ADVERTISEMENT

Last two games: 53 assists, 17 turnovers. This is incredible.

Overall Kentucky has a whopping 146 assists in 7 games to go with only 57 turnovers.

per game:
20.86 assists
8.14 turnovers

Only KU, TCU, BYU, UMass, Colorado St, and Arizona average more.

Only Richmod and Houston average less, but they play a lot slower.

I also wanted to add. At it's current pace if Kentucky played 38 games they would set the UK record for assists in a season which is currently held by the 96 Wildcats at 783. UK would finish at 792 this year. A long long long long long long long time to even pay attention to. I was just curious.

Also, at it's current level Kentucky would set the record for least total turnovers in a season(since they started keeping that stat here in 72). The record is held by the 9-16 team at 349. Over 38 games at it's current average thats only 315 turnovers. That's shattering the record. If that were to be 40 games these Cats would still break the record by 17 turnovers in 15 more games. Again, A long long long long long long long time to even pay attention to. I was just curious. That's a lot of "ifs".

Overall Kentucky has a whopping 146 assists in 7 games to go with only 57 turnovers.

per game:
20.86 assists
8.14 turnovers

Only KU, TCU, BYU, UMass, Colorado St, and Arizona average more.

Only Richmod and Houston average less, but they play a lot slower.
I’m honestly surprised anyone averages more, we have to be close to leading assist to turnover ratio, especially at our pace.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add. At it's current pace if Kentucky played 38 games they would set the UK record for assists in a season which is currently held by the 96 Wildcats at 783. UK would finish at 792 this year. A long long long long long long long time to even pay attention to. I was just curious.

Also, at it's current level Kentucky would set the record for least total turnovers in a season(since they started keeping that stat here in 72). The record is held by the 9-16 team at 349. Over 38 games at it's current average thats only 315 turnovers. That's shattering the record. If that were to be 40 games these Cats would still break the record by 17 turnovers in 15 more games. Again, A long long long long long long long time to even pay attention to. I was just curious. That's a lot of "ifs".
It’s insane that this team is even close and above pace to do that. That shows me this is 100% an elite team.

I said before the talent may overcome the coaching

So you give no credit to Calipari for this? Classic.

You do realize a BIG part of coaching is building a roster and a staff, right?

Cal clearly failed at roster development and the staff hirings for several years. He has nailed it this year and building on future.

He also said PRE-GAME that he personally spent 3 days of instruction with team on defensive strategy for Miami. Worked, I think.

Lol whatever you want to think there, champ. I haven't made one post about Wagner tonight, but I count at least 6 posts of yours from tonight talking about Wagner. So who is it that's obsessed with Wagner??

I absolutely love Reed Sheppard and have given him props over and over. He's probably the best player on the team right now- but after a 30 point win, the last thing I am going to do is run to a message board and whine, and sob, and throw a hissy fit because my favorite player didn't start.

I love our ENTIRE team- I don't care which player is better than who, I care that KENTUCKY was better than MIAMI tonight, and that is ALL I have posted about.

But I guess anyone who calls you out for being a shitty poster, you have to pivot to calling them DJ fan boys- last month you were calling people Cal fan-boys- anyone who disagrees with you is a "fanboy" which is just the dumbest thing to post if you aren't a 12 year old girl.

I care that KENTUCKY is better than MIAMI, and I will celebrate any player, any time when they have amazing games.

But you don't seem to feel the same, so it is what it is. But "fans" (trolls) like you are just the worst.

The trolls will continue to troll. Calipari will always be the target one way or another.

Enjoy this team....it is a special group.

What's the 2nd place team for TO's in a season? '20-'21 was obviously shortened...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
My apologies if this has already been posted. I stopped reading this thread when it got to the same posters attacking each other rather than staying on topic.

Assist:Turnover is an amazing 2.56 for the team. That would be good for a great point guard.

That stat and 6 players averaging double digit scoring are 2 things I sure didn't expect this year.

Last edited:
So you give no credit to Calipari for this? Classic.

You do realize a BIG part of coaching is building a roster and a staff, right?

Cal clearly failed at roster development and the staff hirings for several years. He has nailed it this year and building on future.

He also said PRE-GAME that he personally spent 3 days of instruction with team on defensive strategy for Miami. Worked, I think.
Oh he definitely gets credit for building the roster, I agree. I’ve never really doubted his talent for recruiting. The man is a master
I don’t believe he’s that good of a coach though

However I will concede that he’s put together a staff that should put this team in a better position than we’ve been in for years. The question is will his ego allow them to do their jobs when it’s crunch time?

I’ll give Cal credit he’s doing a great job coaching this year. We are playing to our strengths. Have had a great game plan especially with all our big men out. He’s less animated and even sitting down a lot of the game now. We have criticized him to hell and back the past few years, he deserves a little praise for the job he’s done getting new assistants, recruiting at a high level again, and coaching well so far.
I responded to another post about this
And I will concede he’s done better.

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
I responded to another post about this
And I will concede he’s done better.
I understand your frustration and general inability to have total faith in him though. Lots of years of the same thing after 2017. 2018-2019-2020 were good years too but that’s when it really started to show toward that dreadful 9-16.

I understand your frustration and general inability to have total faith in him though. Lots of years of the same thing after 2017. 2018-2019-2020 were good years too but that’s when it really started to show toward that dreadful 9-16.
Thank you for understanding.
I’ll add it started well before the years you mentioned…we saw the warning signs back as early as 2009-2010; but the talent was so incredible and exciting it was easy to miss.
Hindsight is always 20/20

I don't know if the camera man isn't focusing on Cal or what, but he doesn't seem to be screaming and yelling as much as he has in past years.
It's amazing how much more relaxed a coach can be when the players aren't turning the ball over and taking bad shots.

My question, Mike, is how is that poster not currently happy with the direction of the program? After a near 30 point win against the #8 team in the country.

How, minutes after the game finishes, are you not happy with the direction of the program in this very moment? Why is the ONLY thing you run around posting about that you don't like that one player isn't starting.
I don’t think Miami will finish in the top 10. Two guards from their final four team scored in NBA games this week.

I think the pollsters may have overlooked how significant those two guards were. I hope Miami is a legit top ten team, but highly doubt they will be when it’s all said and done.

I think we’ve played the best team we will play all year in Kansas.

It is insane having Reed coming off the bench. You want your best player setting the tone for the game. Reed brings a sense of calmness to the game that isn't present when he is off the floor. There is no way that we blow out Miami if Shep didn't start the second half. Cal would have allowed Miami to go on a 15 point run before bringing Shep off the bench just like he did in the KU game. I know it wasn't a 15 point run in that game but we allowed them back into the game before bringing Shep and Dilly back into the game. The game should never have been close enough at the end for KU to win.
Every post you make is nonsense. Why change something that is working? A player gets comfortable in a role. You don't change things when everything is working. The truth is we need all players playing at a high level to win the championship. It does not matter who starts...only the number of minutes and the players in the right situation to help the team win the game.

So you're suggesting that someone who isn't happy with the direction of the program should just change loyalties. Wouldn't that make them a fairweather fan?
How can you not like the direction of the program currently? Can you enjoy the moment? Can you enjoy this team? I don't think you can.

How can you not like the direction of the program currently? Can you enjoy the moment? Can you enjoy this team? I don't think you can.
You don't even know who you're talking to. Try to observe context next time. I'm not the one complaining. I'm just sick of the "go be a fan somewhere else herp derp" nonsense.

Come on. Even you have to admit Cal has been wildly inconsistent the last 7 years. Yes he can coach, but he has tendencies that have a hold on him and sometimes he can't get out of his own way. So far he seems to be embracing the change and hopefully it stays that way.

And for the record I knew Shep was this good, and I also knew Herro would be as good as he was.
There were many frustrating times in the recent past, no doubt, but many are blamed on Cal that I don’t believe were his fault, while some he absolutely is to blame.

I’m a support of UK first, but believe that Cal is one of the best in the business and we are lucky to have him.

I also thought Shep would be good, but not last night good this early in the season.

Reactions: Seakat311
Oh he definitely gets credit for building the roster, I agree. I’ve never really doubted his talent for recruiting. The man is a master
I don’t believe he’s that good of a coach though

However I will concede that he’s put together a staff that should put this team in a better position than we’ve been in for years. The question is will his ego allow them to do their jobs when it’s crunch time?

Ok, gotcha, makes more sense. I don't necessarily agree with the assertion that he isn't a good x/o's coach.

I would put it this way...I think he actually is really good in general with game plan which I'm sure alot of that comes from assistants (again part of his duties as a coach is to hire staff). I think he is tremendous in player development for the most part. Also, he draws up some pretty clever plays out of timeouts on occasion. Not always...

Where I think he struggles is end of game execution. He definitely likes to take the air out of the ball too early and that's proven problematic in some key situations here and elsewhere. He also is way too animated with officials constantly. It isn't a play here or there, but just non stop. That is a sign of loyalty to players but also, refs have memories, roofers have really good memories 😆.

Have a good day. Thanks for clarifying your post.

Reactions: Bkocats
Ok, gotcha, makes more sense. I don't necessarily agree with the assertion that he isn't a good x/o's coach.

I would put it this way...I think he actually is really good in general with game plan which I'm sure alot of that comes from assistants (again part of his duties as a coach is to hire staff). I think he is tremendous in player development for the most part. Also, he draws up some pretty clever plays out of timeouts on occasion. Not always...

Where I think he struggles is end of game execution. He definitely likes to take the air out of the ball too early and that's proven problematic in some key situations here and elsewhere. He also is way too animated with officials constantly. It isn't a play here or there, but just non stop. That is a sign of loyalty to players but also, refs have memories, roofers have really good memories 😆.

Did we all see what happened when they slowed down 2 plays in a row in the 2nd half? Then magically what happened the next few plays when Dillingham got the ball. :)

I sure hope Cal noticed.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0

Sure
I enjoy discussion such as this
I will add, too, that his substitution patterns are often head scratchers and have been a detriment to team play. I fully believe we’d have been Kansas otherwise

I’m very skeptical of Calipari, and will probably remain so for a long while
But thank you for your comments

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I don’t think Miami will finish in the top 10. Two guards from their final four team scored in NBA games this week.

I think the pollsters may have overlooked how significant those two guards were. I hope Miami is a legit top ten team, but highly doubt they will be when it’s all said and done.

I think we’ve played the best team we will play all year in Kansas.

I understand this take and I agree that we've played the best team we will all season already in KU.

BUT, I disagree about Miami to a point.

I don't know if they will finish Top-10, probably not, but they don't play another ranked team until February 10th.

They only play 3 currently-ranked teams the remainder of the year (UNC twice, Duke once). And 2 of those 3 are at home, and I think they win 2 out of 3 of those because I also think Duke and UNC are overrated and Miami has been really excellent at home in recent years.

I guess what I am saying is I think Miami is setup to win a bunch of games this year- they will probably only finish the year with maybe 6 losses, which will put them in the 3 seed range I am guessing- legit shot to win the ACC.

I don't think they are as good as advertised, but their schedule works out reallyyyy well for that to be a big W for us over a potential 3 or 4 seed in the tournament.

Reactions: storm1507
His history speaks for itself and he has coached plenty of teams with very little talent to success. The haters on this board want to blame him for every single thing that goes wrong and refuse to give credit where credit is due.
I know it ended horribly, but before injuries took their toll the '21-'22 team was shaping up to be one of his best coaching jobs. That team was not incredibly talented and ran Kansas off their own floor.

I will add, too, that his substitution patterns are often head scratchers and have been a detriment to team play. I fully believe we’d have been Kansas otherwise
Part of that was guys needed rest. Cal mentioned in his post game after Kansas guys were subbing themselves out to get a breather. It was the first high profile game for the freshmen at the college level and their conditioning wasn't, and probably still isn't, where it needs to be. That'll resolve itself as the year progresses.

I don't know if the camera man isn't focusing on Cal or what, but he doesn't seem to be screaming and yelling as much as he has in past years.
Not much to scream about with this team. Their early mistakes in these early games are often from trying too hard or just stumbles and bumbles- all correctable. Meanwhile, this team is becoming more and more efficient as we go.

Reactions: LmdCat and Fox2monk
Cal has been sitting down a lot in games this year. He’s definitely not yelling like a mad man, he’s just letting them play. I love that adjustment and o hope it continues. I’ve noticed him up when the team is at the other end to call out plays and make subs. The only time last night he got kinda animated was during their 18-2 run and then when the refs called like 5 fouls in 10 seconds. Totally ridiculous and he had every right to yell then! At least that was to the refs.

Not much to scream about with this team. Their early mistakes in these early games are often from trying too hard or just stumbles and bumbles- all correctable. Meanwhile, this team is becoming more and more efficient as we go.
You can definitely tel that Cal trusts this team already to do what they are supposed to do. We seem to be executing our game-plan every night. Total trust in our excellent guards and wings to do what’s needed now. I think this team really focuses on sharing and executing our offense. They do pretty great on the defensive end, outside some inside scoring problems and rebounding but that’s lack of height/rim protection more than anything. If Bradshaw is as good as advertised, which I don’t see why he wouldn’t be based on the other freshman. We will be amazing and a definite favorite this year.

• Love
Reactions: IL Wildcat
Agreed and I think we’ll see DJ playing off the ball more. But Rob is no slouch running the offense either and he and Reed can both play on and off the ball. They’re almost interchangeable even though they bring a different style. 9 assists to zero turnovers is elite as a playmaker and initiator of offense.
My issue with DJ playing off the ball is that he doesn't shoot well enough, at least not currently.

I'm as big a critic of Calipari as you will find but, I freely admit that hiring Welch has paid HUGE dividends to our offense. Of course, having several supremely talented guards on the roster doesn't hurt either. So, if that means I have to give Calipari credit for a better offense, better players and better chemistry on the court, I'll gladly do that.
At the same time it obviously validates many of the criticisms we "Cal haters" have been saying for the last 3 seasons.
And I'll add this as well, while last nights' performance was outstanding, I want to see what this team does and how it is coached in a very hostile SEC road environment. Will Calipari try to slow this team down and take the air out with a 12 point lead and 5 minutes left to play? This team doesn't EVER need to be slowed down. But, Calipari is who he is. He's done that his whole career and it has cost him a couple of Titles.
Until that game comes, let's wait, watch some amazing players and hope Calipari truly has changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT