ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Tucker: scout on UK players testing the draft

For the last time , he is not good enough to start on a championship caliber team. All he will ever be is a backup , do you think he would have started for Villanova or carolina when they won the championship? You are such a homer you will say yes lol

Green has the potential to lead a team to a championship. People forget the progress players make from one season to the next.

I vividly remember and can name numerous memorable plays from most all players that played more than one season and had a significant impact on the program dating back to the early 80s. When you only see a guy for 40 games or so and he really rarely did anything to stand out from one game to the next... it becomes difficult.
We have different definitions of memorable then.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
Anthony Epps wasn't an elite guard either by most people's metrics, but he was a key piece on a national championship team in 1996 and almost won another in 1997. I am thrilled having Green back for another year! It will be nice not having to depend solely on an incoming frosh to start at PG, the most critical position on the floor. That is a rarity in the Cal era. In fact, Green and Ulis are the only two players I can think of that played significant minutes at PG as freshmen who returned.

memorable, to me, means I can remember it. Recall. Point out games and plays.

Maybe I'm just gifted. Hell, Oscar Combs is the same way and his memory bank goes back decades farther than mine.
My point is I’m not having conversations about players 20 years from now unless they were special. Bring up Darius Miller or Deandre Liggins(recent examples of the type of player I imagine you are referring to) 20 years from now, I’ll have the same reaction you apparently do about the guys you listed. Then we’ll quickly move on to something else. Remembering it and it being relevant or worth remembering are different.

Anthony Epps wasn't an elite guard either by most people's metrics, but he was a key piece on a national championship team in 1996 and almost won another in 1997. I am thrilled having Green back for another year! It will be nice not having to depend solely on an incoming frosh to start at PG, the most critical position on the floor. That is a rarity in the Cal era. In fact, Green and Ulis are the only two players I can think of that played significant minutes at PG as freshmen who returned.
Difference being while Green had a bigger role as a freshman, Ulis still was on another level. There were more rememberable moments than green who played a lot more time. Unfortunately for Green his rememberable moments were his play against Sexton in Sec tournament and his bad shot in the KState game.

memorable, to me, means I can remember it. Recall. Point out games and plays.

Maybe I'm just gifted. Hell, Oscar Combs is the same way and his memory bank goes back decades farther than mine.

A bit of history; when Oscar was the Sports Editor for the Hazard Herald In The early 1960s, I delivered those papers in good old Hazard, Kentucky

Each newspaper cost 10 cents.....

I guess it’s impossible for Quade to have that fabled freshman to sophomore jump
He won’t improve at all, because he won’t
And of course being out for two weeks at the end of the season made no difference at all did it?

No, just write off the kid because we all know he won’t get any better

My priorities would be Vanderbilt and Green. Vanderbilt has the highest ceiling of anybody on the team, but even if he doesn’t improve that much he’s still the best rebounder and defensive player. Green gives you a returning backcourt player. Worst case scenario he’s good depth. My preferred lineup would be Johnson with two other guards. Green ensures we have the depth to do that without having to rely on Baker or Herro.

Prediction the same posters that are excited about green, will give him hard time next year, when they realise I was right the whole time. Not trying to give the kid hard time, he seems like great kid ,just not typical elite cal guard.

If he leaves it shows how scared he is of competition and we are better off without a frightened mangina crying over his minutes. If he stays, man up and lead the team. Either way, we will be fine.

Reactions: wildcatdonf and awf
Agree. All they've heard since they've been playing competitive ball is how good they are and how special they are. Now, they are hearing some reality and it's hard for them to accept that.
The NBA is full of the best of the best and they are grown men. Very few AD's and Cousins that can walk into that and hold their own.

Very good point. AD has had to put on a lot of muscle to get where he is. The kid is an absolute beast. Can't wait to see him and Cousins get back together next year and absolutely tear stuff up.

Very good point. AD has had to put on a lot of muscle to get where he is. The kid is an absolute beast. Can't wait to see him and Cousins get back together next year and absolutely tear stuff up.

Assuming Cuz comes back....free agent and the mavs might through a max contract at him. Hopefully he stays with the Pels.

I guess it’s impossible for Quade to have that fabled freshman to sophomore jump
He won’t improve at all, because he won’t
And of course being out for two weeks at the end of the season made no difference at all did it?

No, just write off the kid because we all know he won’t get any better

AND......in the next post lament about Cal not recruiting 4 year players........

Leaving after a year to be a fringe 2nd round pick when you're projected as a 1st rounder in 2019 is a dumbass move.

As is allowing fans on social media influence a decision worth millions.

Bottom line? If PJ goes this year, he's a dumbass who will only be remembered for being a mediocre freshman who choked at the free throw line. If that's how he wants to be remembered while eating chili dogs on a bus for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, more power to him.
Maybe he'll come to his senses.

I wouldn't begrudge any kid who is going in the first round, as a matter of fact I think it's dumb not to take the money but the second round and a ticket to the G league is not smart.

There is a huge difference in money between the thirteenth pick and the 30th pick. Both are in the first round. They sign three year contracts so multiply the difference by three and that becomes a reason to wait a year and try to move up the ladder if the underlying talent is there.

PJ Washington leaving after one year is gonna put him in that category of “oh yea he did play at UK” with Archie Goodwin, James Young, Hamidou Diablo, and Daniel Orton when fans talk about em 20 years from now.
I agree with your list, but take out Young. He helped us get to the championship game. Insert Skal.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Green is not a elite guard , if we have to depend on him we will never make the final 4. Last 2 champs Villanova and carolina both had elite point guard play. Green is nothing but a role player.
Just wow, why don't you go look up Berry and Brunson's freshman stats and compare them to Green's last year. Green was way better than Berry and on par with Brunson. You're clueless.

Green is not a elite guard , if we have to depend on him we will never make the final 4. Last 2 champs Villanova and carolina both had elite point guard play. Green is nothing but a role player.
Those players were both juniors when they won it all. People are so quick to give up on a freshman in our program these days if they aren't "elite". Here are Green, Brunson and Berry's stats their freshman years:

Green
25.6 mpg
9.3 ppg
2.7 apg
.451 fg%
.376 3pfg%

Brunson
24.0 mpg
9.6 ppg
2.5 apg
.452 fg%
.383 3pfg%

Berry
13.2 mpg
4.2 ppg
1.5 apg
.404 fg%
.354 3pfg%

It's scary how similar Green's stats are to Brunson's at the same time in their career.

Troy McKinnley ring a bell?
How could I forget with that beautiful hair?
I agree with your list, but take out Young. He helped us get to the championship game. Insert Skal.

No, it’s my list. I remember like 3 or 4 plays Young made that year. Labissiere is another but I’ll actually have a deeper memory of him from all the times I spent cussing him through the tv.

Agree that ... it’s a bad thing that we have Quade returning which gives us something we often lack ?(legit experience ) I’m sorry, i can’t agree that it would have been best for Quade to transfer to Lasalle.

What “blue tinted shades?” What does that even mean? He had a very solid freshman season... should we just encourage all our guys who aren’t lottery pics to transfer/ bolt after their freshman year?

Please explain? I’m genuinely intrigued to hear ... (try and ease up on the sexual innuendoes though... it’s awkard )

@mrbud ??

Those players were both juniors when they won it all. People are so quick to give up on a freshman in our program these days if they aren't "elite". Here are Green, Brunson and Berry's stats their freshman years:

Green
25.6 mpg
9.3 ppg
2.7 apg
.451 fg%
.376 3pfg%

Brunson
24.0 mpg
9.6 ppg
2.5 apg
.452 fg%
.383 3pfg%

Berry
13.2 mpg
4.2 ppg
1.5 apg
.404 fg%
.354 3pfg%

It's scary how similar Green's stats are to Brunson's at the same time in their career.

The difference is their potential. Brunson's size and frame is much different than Quade's. He developed into a really physical, imposing guard that offset his quickness with strength, angles, etc. Similar to how Andrew Harrison was effective.

Quade isn't 6'3, 195 like Brunson. His lack of speed and burst doesn't have something to compensate for it. Nor does his lack of height. You usually have to be either big or quick or explosive. He;s none of the three.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT