ADVERTISEMENT

Mac McClung at Georgetown

When? Like when your fandom got exposed a few weeks ago? I kept quiet on that, when I probably shouldnt.

LOL. No, please, do tell.
Nothing backfired on me, just because someone named some decent 3stars on much worse programs than Kentucky. It was an easy challenge: theres thousands of 3-stars over the last decade.

Yeah, I know it was easy, that's why it was stupid for you to issue a "name me" challenge. Most people with a modicum of intelligence would've known that post was likely to backfire before hitting the button. Yet I've seen you walk into that trap time and time again over the years.
Nothing backfired on me, just because someone named some decent 3stars on much worse programs than Kentucky..

Oh, so they're just "decent"? Well, just for the heck of it, here's a few other guys who were only a three star or, in quite a few cases, even lower:

Steph Curry, Dwyane Wade, Victor Oladipo, Ja Morant, Gordon Hayward, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green,Frank Kaminsky, Jameer Nelson,Trey Burke, Jimmer Fredette, Grant Williams, Donte Divincenzo, Carsen Edwards, Adam Morrison, Jarrett Culver, Doug McDermott, Frank Mason, etc.

In that group, I count about seven National Player of Year award winners, the rest were All Americans and/or Final Four MVPs, and quite many NBA All Stars.

But, of course, it makes more sense to leave three extra scholarships unused and only have nine healthy players on your roster than to occasionally take a shot on a possible diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
Reactions: zannmann
LOL. No, please, do tell.

Yeah, I know it was easy, that's why it was dumb for you to issue a "name me" challenge on that. Most people with a modicum of intelligence would've known that post was likely to backfire before hitting the button. Yet I've seeing you walk into that trap time and time again over the years.

Oh, so they're just "decent" so it doesn't really count so much? Well, just for the heck of it, here's a few other guys who were only a three star or, in quite a few cases, even lower:

Steph Curry, Dwyane Wade, Victor Oladipo, Ja Morant, Gordon Hayward, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green,Frank Kaminsky, Jameer Nelson,Trey Burke, Jimmer Fredette, Grant Williams, Donte Divincenzo, Carsen Edwards, Adam Morrison, Jarrett Culver, Doug McDermott, Frank Mason, etc.

In that group, I count about seven National Player of Year award winners, the rest were All Americans and/or Final Four MVPs, and quite many NBA all stars.

But, of course, it makes more sense to leave three extra scholarships unused and only have nine healthy players on your roster than to occasionally take a chance on a possible diamond in the rough.

You're forgetting the hundreds apon hundreds of 3 star players that amount to nothing. Not to mention the ones that wouldn't do well in the Kentucky/national spotlight.

Picking the outliers is absurdly dumb.

.. maybe you should call up Cal, sounds like you have some expert tips for him lol.

Also, you dumb slut, guys like frank mason, jimmer
, jameer, etc.. werent anything as a SOPHOMORES. How many ****ing times do i need to say that? Im not talking about senior 3-star players.

What arent the two of you getting? You want to gamble on 3 star players hoping they pan out by junior year? What a dumb game plan that is.

You want to gamble on 3 star players hoping they pan out by junior year? What a dumb game plan that is.

It ain't much of a gamble when you've only got ten guys on scholarship (and only nine healthy) with three open spots not being used.

That guy wouldn't be taking the place of a higher rated recruit, instead he'd be taking the place of an empty chair.

Reactions: zannmann
It ain't much of a gamble when you've only got ten guys on scholarship (and only nine healthy) with three open spots not being used.

That guy wouldn't be taking the place of a higher rated recruit, instead he'd be taking the place of an empty chair.

Recruiting is never that easy. To plan out a team of 5-stars, wondering who is going to leave, who might transfer. This isnt the 90s. Cal, for better or worse, is dealing with roughly 75% roster change every year.

Is Cal kicking himself for not having MacClung? Im sure. But at the time, how can he tell a 3-star he will get playing time for his freshman, sophomore and Junior year? Do we even know that Mac would want to come here given the type of players hed have to relinquish time to? It just wasnt going to work. 3 stars do not work for Cals strategy.. unless they are instate and giant UK fans who dont mind playing bench for a few years.

Cal would never look at a 3 star player. When he gets a 4 star he never plays them or runs them off. They usually leave because they never play. Leash is too short. Cal’s system is flawed because doesn’t recruit the type of players to run it. Our point guard needs to be super quick and a decent shooter and be able to contain a dribbler. Fox and Ulis and Teague late in the season were the only ones who could do that. SGA late also but the roster is too imbalanced. No viable post players. Cal is too stubborn and inflexible for his own good.

Herro and SGA were both 4 stars so this comment is incorrect.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
Well lets see Xavier Tillman-Michigan State/ Corey Kispert- Gonzaga / Luka Garza -Iowa / Zhaire Smith-Texas Tech / Nicholas Claxton-Georgia / Naz Carter-Washington / Jamal Bey-Washington / Christian Bishop-Creighton / Tyrese Haliburton-Iowa State / Mac McClung-Georgetown / Rylan Jones-Utah / Caleb Mills-Houston / Joel Ayeye-Gonzaga / Zach Norville Jr.-Gonzaga / Yoeli Childs-BYU / Carson Edwards-Purdue / Jalen McDaniels-San Diego State / Killian Tillie-Gonzaga / Cameron McGriff-Oklahoma State. That's a lot more than 10 that could contribute at Kentucky. There are players all over the country that can play, even if you think there is not, unless they have 5 stare listed by their name.

Cmon...Lol and you had to google like a madman I’m assuming to find this info.

i mean i agree that we could definitely use some more multi year guys but hindsight is 2020 when it comes to Mac.

If you only recruit 5 stars it makes recruiting a lot easier; just offer them and visit or call them some.

No need to do any work yourself.

And who knows, the guys that commit might possibly be actually able to play or fit together as a team.

When? Like when your fandom got exposed a few weeks ago? I kept quiet on that, when I
I probably shouldnt.

Nothing backfired on me, just because someone named some decent 3stars on much worse programs than Kentucky. It was an easy challenge: theres thousands of 3-stars over the last decade.. and only a handful of them would warrant time playing on Kentucky, by their sophomore year, playing against the best of the best..

Do better.

We are the number one team in the country and are perenially a top 10 to top 15 team. Three of our top seven rotation players were three star players coming out of high school. Player development and diamonds in the rough are where it’s at.

We are the number one team in the country and are perenially a top 10 to top 15 team. Three of our top seven rotation players were three star players coming out of high school. Player development and diamonds in the rough are where it’s at.

What do you do, scour the Kentucky forums for people impling something about the Gonzaga program? Im impressed. Never even mentioned them by name.

But because you're ate up with what we think, I will say that I dont really include Gonzaga's 3-stars as guys that couldnt play for us. They are the 10-percenters. But it doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of 3-stars wouldn't do anything for us by the end of their 2nd season.

What do you do, scour the Kentucky forums for people impling something about the Gonzaga program? Im impressed. Never even mentioned them by name.

But because you're ate up with what we think, I will say that I dont really include Gonzaga's 3-stars as guys that couldnt play for us. They are the 10-percenters. But it doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of 3-stars wouldn't do anything for us by the end of their 2nd season.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. But with three open scholarships why not take a flyer on some? Let talent win out, not just recruiting rankings.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that. But with three open scholarships why not take a flyer on some? Let talent win out, not just recruiting rankings.

Ive said this already.. I dont think it's that easy. Not every 3-star wants to come to Kentucky for what would likely be time spent on the bench. I'm not even sure what type of rapport Calipari has with 3-star players. Imagine what his pitch would be in April of this year:

"Hey guy-I-would-never-normally-recruit and dont really know, how would you like to decommit from your current school and possibly, maybe, get 12 minutes a game if you're really really really good? And for added pressure, i have 7 five star players coming in next year, so better start practicing!"

We just arent a 3-star school. You cant be when you're a 5-star school. These two types of recruiting models cant coexist. The only exception are instate 3-stars who love Kentucky so much they are fine sacraficing playing time. How do so many of our fans not get this?

Ive said this already.. I dont think it's that easy. Not every 3-star wants to come to Kentucky for what would likely be time spent on the bench. I'm not even sure what type of rapport Calipari has with 3-star players. Imagine what his pitch would be in April of this year:

"Hey guy-I-would-never-normally-recruit and dont really know, how would you like to decommit from your current school and possibly, maybe, get 12 minutes a game if you're really really really good? And for added pressure, i have 7 five star players coming in next year, so better start practicing!"

We just arent a 3-star school. You cant be when you're a 5-star school. These two types of recruiting models cant coexist. The only exception are instate 3-stars who love Kentucky so much they are fine sacraficing playing time. How do so many of our fans not get this?
Because they only think about the best of all players from outside the top 100, and only after they've proven themselves to be the best of that (enormous) group.

Here are the non 5 star players Duke has signed this decade. I'd love to hear which ones UK should have been interested in:

Josh Hairston, Tyler Thornton, Michael Gbinije, Marhall Plumlee, Quinn Cook, Alex Murphy, Amile Jefferson, Matt Jones, Semi Ojeleye, Luke Kennard, Antonio Vrankovic, Javin DeLaurier, Jack White, Jordan Tucker, Alex O'Connell, Jordan Goldwire, Joey Baker, and Cassius Stanley.

The best guys in that group are guys that UK did recruit. Other than that, there are a lot of guys who ended up transferring, and not a lot of guys that you say "oh, yeah, he could have been a key part of a title team as an upperclassman".

UNC has gotten a lot of mileage out of 4 stars, but it's a legit question whether that was on purpose, or because the 5 stars they were pulling in by the bundle 10-20 years ago suddenly all ended up at UK and Duke. As for 3 stars, these are the guys they signed:

Desmond Hubert, Jackson Simmons, Stilman White, and Sterling Manley. That's it. Even Luke Maye was a 4 star, granted, a lower rated one, but hey, if some former UK football player has a 6'8" son who's a low 4 star, I'll be all for signing him up.

As for Kansas, Frank Mason, Hell yeah. And Jamari Traylor, Mervyn Lindsay, Anrio Adams, and Zach Peters.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

The 3 star wouldn't have to be very good to take the place of whitney

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT