ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville To Face NCAA Appeals Committee Today

Actually, your #1 is not quite accurate. The issue is not whether the punishment was excessive compared to similar cases. The COI is not bound by precedent when it comes to issuing punishments.

The question in an appeal situation is did the COI abuse its discretion when determining the penalty. That is slightly different.

The COI could issue a much harsher penalty as long as it stays clearly within the guidance provided by the by laws.
Technically they may not have to follow precedent but the COI certainly responded to that appeal avenue by U6. How would one justify very similar cases getting radically different sanctions even if both sets of sanctions are within the bylaws? I'm pretty sure the NCAA tries to avoid court challenges.

Tard appeal logic....

shit-hit-the-fan.jpg

Technically they may not have to follow precedent but the COI certainly responded to that appeal avenue by U6. How would one justify very similar cases getting radically different sanctions even if both sets of sanctions are within the bylaws? I'm pretty sure the NCAA tries to avoid court challenges.

Consistency is driven by a couple of factors, but fear of lawsuit is not one of them.

As long as the COI clearly operated within the by laws when issuing a more severe punishment, then courts will refuse to hear any lawsuit about the harshness of the penalty.

Reactions: Bluest Member
Consistency is driven by a couple of factors, but fear of lawsuit is not one of them.

As long as the COI clearly operated within the by laws when issuing a more severe punishment, then courts will refuse to hear any lawsuit about the harshness of the penalty.
Ok, then what factors.

Pitino didn't know anything it was just 1 rogue assistant according to UL, but he's being sued by UL for playing an active role in violations they cost them tournament money. Weird.
So they are suing for lost money they haven't lost yet, just in case? Do they hAve real lawyers helping them?

Reactions: 78Gooses
not to nit pick, because I am on your side...but
were in AZ, my board is in the middle of an appeal and the defendant has eight listed
1. Irregulatory in the proceedings of the board or any order or abuse of discretion, which deprived a fair hearing
2. misconduct of the board
3. accident of surprise which could not have been prevented by ordinary prudence
4. excessive penalties
5 error in admission or rejection of evidence or other errors of law occurring at the hearing or during the progress of the proceedings
6. findings of fact or decision is arbitrary, capricious or an abuse of discretion
7. the findings of fact or decision is not justified by the evidence
8. newly discovered, material evidence which could not, with reasonable diligence, have been discovered and produced at the original hearing

BTW an Administrative law judge has thrown out all eight..

I keep reading that since uncaa is a private organization they are not beholden to these rules. Aren't these for public companies?

Tyra said they had a great presentation for the NCAA to not go so hard on them. I'm sure them firing Pitino and Jurich was a big part of it. They sacrifice Pitino and Jurich to save a final four, games and a title. UL is the luckiest program in this country. It would not surprise me if they just got a hand slap.

Had they of kept RP and TJ they are the type to find some way to lessen penalties but now getting rid of those two I could see the NCAA possibly accepting the two they ditched as compensating for some of the penalties even though it would not be the right thing to do, whatsoever.

Tyra said they had a great presentation for the NCAA to not go so hard on them. I'm sure them firing Pitino and Jurich was a big part of it. They sacrifice Pitino and Jurich to save a final four, games and a title. UL is the luckiest program in this country. It would not surprise me if they just got a hand slap.

Had they of kept RP and TJ they are the type to find some way to lessen penalties but now getting rid of those two I could see the NCAA possibly accepting the two they ditched as compensating for some of the penalties even though it would not be the right thing to do, whatsoever.

the only flaw to that logic is the fact that they kept both Pitino and Jurich after hookergate and never fired them until the FBI investigation
so they get no points for the firings in the hookergate case

the only flaw to that logic is the fact that they kept both Pitino and Jurich after hookergate and never fired them until the FBI investigation
This. The firing of Jurich and Pimptino will have zero effect on this appeal because they were fired because of the new penalties. They both would have still been employed at UL if not for the new cheating. The NCAA will give them zero credit for the firings.

This. The firing of Jurich and Pimptino will have zero effect on this appeal because they were fired because of the new penalties. They both would have still been employed at UL if not for the new cheating. The NCAA will give them zero credit for the firings.

And none of those factors make any of those players eligible.

There's really no point of the uncaa and their rules if they back down from the stated penalties.

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the former highly successful UK head coach so utterly hated by tard fans became their coach and destroyed their basketball program. He owned the tards when he coached at UK. Then he was owned by UK when he coached at UL. He won a title and had three final fours at UK and there wasn’t even a glancing thought he was cheating to get players. He has two final fours and a NCAA title vacated at UL and has UL on the verge of getting the death penalty for cheating. If you knew it wasn’t so preposterous and far fetched, you would think he brought down UK’s hated rival on purpose.

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the former highly successful UK head coach so utterly hated by tard fans became their coach and destroyed their basketball program. He owned the tards when he coached at UK. Then he was owned by UK when he coached at UL. He won a title and had three final fours at UK and there wasn’t even a glancing thought he was cheating to get players. He has two final fours and a NCAA title vacated at UL and has UL on the verge of getting the death penalty for cheating. If you knew it wasn’t so preposterous and far fetched, you would think he brought down UK’s hated rival on purpose.
What we are seeing at UL is the beginning of the dismantling of college basketball as we know it.It is almost unbelievable when you really consider all the things that were going on there pretty much at the same time.It is equally unbelievable that UL is the only place things like this were happening.Te NCAA looks like a joke,no wonder attendance is down all across college basketball.

People are going to turn away from college basketball in droves before this is over.Pitino's legacy may well be that he brought down not only UL but college basketball as we have known it for the past 75 years.

Yeah, I know but if the NCAA has a couple of people on the appeals that just wants to help them they will use any and every excuse they can think of even if its not right.

I think you are missing something here.....U6 fired Pitino and Jurich for the Adidas incident....the appeal is about Hookergate.....2 completely separate cases....the firing of Pitino and Jurich MAY mitigate punishment for the Adidas case but the NCAA has yet to even start investigating that until the FBI is finished.....the case before the NCAA now can't simply be added to with the Adidas punishments. U6 admitted to guilt in Hookergate, they can only argue the severity of the penalties now and if U6 is now suing Pitino because of loss of revenue from the regular season and tourney games then it seems they don't have too much confidence in their appeal.

If I had a nickel for every time a poster has made this comment about the NCAA...

And then the NCAA goes and makes another ridiculous decision and no other programs do anything to fight for where they were obviously not given preferential treatment. The NCAA does what they want. UL's banners will stay.

[laughing]

I think you are missing something here.....U6 fired Pitino and Jurich for the Adidas incident....the appeal is about Hookergate.....2 completely separate cases....the firing of Pitino and Jurich MAY mitigate punishment for the Adidas case but the NCAA has yet to even start investigating that until the FBI is finished.....the case before the NCAA now can't simply be added to with the Adidas punishments. U6 admitted to guilt in Hookergate, they can only argue the severity of the penalties now and if U6 is now suing Pitino because of loss of revenue from the regular season and tourney games then it seems they don't have too much confidence in their appeal.
^^^ THIS, THIS, THIS....all freakin' day!
The Adidas scandal will require a completely separate notice and investigation by the NCAA. That mess will take even more years of legal wrangling by both sides.
What coach or decent player would even want to be at U6 over the next 3-4 years?

The confidence Tyra seemed to portray in their presentation would have to be pretty strong stuff to alleviate what they did and get the penalties reduced. What new stuff could they possibly have that would lessen penalties? I am just saying that while the adidas stuff should not be considered, these appeals people obviously know all about it and if the majority wants to let them keep the title I could see them using UL's terminations as an excuse because UL said in their firings there was on going situations with both of them for some time.

The confidence Tyra seemed to portray in their presentation would have to be pretty strong stuff to alleviate what they did and get the penalties reduced. What new stuff could they possibly have that would lessen penalties? I am just saying that while the adidas stuff should not be considered, these appeals people obviously know all about it and if the majority wants to let them keep the title I could see them using UL's terminations as an excuse because UL said in their firings there was on going situations with both of them for some time.

The entire U6 defense is based on it's "too severe"....they are saying that the impermissible benefits when you assign a dollar value to it is not a serious infraction.....U6 fans use this as their defense...glossing over they had MF'ing prostitutes sleeping with kids as young as 16 years old....and providing the same benefits to the fathers of recruits....the NCAA was pissed about this...the one woman on the committee....hell..can't remember her exact quote?? disgusted? abhorrent behavior?? something like that...i really do not see the NCAA lessening the penalties especially when they have to hit U6 hard again over the Adidas deal. And who knows where this is going?? U6 and pitino have sued each other.....that is NEVER going to court...no way does either party want McGee to be under oath....

The entire U6 defense is based on it's "too severe"....they are saying that the impermissible benefits when you assign a dollar value to it is not a serious infraction.....U6 fans use this as their defense...glossing over they had MF'ing prostitutes sleeping with kids as young as 16 years old....and providing the same benefits to the fathers of recruits....the NCAA was pissed about this...the one woman on the committee....hell..can't remember her exact quote?? disgusted? abhorrent behavior?? something like that...i really do not see the NCAA lessening the penalties especially when they have to hit U6 hard again over the Adidas deal. And who knows where this is going?? U6 and pitino have sued each other.....that is NEVER going to court...no way does either party want McGee to be under oath....

Repugnant.

My prediction is now that they will end up not having to vacate the title or games played. They’re going to go in there and say “Look, we’ve just cleaned house. While in part Pitino and Jurich firings were based on a different situation, we now believe that they had knowledge of things and any penalties should be in the form of show cause orders against those two individuals and not the University because we are committed to changing our course as illustrated by firing these two individuals”. They’re gonna go in there and throw Pitino and Jurich under the bus. They’re gonna cry because their attendance is down and their season tickets are being refunded. I don’t trust the NCAA to do what is right after the whole UNC debacle. I just don’t think the NCAA has the balls to vacate a title. We shall see but that’s my bet.
Keep your wittle fingers crossed,but NO those games and banners were won by CHEATING with ineligible players so they will be VACATED,getting rid of Pitino and Jurich didn't happen until AFTER the 2nd CHEATING SCANDAL while on paper from the first CHEATING SCANDAL,There is reason to use the Death Penalty for Lack of Institutional Control,it ewasn't just Rogue Employees,but the Whole Stinking,Cheating Athletic Dept is Guilty

Just heard (take it for what its worth).. the banner is staying and there may be more scholly reductions and they are now talking about the possibility of another post season ban for UofL.
Your UL Love is showing,but unfortunately like most UL Fans it's both Delusional and Idiotic

If I had a nickel for every time a poster has made this comment about the NCAA...

And then the NCAA goes and makes another ridiculous decision and no other programs do anything to fight for where they were obviously not given preferential treatment. The NCAA does what they want. UL's banners will stay.
All your little troll Wishing in the world isn't going to save the Scummy CHEATERS at UL

That UL troll isnt putting anyone on ignore.......... he's not passing up his only shot at human interaction like that.... I mean he's been so lonely since his mother stopped bathing him and all.
Who said she stopped,then again maybe Zippy took over bathing duties

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT