ADVERTISEMENT

M. Jones Re fanbase attitude towards Cal

What I find most curious about fan engagement at this point is that many of us were much more connected, involved, caught up in the program in the mid/late-2000s under Tubby and Billy Clyde when we were hot garbage. I ate, slept and breathed UK basketball back then. Never turned down a ticket, paid foolish prices, etc. I’d go watch Mark Coury and Michael Porter with excitement like it was actually something.

Past few years, I’ve passed on numerous free ticket offers and probably wouldn’t attend unless someone actually paid me to go. I think that type of general apathy is at a level never before seen here universally and it’s going to take a new face to turn that around.

What I find most curious about fan engagement at this point is that many of us were much more connected, involved, caught up in the program in the mid/late-2000s under Tubby and Billy Clyde when we were hot garbage. I ate, slept and breathed UK basketball back then. Never turned down a ticket, paid foolish prices, etc. I’d go watch Mark Coury and Michael Porter with excitement like it was actually something.

Past few years, I’ve passed on numerous free ticket offers and probably wouldn’t attend unless someone actually paid me to go. I think that type of general apathy is at a level never before seen here universally and it’s going to take a new face to turn that around.
Churning and burning recruiting classes with no development and connection to players will do that. There’s a reason people here love players like Chuck Hayes, Patrick sparks, Patrick Patterson, ramel Bradley, joe Crawford, Jodie Meeks, hell even players like shagari alleyne. You got to watch them grow and develop and root for them. They weren’t all here for nba clout. They didn’t run from fan critique. And they sure as hell wouldn’t have sat on the bench if coach called their name ala sharpe. Cal has became everything he said he wouldn’t and at some point that’s on us fans for believing his sales pitch when he was a known commodity. All that said 2010-2017 was a fun run of UK basketball, but 2018-2022 has been a nightmare and while you’re in a house fire.

I wasn't. Those teams sucked and watching losers lose for 4 years wasn't any better than watching them for one year.

I knew tubby wasn't ever gonna get to another final four and know the same about calipari.

pitchforks.gif

Despite our recent regression and Cal’s lack of coaching - he’ll keep half the fan base energized, he’ll have his players wash feet on camera or find a telethon for some cause - granted, those are noble things, many of us are more concerned about the lack of success at 10M per year.

A very smart man once said" The shelf life of a UK basketball coach is 10 years. Any longer than that and it will grind you down."...

Not to some people on this board...
We fans that are frustrated with this carnival barker are the vocal minority in their minds.
I don't understand the fixation with trying to call out "Cal supporters". Just be pleased that you and a good part of the fanbase are fed up (me included). I don't see the point in trying to "convince" others, or even mock them. It's not like adding them to a growing list of fed up fans is going to speed up Cal's departure.

I don't understand the fixation with trying to call out "Cal supporters". Just be pleased that you and a good part of the fanbase are fed up (me included). I don't see the point in trying to "convince" others, or even mock them. It's not like adding them to a growing list of fed up fans is going to speed up Cal's departure.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. People can make up their own minds.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. People can make up their own minds.
Sorry, I was saying this more to the general public than directly to you.

I've seen a plethora of new threads or posts explicitly calling out "Cal supporters", and regular statements from people such as "well where have you been living, under a rock?" and "I saw this years ago but was ridiculed". You can roll through this thread alone and see plenty of examples, and then a few others where there seems to be some kind of pride in having started to despise Cal and his system long before others. This is usually followed by mocking those of us that have a little more patience with the "process" as if those people are somehow inferior because we didn't jump the shark on Cal way back when.

I just don't see the purpose of it, is all I was getting at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT