ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie mgbako

Dontworryboutit23

All-American
Jan 4, 2022
Just saw where he is probably committing next week. It’s down to Kentucky duke Memphis and Ohio state

I was going to ask I don’t know a lot about his recruitment but it wouldn’t surprise me at this point

We've beaten Duke for exactly one RSCI top 5 kid since Julius Randle chose Kentucky over them.

One. That was Brandon Boston.

Since that time, we've lost to them for the following (RSCI top 5 only):

Okafor
Ingram
Tatum
Giles
Bagley
Barrett
Reddish
Williamson
Carey
Lively
Flipowski
Banchero

We're not beating Duke for this kid. He'll be Scheyer's first "I'm a big boy now" recruit in the the wake of the UNC loss/Coach K retirement hangover, and a very timely one at that.

It's sad that not only do we not eat first anymore, but we seem to be pretty far down the current pecking order. We are definitely behind the other three main blue bloods.

The kids today don't even remember when Cal used to get the BEST point guard in every single class. Every one. Now? We have to go to the portal.

I think he was a Duke Lock from the getgo. Not surprising. Really don't think he is even the best sf in this class. Think Evans would be a better fit or JJ taylor. He's elite, but not offensively.

• Haha
Reactions: JimboSlice00
Nolan Smith was lead recruiter at Duke. Interesting with the timing. Hope that pushes him away from Duke but I’ll guess we will find out next week.
Not sure how much it matter that Smith is leaving for Louisville. Smith was only an assistant coach for one season, not sure it will impact them all that much.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Duke will probably get him and Tyrese Proctor(another very good international prospect committing tomorrow I think) over the next week. That along with presumed NBA announcements here will make the board very happy I’m sure……

I remember Calipari saying that he doesn’t want to rely on the transfer portal for recruiting but would rather recruit high school kids. If he wants to go that route, then he has to have a better plan mapped out because kids don’t get all giddy about a UK offer unless it’s a Kentucky kid.
With what’s about to happen at Louisville under Kenny Payne, just made his job that much harder.

I remember Calipari saying that he doesn’t want to rely on the transfer portal for recruiting but would rather recruit high school kids. If he wants to go that route, then he has to have a better plan mapped out because kids don’t get all giddy about a UK offer unless it’s a Kentucky kid.
With what’s about to happen at Louisville under Kenny Payne, just made his job that much harder.
Cal has lost his fastball

It's sad that not only do we not eat first anymore, but we seem to be pretty far down the current pecking order. We are definitely behind the other three main blue bloods.

The kids today don't even remember when Cal used to get the BEST point guard in every single class. Every one. Now? We have to go to the portal.
But everything is fine according to Cal and those that believe him

Somebody needs to inform Mgbako, that when practice starts at Duke this coming season that Mike Krzyzewski ain't walking through that door.
I wouldn't bet on that...he'll probably still be making out the practice schedule this year to ensure it doesn't conflict w/ his nap time, and his mummified carcass will be put in the trophy case after he kicks, is my guess

Just going by the kid’s recent comments... he seemed to speak most glowingly about Ohio State.

Reactions: Kcats88
We've beaten Duke for exactly one RSCI top 5 kid since Julius Randle chose Kentucky over them.

Okafor
Ingram
Tatum
Giles
Bagley
Barrett
Reddish
Williamson
Carey
Lively
Flipowski
Banchero

We're not beating Duke for this kid. He'll be Scheyer's first "I'm a big boy now" recruit in the the wake of the UNC loss/Coach K retirement hangover, and a very timely one at that.
I can't hate this enough.

Okafor
Ingram
Tatum
Giles
Bagley
Barrett
Reddish
Williamson
Carey
Lively
Flipowski
Banchero

Not that it matters now but I thought Julius Randle was a lock for Kansas? I

Speaking of Kevin Knox, can you believe he's still on 22 years old and he'll be 22 years old until August 11th. Funny thing is he averaged 12.8 points in his first season and then went in to a freefall. Of course when I see him in games anymore he still looks like the guy that glides off of his ability instead of wanting to eat people's soul.

Behind Kansas in recruiting? UNC?
That's not accurate
If Sharpe had stayed in his class we were #2 .

Somebody needs to inform Mgbako, that when practice starts at Duke this coming season that Mike Krzyzewski ain't walking through that door.
He’ll still be plenty involved. He’ll be the puppet master to Scheyers puppet. That’s why Amaker wasn’t considered. I’m sure that fact is being relayed to their recruits.

Last edited:
All these coaches getting top talent are identifying who the top kids are early and offering them their junior year. UK on the other hand, is waiting it out because it’s Kentucky, thinking these kids would love nothing more than a scholarship offer and that is not the case and hasn’t been in a long time.
If it wasn’t for Reed Shepherd growing up a Kentucky fan then we would probably have no commitments from the 2023 class. Calipari and the staff need to start showing their worth when it comes to recruiting better talent.

I always thought Edwards would be our SF for 2023 but haven't heard anything UK related with him lately. My guess is Taylor goes pro and Cook is off the board. No worries though they'll be somebody from Quinnipiac enter the portal and we'll get him.

All these coaches getting top talent are identifying who the top kids are early and offering them their junior year. UK on the other hand, is waiting it out because it’s Kentucky, thinking these kids would love nothing more than a scholarship offer and that is not the case and hasn’t been in a long time.
If it wasn’t for Reed Shepherd growing up a Kentucky fan then we would probably have no commitments from the 2023 class. Calipari and the staff need to start showing their worth when it comes to recruiting better talent.
ccc has always been late in offering kids, that worked the 1st couple of years, now it doesn't even get a sniff

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT