ADVERTISEMENT

Eight Game SEC Schedule for 2025!!

I look at this and next year's schedule and it makes me wish they'd stick at 8 SEC games. 4-4 is likely the ceiling unless we pull a TD+ upset.

Hmmm…Does the SEC plan to look different in 2026 than its current configuration? Maybe that’s why they are just treading water?

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Hmmm…Does the SEC plan to look different in 2026 than its current configuration? Maybe that’s why they are just treading water?
ding ding ding

They just mirrored 2024 schedules to 2025, keeping at 8, and delayed changing opponents or going to 9 until 2026 or later. Just staying constant while other moves in CFB will be happening, soon.

2026 is when the CFB playoff goes to 14. And I theorize the ACC will start the process of falling apart then also.

Maybe that’s why they are just treading water?
I just don’t see a great benefit in going to nine conference games.

If nine is automatically better than eight, isn’t ten better than nine, etc., etc.?

If eight is in some way wrong, why is the SEC the boss conference, with everyone else scrambling either to emulate the SEC or to actually join the SEC?

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.

I just don’t see a great benefit in going to nine conference games.

If nine is automatically better than eight, isn’t ten better than nine, etc., etc.?

If eight is in some way wrong, why is the SEC the boss conference, with everyone else scrambling either to emulate the SEC or to actually join the SEC?

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.

I don't think it's a huge benefit to any one school, but with the amount of money being thrown around, if the big goes to 9-10 games the SEC will be forced to follow if they want to stay close with the payouts. Who gets really excited about UK-AKRON or UGA-UAB. It's a no win situation, sunset to win big, when you do no one cares. But play close or even lose everyone takes notice. I may not be around to see it, but I think cupcake games are a thing of the past within 5 years when all games are ppv.

If the SEC goes to a 9 game schedule it will just make it harder for the league to get a 3rd or even a 2nd team into the playoffs as the committee looks strongly at w/l records.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
if the big goes to 9-10 games the SEC will be forced to follow if they want to stay close with the payouts.
The big has already been at 9, and we still profit, hugely.

With only 8, but with 16 schools, that is a massive amount of air time being filled with them, as it is.

Go to 9, 10, or 11 and you will have conference games being played on the least attractive ESPN portals, where the minor, non-conference games are currently.

Seriously, how many slots are there for premium games each Saturday?

Reactions: CGblue
If the SEC goes to a 9 game schedule it will just make it harder for the league to get a 3rd or even a 2nd team into the playoffs as the committee looks strongly at w/l records.
I find it difficult to believe that a win over Eastern counts more than playing, win/lose, an SEC team. Besides, at 12/14 teams, I think SOS & Power Ranking will outweigh W/L.

I find it difficult to believe that a win over Eastern counts more than playing, win/lose, an SEC team. Besides, at 12/14 teams, I think SOS & Power Ranking will outweigh W/L.
I think they should too but will the committee see it that way? I'm inclined to think they still weight more heavily on w/l record.

Reactions: The-Hack

We getting 3 in regardless of records, now the 4th might be an issue. But if a team isn't playing a competitive schedule why should they expect to be in the playoffs at 9-3, or even 10-2 if you get some of the weaker conference games?

The big has already been at 9, and we still profit, hugely.

With only 8, but with 16 schools, that is a massive amount of air time being filled with them, as it is.

Go to 9, 10, or 11 and you will have conference games being played on the least attractive ESPN portals, where the minor, non-conference games are currently.

Seriously, how many slots are there for premium games each Saturday?

And they are getting a larger TV deal too.

That's why they won't go to 9 until CFB playoff expands to 14 in 2026 (if then), with the SEC guaranteed 3 slots

What benefits are there for UK for SEC to go to 9? None. What benefits came to UK adding Texas & Oklahoma? None. Hurts us. What benefits came to UK adding Mizzou & Texas A&M? Again, none.

When you are a non power, non traditional winning program in a power conference agreeing to expansion is just about agreeing to more losses for bigger checks. Period. Otherwise if doesn't benefit schools like Kentucky or Indiana or Miss St or Purdue. Take the check, take the losses.

I think they should too but will the committee see it that way? I'm inclined to think they still weight more heavily on w/l record.

Where would a win over Central be counted as a quality win? Bama heard the term quality loss while jumping an undefeated FSU. Everyone would like to be 12-0, i get that, but if you are worried about a 9 game conference schedule do you really need to be in the playoffs?

That's why they won't go to 9 until CFB playoff expands to 14 in 2026 (if then), with the SEC guaranteed 3 slots

What benefits are there for UK for SEC to go to 9? None. What benefits came to UK adding Texas & Oklahoma? None. Hurts us. What benefits came to UK adding Mizzou & Texas A&M? Again, none.
I conclude from this that beating Eastern is of more value to you & UK than maybe losing to an SEC team. I disagree. Also, as I've said many times, why add more schools to SEC if not going to play them? What's the fraternity in that? Seems to me more conference games would bring in more revenue for SEC than playing Bowling Green.

Friday: I hardly ever watch Paul Finebaum, but yesterday afternoon I drifted in for some unknown reason. A caller asked what is the value of a 9th SEC game. Finebaum said basically the same as me in my interpretation. Also said there's a new SEC ESPN contract coming up this summer & the issue should be clearer then.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT