ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go Cards!! 2013 edition

3rex, thanks for the link. That's actually a very good article. I was reading some of the reader comments and someone hit the nail on the head when the person mentioned the importance of Molina to the StL pitching staff.

This post was edited on 10/23 12:26 PM by *CatinIL*

A positive for me and those within the StL radio network...we can turn on the radio and avoid Joe Buck.
sick0021.r191677.gif

WOW. terrible call on the ground ball out at 2nd...and I'm pulling against Boston. OK, the umps fixed the call.

This post was edited on 10/23 8:32 PM by *CatinIL*

Well the bright side...

Its just one game.

If you have Game 5 tickets, you get to see some WS baseball!!

Lots of baseball left.

Let's go Cards!! :)

the guys looked really tight and really nervous. really out of character in game 1. and they still had some opportunities to get back in it but didn't cash in. only game 1. win game 2 and everyone forgets about that awful performance.

Well, I don't know what will happen the rest of the way but watching the "young guns" on the mound has been an absolute blast over the past month or so.

It sure has. Funny, didn't ABH keep saying last year that we had zero major league talent in the minors?

Originally posted by 3rex:

Well, I don't know what will happen the rest of the way but watching the "young guns" on the mound has been an absolute blast over the past month or so.

You have to love the "Young Guns" if you're a Redbirds fan! They were flat bringing the heat last night. These guys are fun to watch.

ABH is clueless. Their minor league system is loaded. The Cardinals are set up to be good for a long time. I think they have 17 players on their roster right now that are home grown. That's ridiculous.

Oscar Tavarez should come up next year. That will be fun.

Originally posted by Shew:
It sure has. Funny, didn't ABH keep saying last year that we had zero major league talent in the minors?
it was actually the year before, which made it even funnier, because he spent an entire season trashing our entire organization from top to bottom IN A SEASON WHERE WE ULTIMATELY WON THE WORLD SERIES! :)

His almost exact words were "you have no one in your minor league system that anyone even wants!" And he repeated it over & over as if that somehow made it true.

What a clown...

Anyhoo I loved the move last night keeping CMart in to face Papi. I realized that Papi could have turned one of those fastballs around & parked it in the seats but I wanted to go power vs. power with the game on the line. MM went that way & it worked out.

To be fair, when I posted that your farm system was ranked 26th or 27th in all of baseball. Pretty sure I posted some links, too.
Michael Wacha was pitching for Texas A&M, so Im not sure what point youre trying to make. Rosenthal was a 21st round pick and not highly regarded. You had Shelby Miller, who is a stud. But when I posted that, your farm system was down. Its not anymore.

Ive come to the conclusion that the Cards could draft 3rex and he would be a 5 time all-star. Its the organization. You are the best at developing players, there is no question about it. Guys who suck or are on the downside of their career put on a Cardinals uniform and suddenly become legends.

Chris Carpenter is a perfect example. He was extraordinarily abysmal in Toronto. The guy never had an era below 4.09. In Toronto, he was a sub .500 pitcher with a career era of 4.83. Thats awful. He comes to St. Louis, he goes 95-44 with a 3.07 ERA, wins a Cy Young and a World Series MVP.

You have the best organization in baseball, thats not debatable. I dont like the Cards, but I respect them for sure.

gutsy move by matheny sending the runners in the top of the 7th. had runners on 1st and 2nd, one out, but the bottom of the order up. the team needed a spark down one after ortiz's blast. uncharacteristic for us to steal. boston is the running team, not us. but it worked. we then had two runners in scoring position, and the put the pressure on boston. hindsight and all that, i know. but that could end up being the call of the series by matheny. we take the lead and never look back. shifted the momentum in our favor heading back to stl tied 1-1. we were literally, potentially on the brink. after game 1's thud, wacha throwing a great game with a one run lead only to be completely deflated by big papi's home run. the crowd was rocking at that point. we could have easily folded under the lights and headed back home down 2-0. that successful double steal turned the pressure back on to boston and our bats finally came through with runners in scoring position. could be a series changing call to this point!

Originally posted by thabigbluenation:
gutsy move by matheny sending the runners in the top of the 7th. had runners on 1st and 2nd, one out, but the bottom of the order up. the team needed a spark down one after ortiz's blast. uncharacteristic for us to steal. boston is the running team, not us. but it worked. we then had two runners in scoring position, and the put the pressure on boston. hindsight and all that, i know. but that could end up being the call of the series by matheny. we take the lead and never look back. shifted the momentum in our favor heading back to stl tied 1-1. we were literally, potentially on the brink. after game 1's thud, wacha throwing a great game with a one run lead only to be completely deflated by big papi's home run. the crowd was rocking at that point. we could have easily folded under the lights and headed back home down 2-0. that successful double steal turned the pressure back on to boston and our bats finally came through with runners in scoring position. could be a series changing call to this point!
You just hit the nail on the head for the game last night!

Originally posted by assistbyhawkins:

To be fair, when I posted that your farm system was ranked 26th or 27th in all of baseball. Pretty sure I posted some links, too.
Michael Wacha was pitching for Texas A&M, so Im not sure what point youre trying to make. Rosenthal was a 21st round pick and not highly regarded. You had Shelby Miller, who is a stud. But when I posted that, your farm system was down. Its not anymore.

Ive come to the conclusion that the Cards could draft 3rex and he would be a 5 time all-star. Its the organization. You are the best at developing players, there is no question about it. Guys who suck or are on the downside of their career put on a Cardinals uniform and suddenly become legends.

Chris Carpenter is a perfect example. He was extraordinarily abysmal in Toronto. The guy never had an era below 4.09. In Toronto, he was a sub .500 pitcher with a career era of 4.83. Thats awful. He comes to St. Louis, he goes 95-44 with a 3.07 ERA, wins a Cy Young and a World Series MVP.

You have the best organization in baseball, thats not debatable. I dont like the Cards, but I respect them for sure.
Thanks for the kind words for the Card organization, been a fan since I was a kid listening to Jack Buck on Kmox. I lived down in western part of the state in Cardinal country. I understand some of the minor league opinion at that time since it was before Wacha and some of the other pitchers hadn't developed but how did they miss so bad with all the pitching that was there. The rookie pitchers have carried us to the WS. What publication was it anyway, Sporting News?

The rookie pitchers have carried us to the WS. What publication was it anyway, Sporting News?
There were several.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2011/2611472.html

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/a/13101

Espn had you in the mid 20s, its an insiders article and I dont pay for that anymore, so I cant link it the entire thing.

This one has you at 17, and here is what it had to say.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/834247-mlb-power-rankings-rating-every-mlb-farm-system/page/15

Jeff Curry/Getty Images

No. of 2011 Top 100 Prospects:[/B]Two
No. of 2011 Minor League All-Stars: [/B]15
After being ranked near the dead bottom in 2010, the Cardinals have built for the future with pitcher Shelby Miller, along with some solid talented depth behind him on the farm.
With the Brewers not building long-term, St. Louis should be back atop the NL Central in no time.

The rookie pitchers have carried us to the WS. What publication was it anyway, Sporting News?
There were several.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2011/2611472.html

Espn had you in the mid 20s, its an insiders article and I dont pay for that anymore, so I cant link it the entire thing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/834247-mlb-power-rankings-rating-every-mlb-farm-system/page/15

Jeff Curry/Getty Images

After being ranked near the dead bottom in 2010, the Cardinals have built for the future with pitcher Shelby Miller, along with some solid talented depth behind him on the farm.

With the Brewers not building long-term, St. Louis should be back atop the NL Central in no time.
go away clown

signed,
Matt Carpenter-- signed by Cards in 2009

Matt Adams-- signed by Cards in 2009

Allen Craig-- signed by Cards in 2006 & called up in late 2010

Oscar Tavares-- signed by Cards in 2009

Lance Lynn-- signed by Cards in 2008

Shelby Miller-- signed by Cards in 2009

Joe Kelly-- signed by Cards in 2009

Pete Kozma-- signed by Cards in 2007

Kevin Siegrist-- signed by Cards in 2008

Trevor Rosenthal-- signed by Cards in 2009

In the words of abh on the Cardinals...."you're pathetic organization doesn't have anybody that any team even wants!!!"

This post was edited on 10/26 11:48 PM by 3rex

This post was edited on 10/26 11:51 PM by 3rex

There were several.

Jeff Curry/Getty Images

Thanks for the links, it wasn't that I doubted youir word, I was just wondering why the experts missed so badly on our pitching prospects. FWIW, I don't think the Cardinals knew what they had as far as the number of guys that would be pitching this well this soon.

I hope our bats can come back to life in Boston, we need some offence to go along with our pitching.

I love having Wacha going with our season on the line. If the bats can wake up & we can somehow get it to a Game 7 then the pressure really shifts to the Sox & anything can happen at that point.

Boston pitching on fire. Not much you can do except tip your cap.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

Originally posted by kyfan606:
I hope our bats can come back to life in Boston, we need some offence to go along with our pitching.
Agree, Reds fan here, but bet on the Cards to win the Series. One guy that is amazing is the little Japanese closer. Everytime he throws that splitter I want to scream at the TV "don't swing!!" It hardly ever is a strike and yet St. Louis keeps flailing away.

i agree in that i love having wacha in this situation. kid just doesn't blink. has ice water in his veins, all the cliche's. that being said, ortiz is killing us. imo, u have to balance the books before this series is over. what else do you have to lose at this point. and by that, i mean, u have to make him uncomfortable at the plate. guy is just digging in and zoning in and letting loose on pitches. you have to get him off the plate. let him know that he isn't going to be comfy. if you hit him, you hit him. i'm old school. gibson would never let a guy this hot just sit up there and dig in, he would let him know who is in charge of the at bat. you got to go after ortiz, and then just go down swinging, fighting. i'm tired of seeing these strikeouts looking. let it rip! my .02 tonight.

^^^^ What a terrible play and terrible game by the Cards. Offense stunk the entire series and lots of uncharacteristic mistakes defensively. Need to get some bats in a bad kind of way.

This post was edited on 10/30 11:58 PM by Anthony B

Will be interesting to see what the offseason brings. We definitely have several marketable pieces, if Mo chooses to use any of them in a deal.

2013 was a blast!! Thanks Redbirds!!!

Looking forward to opening day '14.

Originally posted by 3rex:

Will be interesting to see what the offseason brings. We definitely have several marketable pieces, if Mo chooses to use any of them in a deal.

2013 was a blast!! Thanks Redbirds!!!

Looking forward to opening day '14.

I was just saying that in another post. The Redbirds have a good crop of young guns throwing for them now. I don't see them resigning Beltran. A local radio station was discussing various moves that they will probably make but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. One guy mentioned moving Craig to right field and keeping Adams at 1st base. I'll besurprised if Jay is back in CF next year and Kozma will be dealt away.

This post was edited on 11/1 9:19 AM by *CatinIL*

Congrats to Yadi & MCarp!!

3rd & 4th in MVP voting & well deserved!!

Wainwright 2nd in Cy Young....Shelby Miller 4th, I believe, in ROY.

Hate to see a fun season come to an end....from picked 3rd in the NL Central to game 6 of the WS

Hope we get some upgrades in Hot Stove season!

This post was edited on 11/15 11:05 AM by 3rex

The Reds sure love them some ex-Cards!!....can't really blame 'em for that

Good luck to Skip Schumaker!

Thanks for the memories David Freeze. Hope Peter Bourjos is a step up in center field.

Im a David Freese fan but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this trade. Did I mention I LOVE this deal?!?!

On a related note, there seems to be no truth to the rumor that the Angels will be signing Ryan Theriot & Rafael Furcal for 2B & SS

You all are going to sign Peralta, too, which is an ENORMOUS upgrade at SS over Kozma. Very good move by the Cards.

I like the move as well.

Going into the offseason, I fully expected Mozeliak to address some needs, especially towards SS & CF.

But to do so, and in the process upgrade our defense at 3B & 2B as well, without giving up any of the power arms is pretty cool, in my opinion. I expected that we would be looking at dealing a Lynn or Miller or even a Carlos Martinez.
To make these upgrades AND bring all these guys back including Oscar Taveras & Matt Adams, keeps the Cards in a pretty nice position for the future.

Don't want to get too greedy but hope for maybe a minor move or two to upgrade our bench. :)

Pretty good Hot Stove League for the Cards so far, tho.

This post was edited on 11/24 4:14 PM by 3rex

You all are going to sign Peralta, too, which is an ENORMOUS upgrade at SS over Kozma. Very good move by the Cards.
I like this move as well now just get some bench players with a little pop and we should be set for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT