ADVERTISEMENT

Make the case for Drew

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
Pretend you're Mitch and you're selling Drew to BBN. Why should we be excited about Drew? I need to at least feel ok'er if/when the seemingly inevitable happens.

Someone explained that he was a couple injuries away from having a nicer tournament resume, and trying to pry the Big 12 away from Kansas isn't easy.

Sell me stock in Scott Drew...

Reactions: BlueSince92
Imagine someone taking over Ole Miss when they were at their absolute lowest point, say after a murder investigation. One player kills another. That person takes over that program, which has no history to begin with, and starts having top 10 to 15 recruiting classes, goes to the NCAA every year, and wins a title. Now, give him UK resources.

Imagine someone taking over Ole Miss when they were at their absolute lowest point, say after a murder investigation. One player kills another. That person takes over that program, which has no history to begin with, and starts having top 10 to 15 recruiting classes, goes to the NCAA every year, and wins a title. Now, give him UK resources.
That sounds like what a lot of teams would love. But I think a blue blood needs a bit more.

gonna be honest idk.

Doesn’t he have one final 4 in like 20 years? That’s not good

Also won a championship during covid year so again did he really prove anything?
Yes he won that title in Covid. But beat a damn good Zaga team to do it. And yet you hear some want Few over Drew.

Regardless, he rebuilt Baylor from NOTHING. He's not a bad hire.

I get people wanted Oats, but he has the same amount of tourney success, if not less. Drew has a title.

Doesn't he have Team USA ties and probably can afford to upgrade assistants here. I'm not one to judge so I'll give anyone a chance. Cal is gone and we are in this rebuild for a few years, it can be worse then Scott Drew. He's gonna build a solid foundation and it's not as easy as hitting the easy button. Let's all put in the work and earn it.

Some people act like a coach will drop anything, no matter their situation, to come to UK. But, they don’t think about what a pretty successful coach can do given UK’s resources. As in a successful guy like Drew won’t be even better @ UK. Drew is better on paper than Pearl , Oats until this week .

That sounds like what a lot of teams would love. But I think a blue blood needs a bit more.
UNC and Duke went with Davis Scheyer.

The only blue blood with a veteran coach is now KU. And they didn't exactly kill it last year, and that was with the Number One Transfer and a couple of other good players.

The old guard is about dead. It's time to change a bit.

Well as I said, and first of all, if it’s not Drew we’re going to begin to fall into some mediocre names. Secondly, Drew has done some impossible things, so take what he’s done at Baylor and imagine a blue blood. . We can’t go another 5 years in the wrong direction. We need safety and a guy that will stabilize us. Drew does that, and brings edge and a top class in.

Our current recruits would play for him too, Reed might consider playing for him.

I’m excited if it’s Drew. Oats is risky to me, Drew is stability. People don’t realize the job he’s done at Baylor is unbelievable. Multiple that by UK.

He’s the best hire we could possible get. If he’s not good enough he will at least have us in the pack. And the guy can COACH.

Drew is closer to five than one on my list but seriously people are acting like the hire is Bryce Drew. The only reason Baylor has any history post-1950 is Scott Drew. He’ll have way more resources of every kind to work with in Lexington. Waco is also a pit, I live an hour away and it makes Lexington look like NYC.

Drew’s performance at Baylor the last ten years is his absolute floor at UK. If he can win a title at freaking Baylor he can win one at Kentucky.

You shouldn't be excited about Drew to be honest. Personally I would rather have had Cal back for a year and find someone else a year from now than have Drew for the next five.

Couldn’t disagree more with this opinion. I mean wow, hard to see. Drew pulled Edgecombe from Calipari and he’s in Waco. He’s won a title in purgatory.

Yes he won that title in Covid. But beat a damn good Zaga team to do it. And yet you hear some want Few over Drew.

I get people wanted Oats, but he has the same amount of tourney success, if not less. Drew has a title.

This isn't the resume booster a lot of people think it is, particularly for UK. We've done pretty well getting fire bellied guys who were on the cusp and had the personality to handle UK.

It's why Oats was the guy.

Quick Edit : I'm also a bit concerned about whether a coaching search actually happened or Mitch called his buddy real quick to do a deal. It's easy for Oats to say no if we never offered. Same for Wright, Donovan etc.

Pretend you're Mitch and you're selling Drew to BBN. Why should we be excited about Drew? I need to at least feel ok'er if/when the seemingly inevitable happens.

Someone explained that he was a couple injuries away from having a nicer tournament resume, and trying to pry the Big 12 away from Kansas isn't easy.

He won at a fb school. That will be Barney’s line. He built this blah blah blah. Drew is a poor man’s cal

Just a few years ago this dude was all the rage on this board thanks to his 4 out offense and winning the title. People said he would drop everything to get to UK. Now that things seem to be coming to fruition, those same people are acting like he can’t coach and isn’t worthy of the UK job.

Only on Raftards lol.

He’s shown some success with the Portal. Turned Davion Mitchell into a top 10 pick and took a Div 3 player and had him average a double/double, and some other successful portal players to go with great recent recruiting classes all at Baylor. He’s not. Sexy hire but a solid coach. Not saying he’d be my first choice but I like him.

Matt Painter is currently coaching in the national championship. Is he any more exciting?

Drew has already been there and won it against Mark few.

Hes gotten good recruits to come play at the dump that is David Koresh land. Not to mention, are we not doing the "I'm sick of OAD" thing all of a sudden?

- Great at Xs and Os
- His teams play great, intense defense
- Plays upperclassmen
- Good recruiter for high school AND portal
- Well respected and not hated by every referee in America
- Class act who won't act like an asshat nonstop
- #1 seed level teams 3 of past 5 years (a stat that I think is being overlooked)
- Won a title at a poverty program

Last edited:
Guys, think about our current recruits that are waiting. Drew can recruit those kinds of players we he’ll definitely be an interest. He’s going to bring Edge, he’s won recruiting battles against Calipari at BAYLOR. I think some people are thinking about Baylor as a better program than it is. It’s only seen that way because of him, that’s it.

Scott Drew is ready for a blue blood. If he doesn’t work to what we want he will at least stabilize us. We will not turn into Indiana with him at the helm. Stacey and Jeff will like him, Reed might stay to play for him. Everyone wants Oats and he’s done well too, but he’s far more hot / cold than Drew and Drew has sealed the deal. He would probably have two titles right now if it weren’t for Covid. There’s no way this isn’t a better hire than Oats. Not from where we sit today. Calipari just beat the breaks off oats a few months ago. I know that’s not the end all but Oats could easily go south as he could hitting a homer.

Let’s go with Drew. He’s a great floor coach too, let’s get behind this.

Last edited:
Just a few years ago this dude was all the rage on this board thanks to his 4 out offense and winning the title. People said he would drop everything to get to UK. Now that things seem to be coming to fruition, those same people are acting like he can’t coach and isn’t worthy of the UK job.

Only on Raftards lol.
But like Cal, what has he done lately?

We will still land 5 stars, shoots 3’s, and will field top 10-15 teams more often than not. Has proven he can win the conference (a tough one) and conference tournament and get it done for a Natty with the right squad.

If we get a good coach it will be Scott Drew that's who Barnhart likes....

The Cal fans are going to be upset, regardless of who we get.

Just the way it is. Hopefully, some of them will head on over to the Hog board and continue their love affair over there.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and mattrudd
Scott Drew is a perfectly fine guy to offer a three-year probationary contract to AFTER you've formally offered about EIGHT other guys first.

But our no-backbone AD probably wrote off almost all those other EIGHT guys without even asking just because he heard rumors. And if he did talk to any of those other EIGHT guys, then probably what he did is get on the phone in his most sheepish voice (which is saying something) and say "Hey, would you be interested in our job?" as opposed to putting together a full package and saying, "This much money is yours and these guarantees are yours if you come: turn it down if you want to but not till you've heard the rest of it."

AND our AD isn't the kind of guy to offer this sort of perfectly good B-TIER coach any 3-year probationary contract.

If this is real, this is a throw-the-bank-at-Scott-Drew-including-an-EIGHTY-MILLION-DOLLAR-buyout deal if it's a dime.

AND the only reason in the world Mitch would do that is if he is acting emotionally right now, trying to one-up Cal because Cal really blindsided him when he left for Arkansas unexpectedly and Mitch is in get-back-at-Cal mode.

I hope this Drew stuff is all hoaxes and rumors and I can eat these words.

There's a place to offer Scott Drew but it's not remotely now.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
He built Baylor from nothing. He can revitalize this program.

He's more likely to lose 10+ games and flame out in the second round than he is to revitalize our program, although a second round loss is still an upgrade.

Yes, he won a championship during the COVID year but he's been really mediocre around that including 8 out of 12 double digit loss seasons going back to 2012 (which is well out of the OMG Baylor was obliterated phase).

I'll just say this about him, if everyone else said no, I'm fine with the choice. But if Barney didn't call anyone else and just hip fired this hiring, it's possibly the worst decision he could have made short of bringing Cal back a year (which he also did).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT