ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to UK Football 2018 Schedule

I think next years schedule is a little more difficult than this season, but honestly other than Georgia we should be able to compete in every game. Several of the games are toss up games IMO. 6-6 will be disappointing to me. 7-5 content and 8-4 or more, we over achieved.

Improvement in
QB play
Run defense
Secondary

If all three of these happen we will have a very good year. I am not optimistic on the run defense but do feel that the other two can/should improve.

Wins
CMU, Murray, mtsu, vandy

Best chances at other wins
Louisiville, Mizzu, Miss State USC (when we have won four in a row hard to count a sure loss and at home)
(Say we split these)

Games we play well will have a chance to win
AM, Florida, Tennessee
Need to win one of these. All
Three have new coaches, but all three road games and tough places to play. All three have loads of talent. To win any would have to play very well

Games that will more than likely be losses
Georgia

Scenario above gives us a reasonable chance at 7-5. Could be anywhere from 4-8 to 10-2 based on a play here or there. 7-5 splits difference

The open date is perfect in my opinion. Gives the team a good chance to regroup just before UK's 2 most winnable conference games. Also with 4 of the first 6 at home, they could jump out early. To get back to the post-season a 4-2 start is necessary, 3-3 at the absolute worst.

Usually when looking at the schedule i break it into 4 game groups and/or break it into groups of likely wins, likely losses, tossups.

Wins look like:
Murray State, CMU, MTSU
Losses look like:
aTm, UF, UGA

That leaves a lot of tossups:
Mizzou, USC, UT, MSU, UL, Vandy. I was tempted to put Vandy in a win just because of how much they lost and they looked bad down the stretch but it's hard to gaurantee any conference win.

Take care of your scheduled wins, go 3-3 in tossups and another bowl game will happen. I see 7-5...maybe this is UK's ceiling. Good but not good enough.

UK Fans All Day certainly sounds like an unbiased, objective source. The worst season projected by any of their "staff" is 8-4. I commend them on their early analysis of 2018 but I will personally hold off a bit. :D FWIW, I do notice at least 4 teams on the schedule with new HCs (FL, MSU, aTm and TN).

Peace

Thought for a good while 2018 season would be coach Stoops best.
But imo he must take over the defense! Fundamentals were way below average!
Really like Benny, C.J., receivers, and o. line! Now qbs. Terry and/or Gunner need to step up! Think Spring practice and game will tell a lot about this position!
I reserve my guess on win/loss till fall practice is completed.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN [thumb2]
at Florida :thumbsdown:
MURRAY STATE [thumb2]
MISSISSIPPI STATE :thumbsdown:
SOUTH CAROLINA [thumb2]
at Texas A&M :thumbsdown:
VANDERBILT [thumb2]
at Missouri [thumb2]
GEORGIA :thumbsdown:
at Tennessee :thumbsdown:
MIDDLE TENNESSEE [thumb2]
at Louisville :thumbsdown:

6-6 for 2018

Improvement in
QB play
Run defense
Secondary

If all three of these happen we will have a very good year. I am not optimistic on the run defense but do feel that the other two can/should improve.

9-3 this year and chance to vie for SEC East against Georgia!!

Reactions: cat888
A & M might surprise me and become a force, next year, but they finished 7-5 and beat SC at home by less than we beat SC on the road.

One could easily argue that the best 4 games of the last two (winning) seasons have come on the road: 2016 Mizzou and Louisville; 2017 SC and Vandy.

I think the trip to College Station will be the key to the season, and will be a win.

It would be nice to have reasonable expectations but this is Kentucky Football and we strive for excellence. Anything under 8 wins every season is failure and failure is not exceptable at this great university. Yes there are the fans that accept and to be honest thrive on failure. You know who you are.

I am saying 7-5, like a lot of others. Wins over CMU, MSU, USC, Mizzou, Vandy MTSU and UofL
Bottom line, despite all the improvements in facilities, recruiting, marketing the program and creating a game day experience others in the SEC envy, it would appear a significant number of our posters have little or no faith UK can ever win in football.

Bottom line, despite all the improvements in facilities, recruiting, marketing the program and creating a game day experience others in the SEC envy, it would appear a significant number of our posters have little or no faith UK can ever win in football.
One of the most important pieces of a culture change is the buy-in of the fan base. If we accept 7-5 then 7-5 is all it will ever be. I personally believe 8-9 is something that can and should be possible over the next couple years and beyond that who knows. Once the thing gets built it’s built.

It would be nice to have reasonable expectations but this is Kentucky Football and we strive for excellence. Anything under 8 wins every season is failure and failure is not exceptable at this great university. Yes there are the fans that accept and to be honest thrive on failure. You know who you are.

Dang, another one that doesn't have to crawl before they walk, did you say shazam and start walking when you were a month old?

I know that women are smarter than men but dang, don't be rubbing it in.

A & M might surprise me and become a force, next year, but they finished 7-5 and beat SC at home by less than we beat SC on the road.

One could easily argue that the best 4 games of the last two (winning) seasons have come on the road: 2016 Mizzou and Louisville; 2017 SC and Vandy.

I think the trip to College Station will be the key to the season, and will be a win.

Well, dang then, why aren't you demanding ten wins (for a base number) like our real fans, don't we deserve it, haven't we served the time?

Reactions: The-Hack
Wins
CMU, Murray, mtsu, vandy

Best chances at other wins
Louisiville, Mizzu, Miss State USC (when we have won four in a row hard to count a sure loss and at home)
(Say we split these)

Games we play well will have a chance to win
AM, Florida, Tennessee
Need to win one of these. All
Three have new coaches, but all three road games and tough places to play. All three have loads of talent. To win any would have to play very well

Games that will more than likely be losses
Georgia

Scenario above gives us a reasonable chance at 7-5. Could be anywhere from 4-8 to 10-2 based on a play here or there. 7-5 splits difference
I'd take UL and Miss State off the best chance to win list for sure. UK fans like to perceive us to be on level ground with those teams, and in recruiting we are, but performance wise we aren't in the ball park. I believe Tennessee is more likely than either of those teams. I'd list it like this:

Should win:
CMU, Murray, MTSU, Vandy

Possible win:
Mizzu, USC, Tennessee

Hard but possible:
Miss State, AM

Not Likely:
Florida, UL

No chance:
Georgia

If Stoops wants to survive here long term he needs to move a couple of the Possible wins up to the Should win list and the two not likely up to the hard but possible list. He's in a spot now that he has to win all the 50/50 games to succeed.

At this point, it's hard to "trust" in Stoops enough to predict more than 7 wins. I think the schedule has mostly winnable games, but by definition, also a lot of losable games too (as this year taught us). Here is my prediction:

CMU: Win, probably by 2 TD or something as we rarely blow anyone out.
UF: Loss. I don't think they'll be good, but UF and Mullen own us.
Murray: Easy win, for a change.
MSU: I'm going to predict a win. New coach, we're due to start winning our share against these guys.
USC: Opposite of MSU, we are due to lose one against these guys. Loss.
A&M: I'm going to predict a win for some reason.
Vandy: Win. We have passed them.
@MIZZ: Loss. We were lucky to win last year. I'm encouraged by hiring of Dooley but still think they win with Lock at QB.
UGA: Loss. Entering a different stratosphere.
UT: Until I see a win in knoxville, i'm not predicting it.
MTSU: Win.
UL: Win. Lamar was such a big piece of what they do. I think we win in louisville for the second straight time.

As usual, it's a decent year (improvement from the days of yore), but nothing to write home about. 7-5 and a berth in a bowl in Charlotte or Memphis.

No Alabama, Auburn, or LSU. MisSt, UL, and Fla will be rebuilding seasons.

With these rare factors equating into it the BBN should expect NO worse than a 7-5 season when we have an Uber experienced defense and a stud, experienced QB coming in to control our offense. Anything less is a big disappointment and should put MS on a hot seat.

My brain tells me MS will never get our defense disciplined enough to be successful against good teams, and without a competent defense you can’t beat talented, well COACHED teams even if they are fringe top 40. Therefore, I predict 6-6 and if I’m correct I pray the BBN grows a pair and pressures Mitch to move on a HC.

My heart tells me we go 11-1 with our only loss being a last second heart breaker to Georgia. EVERY other game on the schedule is winnable, wether it’s new coaches or teams that are rebuilding, EVERY game but UGA, we have big advantages that should equate to wins.

One of the most important pieces of a culture change is the buy-in of the fan base. If we accept 7-5 then 7-5 is all it will ever be. I personally believe 8-9 is something that can and should be possible over the next couple years and beyond that who knows. Once the thing gets built it’s built.

Yep, because fans have everything to do with wins and losses.....i guess my low expectations and high anxiety are weighing the boys down on game day.

There will be some back to work games, there will be some expected win games. May have to win an underdog game to go Bowling.

Yep, because fans have everything to do with wins and losses.....i guess my low expectations and high anxiety are weighing the boys down on game day.
There should be a
There will be some back to work games, there will be some expected win games. May have to win an underdog game to go Bowling.
Win more than we lose, go to a bowl. Win against Florida, Georgia, A&M, MSU; take care of business and stun the college football world.

Dang, another one that doesn't have to crawl before they walk, did you say shazam and start walking when you were a month old?

I know that women are smarter than men but dang, don't be rubbing it in.
Oh I forgot. The university of Kentucky and yes it's Football program isn't one of the founding members of the SEC. But hey 80 years and your fine with the fact the program is still in diapers.

Would love to know how fan confidence portrays into more wins for the program? If Bama fans were as negative as UK fans are by your premise they likewise would also be a 7-5 program.

The post you quoted mentioned all the improvements UK has experienced yet coaching was not one of them. Getting better quality athletes doesn't translate into better teams without better coaching. Our teams our very poorly coached which is why the likes of EKU and CMU have chances to beat us well into the 4th Qtr. Too many other teams that should have been "easy" victories have been in that situation during all 5 years of the stoops era. Until the coaching improves we are what we are which is 6-6, 7-5 program. Under the current staff it would not surprise me if we don't win 6 next year.

Reactions: NoDef
Would love to know how fan confidence portrays into more wins for the program? If Bama fans were as negative as UK fans are by your premise they likewise would also be a 7-5 program.

The post you quoted mentioned all the improvements UK has experienced yet coaching was not one of them. Getting better quality athletes doesn't translate into better teams without better coaching. Our teams our very poorly coached which is why the likes of EKU and CMU have chances to beat us well into the 4th Qtr. Too many other teams that should have been "easy" victories have been in that situation during all 5 years of the stoops era. Until the coaching improves we are what we are which is 6-6, 7-5 program. Under the current staff it would not surprise me if we don't win 6 next year.

Our style of play also makes games closer than they should be against lesser teams. We play a system that shortens the game, keeps defense off the field. That’s our MO. I think That is also our best style of play to win most of the games we play. I don’t trust our offense to have to score 40 a game to win in a shootout very many times, and I don’t trust our defense to get enough stops, with a lack of depth late in games in shootouts to make up a score or two difference.

You can’t play one way against Teams with more talent than you, and then switch it against teams you are more talented than.

The southern miss game was a one score ballgame, but we also fumbled our first possession on the five going in, and took a knee at the one yard line to end the game. If you watched that game it was pretty clear that USM wasn’t going to move the vall hardly at all on our defense. Play smart, play field position, and take advantage of their mistake (scoop and score)

EM game was same way after the first possession. We give them a free TD to start the game (Florida hangover more than anything IMO) then they needed a trick play to score against us.

But for us to compete with a lot of teams in sec we need the game to be as short as possible. Because we have a talent defencincy (and a great kicker) where we feel if close we have an advantage. Problem is we have to play that same exact style (it’s who we was this past season) on teams we are more talented than. Switching up tempo and schemes isn’t the smart thing to do week to week. This shortens the game and also keeps them in it longer than they should be.

Since adopting this style we have won more than we lost. So hard to argue with the results.

Reactions: jauk11 and RV2
Oh I forgot. The university of Kentucky and yes it's Football program isn't one of the founding members of the SEC. But hey 80 years and your fine with the fact the program is still in diapers.[/QU
Stoops took over a team without any players of SEC caliber or very few at the best. He was the first Coach to hire a full time recruiter from Ohio I still dont understand why that took so long. So yes compared to other teams he took over a team in diapers in the SEC.

Our style of play also makes games closer than they should be against lesser teams. We play a system that shortens the game, keeps defense off the field. That’s our MO. I think That is also our best style of play to win most of the games we play. I don’t trust our offense to have to score 40 a game to win in a shootout very many times, and I don’t trust our defense to get enough stops, with a lack of depth late in games in shootouts to make up a score or two difference.

You can’t play one way against Teams with more talent than you, and then switch it against teams you are more talented than.

The southern miss game was a one score ballgame, but we also fumbled our first possession on the five going in, and took a knee at the one yard line to end the game. If you watched that game it was pretty clear that USM wasn’t going to move the vall hardly at all on our defense. Play smart, play field position, and take advantage of their mistake (scoop and score)

EM game was same way after the first possession. We give them a free TD to start the game (Florida hangover more than anything IMO) then they needed a trick play to score against us.

But for us to compete with a lot of teams in sec we need the game to be as short as possible. Because we have a talent defencincy (and a great kicker) where we feel if close we have an advantage. Problem is we have to play that same exact style (it’s who we was this past season) on teams we are more talented than. Switching up tempo and schemes isn’t the smart thing to do week to week. This shortens the game and also keeps them in it longer than they should be.

Since adopting this style we have won more than we lost. So hard to argue with the results.
I agree that this is what Stoops is doing but I don't agree that it's wise football. Keeping the score close is the best way to lose games you shouldn't. You probably still won't win the games you shouldn't any more often but the occasional slip ups against a Southern Miss or similar team will happen more often. I get it that it's old school defensive minded football but it's also the reason a lot of defensive minded coaches get fired a lot.

Also the reason we have won games recently maps more directly to Benny Snell than it does slowing the game down. Let's see how this system works after he leaves. Even Elliot Uzelac looked like a genius when he had Moe Williams. Playing a system that requires a once in a life time player isn't the formula for success. Also keep in mind closer games against lesser teams means your starters log more minutes, you get less reps for your backups and your main guys get more wear and tear. There is also a reason the last half of the season under Stoops features are lot of 0 for 6 and 1 for 5 type records during the last 6 games. Imagine where we would have been if Stephen Johnson didn't have to get as beat up as he was.

I agree that this is what Stoops is doing but I don't agree that it's wise football. Keeping the score close is the best way to lose games you shouldn't. You probably still won't win the games you shouldn't any more often but the occasional slip ups against a Southern Miss or similar team will happen more often. I get it that it's old school defensive minded football but it's also the reason a lot of defensive minded coaches get fired a lot.

Also the reason we have won games recently maps more directly to Benny Snell than it does slowing the game down. Let's see how this system works after he leaves. Even Elliot Uzelac looked like a genius when he had Moe Williams. Playing a system that requires a once in a life time player isn't the formula for success. Also keep in mind closer games against lesser teams means your starters log more minutes, you get less reps for your backups and your main guys get more wear and tear. There is also a reason the last half of the season under Stoops features are lot of 0 for 6 and 1 for 5 type records during the last 6 games. Imagine where we would have been if Stephen Johnson didn't have to get as beat up as he was.
:okay::clap::clap:[thumb2][thumb2]:sunglasses::cool2:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT