ADVERTISEMENT

Last two games: 53 assists, 17 turnovers. This is incredible.

That's a fair complaint, but man I am tired of the negativity, Mike. It's the same 10 or 15 posters, over and over, running from thread to thread and just bitching and moaning. It's soooo tiresome.
Since you know exactly who those posters are, put them on ignore. No, you would rather try to control what they post which isn't going to happen.

It seems that I have really hit a sore spot. Since you claim that I called someone a Cal fan-boy just a month ago, it should be very easy for you to provide proof of that. Put up or shut up.

Ask and you shall receive. Get wrecked. Should you just self-ban at this point? This is a pretty big demolishing you are receiving in this thread. But yeah, you'll try to spin this like you didn't actually say these things or something- but you'll go on ignore now so I won't have to see you anymore, but just know that the majority of the fanbase is HAPPY and CELEBRATING this win, unless you are LMDCat and want to be miserable. We could win the natty this year and you would still complain.

There is no good fit for Cal and his groupies.

Cal's groupies have no shortage of dumb ideas.

While you are looking at Cal, his groupies are making excuses for him.

Ask and you shall receive. Get wrecked. Should you just self-ban at this point? This is a pretty big demolishing you are receiving in this thread. But yeah, you'll try to spin this like you didn't actually say these things or something- but you'll go on ignore now so I won't have to see you anymore, but just know that the majority of the fanbase is HAPPY and CELEBRATING this win, unless you are LMDCat and want to be miserable. We could win the natty this year and you would still complain.
Not a one of your examples had Cal fan-boy in it. The examples that you did pull came from May 2023 and 2022 which are considerable longer than last month.

Last edited:
If you don't like my posts, stop reading them because there will be more to come.
How does anyone know they don’t like them until they read them? It’s literally impossible.

And also we’re not stretched tight as a drum. Just inaccurate.

Since Wagner plays for the University of Kentucky, wouldn’t that make him UKs boy?
You are correct.

I really think DJ can be a very good player for UK if he learns to play like the team did in the second half of tonight's game. Some of these guys feel like they need to do great things every minute they are on the court to get the attention of the NBA. That isn't the case. Each of these guys only have to go out and play good team ball. Players like DJ have been tracked by the NBA for years and the NBA is fully aware of what they can do and their potential to get even better.

You are correct.

I really think DJ can be a very good player for UK if he learns to play like the team did in the second half of tonight's game. Some of these guys feel like they need to do great things every minute they are on the court to get the attention of the NBA. That isn't the case. Each of these guys only have to go out and play good team ball. Players like DJ have been tracked by the NBA for years and the NBA is fully aware of what they can do and their potential to get even better.
I think it’s more that people are willing to be patient with DJ. Dude has turned a corner the last three games IMO.

When DJ gets the step on his defender and hits that crease he is deadly. Just adjusting to the size and physicality of D1 ball. He’s made the adjustment quickly.

If his jumper starts falling things are going to get ridiculous.

I think it’s more that people are willing to be patient with DJ. Dude has turned a corner the last three games IMO.

When DJ gets the step on his defender and hits that crease he is deadly. Just adjusting to the size and physicality of D1 ball. He’s made the adjustment quickly.

If his jumper starts falling things are going to get ridiculous.
Shep and Dilly have no more experience at this level than DJ. The difference is that Dilly nor Shep forces their game which is reflected by Dilly not recording a single turnover tonight. The transition hasn't been any less for the other freshmen than for DJ. The difference is how they are managing their transitions. You are correct about his jumper; however, until that jumper starts falling on a regular basis he needs to decrease the number of shots. The game isn't the place to learn how to shoot. If each player maximizes their best skill set, it is only a win-win for all. If players decide to play outside of their best attributes, it hurts the team. At the college level, the focus is supposed to be on the team and not on the individual. The thing that upsets me and others is when it appears that Cal is willing to sacrifice team success for individual success.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Shep and Dilly have no more experience at this level than DJ. The difference is that Dilly nor Shep forces their game which is reflected by Dilly not recording a single turnover tonight. The transition hasn't been any less for the other freshmen than for DJ. The difference is how they are managing their transitions.
We’re 7 games in. IMO DJ is transitioning at a great pace. The last three games he has been a huge net positive both offensively and defensively. I don’t disagree that he was forcing things early but don’t you think he’s improving rapidly at this point?

We’re 7 games in. IMO DJ is transitioning at a great pace. The last three games he has been a huge net positive both offensively and defensively. I don’t disagree that he was forcing things early but don’t you think he’s improving rapidly at this point?
What is wrong with a system that rewards players for what they do as opposed to what you think they might be able to do?

Yes, I agree that if his last two games are reflective of the player that he has become it is a very good sign. However, if there is someone consistently playing better than he is, that player should be starting until DJ is able to earn that starting spot on the court during games. Currently, there are 2 guards on the bench who are easily outperforming DJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
So the game plan to run all Miami’s shooters off the 3 point line was the players idea?

Funny how the Cal haters want to blame him for losses but can’t give him credit when he puts together a team and a game plan and takes it to a legit, experienced team….
That's fair but Cal also admitted he couldn't play this way with last year's team, it's about the players on the roster being able to implement the game plan. I'm like, well aren't you the one who assembled it? So isn't it your fault then?

Reactions: NociHTTP
That's fair but Cal also admitted he couldn't play this way with last year's team, it's about the players on the roster being able to implement the game plan. I'm like, well aren't you the one who assembled it? So isn't it your fault then?
Not all recruits pan out like we expect. Who thought Reed would come in and be dropping 20+ the 6th game of the season against a top 10 team?

He game planned perfectly tonight and ran Miami out of the gym without Wagner in the second half and without a single big man. He deserves some of the praise for tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, Cal has his faults, but the people on this board that say he can’t coach is laughable. His history speaks for itself and he has coached plenty of teams with very little talent to success. The haters on this board want to blame him for every single thing that goes wrong and refuse to give credit where credit is due.

I guess crow tastes like crap.

Agreed. And he's the one who assembled this team too, so he gets credit right?

Reactions: Slowwalker
What is wrong with a system that rewards players for what they do as opposed to what you think they might be able to do?
Sorry this doesn’t even make sense. DJ has as much potential as anyone on this team and he’s getting minutes that are 100% aligned with what he’s actually produced on the court. No one is getting shorted minutes on this team.

And if you’re seriously asking what is wrong with this system, then my cordial answer to you is there is nothing at all wrong with the system this team is playing. They are playing at a high level seven games in with a ridiculous assist rate and incredibly low turnovers with spacing and effort and balance and skill and shooting. And they don’t even have their full complement of players yet.

Sorry this doesn’t even make sense. DJ has as much potential as anyone on this team and he’s getting minutes that are 100% aligned with what he’s actually produced on the court. No one is getting shorted minutes on this team.

And if you’re seriously asking what is wrong with this system, then my cordial answer to you is there is nothing at all wrong with the system this team is playing. They are playing at a high level seven games in with a ridiculous assist rate and incredibly low turnovers with spacing and effort and balance and skill and shooting. And they don’t even have their full complement of players yet.
I am not talking about potential because there are plenty players who never live up to their potential. Are you suggesting over the past 7 games, DJ has out played Shep?

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I am not talking about potential because there are plenty players who never live up to their potential. Are you suggesting over the past 7 games, DJ has out played Shep?
No I’m suggesting that both are playing well and earning the appropriate minutes. No one is getting slighted.

Reactions: University-6
Not all recruits pan out like we expect. Who thought Reed would come in and be dropping 20+ the 6th game of the season against a top 10 team?

He game planned perfectly tonight and ran Miami out of the gym without Wagner in the second half and without a single big man. He deserves some of the praise for tonight.

Don’t get me wrong, Cal has his faults, but the people on this board that say he can’t coach is laughable. His history speaks for itself and he has coached plenty of teams with very little talent to success. The haters on this board want to blame him for every single thing that goes wrong and refuse to give credit where credit is due.

I guess crow tastes like crap.
Come on. Even you have to admit Cal has been wildly inconsistent the last 7 years. Yes he can coach, but he has tendencies that have a hold on him and sometimes he can't get out of his own way. So far he seems to be embracing the change and hopefully it stays that way.

And for the record I knew Shep was this good, and I also knew Herro would be as good as he was.

No I’m suggesting that both are playing well and earning the appropriate minutes. No one is getting slighted.
Ok, we will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. There is not a doubt in my mind that this team would be undefeated if the best available players were able to finish the KU game. I am sure that you won't agree with me so this is a good stopping point to agree to disagree.

And let me be clear. IMO our two best PGs are Reed and Rob. But our entire backcourt is deadly and DJ Wagner is a huge part of that. I don’t care if he plays off the ball or not. All four guards are playing at a high level and to be our best we need all four to continue to improve. They all need minutes seven games into the season to maximize our potential.

Ok, we will simply have to agree to disagree on this one. There is not a doubt in my mind that this team would be undefeated if the best available players were able to finish the KU game. I am sure that you won't agree with me so this is a good stopping point to agree to disagree.
It’s obvious as hell. Reed completely flipped the game from around 5 minute mark in first half, then started second half and we blew their fvcking doors off.

I’m not even sure we’re disagreeing that much but maybe I’m wrong. All I’m saying is DJ is a key component of this backcourt and they all are playing at a high level. I hope his injury is minor because this team is only going to get better.

And let me be clear. IMO our two best PGs are Reed and Rob. But our entire backcourt is deadly and DJ Wagner is a huge part of that. I don’t care if he plays off the ball or not. All four guards are playing at a high level and to be our best we need all four to continue to improve. They all need minutes seven games into the season to maximize our potential.
Look, I enjoyed the dialog. I might seem like a butt at times but it is mostly because I am returning the crap that gets shoveled on me. It seems that we do agree about Rob and Shep and that is the main point that I was trying to make.

It’s obvious as hell. Reed completely flipped the game from around 5 minute mark in first half, then started second half and we blew their fvcking doors off.
No arguments from me that Reed is a difference maker. But we need Reed, Rob, DJ, and Reeves all four playing at a high level to fully reach our potential. I don’t think it makes much difference what position they’re labeled.

I’m not even sure we’re disagreeing that much but maybe I’m wrong. All I’m saying is DJ is a key component of this backcourt and they all are playing at a high level. I hope his injury is minor because this team is only going to get better.
After reading your previous post, we are not disagreeing that much. Great conversation. I am about to call it a night. I be here again on Saturday.

Reactions: travisbickle
Look, I enjoyed the dialog. I might seem like a butt at times but it is mostly because I am returning the crap that gets shoveled on me. It seems that we do agree about Rob and Shep and that is the main point that I was trying to make.
I hear you brother and I’m having the most fun I’ve had in about 8 years with UK basketball and I hope you are too!

No arguments from me that Reed is a difference maker. But we need Reed, Rob, DJ, and Reeves all four playing at a high level to fully reach our potential. I don’t think it makes much difference what position they’re labeled.
It matters who is running the offense. We are unquestionably better with Reed running point. Night and day difference.

It matters who is running the offense. We are unquestionably better with Reed running point. Night and day difference.
Agreed and I think we’ll see DJ playing off the ball more. But Rob is no slouch running the offense either and he and Reed can both play on and off the ball. They’re almost interchangeable even though they bring a different style. 9 assists to zero turnovers is elite as a playmaker and initiator of offense.

John Welch + elite guards + Ulis + Cal finally relenting a bit = we might just go deep in March/April.

We have the pieces, gentlemen.
Yes we do, we just need post defense and some extra rebounding help. We have the passers, we value the ball, We shoot the hell outta the ball, and shoot FT’s well. We can definitely score with anyone. We finally have a potent offense that is needed to win in March.

Last edited:
I hate the weeknight games as I don't get to watch them unless I'm off work but I listen to them. Rupp was rocking tonight. This team has "it". The chemistry is off the charts. Outside of those Pitino teams, this one may be my favorite. I love it when the guys are having fun and playing loose. I knew we had something special going but I didn't think we could smoke a veteran team this early in the season considering we are short handed. I can't wait to watch the replay.

I agree that Reed and DJ make the offense move a lot better. I think as the year goes on we will see them lead most times. DJ gives us another look and driver to the rim. All he has to do is take open 3’s when he gets them, he will get a lot of easy looks on this team. We have a tremendous back court. You can tell how much fun this team has together. They feel like old Calipari teams. Like Wall, AD, KAT, Fox/Monk, type teams who have fun and look joyful playing.

Last edited:
I said before the talent may overcome the coaching
I’ll give Cal credit he’s doing a great job coaching this year. We are playing to our strengths. Have had a great game plan especially with all our big men out. He’s less animated and even sitting down a lot of the game now. We have criticized him to hell and back the past few years, he deserves a little praise for the job he’s done getting new assistants, recruiting at a high level again, and coaching well so far.

It’s been really nice seeing Wall at games a lot recently. He would be fantastic to have around the program. I hope Boogie and all the other older guys who don’t play anymore come around. I want to see a new generation of guys like Kenny Walker, and Dan Issel who are always around every season. I want Tayshaun, Chuck Hayes, Rondo, Sparks, type guys come around again too. Let’s let recruits always see all our legends so they can tell them about their time and pro careers. How UK can prepare them for the success they want in their careers.

Last edited:
I really think this team runs lead guards simultaneously. Both Reed and Dilly can lead this offense and generate it as well as the other. That's a very beautiful gift for a team. And then you have a facilitator like DJ. Would the bigs be okay with a first-half offense that just wears out the opponent, and then shift to punching it into the paint to manage clock with a 20 point lead?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT