ADVERTISEMENT

London

To be clear on this, the mayor flat out lied on KSR, right?

I don't think he lied at all. I think he relayed the information he had at the time. Totally different. In situations like this, at that stage, information changes by the minute. Unfair for a large voice in the state to say it was dishonesty.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I don't think he lied at all. I think he relayed the information he had at the time. Totally different. In situations like this, at that stage, information changes by the minute. Unfair for a large voice in the state to say it was dishonesty.
At minimum it was recklessly careless. That guy shouldn’t be in charge

Now the infamous world chicken festival is at risk of being cancelled. The locals are getting restless and may riot if they don't get to see Uncle Kracker.
The 10th Region girls golf tournament was supposed to be at the London Country Club next Monday but according to the KHSAA will be moved if he hasn't been caught soon. The question is when will they make the announcement it is going to be somewhere else so teams can play a practice round wherever they decide to have it. Most teams have probably played multiple times at London to get experience on that course and now they will have to possibly play a course that they may have never played before.

You can believe this or not, but his immediate family is not helping him. Friends--most likely not. He bought a new sleeping bag a little before all of this, and likely has some food, supplies, and gun(s). They feel pretty positive they caught him on a trail cam in the Wood Creek area days ago. The scent for the dogs is harder to trace after so many people went through trails and looking for him. All of that is from some who should know and been up there multiple times.

He'll eventually have to be like Eric Rudolph and go dumpster-diving, etc. He can't hunt with a gun because the noise would likely be heard.

Mother Nature will be something to deal with over time--there are random drop-offs, snakes, chiggers, other bugs, etc. If he is still up there and alive, his quality of life will suck. Hopefully, they catch him soon.

What motivation did he have to lie?

I don’t know the guy, but your take makes the most sense.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
So they aren't giving up the search, but moving ground resources from searching the woods to protecting the community. Still going to fly and search.

I will despise King Andy Beshear until the day he apologizes for the absolute tyrannical bullshit during COVID. Eff that guy.

That said, he is incredibly good at an informative press conference and always provides a steady presence in a time of need. This pretty well lays out where it stands now.

Reactions: parrott
His house in Gray is (or at least was) all boarded up.

I likely will find out more tomorrow or this weekend, but I'm wondering if they're putting more efforts into the community since there's all these "supposed sightings" of him. They actually searched a house on Mitchell Creek Road and had a megaphone asking him to come out and this stuff. Obviously, it ended up being a false alarm.

My prediction is: suicide by cops or someone in the community sees him (no way he stays in the forever if he's alive) and does him in. A lot of people in the area are anxious and a lot people carry or have guns at home. It may be a while and hope I'm wrong, but I would guess a violent end. I figure if the cops catch him in the woods, it will be because they see see him on some of the cameras they set up.

Seems like law enforcement and the Governor are trying to get a sense of normalcy around the area again and make people feel safe, which is smart. It could be a while until Couch is caught or if they find a body. Although I see suicide as being less likely the more I hear.

How come?
It appears he planned to be in the woods for at least some period of time. So, my *opinion* is you wouldn't go hide in the woods and then kill yourself. Of course, it's possible, but would be sort of dumb. However, people do crazy things (and he's unstable).

The ones searching flashbanged the caves in the area. Not sure how many, but was told some of the caves you go in and they go straight down and then it's sort of flat at the bottom.

Personally, I was reading about Eric Rudolph who was in the woods in North Carolina for 5 years (Google him if you find stuff like this interesting). I read about how the FBI and Rudolph himself said you eventually have to go out and go through dumpsters and sneak around to get supplies (some speculate he had outside help to last 5 years). He would also move around at night and at least two campsites he rotated around.

I would hope cameras around the water sources up there and around people's houses, you would catch him. I may be in the minority, but one reason I hope they catch him alive (and nobody else injured) is to hear his methodology.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
At minimum it was recklessly careless. That guy shouldn’t be in charge

You're just parroting ksr. Information changes by the second at that point. The fact info changed doesn't mean he lied. This isn't hard.

What motivation did he have to lie?

I don’t know the guy, but your take makes the most sense.

Exactly. Information was fluid. He relayed what he was told. Only Jones inexplicably made a big deal of it and his lackeys predictably lapped it up.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Matt Jones didn't make a big deal of it. He politely changed the subject, likely because the mayor's statement was bizarre and did not fit any of the known facts at the time. It seems more likely that the mayor was stupidly trying to lie to the public to tamp down fear than it was a fog of war moment.

I have no idea if the guy intentionally lied or not but that sort of reckless communication from an official can get people killed, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Thankfully Couch had stopped shooting by the time that blabbermouth got started.

You're just parroting ksr. Information changes by the second at that point. The fact info changed doesn't mean he lied. This isn't hard.

Exactly. Information was fluid. He relayed what he was told. Only Jones inexplicably made a big deal of it and his lackeys predictably lapped it up.
Yeah you trollin’ and shitpostin’. There’s nothing to debate here

Reactions: DanCat17
Matt Jones didn't make a big deal of it. He politely changed the subject, likely because the mayor's statement was bizarre and did not fit any of the known facts at the time. It seems more likely that the mayor was stupidly trying to lie to the public to tamp down fear than it was a fog of war moment.

I have no idea if the guy intentionally lied or not but that sort of reckless communication from an official can get people killed, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Thankfully Couch had stopped shooting by the time that blabbermouth got started.

I disagree that was “more likely.” The most likely explanation is he had bad facts and was attempting to convey those facts to the public. It is less likely that he had good facts, but wanted to lie to tamp down fear.

He brought it up out of the blue in the unfortunate 5 minutes i tuned in trying to hear football news. True enough he only dwelled on it 90 seconds or so, but to raise it at all was unfair. It was unfair for the very reason we see here - some people swallowed it whole and ran with it.

When i heard it driving home, the guy said 7 were shot but noone was dead as of yet and they had at least gunman with noone in custody. Im not sure how thats underselling anything. Just a plain recital of the facts as he knew them at the time. Turned out it was really pretty spot on.

The man shouldve been commended for relaying what he was told. Especially since noone else would say anything.

KSP have located a body around exit 49. Currently working to identify the person.

Apparently a live streamer located it and ksp is confirming id.

If (big if) this is him there should be tons of questions about this search considering 1) its literally right where he was and 2) law enforcement didn't even find him.

Didn't stop ksp from posting up all around the state for speeding tickets though.

Apparently a live streamer located it and ksp is confirming id.

If (big if) this is him there should be tons of questions about this search considering 1) its literally right where he was and 2) law enforcement didn't even find him.

Didn't stop ksp from posting up all around the state for speeding tickets though.
In KSP’s defense, there were some briar patches in the area around exit 49.

YouTubers Hatfield McCoy Museum Adventures found the body. There's a video and the corpse seems decomposed.

No offense but that definitely doesn't sound like much of a defense to me. Especially when some live streamer found the body. Thats the case no matter who it is.
I know two people that searched for him and like them a lot, but I agree. I know it's a big area, but if it's Couch, it looks bad if random YouTubers found him nearby and the body has been there a while. I would feel for his family, but would put the community at ease.

I said last page that the buzzards would give him up. Leave it to the rednecks that know the woods 1 day after the manhunt was called off. lol
Did they sleep out there for a few days? That's a much different way of knowing an area than you can get in 8 hour shifts.

The end result isn't surprising but the McCoy family finding the body adds a new wrinkle. They'll be famous tomorrow. Sounds as if the manhunt kept expanding until there was so much ground to cover that it almost felt useless to continue. Makes sense the body ended up being nearby the whole time. Never bought the theories of him having some grand plan as if he was stocked up for the winter or something. He likely snapped, failed at his plan which didn't seem like much of a plan to begin with, ran panicked, and now we've got a body in the woods days later.

^ disregard if the body isn't him but I think it's him.

Did they sleep out there for a few days? That's a much different way of knowing an area than you can get in 8 hour shifts.
Was talking about knowledge of the woods in general. Totally different skill set than a typical police officer. Common woods sense though to look for buzzards and walk downwind of their location until you hit the smell of something dead. Found several bucks like that during the EHD wipeout several years ago.

The end result isn't surprising but the McCoy family finding the body adds a new wrinkle. They'll be famous tomorrow. Sounds as if the manhunt kept expanding until there was so much ground to cover that it almost felt useless to continue. Makes sense the body ended up being nearby the whole time. Never bought the theories of him having some grand plan as if he was stocked up for the winter or something. He likely snapped, failed at his plan which didn't seem like much of a plan to begin with, ran panicked, and now we've got a body in the woods days later.

^ disregard if the body isn't him but I think it's him.
---
If it's the McCoys I know, Fred was the former police chief in Hustonville in Lincoln County. He's a good guy, as a matter of fact, I got my conceal carry in one of his classes years ago.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
I would have thought someone would have heard a gunshot when he killed himself. (Assume that's how he did it.)

I would have thought someone would have heard a gunshot when he killed himself. (Assume that's how he did it.)
Most likely. But if you look near the area there are a lot of overhangs. Could have dampened the sound or projected it away from law enforcement. He could have done it before anyone was on scene too. Far fetched idea but he could have fell off one of the overhangs or tucked in to hide and bitten by a snake (doubtful in both).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT