ADVERTISEMENT

KU "Struggles" Against Mediocre D-2 Team

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
Only winning by 18 against Fort Hays State and got outscored in one of the halfs to a team that finished in the middle of their conference last year.

We won by 23 against a team that would blow out their opponent.

Where are all the takes about how bad Kansas must be this year?

Also, it's increasingly apparent that Kansas has ZERO (NONE) bench production, and really 3 main pieces in HD, Adams and McCuller.

McCuller appears to be their only shooter as well.

The rest of their team combined went 8-28 from the field and only two 3FGs.

In 2 games so far (Illinois and Ft. Hays State)- outside of McCuller, they have made a grand total of THREE 3FGs. Not good at all, folks.

And also in the Illinois game, HD, Adams and McCuller were the only real contributors, with the rest of the team scoring a combined 14 points on 6-17 shooting.

Hard not to feel optimistic about our chances against KU, but we'll see how tomorrow night goes, and the next couple of games.

KU has three advantages, they have a coaching advantage, an experience advantage, and they have the best player on the floor. Kentucky has nobody to guard Dickinson, he will get his and then some. Self also probably isn’t showing everything In these games, I just don’t see Kentucky beating Kansas with only one really front court player

Reactions: Fox2monk
Only winning by 18 against Fort Hays State and got outscored in one of the halfs to a team that finished in the middle of their conference last year.

We won by 23 against a team that would blow out their opponent.

Where are all the takes about how bad Kansas must be this year?

Also, it's increasingly apparent that Kansas has ZERO (NONE) bench production, and really 3 main pieces in HD, Adams and McCuller.

McCuller appears to be their only shooter as well.

The rest of their team combined went 8-28 from the field and only two 3FGs.

In 2 games so far (Illinois and Ft. Hays State)- outside of McCuller, they have made a grand total of THREE 3FGs. Not good at all, folks.

And also in the Illinois game, HD, Adams and McCuller were the only real contributors, with the rest of the team scoring a combined 14 points on 6-17 shooting.

Hard not to feel optimistic about our chances against KU, but we'll see how tomorrow night goes, and the next couple of games.
These games are meaningless...

People are overreacting to your alls exhibition, when in reality you all were just experimenting with lineups and seeing what you had
I watch them to see how frosh look, new kids look. Sure losing would be alarming, I guess. But its not the end of all.

Another thing people do not realize---Just because it says "D2"---NAIA, doesnt mean these teams are terrible....Look, Gtown is a really, really good NAIA team. Very fast---athletic.

Indy, who IU played, went 27-6 last year. #1 seed in D2 tourney. Return everyone; as did Gtown.

Experience means something.

Everyone knows Kentucky is the only school that’s not supposed to struggle against inferior opponents. The other teams are just trying to work on things like substitution patterns and what not.

Reactions: ncaaky
KU has three advantages, they have a coaching advantage, an experience advantage, and they have the best player on the floor. Kentucky has nobody to guard Dickinson, he will get his and then some. Self also probably isn’t showing everything In these games, I just don’t see Kentucky beating Kansas with only one really front court player
They can have all the “advantages” they want but if you don’t have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s, it doesn’t matter. They don’t have nearly the talent they’ve had in recent years. No shooters. McCullar is a mediocre shooter whose game is more of a slasher type. Timberlake looks to be a Cj Fredrick type shooter. All hype. Harris is a set shooter who is more of a mid range, floater type shooter. Cats can beat Kansas.

I understand that @IUfanBorden, but considering everyone on this forum was having a meltdown because we only beat the (probable) NAIA National by 23 (and honestly should have been 30), but then those same fans turn around and say these games are meaningless when talking about other teams.
Its different when its YOUR team.

Kentucky led by one...Won by 23

IU TRAILED Indinapolis , 27-25----won by 22.

Here is thing---Those teams are coming in, to win---On the other hand, UK/IU obviously want to win, but----they are coming in to "get better"---see where they are. Gtown and Indy were coming to Rupp/AH, to shock the world. Those two mentalities lead to lackadasical play..."Close" games---That is until you meet their intensity. And you figue out---"whoa, this team is PLAYIN'. They are ballin'---Well, then talent takes over.

MSU lost one of these a few years back---Then ended up in the FF.

UK will be fine---So will KU.

They can have all the “advantages” they want but if you don’t have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s, it doesn’t matter. They don’t have nearly the talent they’ve had in recent years. No shooters. McCullar is a mediocre shooter whose game is more of a slasher type. Timberlake looks to be a Cj Fredrick type shooter. All hype. Harris is a set shooter who is more of a mid range, floater type shooter. Cats can beat Kansas.
Kansas will be good in games, they are to good & takented to not be good, self almost always finds a way

I’m tired of the talkin ready for the games to begin. This team we have has been hyped for the last year of being “what cal wins with”. Ready to see what we really have. We need to get out the gate strong or end up a 4/5 seed or worse.
Right there with ya, man. Lets get it on....IU with an exh tomorrow. I have a game, so wont be able to watch live; will when I get home.

These exh games for me is nothing more than a gauge---expecially with the newcomers---And them getting to see the guys returning, and how they have improved, or, well, if not.

its hard for Kentucky to "get up" for Gtown. Or IU for Indy...Or KU for Fort Hayes State. But bet your ass when the shit is real?---Yeah we will see a different brand.

I understand that @IUfanBorden, but considering everyone on this forum was having a meltdown because we only beat the (probable) NAIA National by 23 (and honestly should have been 30), but then those same fans turn around and say these games are meaningless when talking about other teams.
We do overreact but that’s what makes Kentucky fans great and bad, we care to much, which is a blessing and a curse. It’s different when it’s your team we say those things because we don’t care about those other teams. Kentucky will be fine, so will Kansas, a very interesting matchup for sure

I watch them to see how frosh look, new kids look. Sure losing would be alarming, I guess. But its not the end of all.

Another thing people do not realize---Just because it says "D2"---NAIA, doesnt mean these teams are terrible....Look, Gtown is a really, really good NAIA team. Very fast---athletic.

Indy, who IU played, went 27-6 last year. #1 seed in D2 tourney. Return everyone; as did Gtown.

Experience means something.
Experience for sure means a lot, also a big thing is having guards who can create without ball screens, Kentucky hasn’t had that in a while, we have 2 on paper that should be able to. And then shooting, you gotta be able to space the floor.

Kansas will be good in games they are to good to not be good, self almost always finds a way
Dude always wins...My goodness, look at 2022. Highest rated recruit was ranked 38th---McCormak. Lost to Dayton...Struggled with North texas...Struggled with SF Austin...Blwon out at home, by........yep----Kentucky.

What was the knock?

No shooters, besides this guy, or maybe this guy...

And well, they won the national championship.

Self never has a bad team

Dude always wins...My goodness, look at 2022. Highest rated recruit was ranked 38th---McCormak. Lost to Dayton...Struggled with North texas...Struggled with SF Austin...Blwon out at home, by........yep----Kentucky.

What was the knock?

No shooters, besides this guy, or maybe this guy...

And well, they won the national championship.

Self never has a bad team
From my memory his worst team was 2019 and they were like a 4 seed, he always finds the right pieces and they always run that conference minus a random year every 5-7 years

Thanks. Idk what the meaning of this post was. Strange.

Read the thread and you'll see.

Posters here (including you) were freaking the f*ck out when we only won a game against a really good team by 23.

But KU beats a worse team by 18, and it's "meaningless"?

Oh and the stuff about them not having a bench or any production outside of their main 3 guys, but maybe that's too analytical for some on here.

Posters here (including you) were freaking the f*ck out when we only won a game against a really good team by 23.

Oh and the stuff about them not having a bench or any production outside of their main 3 guys, but maybe that's too analytical for some on here.

We were almost tied at halftime against Georgetown. We beat them down in the 2nd half. I'd imagine most of the fluff was said in the 1st half. I didn't even get to watch the game live. I did on re-run, and thought we looked fine.

It's a long season. No need for this thread IMO.

We were almost tied at halftime against Georgetown. We beat them down in the 2nd half. I'd imagine most of the fluff was said in the 1st half. I didn't even get to watch the game live. I did on re-run, and thought we looked fine.

It's a long season. No need for this thread IMO.
The only concern I saw was the blocked shots from Kentucky on offense and the lack of bigs will be a problem but other than that plenty of pieces to like on this team

Dropping F bombs and sh*tposting after midnight. What a baby. You should probably get some help, maybe a life. Try to dig the salt out of your red ass. I'm sure you'll switch accounts to your ukcatz12 to white knight for yourself, or maybe cry to the mods.

How do you think we will fare against them when we get our THREE seven footers going?

You forget their biggest advantage. They cheat.

Kansas has some personnel flaws that will be challenging to overcome at times, mainly defensively and shooting. But they will still be formidable. Pump the brakes on their doom for now.

Reactions: westerncat
Kansas has some personnel flaws that will be challenging to overcome at times, mainly defensively and shooting. But they will still be formidable. Pump the brakes on their doom for now.
They might be formidable. However, a consensus top 3/5 team they are not. If they are a top 5 team, college basketball is really down this season.

I'm a little weary making a post like this on the eve of one of our own exhibition games. Instead, I'd wait to see if we won and THEN talk a ton of shit hahaha.

I don’t recall seeing anyone lamenting that we only won by 23. The meltdown was getting played toe to toe during the first half. Just pointing this out whether justified concern or not as you are misrepresenting the concerns shared on the board.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I agree, he will feast down low, but let him get his and shut down every other player. Dickhead would still get his with our 7 footers playing, he is a double double machine in college and can score. His defense sucks. I still think we have a punchers chance even without our bigs.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
These games are meaningless...

Absolutely not. For UK, it tells you who the best players are, nearly always. The best scorers in the exhibitions are always the best in-season.

There's been a handful of exceptions. Both years of Oscar, he didn't score well in exhibitions. While Skal did well in the exhibitions, but did not play well during the season. Also Liggins dominated the exhibitions in Calipari's first year, but didn't play that well during the season.

In 20 years at Kansas Self has 11 one seeds. Avg seed: 1.9
And only 2 titles. And that's with the extra help they get at home with the Phog (thus giving them better overall records) and the protection they get in the tourneys.

Some of our fans may drool over your program. I couldn't care less. Call us when you get more than 8 titles that aren't half-baked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT