ADVERTISEMENT

Maria Taylor

Was it just me or did Maria Taylor's interviews after each draft pick get on anyone else's nerves? All she kept doing was try to pull the heart strings on each question. IMO, they just got to be too much and really got under my skin for some reason.
Really

Yeah, it was annoying as hell. She asked questions like:

Your mom died a few years ago. We just got word that she's in heaven right now watching this telecast. What would you like to say to her? OR, Look your dad in the eyes and tell him what he means to you.

Silly.

It's infinitely more interesting than setting each guy up to say he's excited to go to City X and work hard and do what the team needs him to do.

Reactions: UKUGA
All these types of interviews are worthless and serve no purpose. I didn't watch but I know they type on interview. Glad I didn't watch.
Reminds me of the old Roy Firestone show and the types of interviews he would do. Bring up the hardships and things from their past to get a reaction. Pathetic.

All these types of interviews are worthless and serve no purpose. I didn't watch but I know they type on interview. Glad I didn't watch.
Reminds me of the old Roy Firestone show and the types of interviews he would do. Bring up the hardships and things from their past to get a reaction. Pathetic.

That's not really how it went down.

Only a few guys got emotional, and it happened pretty organically.

She asked a few guys about lost loved ones, but it was because they've made it part of their story. A few had one necklaces, etc with pictures, others wore a certain number in memory of a certain person, etc.

It was good interviewing. She wasn't fishing for it.

To me the whole thing was creepy, icky. From her stupid interviews, to the ridiculous 'from another planet' suits and players not wearing socks, to Tyler's watch, to the knuckle headed fans in the stands. Kept reminding me what a theatrical, marketing machine the NBA really is.

She asked a few guys about lost loved ones, but it was because they've made it part of their story. A few had one necklaces, etc with pictures, others wore a certain number in memory of a certain person, etc.

Good. I think she does a good job, was hoping she didn't revert to that type of thing.

I don’t think it happened organically at all with the exception of Zion. After Zion’s response, I think she thought that was awesome so she tried to force it with Ja, RJ, etc. Telling Ja to look at his dad and tell him what he means to you is not organic. That is the definition of fishing.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I don’t think it happened organically at all with the exception of Zion. After Zion’s response, I think she thought that was awesome so she tried to force it with Ja, RJ, etc. Telling Ja to look at his dad and tell him what he means to you is not organic. That is the definition of fishing.

Not when he's talked extensively about the role his dad has played in his career, they highlighted his dad as a former player/teammate of Ray Allen in high school, and his dad is literally standing next to him during the interview while Ja talks about how he's had people around him that made all this possible.

Any journalist in the world knows that's the story in that moment. It's why they have the families introduced with the players, have them sitting beside them in the green room, and have them standing there during the interview.

Just like when international guys get drafted, they ask about their home country, what they know about America/the nba, etc.

So when someone is standing there beside the parent who coached/trained them, or has a necklace on with a deceased relative's face on it, that's the question you ask.

She asked Tyler Herro about being from a small town and about his suit and watch. Because that was the story. That's her job. It's a five hour TV show.

I didn't watch. Just no interest in all the TV hype and hyperbole. I followed it on line draft tracker.
Gonzo is a poster that has good takes and seems very perceptive. I trust his view on this. I just don't have the interest or patience to watch all that other stuff.

What I'm I missing when I look at Maria Taylor? There's some on here that acts like she's the hottest thing since God made Eve. On a scale of 1 thru 10, I would give her a 7 at best.

Definitely felt like espn was trying to make everyone cry. I almost got mad how much I loved Zion after that. But I love Maria Taylor, think she is one of the best reporters espn has but they definitely wanted emotional appeal last night.

Gonzo you can defend it all you want but for me it was over the top. If that’s the type of interview you want, they should have had Barbara Walters doing them. It was annoying and took away from the draft IMO. Others agree with me as well.

I don't want any kind of interview, but I understand why TV stations turn it into a broadcast event.

If you're going to have them, I prefer individualized questions about interesting life situations over canned "what do you bring to the court?" nonsense.

I thought seeing Zion get emotional was great. I don't blame any teenager that cries after achieving their dream and setting their family up financially. We love it when our guys cry after a tournament loss and talk about how much Kentucky means to them.

We're way too far gone to remove the personal story aspect from sports, and I don't know why anyone would want to. But I agree, you and others are free to feel how you want. You just asked if you were the only one. I took that to mean you wanted opinions.

Nothing good or important has ever come from an interview at a sporting event

No interview is needed we all know this is an amazing time in their life, it’s what they always dreamed of, their speechless right now and what else you think they would say WELL this sucks I’m going to be a millionaire!!!

wow, a quick search and it seems like everyone else thought she was outstanding...why? because she made them cry.
wtf?

I have a secret for you.

Most athlete interviews are boring.

Athletes tend to be kind of boring people, at least until they retire, presumably because they spend all their time pursing one not-terribly-cerebral activity in order to be one of the few to make a living off of it.

I consider it a tremendous bonus when an athlete interview doesn't make me want to bash my head against a desk.

I don't consider these human interest stories much of an improvement, but how mad can you really be at Maria? I mean look at her. If I looked like that I'd be intolerable, and she seems downright pleasant.

While we're on the subject, coach interviews are often nearly as bad as player interviews - thank God for coach Cal.

Maria-Taylor-height.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT