ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at Old National Bank in Downtown Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you didn't want to answer my question from last night, which is perfectly fine:

You can find poll after poll that says young adults between 18-29 have very different thoughts(negative) about the US compared to what older generations have. There are also millions of examples on social media.

The point is - these kids/young adults are being told at some point, likely college but some high school that the United States is not a good country and that sticks with them. If they are also hearing that at home it only exacerbates that thought.

Combine that^ with constantly being told the world is going to end in X amount of years along with all the other negative news in social media...is it any wonder that age group is having severe mental issues? Add in prescriptions that have random side effects and you've created a ticking time bomb.

So I ask, why not teach them early how great America is before you start in with the negative side? Maybe learning those things will keep those feelings of hopelessness and depression of living in a terrible country from developing and keep them from breaking.

You all might laugh but this is a huge part of the divisiveness and resulting mental issues in this country. It is time to restore American Pride along with civic pride.
I say just teach them history. The good and the bad. Telling them "how great America is" sounds too much like the propaganda that Russia and China teach their kids. On the other hand, there is no reason to teach kids that America is bad. This is a perception thing. Teaching kids about slavery and the civil rights movement is not teaching the kids that America is bad. People that want to eliminate teaching kids about that are wrong.

On the other side, if adults, not kids, would act like adults a quit calling people names because they disagree politically, maybe kids would see that America is a good place. Right now, I know plenty of people that tell their kids and grandkids that you have to be against Democrats or Republicans, whatever side they are on. I was in college before I knew what political party my parents were affiliated with, and only then because I asked.

As a Democrat, I've voted for plenty of Republicans, and continue to do so. I always try to vote for the best candidate for the position. Unfortunately we have become gang members that can't cross lines. I hear kids that have never had a job smart off about how the illegal immigrants are stealing their tax dollars, when they've never paid a dime in taxes. Where did they get that? I've also heard kids say that they are tired of the Republican racists. Where did they get that?

Simply, people need to learn to pull the rope in the same direction instead of pulling it back and forth like we've been doing. I don't know you Dallas, and we obviously have different political ideologies, but, I assume you are a nice enough guy that treats your wife and kids well and pays your taxes. So I see no reason for us to dislike each other. I think we should both encourage people that rule our respective parties to try to meet in the middle on things, instead of a scorched earth, win at all cost, agenda that is obviously tearing our society apart.

Reactions: parrott
More accurate than your claim that high school and colleges are telling kids to hate America and learning about slavery is causing mental illness.
OK. Young people are forming opinions on this country that is not 100% accurate.

Thank you.

Also, I did not say learning about slavery is causing mental illness. I said what they are learning is causing many of them to hate this country, which they do. Combine that with other things and it is no surprise there are so many hopeless and depressed young people.

Respectfully, I’m not reading 135 pages worth of a Supreme Court decision. If you want to, you can summarize it
Respectfully, I don't appreciate people that are willing to spout off opinions about what the government does or doesn't do, without being willing to read and understand what the government does or doesn't do. If you act like a second amendment scholar, at least read what the Court says about it.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Are there not classes in HS and college specifically dedicated to all the negative things about the United States? Would you consider that brainwashing as well?

Is there a harm in teaching kids the positives? Had I said you can only teach the positives then you'd be right.
See here, we are working on compromise. You are willing to admit there are negative things about the United States. We can now work on how we can address them.

See here, we are working on compromise. You are willing to admit there are negative things about the United States. We can now work on how we can address them.
LOL. I'm an old also.

I worked with some kids in college and fresh out the last few years and I'd play that game with them. I'd let them pick something they want and then I'd pick something I want and so on to see if we could come to a compromise. Without fail it would end as soon as I said national voter ID. It was funny to see them lose it on that.

You really think that 13 year olds, with all the other shit they have going on(particularly girls) should be learning about the darkest time in our country? I don't have kids but I can tell you don't either.
At 13 they should absolutely be learning about history. When I was 13, I lived that history and was learning about the Civil War, and still being taught that we (the South) was right. The called it the War of Northern Aggression when I was in school. I was old enough then to realize that slavery was wrong, even though I was taught that it wasn't necessarily wrong. We had a farm, could have used help, but at that age I knew it was wrong to mistreat people. By 13, if you don't realize that it is wrong to mistreat people, you probably never will and will end up mistreating people your entire life.

Do you have kids? It wasn't in regards to that. I was thinking boyfriends and other social issues my niece is dealing with. We see where your head is though.
I've raised 3 girls and two boys, and if you are paying attention the boys have as many girlfriend problems as the girls have boyfriend problems. For someone without kids that seems to be from a younger generation, you are awfully misogynistic.

• Haha
Reactions: UK_Dallas
Well tell me where I'm wrong then genius.

Do you have stats that our education system is not a contributing factor in the mental health of children and young adults?
Asking someone to prove a negative is unfair. If you show stats that the education is contributing, maybe a discussion can be had. But can you show me evidence that three men from Mars didn't affect the Lakers' game last night? See my point?

Youre barking up the wrong tree. I dont own any guns. Republicans are 100% in favor of passing mental health legislation and common sense gun laws. If Democrats would stop trying to tack on pork barrel projects or legislation they know Pubs will never agree to like they did with this last bill, itd get passed. The problem is the left has shown time and again that if you give them an inch they will take a mile. It's not right wing 2A guys shooting these places up. If you'd admit that is a problem for time immemorial, take some ownership of it, and why we can't sit down at the table to pass common sense legislation, I'd at least respect you and others on here.
They are shooting up as many as left wings are. https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...graphics-of-Mass-Public-Shooters-1024x951.jpg

LOL. I'm an old also.

I worked with some kids in college and fresh out the last few years and I'd play that game with them. I'd let them pick something they want and then I'd pick something I want and so on to see if we could come to a compromise. Without fail it would end as soon as I said national voter ID. It was funny to see them lose it on that.
I am liberal, I'm involved in my local elections, and have never met anyone that thinks people shouldn't have to show an ID to vote. Who are these unicorns that you people talk about?

This is a “game” you play with people 30 years younger than you??

I’ll say this once again — you are REALLY weird.

Respectfully, I don't appreciate people that are willing to spout off opinions about what the government does or doesn't do, without being willing to read and understand what the government does or doesn't do. If you act like a second amendment scholar, at least read what the Court says about it.
Respectfully, there is a reason that summaries exist. If Congress can introduce bills that are thousands of pages and then vote on those bills within a matter of days without reading every single word of what's in them then I really don't think it's that big of a deal to ask for a simple summary of what another poster on a sports message board was trying to say.

Respectfully, there is a reason that summaries exist. If Congress can introduce bills that are thousands of pages and then vote on those bills within a matter of days without reading every single word of what's in them then I really don't think it's that big of a deal to ask for a simple summary of what another poster on a sports message board was trying to say.
He posted a link to one of the the Supreme Court’s most recent decisions about the 2nd Am. and state’s attempts to place restrictions on the right to bear arms. I think he thought it a good primer on the subject.

He posted a link to one of the the Supreme Court’s most recent decisions about the 2nd Am. and state’s attempts to place restrictions on the right to bear arms. I think he thought it a good primer on the subject.
Right and I'm not doubting that since that's clearly relevant. At the same time, it was 135 pages that I did not ask to read so if he wanted to include it in the conversation then I simply asked him to summarize it which he did.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
The sad reality is that this story will be gone in a few days and totally out of the media cycle. It’ll be replaced by some other story of interest or shock value. And then it will happen again and the cycle will repeat.

On a personal level what’s frustrating is having near zero ability to change it. If I had all the time and money I’d look realistically at some sort of mental health outreach program, but I don’t have that.

There is a question as to how much the story should be in the national news. This whack job decided he was dying and he wanted to take others with him. He knew he would get the publicity he received and it would be irresponsible to think that played no role in his decision. He wanted the infamy associated with mass murders that the media provides. A nobody in life, notorious in death. Maybe our response breeds the next mass killer.

Reactions: LOL_Man
There is a question as to how much the story should be in the national news. This whack job decided he was dying and he wanted to take others with him. He knew he would get the publicity he received and it would be irresponsible to think that played no role in his decision. He wanted the infamy associated with mass murders that the media provides. A nobody in life, notorious in death. Maybe our response breeds the next mass killer.
Exactly. They mimic and learn from the previous event. They study all the way back to Columbine. The dress the same way and arm the same way. The new thing we will continue to see is the live stream of them doing it. Mentally ill "kids" have always killed themselves but now they see they can have infamy. They see how the media reacts and how much grief they cause. Paying all of us back now for the grief the world has caused them. So to your point, the coverage feeds on itself. The best way to curtail these events is to not cover them. But because "when it bleeds it leads".....in this click based media it is good for business.

Louisville mayor says gun used in deadly bank shooting will be auctioned off under Kentucky law

Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg announced that the gun used in Monday's mass shooting will be sold at auction as Kentucky law prevents law enforcement from destroying confiscated firearms, even when they're used in crimes.

Greenburg said in a press conference that all confiscated firearms not kept for official use will be sold at auction to licensed dealers. Under state law, the Kentucky State Police will conduct the auction and keep 20% of the sale proceeds for departmental use. The rest of the proceeds will be given to the Kentucky Office of Homeland Security.

Good grief.

What's the argument against banning the AR-15, or at least making it MUCH more difficult to purchase? I've fired one several times but can't for the life of me understand why anyone would need to own one.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
What's the argument against banning the AR-15, or at least making it MUCH more difficult to purchase? I've fired one several times but can't for the life of me understand why anyone would need to own one.

Fundamentally it starts with, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
What was the intent of that amendment?

A war had just been fought against an oppressive government, and the founders wanted to ensure the American government would not infringe upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Obviously the first thing an oppressive government will do is ensure the people cannot fight back against the oppression.

It seems with these shootings that a lot of the time we find out the shooter recently bought the weapon legally within a short time frame. In this particular shooting, it was April 4th, just days before the act. What if he had to wait 30 days? 90 days? What are the chances that he cooled down? What if someone had recognized he needed more help than he was getting during those days he would have had to wait and got him the help he needed? Obviously we just don't know. The argument can be made that he would have just bought something illegal and went on with the plan. The argument can also be made that he possibly could have cooled down and come to his senses.

I was raised with guns in rural Kentucky and lean right politically. Own guns now. My business actually manufactured gun parts (not AR) on a couple different contracts several years ago. I want the government to stay out of my personal life and small business as much as possible. I feel like I'm a pretty typical American and there are a whole lot more of me than the mid to extreme right/left.

That said, I know that beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not care one tiny bit to have to wait to purchase any gun that is typically used in mass shootings if I thought there was a chance that a restriction like that would save even one life. Just one life. I wouldn't feel like my rights were being violated in any way. Make it a 6 month wait time and extensive background check that includes medical records for all I care. I mean, I have to jump through more hoops to drive my company truck that I OWN than I do to buy a weapon with all the fixin's. That's messed up to me. I am active in my church and attend regularly but I'm getting pretty tired of seeing "sending thoughts and prayers". It's time to do something. And for heaven's sake, destroy any weapon that's been used in a deadly attack instead of putting it up for auction.

Concerning the UK_Dallas school thing. I just watched a middle school baseball game where every player on both teams removed their head gear, held their hand over their heart and faced the proper direction towards the flag as the national anthem played and did so until the very last note. I can't say that for the parents and grandparents in the crowd. I see that same scenario play out at every game I attend regardless of sport. So yea, both of my kids have learned about slavery, redlining, Jim Crow laws, etc. and turned out just fine as far as love of America.

The other argument is that if you know and understand guns there are actually worse weapons just as easy to get.

Oddly enough, people that carry out mass shootings gravitate toward the AR-15 regardless of what gun knowledgeable people know.

It’s the oddest spin job I’ve witnessed, as if they can’t understand why a crazy would choose that weapon!

So yea, both of my kids have learned about slavery, redlining, Jim Crow laws, etc. and turned out just fine as far as love of America.

Is anyone trying to prevent slavery, redlining, or Jim Crow from being taught in school? There may be, but I don't think those topics are the issue with "teaching kids to hate America." The issue is with the conclusions that are drawn from those facts. The left likes to equate CRT with Black history, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Black history doesn't separate kids into oppressor and victim classes, CRT does. Black history doesn't drive teachers to perpetuate the ideas of white fragility and white guilt, CRT does. As far as I know, no school is saying "hey kids, now it's time for our CRT unit," but they're certainly allowing ideas from CRT to creep into the curriculum. It's insidious, by design; that's what we need to prevent.

Reactions: CB3UK
I mentioned universal background checks earlier in this thread.

Taking it further, I’d look into requiring a license to own any type of weapon. The weapons that are currently illegal for anyone without a permit would remain illegal without that specific permit.

But a license would be required to own any to start. To obtain the license, a mental health evaluation would be required as well as a background check. You would have to renew it annually and get a new mental health evaluation.

I’d also require background checks for any new guns purchased between that annual renewal time period.

All private sales of guns would have to be transferred through a licensed broker who is required to perform background checks on all sales.

This is a start. If we can make an age restriction for who can own a pistol or make super strict requirements to own an automatic weapon then we can also require mental health evals for people to own a gun.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
I think too little is being made about the fact that this shooter live streamed his rampage on Instagram. IMO, social media is the one common denominator in most/all of the mass shootings of the past 15-20 years. Some have live streamed the shootings and nearly all have active social media histories with plenty of "red flags" visible. What causes someone to commit an atrocity like that is of course a great question. The follow up question is what causes someone to commit an atrocity like that and want their friends and family to see it as well.

Sorry @CatManDoo , I don't watch Fox News or CNN. I know one of them want me to believe that schools are teaching my kids to hate America. They don't and neither do their friends. I volunteer for games in 3 different sports in both high school and middle school and come in contact with a lot of students throughout the week. I see far more disrespect for America among adults than kids. My oldest is in college and is a typical college kid and I don't see it with him or his friends either. I guess I'm naive enough to think that "HATE AMERICA!" is not as prevalent in schools as the media would like me to believe.

Reactions: Tskware
Taking it further, I’d look into requiring a license to own any type of weapon.
An interesting idea I heard several years ago, after the Paducah shooting, was about requiring insurance for firearms. Insurance companies would definitely require everything you mentioned about background and mental health checks while providing a financial incentive to not own assault weapons or handguns. An older person who owns a couple of long guns would obviously be a low rate, while a young person with issues wouldn’t be able to provide insurance to purchase an assault type weapon in the first place.

An interesting idea I heard several years ago, after the Paducah shooting, was about requiring insurance for firearms. Insurance companies would definitely require everything you mentioned about background and mental health checks while providing a financial incentive to not own assault weapons or handguns. An older person who owns a couple of long guns would obviously be a low rate, while a young person with issues wouldn’t be able to provide insurance to purchase an assault type weapon in the first place.
That sounds like an unconstitutional infringement, especially for minorities who we are told cannot afford to even obtain a photo ID.

I think too little is being made about the fact that this shooter live streamed his rampage on Instagram. IMO, social media is the one common denominator in most/all of the mass shootings of the past 15-20 years. Some have live streamed the shootings and nearly all have active social media histories with plenty of "red flags" visible. What causes someone to commit an atrocity like that is of course a great question. The follow up question is what causes someone to commit an atrocity like that and want their friends and family to see it as well.
Shows that these events are feeding on themselves, the coverage, and the attention they bring. These are mentally ill individuals.

I mentioned universal background checks earlier in this thread.

Taking it further, I’d look into requiring a license to own any type of weapon. The weapons that are currently illegal for anyone without a permit would remain illegal without that specific permit.

But a license would be required to own any to start. To obtain the license, a mental health evaluation would be required as well as a background check. You would have to renew it annually and get a new mental health evaluation.

I’d also require background checks for any new guns purchased between that annual renewal time period.

All private sales of guns would have to be transferred through a licensed broker who is required to perform background checks on all sales.

This is a start. If we can make an age restriction for who can own a pistol or make super strict requirements to own an automatic weapon then we can also require mental health evals for people to own a gun.
People following the law as do millions of Americans would comply until thrown out by SCOTUS due to it being totally unconstitutional. Do you really think killers follow the rules? They would simply steal the gun or get from a thriving black market as they do now.

People following the law as do millions of Americans would comply until thrown out by SCOTUS due to it being totally unconstitutional. Do you really think killers follow the rules? They would simply steal the gun or get from a thriving black market as they do now.
Well then, I guess we go nothing and innocent people continue to get shot in places they should be safe. But at least we have our guns.

Reactions: BluegrassBlake
Also, what is unconstitutional about requiring a mental health evaluation to obtain a firearm? Is it not illegal to own a firearm if you have certain types of mental illnesses? No one is keeping you from getting your gun. But if it’s illegal to own one with a mental illness then it isn’t crazy to be required to pass an evaluation first.

Why not figure out if the person is crazy before they buy it? Instead we figure out a week after they bought it, once they have slaughtered many innocent lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT