ADVERTISEMENT

“Midtucky” per Ant Wright

There's a reason all of these kids have been in school for so long and not off playing professionally somewhere.

Not saying Pope hasn't done well in the transfer portal (he clearly has) but I do think people expecting this roster to compete in the upper half of the SEC are in for a rude awakening.
Careful... you're about to get labeled a troll.

Reactions: UKortho
Fair enough. I’m not trying to argue.

I thought I INVALIDATED it by saying it’s impressive what Pope has assembled in just 2 weeks time in my OP & that it was time for change. Sorry that wasn’t enough. Agree to disagree, respectfully.
Only blind, unquestioned faith is accepted here right now. Not a place to discuss any concerns.

Sorry to interrupt but,! lol. Anyway, for anyone to actually look at all these guys as individuals and imagine them practicing together until game day, all the while bonding and learning how to play in Mark Popes style of game, to not think this team will be a top ten contender for a championship type team just blows my mind. We have already got a fantastic core of players who are flat out big dogs and are tough as nails. They can shoot the absolute lights out and are going to be a top defensive team as well. I respect the heck out of 80% of the people posting here, agree with you or not, I still respect your opinion and will listen to whatever you’re saying. With that, this team is going to be great in my opinion and if, IF, we do happen to get a couple more big time players, it’s going to be hard for anyone to beat this team. We got leaders everywhere and a bunch of dogs. I’m loving the makeup of the group and while of course I’d love to put Michael Jordan in his prime with them, we just don’t have to have that to be a well oiled machine kind of team. Still, give me MJs clone and let’s go. Haha. I’m seeing a top ten all season long team here already and with another couple guys we could be scary. Thanks
This.

Reactions: Girthang
We got a team of role players so e better than others. Season depends on one of them stepping up and bei g that breakout star. You don't need a team of stars to win but you need 1 imo.

Got a ton of experience 5 transfer seniors/grad. That counts for alot which might make up for the lack of nba talent.

I appreciate how hard Pope n Co have worked and love the energy . Really looking forward to the season and see the new style. Just the roster is Tubbyesque it just is.
As of today we have 558 games played and 380 starts. If we do get Jaxson Robinson that makes it 654 games played and 424 starts. That is quite the difference from what we have been accustomed to. The last few seasons our team of NBA draft picks have been put out by inferior talent with experience. Can Pope take a team of experienced players and win on a high level until he can get some a few draft picks to play with them? Well that remains to be seen but to think he can't is just being a sky is falling fan to me.

Reactions: L.O.D.
Only blind, unquestioned faith is accepted here right now. Not a place to discuss any concerns.
If the concerns are coming from people/posters who were "concerned" w/ the direction of the program under Cal, then I'm open to listen. If they're coming from Cal-bois who sat watching the village burn while they sang hosannas to their bwana, they can kiss my azz.

Last edited:
I'm just glad he's filled the roster so quick. He went right to work and knows the assignment. I have no idea how good the players are but Mark will form a solid team and chemistry hopefully develops fast.
No doubt Pope will work to get the most out of the new kids, but fans are going to need to seriously adjust expectations and understand it's a different type of player coming in to Kentucky now. TBD on how steep the learning curve will be. I get that HS rankings absolutely aren't the end all be all by any stretch, but at a high level, and over a wide enough data set they can at least directionally indicate general level players are accustomated to being at. Yes, there are certainly outliers on either side, but again...more to the point of fans will need to get used to a different level of player coming in.

Here are the HS rankings of the players on the roster so far:
Brandon Garrison – 45
Kerr Kriisa – 69
Travis Perry – 73
Otega Oweh – 91
Lamont Butler Jr. – 243
Koby Brea – Unranked
Andrew Carr – Unranked
Amari Williams - Unranked

Reactions: RunninRichie
Someone should remind Piss-ant the below roster won last years NC.

Tristen Newton -- 0 star unranked
Joey Calcaterra -- 0 star unranked
Nahiem Alleyne -- 4 star but unranked
Hassan Diarra -- 4 star (74)
Alex Karaban -- 4 star (75)
Richie Springs -- 3 star unranked
Andrew Hurley -- 0 star unranked
Jordan Hawkins 4 star (49)
Yarin Hasson -- 0 star unranked
Donovan Clingan -- 4 star (39)
Apostolos Roumoglou -- 0 star unranked
Samson Johnson -- 4 star (70)
Andre Johnson Jr. -- Football (no basketball profile listed in rivals for him)
Emmett Hendry -- unranked
Andre Jackson Jr. -- 4 star (71)

Last edited:
If the concerns are coming from people/posters who were "concerned" w/ the direction of the program under Cal, then I'm open to listen. If they're coming from Cal-bois who sat watching the village burn while they sang hosannas to their bwana, they can kiss my azz.
I am with you and said I would rather have Pope than Kal. I am just slightly concerned that our roster needs a couple more high impact pieces. That’s all. I was a CCC charter member.

I'm late to the thread but I'd like to point out that of the 7 transfers UK has signed one came from the ACC and 3 of the others came the Big 12. Of the 3 mid majors players we signed one played for one of the better teams in his conference and was a 3 time defensive player of the year. Another played for one of the better mid major teams in the country and was a two time conference defensive player of the year. The other is Brea who was recruited by all the bluebloods. So to even imply that Kentucky has been signing run of the mill mid major players not good enough for a power conference only makes the ones making the implication sound like idiots.

There's a reason all of these kids have been in school for so long and not off playing professionally somewhere.

Not saying Pope hasn't done well in the transfer portal (he clearly has) but I do think people expecting this roster to compete in the upper half of the SEC are in for a rude awakening.
I know right.. Oscar Tshiebwe sucked ass. Poythress was sh*t. Derek Willis, I wanted to die he was on the team.

No doubt Pope will work to get the most out of the new kids, but fans are going to need to seriously adjust expectations and understand it's a different type of player coming in to Kentucky now. TBD on how steep the learning curve will be. I get that HS rankings absolutely aren't the end all be all by any stretch, but at a high level, and over a wide enough data set they can at least directionally indicate general level players are accustomated to being at. Yes, there are certainly outliers on either side, but again...more to the point of fans will need to get used to a different level of player coming in.

Here are the HS rankings of the players on the roster so far:
Brandon Garrison – 45
Kerr Kriisa – 69
Travis Perry – 73
Otega Oweh – 91
Lamont Butler Jr. – 243
Koby Brea – Unranked
Andrew Carr – Unranked
Amari Williams - Unranked
Fair point. Would you feel more comfortable with the direction of the program if they were all 5 stars coming out of high school like 90% of our roster the last 10 years??? NIL AND the portal has changed this sport forever - just bringing in 6-8 5 star freshman each year is not going to work - nor has it for almost a decade at UK

Reactions: ukfan1622
Looks like a hell of a line-up to me. Except Williams will be the starter but we might see some twin towers at times or even 3 big men because one is an outside shooter. Hmm, two defensive players of the year, yeah that sucks too. Best 3 point shooter out there....oh no good. This is a team that can challenge with flexibility which is why we have a coach now who likes to press, shoot, rebounds, and create tempo to what fits that player. It is not Cal trying to fit the player to his drivel drive (yes spelling on purpose).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT