ADVERTISEMENT

KSR postgame

Of course we won’t definitively know unless Cal or players discuss what the plan was on that possession.

But watching it in real time, and on replay, it all looked very intentional and orchestrated. It didn’t appear they just randomly set up a back screen and had Thiero crashing toward the rim on the backside. Reed appeared to be looking for it the whole way, and unfortunately the Zags sniffed it out.

Look, had the play worked, it would have been considered a genius call. But the reality is it was generally going to have a low percentage chance of succeeding. I would MUCH rather have had someone penetrating and attacking the basket for a layup/put back dunk/foul and bonus free throws.
IIRC, that would have only tied the game....right?

Sounds like MJ is of the opinion that Scott Drew gets the first call.

Not terrible but not great..

People like to think UKs "resources" will just add wins. I'm not so sure. His time at Baylor is pretty weak all together.

You want a winning coach? Which one can do it with multiple teams. That's my critique and Scott drew doesn't fit.

Good point about John Robic and game prep/scouting. Since he left/was fired, our defense has been on a downhill slide. The number of losses has steadily increased as well.

Reactions: sefleming
He was pretty rough on him at times last year too though. Basically said the only reason he won’t be replaced was because of his astronomical buyout. That is why Calipari has cut him off . Don’t get me wrong. I can’t stand Matt Jones “the person “ . I have heard too many stories from people that have met him . Hes a grade A a$$hole .
Jones and the KSR yes men have done this spill for a while. They criticize cal no inbounds, favor high rated players, man to man only defense, shooting too many long twos, etc. and then state…Cal is rhe man for this job…incredible stuff for sure. And cut off callers that want a new coach.

After that Gonzaga game is the first time he’s ever mentioned “Can’t see Cal back if we don’t make a run” the whole way this season is going

As far as the buyout…face it…Cal will get a buyout of sorts whenever it’s over. So if Cal is gone after this season (which is my prediction)..there will be a buyout and Jones will be wrong as he usually is

Reactions: yoshukai
THIS.. is what people aren't talking about enough.

Jobbed in 2016 on the Hump spike bll which cost us a seed.
Jobbed in 2021 or whatever on that awful LSU goaltend call.
The 2011 and 2014 Uconn games..
I could go on for a while.

We have been so absolutely screwed on officiating that it cant just be random. We didn't just flip 25 tails in a row...
They hate him. He knows it. Wasn’t it a game when he was at UMASS where he got called from being out of the coaching box and Cal said “you only called that because I’m John Calipari.”

Matt is actually more on point than I thought he'd be.

Saying bad March and it should be over.

Says fans don't deserve the last 4 years
As a non-partial person:

I think Matt has been pretty objective the last 4 years. He's caught a lot of flack for criticizing Cal. Cal has deserved criticism.

9-16 gets you criticism. Losing to St. Peter's gets you criticism. Getting a returning NPOY in Oscar and having another let down season gets you criticism. 7 losses with a team full of draft picks should get you a lot of criticism.

Yeah, I mean that may be. At some point, we DO need someone in there who I guess has a good rapport with the refs.

It's just sad that's what it has to come to.

And honestly, Hurley seems to be a guy who is going to wear out his welcome with refs. He's one of the bigger on-ref guys out there. That's going to be a problem at some point. Still want him though,
K was the biggest cry baby and he always got a favorable whistle, but he was a good coach. Ccc is just lousy

Seriously? In his Post game?

Ooof.. that's awful if that's the case. But, "if it's not there", then go with the 3. Reed should have probably kicked it out.

But yes, if that was designed to be a lob, that's a bad play call.
What do you think he is going to say? Of course he called it, but said there were options to shift the blame. No way he was going to accept 100% blame

People like to think UKs "resources" will just add wins. I'm not so sure.
They don't, especially in the age of NIL. I make the same argument when people say Oats would win more here than he does at Bama. He had the #1 overall seed last year and lost in the Sweet 16. Him having that team at UK with our resources doesn't magically make them go further in the tournament.

Recruits don't care about "resources" or program tradition. Kids who would play for Drew at Baylor would play for Drew at UK. Kids that don't want to play for Drew aren't playing for him just because he's at UK. It's the same thing with Cal. Wall, Bledsoe and Cousins didn't come here for UK, they came here for Cal. They were already Memphis bound and would have followed him to Akron if that's where he ended up.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Show me one on this site. Just one and reference the post. You can’t. It’s a made up immature myth several use to tell themselves they hold the upper hand. Bizarre and goofy. Reference a post from anybody here that says Cal comes before the program. Just one.
They don't have to say it, moron.

Jones and the KSR yes men have done this spill for a while. They criticize cal no inbounds, favor high rated players, man to man only defense, shooting too many long twos, etc. and then state…Cal is rhe man for this job…incredible stuff for sure. And cut off callers that want a new coach.

After that Gonzaga game is the first time he’s ever mentioned “Can’t see Cal back if we don’t make a run” the whole way this season is going

As far as the buyout…face it…Cal will get a buyout of sorts whenever it’s over. So if Cal is gone after this season (which is my prediction)..there will be a buyout and Jones will be wrong as he usually is
And it will be spread over time and not a lump sum as most on here think.

Booker played 19 mins in the FF loss to Wisky in 2015............Dilly played 18 mins tonight.

Booker averaged 21 minutes per game that season. Let's not act like he didn't play close to his average. He was also playing atrocious 3 point shooting wise going into that game and couldn't guard air.

That team got to that point on good defense.

How do we know that 1. Ulis was even shaking his head at the play and 2. that the play was a lob?

I refuse to believe that the play drawn up was a lob.. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I think the play was more to "Get it to a big for a high percentage shot".. coaches don't draw up "lobs" lol. Not even someone like Cal.
Wow

Show me one on this site. Just one and reference the post. You can’t. It’s a made up immature myth several use to tell themselves they hold the upper hand. Bizarre and goofy. Reference a post from anybody here that says Cal comes before the program. Just one.
Cold non alcoholic beer for you. How many more accounts you gonna make

It's funny, A lot of people here mention that the refs hate Cal.. but why is that Cal's problem? Go after the officiating. Call the games correctly.

I hate to bring this to politics.. but there's a lot of fellow repubs here who post on the Politics forum here. So I'll ask it this way.. Why do we blame the government for stealing the election from Trump (allegedly) because they hate him, but we blame Cal when the NCAA steals games from him, because they dislike Cal?
Blaming refs is for losers.

There’s more than enough opportunities in every game to get the W. Missed opportunities piss me off. I don’t even pay attention to the officials. There are scores of people on here that actually know the refs by name! That’s goofy to me.

You guys slamming Scott Drew do realize he has won exactly the same number of NCAA Titles that Calipari has, right? And he's done it in Waco, TX. That Baylor program was on life support when he got there.
Yeah, Dan Hurley might be the better coach but, I don't think you get him away from UConn. Plus, I think he'd be a bad fit here. Drew would be a far better X's and O's guy plus, he can recruit and more importantly, develop players.

How do we know that 1. Ulis was even shaking his head at the play and 2. that the play was a lob?

I refuse to believe that the play drawn up was a lob.. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but I think the play was more to "Get it to a big for a high percentage shot".. coaches don't draw up "lobs" lol. Not even someone like Cal.
We've had designed lobs in the playbook since season 1 with Cal, they used to run those backdoor lobs to Wall and it was awesome. I think we did it the first play of the game against Louisville that season. And that final play yesterday was definitely designed for a lob (Cal said so in his postgame, but just look at the play). It wasn't executed well at several different points, but the plan was a lob.

You guys slamming Scott Drew do realize he has won exactly the same number of NCAA Titles that Calipari has, right? And he's done it in Waco, TX. That Baylor program was on life support when he got there.
Yeah, Dan Hurley might be the better coach but, I don't think you get him away from UConn. Plus, I think he'd be a bad fit here. Drew would be a far better X's and O's guy plus, he can recruit and more importantly, develop players.
To be fair, the people slamming Drew are also slamming Cal, so it's not like there's a disconnect on the number of titles!

I think Drew would be a good, not great hire for UK. But the great hires I can think of (Donovan, Jay Wright, Brad Stevens), I don't think they would realistically come. So if Scott Drew is the next coach, I'll be okay with it.

I do wonder if you give Mark Few a call, and not just because they've beat us back to back seasons. Drew has a title but outside of that Few's overall body of work is better. Maybe after the Zags have taken a step back this season he would consider moving on. He's 61, so not young, but you also probably don't have to worry about him overstaying his welcome. Maybe he only coaches 5 years, and then the coaching landscape has cleared up and the next generation of greats have emerged.

Reactions: FltDoc
They don't, especially in the age of NIL. I make the same argument when people say Oats would win more here than he does at Bama. He had the #1 overall seed last year and lost in the Sweet 16. Him having that team at UK with our resources doesn't magically make them go further in the tournament.

Recruits don't care about "resources" or program tradition. Kids who would play for Drew at Baylor would play for Drew at UK. Kids that don't want to play for Drew aren't playing for him just because he's at UK. It's the same thing with Cal. Wall, Bledsoe and Cousins didn't come here for UK, they came here for Cal. They were already Memphis bound and would have followed him to Akron if that's where he ended up.
Lol Cal defenders do still exist I guess. And Alabama's ''struggle'' to hire Nick Saban's replacement shows how hard it is for blueblood schools to replace coaches...

Cal got to one national title game at his previous stops in 25 years. He came to UK and instantly got to two title games in 4 years. People want to act like a blueblood schools resources don't matter. Hilarious take.

Matt continually brings up that we will never fire CCC due to the lifetime contract and that we can’t afford it. He says it’s over and over again and I bet he will say it tonight at least two times.
Yep. Also, when Matt says the utterly ignorant "WhO wE GuNNa GiT tO RepLaCE hIM????"... I want to tell him, about any other capable coach would love to be the coach at KENTUCKY. I think Cal thinks he is untouchable... Thank you Mitch, you utter moron.

Reactions: NociHTTP

It was

So, you don't believe the person you replied to, or feeling like you were pointed out?

Yep. Also, when Matt says the utterly ignorant "WhO wE GuNNa GiT tO RepLaCE hIM????"... I want to tell him, about any other capable coach would love to be the coach at KENTUCKY. I think Cal thinks he is untouchable... Thank you Mitch, you utter moron.
Matt is just parroting whatever he read on here that he thinks will rile up the listeners. He doesn't believe most of the BS he spews.

Last edited:
Reactions: WalterTheHippo
They don't have to say it, moron.
There's nobody here that puts Cal over the program unless they’re a rival fan that has played you. Little league stuff.

I mean you said you’re an “LOD charter member” and throw out insults here. You can’t be over 12 years old so I’ll take your nonsense with a tiny grain of salt and won’t lift a finger to correspond any further. Adios.

Last edited:
There's nobody here that puts Cal over the program unless they’re a rival fan that has played you. Little league stuff.

I mean you said you’re an “LOD charter member” and throw out insults here. You can’t be over 12 years old so I’ll take your nonsense with a tiny grain of salt and won’t lift a finger to correspond any further. Adios.
Idiot

Blaming refs is for losers.

There’s more than enough opportunities in every game to get the W. Missed opportunities piss me off. I don’t even pay attention to the officials. There are scores of people on here that actually know the refs by name! That’s goofy to me.
Troll harder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT