ADVERTISEMENT

Mark it down

I don't pretend to know why he has embraced the suck. But if what you're saying is true, one of the myriad of assistant coaches he's been through, or one of the current assistants, would have used this info as a step up for themselves. Or ratted him out out of a sense of decency.
Look how much time Bruce Pearl spent in D2 purgatory for being a rat. It’s not the move for guys in that fraternity.

IDK I think the “behind the scenes” is pretty simple and doesn’t need to involve a shadowy conspiracy/Manchurian candidate.

Cal has a galaxy sized ego. When he came to UK he thought he could recruit the best of the best and just win with that. For about 6 years it worked and his ego grew. He could win and get tons of guys to the NBA. He was the trailblazer of OAD and no one else could do it like him.

But then the game continued to change and Cal is getting up there in years. IMO the shelf life of a UK coach is about 10-12 years. Just too demanding to win at that high of a level for longer than that. He’s grown stale and the game has passed him by.

But having a giant ego he’s holding on as long as he can. The $ isn’t bad either.

At this point Cal to me is just kind of a sad has been who can’t face reality. Any of the details of the how and why behind the scenes is secondary to the fact that Cal is just washed up to coach at the highest level that we expect.
It is sad. That would be like me getting out my old tight clothes from 30 years ago when I was in incredible shape and strutting around like I still am at 50

Reactions: travisbickle
If you are the previous poster that i think you are you then I agree with you. You tried to tell us about him years ago. Am I wrong ?

It’s not paranoia if they’re really after you

- John Caliapri

Good to see you Westerncat. My family comes from Mayfield originally.

As to the rest of the posters not buying it, Calipari has done things the last few years that deny logic. Notice even the national media was confused. No, he didn’t suddenly decide starting your best players was a bad idea. He didn’t suddenly think roster lineups can be changed every other day. He don’t suddenly decide playing your best lineup together was a bad idea. He didn’t suddenly forget how to beat 15 seeds. Let’s get real for a second.

He didn’t suddenly go from dominant to crap awful. The guy signed that contract knowing he wanted to go out eventually. He’s been trying to be bought out and the brass doesn’t want to pay him they want him to finish his deal. It’s as clear as day. So he’s tanking it to force it.

It really couldn’t be more clear. When I was told what was happening with a few people, I knew it. Just look at how he coached in 2011 and look now. It’s intentional.

Last edited:
Eh. Coaches get hairs in their butts and do this sometimes.
Was their something behind the scenes that Askew kept starting.
Pitino started Jeff Sheppard and Chris Harrison over Anthony Epps at POINT GUARD.
Nothing nefarious, just stupidity.

I think it's pretty simple, Cal just trusts these kids too much. He truly believes if he just supports and trusts his players enough they'll figure it out and the team would win. It's why he continually tells guys like DJ and Mitchell to shoot open 3s even when they keep missing. Sometimes it works out, like when he continued to play Bradshaw against Florida and he hit the game winning three.

It worked out quite a bit the first half of his tenure. It hasn't worked out in the past few years. There's no grand conspiracy, it's just Cal thinking if he supports and trust his guys enough they'll make the right play when it counts.

Reactions: shodaman
This is why it’s imperative that Calipari be fired. He sold his soul to the devil for Wagner, Bradshaw and Edwards thought they would be the key to the team and guaranteed multiple spots for two of them whereas Reeves Shepherd and Dillingham were the best players and two of them had to set the bench because of guarantees to others Time to get his butt out of Lexington

Reactions: RunninRichie
still doesn't answer why the want for Pitino to coach here again
I never said I wanted pitino back here. I certainly did when he got fired from Boston. I would have moved on from tubby and got Rick back in here. Tubby was struggling mightily at that time and timing was perfect and had that happened no telling what things look like now for the past 20 plus years. Can almost guarantee we would have more than 1 championship and probably still have our streak in tact of making the NCAAT. Cal has missed twice in 15 seasons which is pretty unfathomable.

I disagree. I think cal is stupid!!!!
I disagree.
I think Cal is devious. Not stupid. That stupid spill of his is a big show.
Cal wants OUT OF HERE as bad as most of the UK fans want him out, IMO.
Cal hates this place.

He just wants Mitch to write him a big retirement buyout check for the total sum of the remaining contract so he can ride off on his terms, a very wealthy man, for doing nothing the last 6 years of his contract.

I think the OP is over valuing the rationality of Calipari.

He has either lost all reason in the last several years or he is intentionally doing this because someone pissed him off and he knows his legacy is nba contracts and not college success.

Neither option is good for any party involved, but knowing a team’s offense and defense they will run the entire game and not game planning for it is absolutely intentional.

Could be right but when he says players first program, believe him! He has shown over and over that the goals of individual players supersede that of the team. Listen to his press conferences, he clearly sees UK as the stepping stone to success and as the means to assure kids reach their dreams. I honestly do not believe there is anything more or less to it than this..listen to what he is saying.. has nothing to do with basketball, UK, or winning. Even La Familia is about him and the players, not UK or the fans.

Cal guaranteed DJ (and his daddy) a starting spot, not realizing there would be two better options. I think it’s as simple as that.
And the same for edwards.
But of course they "earned" it by their stellar play

making a what if is stupid I just can't understand why all the love for an asshole that left us went to our biggest rival and flipped the fan base off after getting his ass kicked
I can’t believe anyone is upset over Rick flipping off the fans. He was walking out of the arena and the fans were heckling him and he flipped them off. who wouldn’t?

Reactions: Doodah859
I disagree.
I think Cal is devious. Not stupid. That stupid spill of his is a big show.
Cal wants OUT OF HERE as bad as most of the UK fans want him out, IMO.
Cal hates this place.

He just wants Mitch to write him a big retirement buyout check for the total sum of the remaining contract so he can ride off on his terms, a very wealthy man, for doing nothing the last 6 years of his contract.
He is Stupid when it comes to his profession. He was given the keys to the palace! He could have cemented his coaching legacy as one of the all time greats and possibly put his face on the Mount Rushmore of coaches. All it took with his recruiting prowess was determination and desire to want to be in that discussion. He was wealthy beyond measure even before the ridiculous lifetime contract. He was always leaving here rich, but now he will leave here a hated/despised man (at least by Many). He will be hated more than a coach who flipped off the fanbase. All his goodwill from 2009-2015 will be forgotten, He will be remembered for 2021-2024 (and possibly beyond) more than he will the former. He overtakes dean smith in futility of coaches who failed with all the talent they had. He leaves a laughingstock with questions of did he ever know how to coach. He leaves as a fraud, a con man, a snakeoil salesman and any other derogatory term one can come up with. Whatever he leaves as he just needs to leave sooner rather than later as it’s only going to get worse from here.

Eventually we will find out that there was something going on behind the scenes this year.

When a normally rational person does something repeatedly irrational, there is a reason for it.

Cal has not, in the past, consistently run a substandard lineup to start games and halves. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and no rational coach would have started Wagner and Edwards this year the way Cal has. It is irrational and it cost us games.

Therefore, something is going on that has convinced Cal that it is in his OWN best interests to start those two, regardless of the consequences. Everybody in the known galaxy knew if he kept throwing Wagner and Edwards out there, we would lose in the NCAAT. Even Cal knew that, because he isn't stupid. He's never done anything like this before in any other season except for 2021 with Askew and Boston.

So what's going on? Is he being paid to showcase those two? Does he have a figurative gun to his head?

We will find out eventually. Hopefully it isn't in a "tell-all" book by one of the players.

The clincher will be when Reed departs for the NBA. Then you know he's had it with Cal and his nonsense favoritism.
So you think this is bigger than bringing in a player and then allow he and his posse to dictate whether he plays or not when others are obviously playing hurt?

This board's most favorite coach is Rick Pitino, and Calipari owned Pitino. So the idea that Calipari was ever a bad coach is just nonsense.
He owned Patino because he had the highest rated five stars on his team and the portal and NIL were not relevant. If they had equal players. Pitino beats Cal every time as a coach, IMO.

All imo:

The reason I said 3 years ago he will burn it down is because I knew some things from someone who kind of knows a thing or two about the program. I know Calipari well from his past stop. i know someone from his old coaching stop. The information you’re getting isn’t all of it but it’s 100% true imo 100%. Imo.

It’s possible Calipari and the administration are at war he wants the money and wants them to cave. If they don’t, he is going to tank it. They know what he’s doing and don’t want to pay him. They want him to go by the contract.

All anyone has to do is pay attention. The guy suddenly can’t beat 15 seeds and look what he did to keep the roster screwed up all year. I think (my opinion) He’s been doing this for a while and if we don’t get rid of him he’s going to burn it down. I might or might not eventually make a post about it all, I’m just waiting to get more later this week. This isn’t an insider thing either it’s clear as day imo.

All of it is my own opinion based on several factors. But no a guy doesn’t suddenly forget that starting players matter, or forgets how to beat 15 seeds. This isn’t about promises. This is about his plan when he signed that contract.

Calipari does not care about his players, this program, or anyone but himself. Notice how he totally tanked Wagner’s draft stock this season. It’s all anyone needs to see. I’m very afraid for the program until he’s out. Calipari is a really bad guy who knows how to sell and lie. I feel really bad for players like Wagner who got caught up in his web. Sheppard too.

This is another reason we need Kentucky men back in control of this program. This is what happens when the men who love our program are pushed out in favor of what we have now. That was the mistake that will kill our dominance and nobody pays any attention to it. None of this happens if our gatekeepers were in any control.

Again just my opinion and if someone thinks it’s crazy I’m actually in favor of hearing it because Calipari scares the shit out of me. I was scared when he got here because I know what he is and I’m terrified now.
That is some silly shit. I don't think Cal is that complicated and I don't think Barnhart is that stupid. Who are the Kentucky men that were pushed out that were in control of the program?

Reactions: Ron Mehico
He is Stupid when it comes to his profession. He was given the keys to the palace! He could have cemented his coaching legacy as one of the all time greats and possibly put his face on the Mount Rushmore of coaches. All it took with his recruiting prowess was determination and desire to want to be in that discussion. He was wealthy beyond measure even before the ridiculous lifetime contract. He was always leaving here rich, but now he will leave here a hated/despised man (at least by Many). He will be hated more than a coach who flipped off the fanbase. All his goodwill from 2009-2015 will be forgotten, He will be remembered for 2021-2024 (and possibly beyond) more than he will the former. He overtakes dean smith in futility of coaches who failed with all the talent they had. He leaves a laughingstock with questions of did he ever know how to coach. He leaves as a fraud, a con man, a snakeoil salesman and any other derogatory term one can come up with. Whatever he leaves as he just needs to leave sooner rather than later as it’s only going to get worse from here.
And just think back a few years.

Memphis fans tried to warn us about this charlatan.

He owned Patino because he had the highest rated five stars on his team and the portal and NIL were not relevant. If they had equal players. Pitino beats Cal every time as a coach, IMO.
Not every time. No.

Eventually we will find out that there was something going on behind the scenes this year.

When a normally rational person does something repeatedly irrational, there is a reason for it.

Cal has not, in the past, consistently run a substandard lineup to start games and halves. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and no rational coach would have started Wagner and Edwards this year the way Cal has. It is irrational and it cost us games.

Therefore, something is going on that has convinced Cal that it is in his OWN best interests to start those two, regardless of the consequences. Everybody in the known galaxy knew if he kept throwing Wagner and Edwards out there, we would lose in the NCAAT. Even Cal knew that, because he isn't stupid. He's never done anything like this before in any other season except for 2021 with Askew and Boston.

So what's going on? Is he being paid to showcase those two? Does he have a figurative gun to his head?

We will find out eventually. Hopefully it isn't in a "tell-all" book by one of the players.

The clincher will be when Reed departs for the NBA. Then you know he's had it with Cal and his nonsense favoritism.
No inside info (and that's the way I like it and want it), but it would appear to have been part of his bedeviling strategy to prop up two kids who weren't adjusting/playing well, or at least to their perceived potential, so as to attract positive NBA exec attention. He can always say to both Edwards and Wagner that he gave them every edge mentally to excel and look good in front of the NBA masses. Given his program philosophy, that's a primary reason for never realistically considering inserting Reed and Rob into the starting lineup. Secondarily, he wasn't ever going to let a bunch of hayseed Basketball Bennies dictate how he ran the team. God forbid if that should happen... Anyone with a rational brain, even those not knowing much about basketball, would know to start your best players, but not someone as stubborn and egotistical as JC. "If it was your son..."

Reactions: cathouse
BBN is turning into a national shit show. Some of our fan base has lost their minds with the outrageous claims as to why Kentucky lost a basketball game.

This thread is full of doo doo.

I hope there's not even a grain of truth to it all.

When Barney is gone a lot of people who supposedly supported him will unload on him. Fact

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT