ADVERTISEMENT

Mac McClung at Georgetown

I hate to tell you but college basketball is full of 3 star rated players that can play. Your way of thinking is why most other people think that Kentucky fans are stupid.
Yes I am getting really pissed at Stoops he is starting to recruit 4 and even 5 star recruits. we need these guys to go after the lower rated recruits, that way everyone won't be wanting them IU has been getting 3 star recruits for years and we haven't been playing like them well for years

Reactions: kl40504
Penn State and UNC Greensboro beat Georgetown, maybe they should have recruited some of our guys
That was before four of their players that were causing issues left the team. Since the rotation has been narrowed down to seven the team has been playing very good.

Yes I am getting really pissed at Stoops he is starting to recruit 4 and even 5 star recruits. we need these guys to go after the lower rated recruits, that way everyone won't be wanting them IU has been getting 3 star recruits for years and we haven't been playing like them well for years
Football and Basketball 2 totally different sports.

Reactions: TFCats11
That was before four of their players that were causing issues left the team. Since the rotation has been narrowed down to seven the team has been playing very good.
They are 5-0 since then but, well they have not beat stellar teams

Football and Basketball 2 totally different sports.
So we should stop recruiting 5 star guys? I gave you an example in basketball. IU recruits 3 star players. Tubby and Billy Clyde recruits 3 star players. For every example you can give me of a player or team that is successful with 3 star players I can give you 50 players and 25 teams that suck

Dude, you gotta stop being so condescending and negative in every thread on this board. Just stop.
My post is the exact reason why Cal doesn’t look at players like McClung. It’s not my fault you don’t like the answer, doesn’t make it any less true.

For the 3rd season in a row, Kentucky is a massive disappointment. When Kentucky is good I’m happy and complimentary, when they’re not I’m not. Pretty reasonable mindset as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
Cal or any coach is not going to know every 3 star player in the country, who is going to be really good! Some don't do camps or AAU, some blow up after they go to college, some are just missed, The most absurd complaint ever. You can look around the country at good players and ask, Why didn't Cal recruit that player or this player. The dude is at Georgetown U, why didn't Duke, North Carolina, KU, Virginia recruit him? Come on now let's not get crazy

Yes, NBA level players typically produce a good amount of wins. The OP wanted to know why Cal doesn’t go after players like Mac McClung

My post is the exact reason why Cal doesn’t look at players like McClung. It’s not my fault you don’t like the answer, doesn’t make it any less true.

For the 3rd season in a row, Kentucky is a massive disappointment. When Kentucky is good I’m happy and complimentary, when they’re not I’m not. Pretty reasonable mindset as far as I’m concerned.
Wow. Your expectations are more in line with Louisville. Enjoy your Cards.

I gave you an example in basketball. IU recruits 3 star players. Tubby and Billy Clyde recruits 3 star players.

So do Villanova and Virginia ..it's worked out pretty well for them.

FWIW, every team does more so than us, even other bluebloods like Kansas and UNC are more willing to occasionally take a chance on those guys than we are, and it's paid them some sweet dividends like Frank Mason and Luke Maye over the years.

Cal just can't seem to bring himself to offer someone without at least four stars by his name ..even if he's got a thin roster and it means leaving extra schollies unused.

Last edited:
Reactions: zannmann
Dude, we lost to Evansville and Utah, do you really wanna be playing that card right now?

And, fwiw, Penn State, Georgetown and even UNC Greensboro all currently have a considerably better NET ranking than Kentucky.
History is on my side. I have seen what we do with 3 star recruits. Do you want to go back to Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas, they did stay for 4 years. Where is your post bitching about not signing Mac McClung, instead of Tyrese Maxey. I love 20/20 hindsight. Why didn't we sign ;Larry Bird, Stephon Curry and on and on

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
So do Villanova and Virginia ..it's worked out pretty well for them.

FWIW, every team does more so than us, even other bluebloods like Kansas and UNC are more willing to occasionally take a chance on those guys than we are, and it's paid them some sweet dividends like Frank Mason and Luke Maye over the years.

Cal just can't seem to bring himself to offer someone without at least four stars by his name ..even if he's got a thin roster and it means leaving extra schollies unused.
Willis, Hawkins, Hood, Herro, Alexander, Booker, Ulis say hi. So does Alleyne, Perry, Thomas, Saul Smith, Kevin Galloway, Alex Legion etc

What isn't a whole new level of stupidity is Cal definitely has and is dropping in signing good teams based on his salary level. That has been going on for several years without a sign of change.

There's little doubt that the effort he has put into coaching has had a negative effect on his recent performance. The worrying part of that is how long is this going to last. He would not be the only coach who waited too long and then was unable to turn back the clock.
That has nothing to do with his thread. It just meets your sky is falling agenda

History is on my side. I have seen what we do with 3 star recruits. Do you want to go back to Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas, they did stay for 4 years. Where is your post bitching about not signing Mac McClung, instead of Tyrese Maxey. I love 20/20 hindsight. Why didn't we sign ;Larry Bird, Stephon Curry and on and on

Jeez, man, you are missing the point people are making in this thread. NOBODY is saying we should recruit three stars instead of five stars. Instead, it's whether we should occasionally do so instead of leaving extra available spots EMPTY.

This year we have only nine healthy scholarship players on our roster (at least until Allen returns). That poses a potentially serious depth problem. And the only reason we have that problem is because Cal chose to leave three extra scholarships unused.

Other power programs deal with that issue by occasionally offering lower ranked guys in addition to their higher ranked guys, NOT instead of. And that's often worked out well, not just by providing depth, but by some who develop into outstanding players.

But Cal is far less willing to do so. Seems he'd rather have a thin roster.

Last edited:
Willis, Hawkins, Hood, Herro, Alexander, Booker, Ulis say hi. So does Alleyne, Perry, Thomas, Saul Smith, Kevin Galloway, Alex Legion etc
JC. These guys are so unrealistic with their Er it hate that they are literally bitching about the 3 star that got away. One moron called last year a “ massive disappointment “ and has also include this year in that description even though there is so much season left.
If Cal farted they would complain to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Reactions: JC CATS
Jeez, man, you are missing the point people have been making in this thread. NOBODY is saying we should recruit three stars instead of five stars. Instead, it's whether we should occasionally do so instead of leaving extra roster spots EMPTY.

This year we have only nine healthy scholarship players on our roster (at least until Allen returns). That poses a potentially serious depth problem. And the only reason we have that problem is because Cal chose to leave three extra scholarships unused.

Other power programs deal with that issue by occasionally offering lower ranked guys in addition to their higher ranked guys, NOT instead of. And that's often worked out well for them, not just by providing depth, but by some who've developed into outstanding players.

But Cal is much less willing to do that. Seems he'd rather have a thin roster.
I don’t know how anyone could take this as a knock on recruiting 5 Star guys. If anything it’s about taking the next best available skilled guys and leaving maybe 1 scholarship open instead of many. We could use a skilled upperclassman who’s a role player right now.

If I remember right Cal didn’t even have a clue about Herro and Justice had to sell him. I may be wrong but I remember reading that somewhere.

Slightly OT, but in line with the theme...
I wonder if anyone on staff is charged with compiling a list of the top 4-5 scorers per state, regardless of “stars”, and give them some evaluations. Especially when they’re the state’s all-time leading scorer!
I will try to look that up, and see how many show up on Rivals top 50 or so.

What? No one is saying Cal should not sign the best players available. However it doesn't hurt to sign a local guy 200 miles away when you have several open scholarships. It would be different if Cal had to decide between McClung and Maxey. However that is not the case here. My original comment is the same. Maybe Cal should have considered McClung.
McClung broke Allen Iverson's one year Virginia scoring record, broke the Virginia career scoring record, broke JJ Redicks record for points scored in a state championship game by scoring 47 points to help Gate City win the Virginia state championship. Not bad for a kid from Southwest Virginia near Kingsport, TN.

Last edited:
Max Preps made the search very simple actually. You can even look at past years as well. Pretty cool!
So after a quick look, the first 5* to show up on the nations top scorers for 2019 (so far) is....

#45. Greg Brown III! Then after that,
#123 Jamari Baker.
Only two 5* in the nations top 125 scorers! Hmm, very strange.

Max Preps made the search very simple actually. You can even look at past years as well. Pretty cool!
So after a quick look, the first 5* to show up on the nations top scorers for 2019 (so far) is....

#45. Greg Brown III! Then after that,
#123 Jamari Baker.
Only two 5* in the nations top 125 scorers! Hmm, very strange.
Weak class? They’re only 5 stars in relation to everyone else around them. There are only a couple stud freshmen this season and one (Wiseman) is already finished.

How does that compare to the last 2-3 seasons and scoring among 5 star guys?

Cal has admitted he should probably sign more guys, but he has a hard time justifying having guys sitting the bench and not getting to play when they could be playing somewhere else. He also feels like it’s easier to coach with fewer players to manage. Also in this day and age, it’s hard to keep kids on the bench for 2-3 years. They transfer when they don’t get PT. Willis and Hawkins are the rare players that stick it out and become important role players as Juniors and Seniors.

But I believe it is important for Cal to seek out those types and sign them. I think he should keep 11-12 guys on scholarship every year. Every year we are short handed at some point in the season and don’t have enough practice guys. One or two more scholarship guys would help keep us with enough guys to scrimmage at least.

I know it’s easier said than done, but Cal has a huge recruiting budget and gets paid millions, he needs to figure out a way to keep a full bench.

Weak class? They’re only 5 stars in relation to everyone else around them. There are only a couple stud freshmen this season and one (Wiseman) is already finished.

How does that compare to the last 2-3 seasons and scoring among 5 star guys?
I’ll look it over. MaxPreps makes searching pretty much any stat idiot proof. For comparison,

Maxey was #38... in the state of Texas! Greg Brown was top 10 even as a junior! We want Greg Brown! Dude can obviously score.

I’ll look it over. MaxPreps makes searching pretty much any stat idiot proof. For comparison,

Maxey was #38... in the state of Texas! Greg Brown was top 10 even as a junior! We want Greg Brown! Dude can obviously score.
Ah, I gotcha. I thought it was showing how last years 5 stars rank as college freshmen this season. I can understand why their numbers are are why they are in HS. Most of the big time guys play on teams with other big time guys. Just like Oak Hill had produced some excellent guys but they’re probably not averaging 35 points a game.

Sounds like we definitely want Greg Brown.

Cal has admitted he should probably sign more guys, but he has a hard time justifying having guys sitting the bench and not getting to play when they could be playing somewhere else. He also feels like it’s easier to coach with fewer players to manage. Also in this day and age, it’s hard to keep kids on the bench for 2-3 years. They transfer when they don’t get PT. Willis and Hawkins are the rare players that stick it out and become important role players as Juniors and Seniors.

But I believe it is important for Cal to seek out those types and sign them. I think he should keep 11-12 guys on scholarship every year. Every year we are short handed at some point in the season and don’t have enough practice guys. One or two more scholarship guys would help keep us with enough guys to scrimmage at least.

I know it’s easier said than done, but Cal has a huge recruiting budget and gets paid millions, he needs to figure out a way to keep a full bench.
My guess is Cal probably feels he has to keep some scholarships open. Because if you sign five or six guys and then some guys you figured would leave don’t then you need those open spots or you’re in a pickle. Some guys I think Cal knows will leave. But it’s probably an open question with some others.

It’s pretty simple we had quade coming back at the time and signed hagans, quickley, herro as guards in that class. Sure he has played well this year but i would still take the 3 we ended up with in that class over him

What? No one is saying Cal should not sign the best players available. However it doesn't hurt to sign a local guy 200 miles away when you have several open scholarships. It would be different if Cal had to decide between McClung and Maxey. However that is not the case here. My original comment is the same. Maybe Cal should have considered McClung.
McClung broke Allen Iverson's one year Virginia scoring record, broke the Virginia career scoring record, broke JJ Redicks record for points scored in a state championship game by scoring 47 points to help Gate City win the Virginia state championship. Not bad for a kid from Southwest Virginia near Kingsport, TN.

My guess is Cal probably feels he has to keep some scholarships open. Because if you sign five or six guys and then some guys you figured would leave don’t then you need those open spots or you’re in a pickle. Some guys I think Cal knows will leave. But it’s probably an open question with some others.

True.

One solution could be Grad transfers. They are guaranteed to leave after a year.

Cal, however, will not “steal” players from mid-majors, so that limits who we can get.

But the best thing would be to get 2-3 Grad transfers from mid-majors every year who just want a shot to play some minutes for a big school before leaving college. Maybe some guys trying to improve enough to get an overseas contract. That would give us some quality experience on the bench.

Yes and it worked out well for him. Sometimes it does and sometimes, well this

Ervin Stepp from Phelps High School in Pike County holds the national high school two-year scoring record with a 50.3 average.

he started out at EKU, transferred to a lower level as competition was too stiff there

How's anyone questioning that he has a crazy vertical? I mean you can see the videos of him dunking. They didn't lower the rim for him

How's anyone questioning that he has a crazy vertical? I mean you can see the videos of him dunking. They didn't lower the rim for him
I have no doubt he can get up. I kinda doubt the 50” number I read on here. I don’t think David Thompson or Darrell Griffith had 50” verticals.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Great. Let's say 50" is legit. The question then is how that translates into an actual game. Remember Deuce Bello? How about Shaquille Johnson? No? Look up their mix tapes.

How did the the NBA career of James "Flight" White (my vote for most impressive leaper I've ever seen) go?

How many blocks does McClung have? How about steals? What's his shooting % on non-3's? Does he rebound well for a guard? Those are all things that scouts look at as examples of explosive athletic ability translating on the court.

Eric Bledsoe is a shorter guy who was (and still is) clearly very explosive. He had 52 steals and 12 blocks at UK, and shot just under 52% on non- 3's. In the pros, he's averaged 1.5 steals, a half a block, 4 rebounds, and shot over 50% on non-3's for his career. Can McClung do those types of things? If not, why not, if he's such a superior athlete?

McClung is not Deuce Bello or Shaquille Johnson. He's a better player. But he's probably not Eric Bledsoe, either.

Not sure why McClung was only rated a three star.

Dude has unbelievable athleticism, put up crazy impressive stats (broke Allen Iverson's state scoring records) and carried his team to the state championship. What did the scouts not like?
Truth? His skin color. That being said he is a 5’11 shooting guard. There’s no way he’s remotely close to 6’2 and he has no discernible point guard skills. But he is flat out awesome. But I definitely think there was an element of racism regarding his low ranking.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Both Virginia and Virginia Tech let him get away. His dad was a football player at Virginia Tech. Neither recruited him until after he committed to Georgetown and then Virginia Tech called him to try and get a visit.
He was actually a Rutgers commit originally. And then reneged and went to Georgetown. I’ve been following this kid for years. He’s legit.

You have to take a flyer on players like McClung if you want them. He originally signed with Rutgers, but Ewing wanted him, he switched to G-town. It's extremely rare for a player like him from a small school to sign on with a blue blood program. Hall tried it with a few players from the mountains, but they didn't pan out.

I hope it works out well with McClung. I have followed his story since hearing about he could break Allen Iverson's state scoring record.

Truth? His skin color. That being said he is a 5’11 shooting guard. There’s no way he’s remotely close to 6’2 and he has no discernible point guard skills. But he is flat out awesome. But I definitely think there was an element of racism regarding his low ranking.
He is much closer to 6'2" than 5'11. I am 6' and I have stood beside him and he is definitely close to 6'2.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT