ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s straighten a few things out about this contract

I hate to disagree with you, but Cal doesn't really care anymore about the media's opinions. In his mind he has already MADE IT. Also, he feels like he has EARNED every dime of his contract whether he wins or loses, another reflection of his HUGE ego. And he plans on making UK pay dearly to get rid of him, especially now that we all want him gone. In his mind he thinks we are all just RUBES that he has OUTSMARTED by signing his lifetime contract that makes him KING.

Cal used UCLA to FINALLY get ALL of the leverage over Mitch, whom he can't stand, so he will make UK pay dearly for his resignation.

JMHO

We’ll see but I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that he can’t stay in that seat for years to come with Rome burning. That kind of stress will kill a man I don’t care what he’s worth. It will be a daily thrashing.

UK had to divert over 6mil to keep the athletic department in the black last year because of lost revenue from covid. They operate on a 5 billion dollar budget. Do people really not think they can find the money to buy out Cal before they continue to see a loss on one of their only two money makers in athletics?

That’s not where the money comes from. UK has the money at their disposal to do what they want to do. It just depends on how and when they want to.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
UK had to divert over 6mil to keep the athletic department in the black last year because of lost revenue from covid. They operate on a 5 billion dollar budget. Do people really not think they can find the money to buy out Cal before they continue to see a loss on one of their only two money makers in athletics?
The TV money UK receives DWARFS everything else now. It would take 3 or more years of down attendance to put a dent in the revenue coming from ticket sales. By the time it became a problem, Cal's buyout will be even MORE manageable.

I’m sorry, but why not?

The man is in his 60s, he’s already accomplished everything he wanted to accomplish, he’s already landed the most super lucrative long-term coaching contract ever, one designed to take him to his career’s finish line in a manner which guarantees he and his family obscene wealth to the end …all he has to do is ride that contract out or accept our outrageously large buyout check if we choose to fire him.

I think you’d have a hard time finding another guy who can better “afford to have his reputation tarnished.”
No cal still has friends and ally’s. If he squats at UK as he is he will get torched by his own people, he won’t get another job. The guy will be remembered as a loser who had 2 ffs vacated. Obscene amounts of money don’t buy reputation and cal is all about his. Half the buyout would help him take the high ground maybe continue his career in a respectable manner. Cal would end up very sorry he held bbn hostage over some stupid deal given to him by a defunct moron. Like I’ve said numerous times that shoe has to drop first. Barney needs to hit the bricks and pave the way for someone to play hard ball with cal.

Do you know anything about basketball? If you do, can you explain to the rest us why Kentucky folded like a toilet seat when Missouri’s rookie head coach threw a zone defense at us? Also why did we on more than one occasion on an inbounds play, throw the ball into the corner to someone who neither could handle the ball or shoot from any distance outside 2 feet (Lance Ware)?
I don't think the play was designed for Ware to shoot. When you can't hit wide open jump shots over and over again you tend to panic when the ball is passed to you. You pass up shots and pass the ball away.
This year's team is simply very mediocre. Cal shares the blame for creating the roster. No coach could do much better than Cal with the talent he has this year.

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
We’ll see but I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that he can’t stay in that seat for years to come with Rome burning. That kind of stress will kill a man I don’t care what he’s worth. It will be a daily thrashing.
You are talking about the man that said after losing to UT in the SEC Tournament that he was GLAD he could get back home to see his dogs now.

Since Mitch gave in and allowed Cal to sign that HUGE contract, Cal has become a different man. He knows he holds ALL of the cards and it's going to cost all of us a FORTUNE to get rid of him.

That contract fulfilled his ego even moreso than winning ever did. Heck, this is the coach that proclaimed NBA Draft night success was BIGGER than a National Title.

He makes me want to PUKE!! But Mitch makes me even WORSE!!!

The TV money UK receives DWARFS everything else now. It would take 3 or more years of down attendance to put a dent in the revenue coming from ticket sales. By the time it became a problem, Cal's buyout will be even MORE manageable.
All the more reason to buyout Cal now. Last year each school received over 54 million plus another 24 million for covid help from the SEC Network. The money is there but with the highly ranked class coming in, if it's going to happen, it will happen after next season.

All the more reason to buyout Cal now. Last year each school received over 54 million plus another 24 million for covid help from the SEC Network. The money is there but with the highly ranked class coming in, if it's going to happen, it will happen after next season.
Even after next season, the buyout will be over $30 million!!!

I can't see any way UK will pay that. Then if by some way they did, it will take another $50 million to pay the next big time coach's contract. That's $80 million!!!

Even after next season, the buyout will be over $30 million!!!

I can't see any way UK will pay that. Then if by some way they did, it will take another $50 million to pay the next big time coach's contract. That's $80 million!!!
The next coach wouldn't get all that money up front. Contracts are paid per year over the life of the contract not all at once.

1. It is not a lifetime contract.

2. It can be settled and will be settled. Calipari cannot stay in Lexington with everyone wanting him out. He will be forced to negotiate a settlement agreement, and this is the main reason he wanted a buyout so large. To be able to settle at his price, not to suck and stay.

3. The reason people think it’s a lifetime contract is because of the ambassador provision. But this provision is easily bought out for 1 million dollars. He is not going to be given the lifetime ambassadorship at this point. Therefore, like point 1 explains, there is no lifetime contract.

Some of this contract mess needs to be sorted out. Far too many people aren’t understanding how this works and that includes you Matt Jones.
**** Cal and his contract. Suspend him indefinitely (permanently) and embarrass his worthless ass until he crawls away.

Never allow him around the team again......ever.

What goes is a highly rated class if you don’t develop them ?

**** Cal and his contract. Suspend him indefinitely (permanently) and embarrass his worthless ass until he crawls away.

Never allow him around the team again......ever
Technically couldn’t they just hire another coach and ban him from the facilities? He’s a narcissist, I dont think he would stand for it. That would tarnish his image for sure. Obviously it wouldn't happen.

Grom is right everybody settles. Especially when they are miserable. The tipping point will be when he comes home and realizes Ellen is miserable too. And she will be if she's not already.

The next coach will not start out making 9 million a year. Let's say they start out making 7 million a year for 5 years. That saves UK 10 million right there.

I'm guessing he stays through next year and we pay around $20 million. Boosters will pay about half of that and UK pays the other.

M
Do you know anything about basketball? If you do, can you explain to the rest us why Kentucky folded like a toilet seat when Missouri’s rookie head coach threw a zone defense at us? Also why did we on more than one occasion on an inbounds play, throw the ball into the corner to someone who neither could handle the ball or shoot from any distance outside 2 feet (Lance Ware)?
Not to mention the fact that Missouri has a lot of new players via transfers, etc. They're basically a whole new team with a new coach and they still buried their basketball shoes ankle deep in our asses. We weren’t even competitive for most of the game. They took control right off the bat and kept it all the way. 100% unacceptable.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet. (I only went through half the thread.) But John Calipari isn't going away defeated and tail tucked. He HAS to have a plan B magically appear to save face. The ole "opportunity I've always dreamed about and just couldn't pass up" routine. Or minor health scare. There is ZERO chance his ego will allow him to leave if it looks like he's been fired as a failure. ZERO. Mitch will let him get something lined up before dropping his tiny pink plastic hammer. That takes time, maybe a full season. Which should line up with his biggest failure - next year's class. One and a half more seasons, folks.

2. It can be settled and will be settled. Calipari cannot stay in Lexington with everyone wanting him out. He will be forced to negotiate a settlement agreement, and this is the main reason he wanted a buyout so large. To be able to settle at his price, not to suck and stay.

3. The reason people think it’s a lifetime contract is because of the ambassador provision. But this provision is easily bought out for 1 million dollars. He is not going to be given the lifetime ambassadorship at this point. Therefore, like point 1 explains, there is no lifetime contract.

Some of this contract mess needs to be sorted out. Far too many people aren’t understanding how this works and that includes you Matt Jones.
So let me get this straight. You think that something that's worth $1 million a YEAR is going to get settled for $1 million one time fee??? LOL You obviously have no experience in contract negotiations. That will not happen. Even if he is bought out, Cal will be associated with the the university for philanthropy etc. He's not going anywhere in that regard.

What amazes me about @MattJonesKSR is he’ll spend the first 15 minutes of the show absolutely crushing Cal only to spend virtually the rest of the show defending him against the opinions of his callers. It’s as if he feels guilty about his monologue and tries to create some balance by debating his callers.

And Matt’s opening is great. I mean I find myself almost cheering as he’s discussing “this isn’t Kentucky basketball”. I’m fist-pumping and saying “that’s right” for the entirety. So he gets the fans all gassed up and they call in and one happens to make mention some version of “we need to get rid of him” and Matt immediately goes into smarmy “that’s not gonna happen” as if it’s the most ridiculous notion ever conceived. Dude, you just spent 15 minutes making the case of how he’s no longer the right fit!
If Matt could speak freely, he would blast Calipari for an hour, but Matt has too much to lose by going apeshit on a guy so highly thought of.

Matt has his ESPN gig, he has a restaurant and he has his radio show. He has to be very careful what he says and you can tell he gas also sensored all of his co hosts.

I also think he's holding back to keep a sliver of hope that CCC will come on his show. He can’t just blast him.

I don't think the play was designed for Ware to shoot. When you can't hit wide open jump shots over and over again you tend to panic when the ball is passed to you. You pass up shots and pass the ball away.
This year's team is simply very mediocre. Cal shares the blame for creating the roster. No coach could do much better than Cal with the talent he has this year.
I was with you for a long part of that post, until your last sentence. I totally disagree.

This team has a top 10 draft pick and a returning NPOY at the 5. That's already more talent than most teams in the country.

That’s not even mentioning Livingston, who is also a 1st round pick talent, Wheeler, who led the SEC in assists for 3 straight years and two 45% + 3 point shooters.

Can you name even 1 team that has better talent than what I just listed? Give me 1 team.

Yup, every player not named Oscar and Wallace are playing poorly and I'll say even those two aren't playing close to their potential. Everyone is struggling and every reason for their struggles falls flat on Cal. He is the common denominator.

Our guys look totally uncoached, confused and everything we do is a struggle.

Heck, Cal is still juggling his lineup. It’s late December and he has yet to figure out who should be playing and so we have no identity whatsoever.

Technically couldn’t they just hire another coach and ban him from the facilities? He’s a narcissist, I dont think he would stand for it. That would tarnish his image for sure. Obviously it wouldn't happen.
No, his contract guarantees him the head coaching position. UK can’t take away the HC spot …even if it’s to reassign him …without owing him the buyout.

Does anybody know if there is performance language written into the contract? If not, Mitch should be fired before I finish typing this out. It would mean the contract is completely one sided and Cal holds all the cards. That would be stupid.

There HAS to be performance language in there. I'd be shocked if there wasn’t.

But, either way, I don't see Cal leaving 13-23 million dollars behind. If he settles on a 17 million dollar buyout, he'll have screwed himself out of a lot of money.

You can hire one hell of a security team for a smidge of that coin and since Cal is as stubborn as they come, he would just ignore the noise and just keep on doing what he's doing. I do not see him settling for less than what the contract buyout is at that time.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Ok I'll admit I'm a dirty fighter , but I play to win .. hopefully Mitch shocks us and drums up a show clause of some sort -- lack of trying ?? ( thats a joke ) or not making athletes attend class , or he fill. in the. blank with whatever asterisk we can find to run this guy off .. he's destroyed our program .. its over .. dont waste another year believing on 18 year old recruits . Thats insanity in and of itself .. he must go this year .

If he squats at UK as he is he will get torched by his own people, he won’t get another job.
But he doesn’t need “another job.” Indeed, we were told that was the whole point of this contract. It was meant to be his last contract, the one that would take him to the end of his career and guarantee him outrageous riches to the end.

He ain’t letting UK out of that deal without making us pay an enormous financial price.

Reactions: catben
Matt bangs on Cal with valid points for the first 10-15 minutes and then someone calls in and says “we need a new coach” and Matt says “guys guys guys, that’s not going to happen” with spite in his voice. Okay, what do you want to talk about?
I know it frustrates people when he says this, but to call for a new coach on the biggest radio platform in the state is a giant leap. You have to be careful.

Not sure if anyone listened to the post game show last night. But Matt did say that for the first time he question if Cal was still the right guy for the job.

I think we miss the tourney this year and you will hear Matt and the KSR crew talking about a new head coaching chapter.

1. You are dead wrong....the contract details are below. He is owed thru 2029 season. There no buyouts that anyone can quote as contractual. So even after this season on the hook for 6 more years at $8.6M (that is $52M after this season). And the $1M automatic lifetime kicker kicks in after year 6.
2. So any buyouts are pure speculation....and it might happen. But nobody knows what it would ever look like.
3. This ain't a Tubby situation....I don't see another team gifting us luck to get him off our hands like we did with Tubby.
4. Mitch is a politician....he should be fired period for this contract. Hell to read it sickens me even further with all the "free car, free country club membership, etc..." on top of it all. The man has made $100M at UK alone...who needs UK to also pay for amenities. It's just sickening the whole lot of it all.

Thanks to UCLA basketball’s bumbling attempts to hit a home run with its head coach hire, Kentucky coach John Calipari was able to negotiate what was reported as a “lifetime” contract to stay in Lexington earlier this year.

With its announcement of the deal, Kentucky explained just what that meant on Thursday. The quick summary: Calipari is going to be receiving massive checks as both an active and former coach.

John Calipari’s $86 million contract

As was reported when word of the deal first got out, Calipari’s “lifetime” deal is actually a 10-year deal with a guarantee of a cushy athletic department job once the currently 60-year-old coach decides to hang up his whistle.

Per Kentucky, the total deal is valued at $86 million, with a base salary of $400,000 and total compensation starting at $8 million and eventually reaching $9 million. That might actually be a step down in pay for Calipari given that USA Today has him currently making nearly $9.3 million per year, but the value of the deal goes beyond cash.

Starting with the sixth year of the contract, Calipari has the option to step down as coach and become “special assistant to the athletics director/university representative,” a title that receives $950,000 per year.

Calipari’s contract has plenty of perks

In addition to your standard insurance and vacation benefits, Calipari will also receive the use two “late-model, quality automobiles,” membership and paid dues for a local country club and 20 free “prime, lower-level” tickets at every basketball game, home or away.

HOUSTON, TEXAS - APRIL 03:  Head coach John Calipari of the Kentucky Wildcats reacts during the 2016 Naismith Awards Brunch at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts on April 3, 2016 in Houston, Texas.  (Photo by Tim Bradbury/Getty Images)

John Calipari's contract includes a plan for his retirement from coaching. (Photo by Tim Bradbury/Getty Images)
The only monetary incentive found in Calipari’s contract is a $50,000 bonus if his team posts an Academic Progress Rate above 975, which has been accomplished every year since 2013.

In the buyout department, Calipari continues to not have one. However, there is an interesting provision that Calipari must inform the athletic director if he is ever approached about a possible job. So if a school, or NBA team, wants Calipari, it simply needs to convince him to leave a storied program that knows about the discussions, pays him nearly $10 million and treats him like a king.

I stated in another thread a couple of weeks ago
This is NOT about the money for Calipari ..it never really has been.
It’s ego, control, power and most of all pride
Calipari is a narcissist. And as such he won’t be able to face it if he loses all the adoration (note I did not say respect) of the masses
Right now there are just enough people who still practically worship him to make him think we think he cannot be wrong
He will never think he’s wrong..but the perception of what everyone else thinks is crucial

So forget about the $$$ aspect…that not the real problem here

He can’t stay in Lexington at this point. If something doesn’t change fast he’s gone. Even if he didn’t want to settle he’ll have to.

Calipari doesn’t need all of that cash. He’s going to walk with a shit load regardless.
And keep stirring shit after gone

with his performance over the last 3 seasons, he'd be let go after this season without question if that contract wasn't an issue.

as fans we need to push people to stop going to games - season ticket holders should be willing to take the hit to send a message. I know they don't want to waste money but an empty rupp means Cal is gone

Might stroke out how is your throat by the way morg ?

You're delusional as hell. Everybody doesn't want Cal out. You can't even prove most fans want him out. The people in power at UK don't care 2 cents about what you think or say.
I have been ambivalent about keeping Cal until last night . time Has passed him by.
regardless of the contract MB should sit him down and simply say we can’t buy you out but we do not want you here anymore . Let’s work together to find you another job. Just like he did Tubby .
Recruiter? Appraiser of talent ? x and o coach?
he only has two UK caliber players on the team . Hasnt had a point guard in several years . Doesn’t play modern basketball. He really needs to do the right thing for his legacy and go out with class.

Reactions: 24Cut-Nets
Staying at Kentucky when everyone wants you out is more misery than any coach can put up with. He will settle I am sure of it.
I am confident his wife and kids would like to see him out of this, I bet they are wanting it as bad as we are.

1. You are dead wrong....the contract details are below. He is owed thru 2029 season. There no buyouts that anyone can quote as contractual. So even after this season on the hook for 6 more years at $8.6M (that is $52M after this season). And the $1M automatic lifetime kicker kicks in after year 6.
2. So any buyouts are pure speculation....and it might happen. But nobody knows what it would ever look like.
Wrong. The contract absolutely does have a buyout provision. The amount is $46 million if we were to fire him at the end of this season ..which is plainly more than we can afford to pay.

If we wait until the end of next season (ie. 2024), it would drop to $40 million … which would still be far more than any buyout ever paid in college sports history. In short, it’s quite a messy situation that contract has put us in.

Wrong. The contract absolutely does have a buyout provision. The amount is $46 million if we were to fire him at the end of this season ..which is plainly more than we can afford to pay.

If we wait until the end of next season (ie. 2024), it would drop to $40 million … which would still be far more than any buyout ever paid in college sports history. In short, it’s quite a messy situation that contract has put us in.
Where do you read that language? And a buyout of a $52M contract down to $46M ain't much of a buyout provision.

I have been ambivalent about keeping Cal until last night . time Has passed him by.
regardless of the contract MB should sit him down and simply say we can’t buy you out but we do not want you here anymore . Let’s work together to find you another job. Just like he did Tubby .
Recruiter? Appraiser of talent ? x and o coach?
he only has two UK caliber players on the team . Hasnt had a point guard in several years . Doesn’t play modern basketball. He really needs to do the right thing for his legacy and go out with class.
Mitch found Tubby the Minnesota job?

• Wow
Reactions: Sawnee Cat

The magnitude of the buyout is what makes it equivalent to a lifetime contract. Who is going to pony up $50 million for a buyout?

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT