ADVERTISEMENT

Football ***** Mark Stoops Postgame Press Conference - SoMiss *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY

MARK STOOPS Q&A:

* Brock did a super job of managing the game in his first game in this stadium. Liked the overall operation of the offense tonight. Had one situation where comms were acting up, but overall, a good night.

* Liked how BVG bought time, scrambled, and hit some plays down the field by keeping it alive.

* You saw a glimpse of the better rhythm we'd like to play with.

* Defense was pretty solid. Gave up a 2nd and long early in the game, frustrated me, but heckuva job creating turnovers. We can build off this. It's a start. Have to get back to work. We have a big league game next week.

* Young RBs did a really nice job with their opportunities. Some nice stuff from Patterson.

* Can't begin to thank the fans enough for what the did tonight, hanging in there, rooting us on. "Truly amazing."

* BVG played like I thought he would, but you never really know for sure until you get out there for real. He looked like Will Levis on a couple of those runs. Ran tough.

* On Barion Brown's end-arounds... Picked up some tough yards on the perimeter. Such an important part of the game now. Keeps your running game balanced with the inside stuff.

* Pop Dumas-Johnson... Immediate impact play. Joked with him on the sidelines that he didn't think he had it in him. He said, "I've been telling you I do!" A little more sudden than you might think.

* Feel good about the defensive front. Still bringing a couple of guys along, but we want to mix it up and play a lot of guys up front, get after the QB. Pretty good effort tonight.

* On first game working with Bush Hamdan as OC... Operated like I anticipated he would. Really liked how he operated during scrimmages and practices when I listened in on the offense. Very calm and cool.

* On the O-Line... Liked what I saw. Mixed things up, hit them with some different schemes.

* On that 4th-and-1 where they kicked the FG... Said the chain gang was screwed up, and it looked like it was going to be 4th and 2 or 3. Would have gone for it if he knew it was 4th and 1.

BROCK VANDAGRIFF Q&A:

* Tough to get mentally ready through all those delays tonight, but did the best he could. Same situation for both teams. Can't complain about it.

* On running the ball tonight... Felt good running it. Did his best to protect himself. "Just tried to get some yards for the boys."

* Tried to take what the defense gave him. Went through his first and second reads, then tried to expand the play if the rush and coverage allowed it. Guys did a great job continuing to work and get open.

* Barion Brown is one of the best players in CFB. You'd be crazy not to try and get it in his hands as much as possible.

* Gonna be tough to wake up for church tomorrow, he says with a laugh. Way past my bedtime.

* We want to get lined up fast and play fast on offense. We can get some of the prime looks we're looking for when we do that. You can tell guys are fired up when we have that tempo.

POP DUMAS-JOHNSON Q&A:

* On his INT... Felt good. They were riding me down two plays in a row, trying to get it over my head, so I tried to get my hand up on that one and knock it down. Got the pick.

* On BVG... First game as a starter, didn't have any expectations, just wanted him to go out and play freely and show what he can do. Expectations only go up from here. SEC opponent next week. Gotta tighten it up.

* On defensive 3rd downs... Started to figure out what they were doing, made some adjustments.

* Ball is ball. We were going to stay out here 'til midnight if we had to. (They almost did).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.