ADVERTISEMENT

Mathew Mayer withdraws from draft

How you see yourself when you get all volatile in your replies:
star-wars-vader.gif

How the rest of the board sees you:

yVdpr7.gif

Idk man. I think the guy on the bottom might actually be more dangerous than the guys with the lightsabers. Damn near smacked himself in the face right at the beginning. He'd likely kill himself with a lightsaber before the fight even began.

Why does anyone need to announce they are back.
Are you forgetting that he’s already announced that he’s entering the draft?

THAT’s why. He can’t just stay quiet and come back. Either he formally announces he’s withdrawing his name before the upcoming deadline, or he stays in.

Are you forgetting that he’s already announced that he’s entering the draft?

THAT’s why. He can’t just stay quiet and come back. Either he formally announces he’s withdrawing his name before the upcoming deadline, or he stays in.
He only has to let the nba know.

Your obsession with me is borderline psychotic. You know they see that don't you fried chicken. He just got time out chair like you always get. Yall follow me around like thumb sucking idiots. It's quite the bad look. I have no ideal who bassy is. I ride no buddy buddy trains like you do. You see I'm from Kentucky and live in Kentucky and was born a Kentucky fan. Have at it Fried Chicken 🍗 🐔

funny-did-someone-say-fried-chicken-design-jacob-hughes.jpg
You’re the one that “follows” posters around there bud. You’re like Cal’s little hall monitor. Some of y’all’s love affair with Calipari is extremely strange. Talk about psychotic.

I’ll tell you how. There are a lot of UK fans that hate/strongly dislike Keion for his Rupp comments and the kneeling. In a social media age, or even if it wasn’t, Keion and his family are well aware of that. He wasn’t/isn’t a good enough player for his fan support to overcome those feelings many had.

It’s best for everyone to move on for basketball and non basketball reasons. But it would be looking the other way to not acknowledge that Keion didn’t have the fan support that a 3 year in program player would normally have for more than just his play on the court.
It’s because he played MUCH more than he deserved to play. Even when he played like a school girl, Cal stuck with him for whatever reason. Had Toppin played over him in the second half against St. Peter’s we win that game. Instead, Cal’s dumbass somehow forgot about Toppin. His words, not mine. Some coach.

Is he really though? Meyer averaged 9.8 on 40% (!) shooting. That is a very low number to be shooting. Keion averaged 10.8 on 49.1% shooting. I would prob still take Mayer due to his potential but the way the players performed last season you could def say Keion was better or at least equal.
Mayer shot much better from 3 and it’s not even close. Also, Mayer can actually handle the ball, where Brooks still bounces the ball off his feet and shins constantly. Absolutely, I would take Mayer over Brooks every day of the week.

You’re the one that “follows” posters around there bud. You’re like Cal’s little hall monitor. Some of y’all’s love affair with Calipari is extremely strange. Talk about psychotic.
Now you're an idiot now, now move along. You came after me, I'll sit you straight. You don't know basketball. Show me where I'm taking up for cal you brainless idiot, show me. I'm waiting. Low Fried Chicken follows me around everyday. Ok you think Oscar Meyer is a good player, he will never put on our uniform, NEVER, FACT

Mayer shot much better from 3 and it’s not even close. Also, Mayer can actually handle the ball, where Brooks still bounces the ball off his feet and shins constantly. Absolutely, I would take Mayer over Brooks every day of the week.
He shot 32% from 3 (although his career numbers are alot higher) so it wasnt like Mayer was reliable from 3 at least this past season. Keion was better finishing at the rim, mid range jumpers, and held a better defensive rating by a good amount (and offensive rating.) Also in 9 games against Ranked opponents Mayer scored in double figures only 2 times. Keion scored in double figures 4 times against 9 ranked opponents. I get that Mayer looks good in comparison by just watching him play but that seems to be all your argument is based on (the eye test).

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Now you're an idiot now, now move along. You came after me, I'll sit you straight. You don't know basketball. Show me where I'm taking up for cal you brainless idiot, show me. I'm waiting. Low Fried Chicken follows me around everyday. Ok you think Oscar Meyer is a good player, he will never put on our uniform, NEVER, FACT
You aren’t SETTING anyone straight. Trust me, you’re a Cal nut hugger. I’m sure I could pull up several posts of yours to prove it, but not even worth the time to look. You’re one of those that can’t handle anyone being even the least bit critical of Cal or any UK player.

He shot 32% from 3 (although his career numbers are alot higher) so it wasnt like Mayer was reliable from 3 at least this past season. Keion was better finishing at the rim, mid range jumpers, and held a better defensive rating by a good amount (and offensive rating.) Also in 9 games against Ranked opponents Mayer scored in double figures only 2 times. Keion scored in double figures 4 times against 9 ranked opponents. I get that Mayer looks good in comparison by just watching him play but that seems to be all your argument is based on (the eye test).
Meh, don’t care. Would take Mayer over Brooks every day of the week. Brooks has zero basketball IQ.

Mayer and Brooks are different type players. BUT their per 40min stats (pts, reb, ast, stl, blk, fga) are likely quite similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCat241
You aren’t SETTING anyone straight. Trust me, you’re a Cal nut hugger. I’m sure I could pull up several posts of yours to prove it, but not even worth the time to look. You’re one of those that can’t handle anyone being even the least bit critical of Cal or any UK player.
Whatever floater, if Oscar Meyer was so much better than Keion he would of way out performed him in The 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp. What? He didn't get invited? How could that be? He shoots way much better. What ?? He shoots almost 10 % less from the field. What about from the line? Keion shoots way better from there too!!! You don't know crap about basketball !!! Go back to the team you pulled for before 2015. We don't need ya!!!

Lol, if u think Brooks has zero basketball IQ you would be in for a ride watching Mayer play for UK
I reckon. All I know is that Brooks made some the biggest bonehead mistakes you’ll ever see a UK player make. Also, he doesn’t play hard 80-90% of the time. I’m ecstatic that he’s finally gone, like many others are.

Whatever floater, if Oscar Meyer was so much better than Keion he would of way out performed him in The 2022 NBA G League Elite Camp. What? He didn't get invited? How could that be? He shoots way much better. What ?? He shoots almost 10 % less from the field. What about from the line? Keion shoots way better from there too!!! You don't know crap about basketball !!! Go back to the team you pulled for before 2015. We don't need ya!!!
You don’t know crap about basketball, floater. Yeah right. Derp derp derp derp! 🥴

Does he not like Drew or just hates living in Waco? This still surprises me.
Wouldnt be surprised if it was something with Drew. He would miss an open look and then follow that up by doing something very stupid such as picking up 2 quick cheap fouls or getting beat on a back door and Drew would sit him for 8+ minutes.

Last edited:
Darf was part of the "Sharpe sux" brigade.
Shaedon Sharpe is NOT ready. How hard is that to comprehend? Signs are he is getting there. It wouldn't bother me one bit if he didn't play til SEC Tournament. He will play.
Cal has never had a team like this before here at KY. To predict what he is going to do is stupid. We are experienced and players are getting better.

Go Cats!

And what was said in that meeting with his parents is something No One Knows but I know how basketball works. If you are a 100% healthy, eligible to play and not playing is because you can't beat the people out that are. Have you even seen Sharpe play? Go watch highlights. He is not ready to play against SEC teams.
Next year he will hopefully. Personally I think Cason Wallace will be a better college player

Sharpe and his entourage were extremely smart. First he and his family have already cashed that first check making him ineligible to play college basketball, second, if he did play, he would of been Puff Jr, exposed. He was not helping us last year. Cal knew both of these things after, I said AFTER he got here. Third, he hasn't signed with an agent in waiting cause Washington is his agent in waiting, he's the one that gave the family and Sharpe the Checks to make him ineligible. Good bye Future Slam Dunk champ. You just totally screwed your brand. It won't amount to a bowl of crap now.

Go Cats!!!

Not a chance on this God's green earth of being in top 30 in NPOY. You do not know basketball. I can watch him dribbling in his little one on one drills and see his center of gravity is way to high. I could put someone like Ashton Hagans on him and you wouldn't hear from him all game long, just like Boston his freshmen year here. Who in the hell is talking about Cal you nut licker.

These are just a few examples from page 1:
Pitino coached 8 years and won 219 games. Cal's last 8 years here he has won 213 games and got cheated out of a SEC tournament and NCAA tournament because of Covid.
Cal dominated Pitino's teams.
Pitino flipped KY fans off in Rupp.
Give me some more Pitino!!!
Awesome baby

I don't think that too many people would disagree with you there. We have had 2 deaths on our team last couple years. Maybe we are not looking clearly at the whole picture here with covid, 2 deaths. I remember eating with Bobby Cremins in Hilton Head after one of his players died from Georgia Tech. I can't remember his name but Bobby was a complete mess. It's not an easy thing with coach/player relationship when death is involved. If you never played ball then you wouldn't understand.
Cal sees what's on the table, it's time to set the ship straight. At least he's not doing what Tubby did, he packed his shit and hi-tailed out here at this point.

You never have played ball have you?
NOPE, If your blaming noise is messing up your shot. CAL is not yelling when his own players are shooting. You sit down and shut up. You don't have a clue on what you are talking about

God forbid Cal doesn't jump out of bed and check HOB or Rupps Runts then do an Usain Bolt to the radio to turn on Matt Jones during a day where he goes to Dawson Springs to makes some kids happy. How Dare He!!! The Brutality!!!

So Funny, slam Cal cause he hollers Goooo! Slam Cal cause of Stall Ball. There's a 30 second clock by the way. Which one is it?
McDermott record in NCAA Tournament is 6-10. ONE SWEET SIXTEEN

During Calipari's 13 seasons at UK, no coach in the NCAA Tournament has more wins (31), Final Fours (four), Elite Eights (seven) or Sweet 16s (eight).

OH YEAH McDermott way better in game coach, LMAO

I’d take brooks back. He and flaws but he wasn’t terrible. He just seemed to struggle with focus. Also needed to put on some muscle.

The poor decision making…well making plays with the ball in his hand was clearly not his strength and Cal kept putting him in those possessions so he was kind of being set up to fail.

I would hope if he came back those parts of his game would improve.

I’d take him back though. He’d be a 3 year starter. I know people are excited to see what toppin can bring to the table. I am too. But neither have i seen anything from toppin to indicate hes guaranteed to be better than Keion. He has a better motor. That’s about all we know.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Does he not like Drew or just hates living in Waco? This still surprises me.
I think it’s just this new transfer mania run amok.

Deciding to transfer no longer means a player is unhappy where he is. Nowadays we’re seeing all sorts of guys who already have great situations leaving. It’s so easy to transfer now …with there no longer being a sit out requirement …they figure why not see if you can get an even better deal elsewhere.

Everybody’s a free agent annually in today’s CBB.

When CJ has his annual injury it will be fun having a project like Thiero being forced to play and try to give meaningful minutes.Of course it won't be Cal's fault.
You could still get by pretty easily with staggering minutes between Reeves, Wheeler, and Wallace at the 1 and 2 in that scenario. Thiero might be playing 5 or so minutes then so i wouldnt call them meaningful.

We’re not going to suck. But it’ll be another season with a good but not great team. Come selection sunday we’ll be a strong 2 or 3 seed again i’m sure. but not in the conversation for 1. thanks in large part to an ugly early season loss in a game we should have won against (insert random bubble team) and having a good but not great conference season.

The cheerleaders will say “but if we win the sec tournament…!) completely disregarding a mountain of evidence in recent history suggesting the selection committee gives no value to the sec tournament.
I’m perfectly fine with getting the Top 2 and winning the SEC tournament. That point roll the dice.

This year we looked like hot garbage after getting waxed by UT at Knoxville. Again.

Now if we have a phenomenal season and get bounced in the Sec Toruney? Meh. Sucks but let’s go win a title. I see no evidence of that happening upcoming. I’m excited for Oscar. But as we saw he can’t do it on his own.

Lets see .. A guy that started for a national championship team , or a dud whose basketball IQ would put him riding the short bus most days ? But KB jumps higher , but KB ruins faster , but but but .. you guys sound like cal. Hoops IQ seems to be seriously lacking on many players these days . Give me smart players for a change .

Let’s see .. A guy that started for a national championship team , or a dud whose basketball IQ would put him riding the short bus most days ? But KB jumps higher , but KB ruins faster , but but but .. you guys sound like cal. Hoops IQ seems to be seriously lacking on many players these days . Give me smart players for a change .
Let’s see, wouldn’t these threads go better if people weren’t dishonest about the facts?

Mayer certainly did not “start” for a national championship team. He came off the bench and averaged only about 15 minutes per game that season.

Drew gave away his scholarship while he was in the draft.
Well, sure but that was after he put his name in the transfer portal. You can enter the draft without doing that.

Drew gave away his scholarship because he was not returning there. That doesn't explain why he was looking to leave in the first place, which was the actual question.

Well, sure but that was after he put his name in the transfer portal. You can enter the draft without doing that.

Drew gave away his scholarship because he was not returning there. That doesn't explain why he was looking to leave in the first place, which was the actual question.
Mayer said he was serious about turning pro. Drew decided to give away his scholarship. Mayer put his name in the portal as a backup plan in case turning pro didn't work out.

In previous years, cal would still be recruiting with a roster like this. I do wonder if he's just decided to pack it in.
I have to agree. Unless he's got some super surprise or surprises up his sleeve, there's really no other explanation for leaving the roster so thin. Unless he's stopped leaking info on what he's out doing with regards to recruiting.

Reactions: Nicholascat
Theiro isn’t or shouldn’t be a major contributor in year one lance ware is what he is and that’s not a major contributor. Wheeler and Livingston both have major flaws. Oscar is not a go to scorer, he can you twenty point every now and then but he shouldn’t be a teams number one offensive option. Frederick is injury prone, reeves is making a big jump and a lot of times players like that don’t even get close to matching production, I like Wallace a lot but what makes him special is his play making and defensive potential, he is good offensively not a number one option. Kentucky is going to be in trouble next year. The roster as it stands right now if not overly talented
Wow. You hit the negative on every player. Well done!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT