ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of Defense

This is one of the reasons I'd like to see UGO getting some minutes. He blocks shots and could be pretty serviceable by March.

A big part of that change would seem to be rim protection — or its lack. Calipari’s first seven Kentucky teams all blocked more than 200 shots. None of his six-most recent teams has blocked more than 176 shots. So whatever one thinks of the need for Calipari to modernize his offensive approach, the numbers suggest that the decline in Kentucky basketball’s fortunes in the second half of the coach’s UK tenure is largely a result of slippage on the defensive end.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article270799987.html#storylink=cpy

We need Daimion Collins. He has the length and mobility and shot blocking to make a difference. He's behind this year because of the unfortunate passing of his father. If Cal can get him going we'd be a much better defensive team.
Oscar needs to play better defense when he is at the foul line or closer to 3 point line. Missouri and LSU games had Oscar’s man make 5 and 4 3 pointers each.

This is one of the reasons I'd like to see UGO getting some minutes. He blocks shots and could be pretty serviceable by March.

A big part of that change would seem to be rim protection — or its lack. Calipari’s first seven Kentucky teams all blocked more than 200 shots. None of his six-most recent teams has blocked more than 176 shots. So whatever one thinks of the need for Calipari to modernize his offensive approach, the numbers suggest that the decline in Kentucky basketball’s fortunes in the second half of the coach’s UK tenure is largely a result of slippage on the defensive end.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article270799987.html#storylink=cpy
I've been saying that for months, Cal's best teams have a rim protector. This year is the 2nd lowest (last year was the worst) in BLK/gm of any UK-Cal team. In chronological order the blk/gm has been 7.1, 6.3, 8.6, 6.6, 5.8, 6.8, 5.8, 5.2, 4.8, 4.8, 4.9, 5.9, 4.2, 4.4. Now a little of that may be that teams are shooting more 3's than they were 10 years ago which would lead to slightly fewer blocked shots. But since Towns in 2015, we've had only 2 guys average 1.7+ blk/gm in a season, Richards and Jackson. But from 10-15, we had 8 guys, Jones (twice), Davis, Noel, WCS (3 times), and Towns average 1.7+ blk/gm.
This doesn't mean I want Onyenso in for 30 mintues. He is too raw for that, but play him some, let him learn and grow, 5min then 8min then 12min maybe even up to 15min by tournament time. In just 12mpg, I bet he would blk close to that 1.7 mark per game (in 6.6min he has 1.07, but mostly vs cupcakes, but think he had a few vs MSU).

A lot of NBA teams have statistical analysis (analytics) guys. Hell the university has a Statistics department. Cal could use one of those Statistics TA's for some analytics help. I know when I was there (in UK Stats dept) a number of us would have thought we died and gone to heaven for Pitino to have asked us to help in that role.

Last edited:
I have stated more than once that this team will go as far as the defense takes them. Selling out on defense takes a lot of effort, endurance and stamina and definately helps the offense, usually run out off turnovers. This team is really weak on pic & rolls, high post and staying in front of their man, especially with mobile big men taking their man away from the post area. IMO This team isn't one of the better basketball IQ teams Cal's had. Collins seemed to play much better against LSU, hope it continues, we really need him to step it up.

I've been wondering about the defense while everybody else has been screaming about the offense. UK is just giving up too high a shooting percentage. Oscar cleaning up all the ones that miss helps some but we do need to guard a lot better and Cal's best defensive teams could have bad shooting nights and win by 20. At least Jacob started trying to swat a few the last 2 games.

I really don't know the answer, but I doubt it's Collins. I love the potential of Collins but I don't see much of it this year.

I do know the current starters have the potential to be much, much better than they've been so far.

Oscar needs to play better defense when he is at the foul line or closer to 3 point line. Missouri and LSU games had Oscar’s man make 5 and 4 3 pointers each.
It is kind of a mystery why Oscar is so bad guarding on the perimeter, he’s pretty fast for his size and has good length, he has been getting torched by bigs that take him outside, which is another reason Oscar prob won’t make the NBA. Collins seemed like he finally was getting it together last game, that was a good sign.

I've been wondering about the defense while everybody else has been screaming about the offense. UK is just giving up too high a shooting percentage. Oscar cleaning up all the ones that miss helps some but we do need to guard a lot better and Cal's best defensive teams could have bad shooting nights and win by 20. At least Jacob started trying to swat a few the last 2 games.

I really don't know the answer, but I doubt it's Collins. I love the potential of Collins but I don't see much of it this year.

I do know the current starters have the potential to be much, much better than they've been so far.
Wallace is a great defender but LSU was running some really good stuff for Miller and I know on that last three he called for a switch which Cal said was a mistake, but he is learning, Saturday will be a really good test.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wallace is a great defender but LSU was running some really good stuff for Miller and I know on that last three he called for a switch which Cal said was a mistake, but he is learning, Saturday will be a really good test.
I think it may come down to whether Toppin (maybe even Collins) is really engaged in defending Bama's Miller (or just goes through the motions).
Wallace can guard Sears. And Wheeler should do ok w/ Bradley. And I think we win every other matchup.

It is kind of a mystery why Oscar is so bad guarding on the perimeter, he’s pretty fast for his size and has good length, he has been getting torched by bigs that take him outside, which is another reason Oscar prob won’t make the NBA. Collins seemed like he finally was getting it together last game, that was a good sign.
I think much of it is that he is so concerned about getting back to the basket for rebounds.

Can't read the story as I'm not a subscriber. But it's been painfully obvious all year that defense is the problem. This team can't guard. Other than Wallace. Collins did look decent on the perimeter last game. But he's not a perimeter player. Maybe he should be?

I think much of it is that he is so concerned about getting back to the basket for rebounds.
May be true. I mean if I'm another coach, that is why I would have a big that can shoot just stand 21' from the basket, to get Oscar away from (cleaning) the glass. And Oscar knows that is what he is best at, what the team needs most from him.

The fact we have a bunch of superior five-star players that can sometimes score without help does not mean that our offense is okay.

Please reference this post anytime of day or night.

Last edited:
The fact we have a bunch of superior five-star players that can sometimes score without help does not mean that are offense is okay.

Please reference this post anytime of day or night.
Please look at the year over year efficiency ratings. Offensively, the Cats seem to always be in top rankings. Would be even better if 3 point shooting was better.

Defense is the real issue.

We need Daimion Collins. He has the length and mobility and shot blocking to make a difference. He's behind this year because of the unfortunate passing of his father. If Cal can get him going we'd be a much better defensive team.
He gets pushed around way to easily. Good players will go right at Collins and feast at the rim.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You are delusional...yet to demonstrate any basketball skills despite being a 5 star.

While I agree, he just isn’t strong enough. He can’t hold position at all. He gets knocked off anytime he moves on the court.

He’s not getting his hands up. He’s not the only one. Seems all of our guys half ass guarding on the perimeter. Their hands aren’t active.

Alabama is either gonna have an easy time or we play better defense and win at Alabama tomorrow. Our offense is not even good enough to slack on defense. Some teams can, we can't.

I think it may come down to whether Toppin (maybe even Collins) is really engaged in defending Bama's Miller (or just goes through the motions).
Wallace can guard Sears. And Wheeler should do ok w/ Bradley. And I think we win every other matchup.
We need the Toppin of the last 2 games just about every game from here on out. The more he scores the more he negates what Miller will do. We need Savhir to play one of his best games today.

This. Our offense looks like ass.
It’s improved a bunch the last week IMO. If we keep up this kind of improvement we can be really good. Hopefully we figure out a way to get Reeves involved. He’s the one who will take us over the top into being a good team.

It’s improved a bunch the last week IMO. If we keep up this kind of improvement we can be really good. Hopefully we figure out a way to get Reeves involved. He’s the one who will take us over the top into being a good team.
Our 3 point shooting has been lacking in our losses. Stable 3 point shooting is the issue. Got to make the open shots. Can’t blame offensive sets when open shots are bricked

I thought our defense would be better this year, than last. So far, I do not think it has been. That surprises me.

Just my suspicion, but since Tshiebwe puts such a premium on rebounding, he probably doesn’t want to be left way out front when the ball is shot. He likes to control things underneath the basket. He’s very quick once he makes up his mind, but seems to be a lot slower reacting to opponent’s moves. In any case, we’d be totally lost if he weren’t in the court.

Meh not that interested in statistics. Our offense doesn’t pass the eye test. Much of the efficiency numbers are due to the fact we have the best rebounder college basketball has seen, maybe ever.
You are what your stats say you are. Think bill Parcels said that. It is the indicator of results.

My eyeballs tell me and many others differently. Yes, our defense is sorely lacking as well. Our offense isn’t some juggernaut. There’s no flow. Mainly just a bunch of worthless passes and a bunch of iso.
Imagine how good of an offense a team would have with Oscar in a good offense. He's like a collegiate version of a 1980s Moses Malone.

My eyeballs tell me and many others differently. Yes, our defense is sorely lacking as well. Our offense isn’t some juggernaut. There’s no flow. Mainly just a bunch of worthless passes and a bunch of iso.
Look at the offensive efficiency stats. Same offense that beat UNC and Kansas last year with both games away from Rupp. Our defense is the culprit. Our 3 point defense is atrocious and when Oscar is 10 feet from the basket, straight line drives beat us. Oscar finally stayed at home late in the LSU game and drew a charge against their driving guard. Critical defensive play in the game

Can’t blame offensive strategy when players miss open 3 point shots. I think Wallace was 1-5 on open 3 point shots in second half.

Last edited:
Imagine how good of an offense a team would have with Oscar in a good offense. He's like a collegiate version of a 1980s Moses Malone.
Was NPOY in current offense. I can only imagine what kind of success the team would have if our 3 point shooters weren’t so streaky or inconsistent And our defense was a bit better. Oscar cannot be successful with out the other 4 team mates

Last edited:
Look at the offensive efficiency stats. Same offense that beat UNC and Kansas last year with both games away from Rupp. Our defense is the culprit. Our 3 point defense is atrocious and when Oscar is 10 feet from the basket, straight line drives beat us. Oscar finally stayed at home late in the LSU game and drew a charge against their driving guard. Critical defensive play in the game

Can’t blame offensive strategy when players miss open 3 point shots. I think Wallace was 1-5 on open 3 point shots in second half.
I don’t disagree with you on defense. Partly agree with the offense. Problem is a lot of times, we have to work so hard just to get a decent look. If we run better stuff, it makes it much less difficult.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT