ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP Lanier to UT

lol the mental gymnastics from the crew who are doing any and everything to minimize expectations while also propping up a squad that would be questionable at best in past years is hilarious.

It wasn’t a miss and he isn’t a great player - while also pumping our roster full of players that are ALL ranked lower. Soo many more fans are donating to nil … we don’t have the nil that loaded teams have. Lmao it’s just hilarious.

Mark Pope needs to get a big win. Not just for this year. But for going forward. Need that monkey off his back.

Well, you can't get them all. According to ESPN, Lanier signed with UT.
Funny thing is UT is talking like he is Dalton Kenect and they have a championship team. Remember this is a team that had the best player in college basketball last year and didn’t make and final 4 and never have and won’t with Barnes. This kid played in arguably one of the weakest one bid conferences in America is from Nashville and was always going to UT but wanted attention from the greatest basketball program of all time. He chose a football school that has never won anything but a fluke football championship in 98. He would have been nice addition but not a program changer. In my opinion not as good as Perry. I like this team and Pope isn’t done.

lol the mental gymnastics from the crew who are doing any and everything to minimize expectations while also propping up a squad that would be questionable at best in past years is hilarious.

It wasn’t a miss and he isn’t a great player - while also pumping our roster full of players that are ALL ranked lower. Soo many more fans are donating to nil … we don’t have the nil that loaded teams have. Lmao it’s just hilarious.

Mark Pope needs to get a big win. Not just for this year. But for going forward. Need that monkey off his back.
How is it mental gymnastics, we are just giving him time and not being overly critical of him this early into his coaching tenure

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
You realize we have a guy from Drexel as our starting center?
Yes I do and he's an all conference defensive player as well. We also have Garrison who I expect to really improve under Pope.
We also have players from FDU, Dayton, Wake Forest, West Virginia, San Diego State. Oklahoma State and hopefully from BYU and Miami-Fl.
Not to mention 3 high school players with one of those just completing a 2 year mission.

He would have had all the minutes he wanted here.
We already had 225 minutes per game on the roster. Lanier played 33.4 last year.
That would be 258.4 minutes per game.
There are only 200 per game, with 120 for the PG/SG/SF spots. Tennessee features individual players more than Pope historically has.
Everyone on this team will have to make sacrifices for the good of the team, especially the three (3) Freshmen coming in.
KY will have the same minutes allocation issue, if we sign Robinson. It will be very interesting to see how minutes are distributed throughout the year, especially the 5th-year players who are used to logging major clock. GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
If true, let’s be honest about where we are and it’s not good.

Why TF would anyone go to UT over UK simply blows my mind. They might as well go to Upike
So a kid from Tennessee, going to Tennessee over Kentucky is unheard of at this point? A kid going to a team that has had a coach for a while and not a team with a coach for 2 months and with 6 guards already there is a miss. A guy that when he went to the portal already had a team in mind (tennessee from day 1) and not going to kentucky is blowing a mind. Heck a mind is a terrible thing.

Reactions: BarefootBeach
If true, let’s be honest about where we are and it’s not good.

Why TF would anyone go to UT over UK simply blows my mind. They might as well go to Upike
Because he will get TWICE as many shot attempts for the Vols as compared to what he would get at UK. He just used UK to get MORE money from the Vols. Knecht getting as many shots as he wanted last season was proof positive for Lanier.

Hope we can get Robinson. Not that high on Poplar. Would love to get Wells, but looks like he is staying in the draft.

Because he will get TWICE as many shot attempts for the Vols as compared to what he would get at UK. He just used UK to get MORE money from the Vols. Knecht getting as many shots as he wanted last season was proof positive for Lanier.

Hope we can get Robinson. Not that high on Poplar. Would love to get Wells, but looks like he is staying in the draft.
If we miss on all 3 next season might get a little rough.

Reactions: catben
Oweh is a better player than Lanier.
We don't know how good anyone is going to be next year. Oweh is probably the better defender but Lanier is a better shooter/scorer. Of course everything is just speculation until we see the product on the court. There is a lot of pressure when you put on that Kentucky uniform. Some players rise to the occasion and are even better because of that. However some players do not meet the expectations of fans and that jersey. Reed Sheppard elevated his game beyond expectations and Justin Edwards was really the opposite. Edwards wasn't bad but he was nowhere the level of player we thought he would be including the experts.

No surprise … he knows he wouldn’t get the minutes here that he will get at Tenn.
cbcd301e-125d-4796-b98f-50f11aa757d1fox-and-grapes-1.700xauto.webp

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Funny thing is UT is talking like he is Dalton Kenect and they have a championship team. Remember this is a team that had the best player in college basketball last year and didn’t make and final 4 and never have and won’t with Barnes. This kid played in arguably one of the weakest one bid conferences in America is from Nashville and was always going to UT but wanted attention from the greatest basketball program of all time. He chose a football school that has never won anything but a fluke football championship in 98. He would have been nice addition but not a program changer. In my opinion not as good as Perry. I like this team and Pope isn’t done.
Reading their boards I don't get the impression that they think he is going to be another Dalton Knecht. They never thought Knecht was going to do what he did last year before the season started. They got lucky and I just don't think they are going to catch lightning in the bottle again like that with Lanier. He may indeed be a solid player but they would be delusional to expect that from him. It wouldn't be fair to put those expectations on any player. That's how good Knecht was last year.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don’t know about that.
I'll admit I dont know what to make of Lanier. He absolutely sucked until his senior season. He played in a terrible conference, as well. But his metrics were off the charts last season. Like you flipped a light switch. It will be very interesting to see how he adapts to the SEC. I do think it's funny that the fans that are shitting all over our guys that have played in real conferences think Lanier is going to come in and be the second coming of Jordan. We'll see.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is what we have to remember when it comes to a well-coached team.
Not so sure what is funny to RunninRichie but I guess humor is in the eyes of the beholder.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Could be a big miss. Might not be a miss at all. Probably somewhere in the middle depending on who we fill the roster out with. Time will tell.

As for Lanier on the court. He's had 1 season of quality production with 3 seasons of nothing worthy of mentioning with maybe the exception of his 3pt shooting which he did shoot 39% the year before but only on 69 attempts.

In 5 games against P5 conferences last season he played 135 minutes, shot 26 of 56 from the field including 16 of 38 from 3. Those games were against Iowa, FSU, Miami Fla, LSU, and UGA. Not exactly the creme de la creme of the P5.

Let's not pretend that the Atlantic Sun is anywhere near the same level of basketball as the Mountain West. There is a significant gap in the overall talent of the two conferences.

NET conference rankings

- Mountain West 7th
-Atlantic Sun 26th

Would have been a great luxury though. That would have given us even more 3pt shooting if his last 2 seasons from out there aren't a fluke(around 300 attempts or so).

Could be a big miss. Might not be a miss at all. Probably somewhere in the middle depending on who we fill the roster out with. Time will tell.

As for Lanier. He's had 1 season of quality production with 3 seasons of nothing worthy of mentioning with maybe the exception of his 3pt shooting which he did shoot 39% the year before but only on 69 attempts.

In 5 games against P5 conferences last season he played 135 minutes, shot 26 of 56 from the field including 16 of 38 from 3. Those games were against Iowa, FSU, Miami Fla, LSU, and UGA. Not exactly the creme de la creme of the P5.

Let's not pretend that the Atlantic Sun is anywhere near the same level of basketball as the Mountain West. There is a significant gap in the overall talent of the two conferences.

NET conference rankings

- Mountain West 7th
-Atlantic Sun 26th

Would have been a great luxury though. That would have given us even more 3pt shooting if his last 2 seasons from out there aren't a fluke(around 300 attempts or so.
But our guy from Drexel will be a stud of course.

It is not a huge miss. When this began UK wasn’t even in the running for him. Go watch his games and ask yourself, he’s not that great at all. I think he’ll be fairly average at UT. Seems like an okay guard but doesn’t do anything spectacular. I’m not sure his game will translate as much as people think into this league. This is not a situation like Dalton where you could clearly see he’s the real deal.

Robinson is who we really need to get and always has been. And the poster with multiple accounts continuing to post the same crap spread across all of the accounts doesn’t change it.

It is not a huge miss. When this began UK wasn’t even in the running for him. Go watch his games and ask yourself, he’s not that great at all. I think he’ll be fairly average at UT. Seems like an okay guard but doesn’t do anything spectacular. I’m not sure his game will translate as much as people think into this league. This is not a situation like Dalton where you could clearly see he’s the real deal.

Robinson is who we really need to get and always has been. And the poster with multiple accounts continuing to post the same crap spread across all of the accounts doesn’t change it.
Killswitch24, let's show some class. If we had gotten Lanier you would be declaring him a first team All-American. Let it go, Lanier is probably a pretty good player and he made a decision that he is going to play in Knoxville. For us as a fan base to start sour graping because he chose orange over blue is just classless. I could care less if he plays great if he does not play great against KY. I actually do not believe he made a dollar decision but made a home state decision. I actually would never hold that against a kid. When we get two more kids, we can wait until November to see how good, bad, or average we are. Right now NOBODY actually has clue how good or bad we will be. Please remember we MUST give Coach Pope two, maybe three years to totally get the kids he likes, needs, and wants to match his coaching style. We are spoiled by having a squad of 5 stars, but we also have learned freshmen 5 stars can't beat a season squad that plays as a TEAM. I think Pope will in time put a TEAM on the floor. In 2024 he will put a squad on the floor hoping to become a team.

Cool, let’s get Robinson.

Lanier is a good player, don’t get me wrong. But we have more guard power than forward/versatile pieces so Robinson is the better fit as a scorer and Swiss Army knife if it’s one or the other
For me, all things being equal just two players in the portal I would’ve preferred Lanier. But given that Robinson played for Pope last season, and we’re a little thinner at the 3 than guard, and I think it’s harder to find high level wing play, I think Robinson is the better get for our particular situation. And for the record I was saying this before Lanier committed! Of course my first choice would’ve been get them both, but that was always a long shot.

The played-for-Pope part is especially important to me since no one else from
BYU ended up at UK. I think having at least one non-coach on the roster to help the other players learn the system will be very valuable.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT