ADVERTISEMENT

M. Jones re J. Dykes re Cal

But no other coach but Cal is what he and KSR dream team state

There is no point in talking about firing Cal..it ain’t happening …Is the other mantra by KSR dream team

So Jones need to shut his pie hole as he’s been Cal slurped and only recently is changing his tune

I really like Jimmy Dykes but, he can't continue to cover for Calipari. I know they are friends and commentators are always reluctant to criticize coaches. But, the 800lb gorilla in the room is impossible to ignore.
I don't think he's covered for Calipari at all. I have taken today's broadcast as a professional scathing commentary on the state of Kentucky's program. When an Analyst is saying things like the quote above, it's as harsh as it gets for someone who hasn't done something along the lines of what Chris Beard did. Professionally he's saying "Kentucky looks like shit and they can't do anything....." but it's being taken as a defense for Cal because he can't say the words everyone wants to hear.

Oscar is a fascinating case study for the board. You've had 2 analysts call him out this week--one had an entire thread made up of how the announcer was an idiot-but ever stop to think that people are saying it for a reason? They usually know a bit more on what's going on then everyone else. Kentucky media have been locked out on access to the program too.

Calipari and his program look washed up. It's on him. Doesn't mean that individual players aren't also issues, but I still put that on the Head Coach as well. He sets the tone, allows things and decides who plays and how they play. Having a 5'8 non athletic, non shooting guard play bump and grind basketball is awful. Having a team full of guys having 0 clue on who is playing game to game is creating chaos. It's NOT NIL. It's NOT anything but a HC who is operating in a manner that is setting his program up to fail and falling further behind the top programs. Great thing about sports is it doesn't take long to turn around, but seeing it be the case with Cal running things...not likely.

I don't think he's covered for Calipari at all. I have taken today's broadcast as a professional scathing commentary on the state of Kentucky's program. When an Analyst is saying things like the quote above, it's as harsh as it gets for someone who hasn't done something along the lines of what Chris Beard did. Professionally he's saying "Kentucky looks like shit and they can't do anything....." but it's being taken as a defense for Cal because he can't say the words everyone wants to hear.

Oscar is a fascinating case study for the board. You've had 2 analysts call him out this week--one had an entire thread made up of how the announcer was an idiot-but ever stop to think that people are saying it for a reason? They usually know a bit more on what's going on then everyone else. Kentucky media have been locked out on access to the program too.

Calipari and his program look washed up. It's on him. Doesn't mean that individual players aren't also issues, but I still put that on the Head Coach as well. He sets the tone, allows things and decides who plays and how they play. Having a 5'8 non athletic, non shooting guard play bump and grind basketball is awful. Having a team full of guys having 0 clue on who is playing game to game is creating chaos. It's NOT NIL. It's NOT anything but a HC who is operating in a manner that is setting his program up to fail and falling further behind the top programs. Great thing about sports is it doesn't take long to turn around, but seeing it be the case with Cal running things...not likely.
I get what you are saying but, I am asking....why can't coaches be publicly criticized by commentators or pundits? You say that Jimmy subtly said those things but, why can't he come right out and question Calipari? This is the big time and Calipari is the 2nd highest paid coach in college basketball. Shouldn't he have to face the blunt, harsh truth?
All those criticisms of Calipari you spell out need to be publicly voiced. I would say the same it it were Coach K or Bill Self or anyone else putting garbage like this on the floor. Why do we protect the ego's of these coaching divas like this?

We typically have one player moving at a time. One player driving madly until stopped who then looks to pass to a teammate who often looks surprised to get the ball and who is never ready to make a basketball move until after he catches the ball and settles. It is very easy to defend because nothing is happening away from the ball 95% of the time.

He was covering for Calipari one hour ago. That full quote was, “Even when they score it looks like an accident……………………(today).”

More like covering for himself since he said in the first half that “offense wasn’t the problem”

It reminds me of Joe B's Georgetown loss.
I was at that game and it does not remind me in anyway of that game. Hell we were playing in the damn semi-final game of the Final Four. This in no way is like that in anyway. By the way if anyone can show me how to change my screen name from anything related to Cal to something else I would be grateful.

Yes, the reason it "sounded" to some like Dykes was piling on was his tone and his tone due to his frustration with watching what he is watching. Kind like us he is aggravated and mad that this KY team looks so bad and that kind of came out in his commentary. It wasnt out of meanness, it was out of shock and dismay of what he was seeing like you got to be kidding me, your Kentucky for gosh sakes!

Ralph, if I remember correctly you said a few years ago that Cal would ruin this program. Boy! We’re you ever correct in you statement.

Ralph, if I remember correctly you said a few years ago that Cal would ruin this program. Boy! We’re you ever correct in you statement.
Not me. I didn't predict that. That's Grom and several others. Give them all the credit. Never saw things sinking to this level. Hell I thought this was going to be a contending team. Had to alter that a month ago. Just sad to watch.

We typically have one player moving at a time. One player driving madly until stopped who then looks to pass to a teammate who often looks surprised to get the ball and who is never ready to make a basketball move until after he catches the ball and settles. It is very easy to defend because nothing is happening away from the ball 95% of the time.
Been saying this forever. It really is not about WHO we have out there at any give time its about WHAT we doing.
I plead for everyone to back and watch the tape any given game and if you do you'll see that in our offense 90% of every pass is to someone moving away from the basket on the perimeter with NO CHANCE to score. They are never faced up in shooting or driving position.

Then when we do enter it to the post NOBODY every cuts off the ball. Some of this is due the clogged up spacing but I truly believe they arent coached to do it either!

Dykes also said earlier in the broadcast “the problem isn’t their offense”.

I can’t stand listening to him call games. Give me vitale for eternity over one more game that he calls.
I like Dykes ,but he never met a long sentence he didn't like.

At one point Dykes even said 'Alabama has snuffed out all of the actions' which is a way of saying they had whatever we were attempting to do covered. He's not going to get more explicit than that probably.

At one point Dykes even said 'Alabama has snuffed out all of the actions' which is a way of saying they had whatever we were attempting to do covered. He's not going to get more explicit than that probably.
Exactly. I actually think it's a case where fans are irate to the point they are mad when others aren't mad. I fully understand that perspective but if you are a neutral listener I'm sure it came off far more critical of Kentucky/Cal then it did for BBN.

I was at that game and it does not remind me in anyway of that game. Hell we were playing in the damn semi-final game of the Final Four. This in no way is like that in anyway.

The status of the game wasn't what I was thinking of. The team's inability to put the ball in the basket (3-33) was what I was thinking of.

I get what you are saying but, I am asking....why can't coaches be publicly criticized by commentators or pundits? You say that Jimmy subtly said those things but, why can't he come right out and question Calipari? This is the big time and Calipari is the 2nd highest paid coach in college basketball. Shouldn't he have to face the blunt, harsh truth?
All those criticisms of Calipari you spell out need to be publicly voiced. I would say the same it it were Coach K or Bill Self or anyone else putting garbage like this on the floor. Why do we protect the ego's of these coaching divas like this?

It was a LONG LONG time ago but when Sutton was here, I recall reading an article that he and other coaches had gotten the NCAA to put language in the TV contracts that announcers were to refrain from criticizing the coaches.

All I remember was the gist of the article and none of the details so I may very well be wrong about it being in the TV contracts per se. But, I am very certain that there was some kind of pressure that made sure coaches wouldn't feel the heat.

Lately, I've noticed a major reluctance by the announcers to criticize the refs. I haven't heard Jay Bilas in a while and he was one who always criticized the refs. Is he still doing that?

Exactly. I actually think it's a case where fans are irate to the point they are mad when others aren't mad. I fully understand that perspective but if you are a neutral listener I'm sure it came off far more critical of Kentucky/Cal then it did for BBN.

Very wise post!

I think it’s time for Dykes to move us to the back of his airplane. lol
Expected us to lose but not to be curb stomped.
We are lucky to be riding in Jimmy's Junebug to the tourney. Bitch Barnhart prob got some good seats though for these boys to watch the tourney in after playing there hearts out all yr long. Don't fret yet let us see who's Jimmy's got bet to set on his jet and cutdown the nets while we lay in the lodge in our bed dead while we play with our dick head.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT