ADVERTISEMENT

Knocks Sr. leaning towards Kevin staying

Coach K didn’t win a title his first ten years at Duke despite multiple final fours. Wright didn’t win a title at Nova his first 14 years. Calhoun didn’t win a title his first 12 years at UConn.
I love cal and everything he has done but those guys also
Didn’t have 30+ first round draft picks in those
First 10 years

First 10 years
K has 1 title and 1 other final four since he adopted the OAD player (8 years).

Cal has 1 title and 3 other finals fours (9 years)

We just can't seem to have a stable program from year to year. Yes Calipari does a great job with One and Done. Gives us a FF shot most years. But one title with all this talent in basically 10 years now, is just not enough. Duke has won 2, Uconn has won 2, and Villanova has won 2 since Cal has been here. Yes its be a great ride, and wins, and FF are nice. But I measure success by titles. And I get sick of watching some many NBA teams, and they have multiple former UK players.

Calipari is doing a hell of a job. He is 273-64, winning 81% of his games at Kentucky. He has 1 national championship, 1 runner up, 2 final 4 losses, 2 elite 8 losses, in 9 seasons at Kentucky. 6 out of 9 years he made the elite 8 or better. He has 2 38 win seasons at Kentucky. There has only been 3, 38 win teams in NCAA history. The other one, Cal at memphis. Sure, we all want another title. I think Calipari will get another one while he is here. But, do you realize how hard it is to win this tournament? It takes a lot of skill, luck, and having ghe right natchups and being hot at the right time. You do realize, thete is 3 active coaches in NCAA, with 2 or more titles. 2 of those coaches have coached at a blue blood program for 30+ years. Both of those coaches are hall of fame coaches, K and Roy, and both had 0 titles after there first 10 years at a bkue blood

Calipari is also the only coach in Division 1 history with 5 consecutive 30 win seasons. Would have been seven consecutive if the 2011 UK team had won just one more game. What's even more impressive about that is the fact that the first four seasons during that stretch, he was at Memphis. That run spanned his time at two different programs. One being a mid major program, and the other, a blue blood program in a P5 Conference. Not too shabby for a mediocre X and Os/bench coach. [eyeroll]

:pimp:

Last edited:
All this is well and good but if Cal is pitching staying to Knox and Knox's dad is leaning toward him staying and he doesn't stay it would seem to be an issue,is Cal not connecting with the kids as he did a few years ago.that would seem to me to be the bigger concern.

Reactions: lmhurst
WildcatFan60 Cal is the best man for this job, can't believe we continue to have this idiotic conversation over and over again. No coach in Ky history besides Rupp (Completely different time) has won more than 1 title. So chill!

Remember Sutton, Tubby, Billy G, get a dam grip! It is tough to win a title these days. However I think Cal will win more titles at Ky. I also think with coach rat embracing the OAD you have seen his last title in 2015. That title should have been ours except for knocking out those cheese heads the year before and the perfect storm to end 38-1. That team would have killed Dook. Before that title it was 5 years for the rats. It's been 6 years since ours, we have had some injuries, weird departures and some bad luck, but that's a part of it. If Cal is here another 10 years I think he will win at least 2 more titles. Chill out! Kblew hasn't won one in a decade.

Reactions: 420grover
Decent source on HOB now saying Knox has decided to leave and has gone back home again.....

Who knows?

All this is well and good but if Cal is pitching staying to Knox and Knox's dad is leaning toward him staying and he doesn't stay it would seem to be an issue,is Cal not connecting with the kids as he did a few years ago.that would seem to me to be the bigger concern.

If the kid doesn't even listen to his dad's advice I'm not sure how much you want Cal to connect with him.

Reactions: JC43
I hope his dad wasn't just playing games about it.

He hasn't announced anything yet. And it wouldn't serve any purpose for dad to play games.

Nearly every parent gives the same canned, meaningless response when asked. As a guy who played major college sports and in the NFL, he's just telling us what he thinks as a dad.

Decision is ultimately up to the kid. He wouldn't be the first not to listen and to be in a hurry to grow up or to just do what his buddy did.

Knock,Knock,Knocking on heavens door.This place has been more or less sane since the season ended but if the chips don't start to fall pretty soon it is going off the rails.I can see it coming like a run away train. Mat Jones is going to get a Roy Williams case of vertigo cause he is leaning in so many directions all at once.

Maybe Knox Jr will go but Knox Sr will stay,same goes for PJ,we trade Green for Hollingsworth,Vanderbilt injures himself trying to make up his mind,instead of E J Montgomery we get E J Floreal.The NBA mistakenly drafts SKJ instead of SGA

We sign Hagans and Williams,start 5 point guards next season and play Globetrotter basketball and win the NCAAT with the band playing Sweet Georgia Brown

Please don’t question St. Jones, patron saint of ambiguity, recruiting fluidities, and secret sources. I personally prefer access to all the free recruiting info he gives, like his flip-a-coin guesswork on the recruits and players leaving, and I think that by questioning him, he might stop posting that information! He said UK had a chance for Randle and Knox, and well, both of those guys ended up at UK, so he’s obviously in the know (with Zion, Bamba, Bridges, Kobi Simmons, Barrett, and Bol, recruiting was “fluid” - unless they picked UK, then Jones’ apostles would remind us all that the holy father said UK had a chance with those guys too).

Because, being that such information is the main reason people click on his site or listen to his show, it’s obvious he would stop posting that information if he became upset and take away the #1 reason fans listen to him in the first place.

Because that makes sense, especially for a guy who does it out of brotherly love, not free market capitalism or profit margin or anything temporal like that.

Decent source on HOB now saying Knox has decided to leave and has gone back home again.....

Who knows?

We knew earlier he was headed home to make final decision. So is he saying Knox is gone and won’t be back at uk at all??

We knew earlier he was headed home to make final decision. So is he saying Knox is gone and won’t be back at uk at all??

I’m sure he will be back to finish the semester.

Apparently this is the 2nd trip home this week.

I’m still holding out hope that he doesn’t disregard Cal and “daddy”....

If his dad feels this way, good for him.

Let your kid enjoy being young sometimes. It’s a shame these young folks feel the need to grow up to have to provide for their family instead of just getting to enjoy being young. Geez
umm me thinks that is exactly what he has been telling him and counseling him to do. Came out and said,we are fincially stable.
Wants him to enjoy college, while at Rupp was reminded of his days winning a championship at Fla St, wants his son to experience it as well. So I don't know where you got that feeling.

It's crazy to me that some posters think Knox Sr is pulling our chains, im sorry that your life is so negative and unhappy, or your mind works in devious ways to think that, shoot I once worked for a company that we were to think of the worst possible outcomes of natural disasters, terrorists attacks, or an outbreak of disease...I hated it, the ones who were great at it were the most unhappy rich people I knew. Point being, we will know something either way less than 24hrs. I want them all to return, if JV is injured he needs to Redshirt to get the surgery done by UK/NBA best, UK insurance is paying for it. Rehab correctly and play like beast beside Wiseman when he comes. I will not fault him if he does otherwise...hindsight should of been done in Sept or when he originally was injured( (assuming that ankle is code for reinjury, I do not know purely guessing on my part)
Go Cats! Hopefully are chances of a NC triples tom with their decisions!!!

Think that was pretty widely reported earlier. If someone is passing that off as a scoop I'm skeptical that they have any idea what's going on.

Yea I think it’s been well known that he made the trip back home today. Just odd for Knox Sr. to put that quote out for Knox to just fly home and decide to leave, IMO

Think that was pretty widely reported earlier. If someone is passing that off as a scoop I'm skeptical that they have any idea what's going on.

Going home is not the reason and one wasn’t given...

Be skeptical all you want I’m just passing it along. The guy apparently has an in with someone according to others on HOB.

Yea he went last weekend and his pops said he was headed home today to finalize the decision. Hope that dude is wrong bc we need to rebuild some morale amongst our fan base that we lost in the recruiting battles. I sense the natives are getting restless.

I take the dad’s narrative as his family showing how much they truly love Cal, the fans, and the program.

By “wrestling” with the decision, which to some degree I think is true, they’re actually placing a massive compliment on UK’s program as a whole.

It’s a wonderful compliment, and I think they’ve endeared themselves to BBN even more as a result, regardless of the result of tomorrow's announcement.

That said, it’s really hard to turn down instant millions for the second year in a row (he received a foreign offer last year worth in excess of $1.2 million). If Knox comes back to Kentucky and leads his teammates to a Final Four, he might rival Mashburn as far as legendary sacrificial UK heroes go. Mashburn turned down lottery status after his sophomore year. Knox would be in that camp (Patterson and Jones as well).

Yea he went last weekend and his pops said he was headed home today to finalize the decision. Hope that dude is wrong bc we need to rebuild some morale amongst our fan base that we lost in the recruiting battles. I sense the natives are getting restless.

No doubt. Retaining Knox would be an enormous blessing that we never really saw coming.

When it's our Sr day, next season, im don't know bout our walkons, but it would be awesome to have upperclassmen day instead, thanking Knox Shai Hami Wenyen pj and SkJ!

I take the dad’s narrative as his family showing how much they truly love Cal, the fans, and the program.

By “wrestling” with the decision, which to some degree I think is true, they’re actually placing a massive compliment on UK’s program as a whole.

It’s a wonderful compliment, and I think they’ve endeared themselves to BBN even more as a result, regardless of the result of tomorrow's announcement.

That said, it’s really hard to turn down instant millions for the second year in a row (he received a foreign offer last year worth in excess of $1.2 million). If Knox comes back to Kentucky and leads his teammates to a Final Four, he might rival Mashburn as far as legendary sacrificial UK heroes go. Mashburn turned down lottery status after his sophomore year. Knox would be in that camp (Patterson and Jones as well).

Personally I don’t think UK fans will be happy with all the shenanigans that have gone on with recruiting. Then Knox stringing us along. Lots of peoples hopes have been up bc of a certain radio show personality’s opinion about where certain recruits would go. I think apathy will set in for many if Knox leaves after his pops statements. If Knox just said it’s been a good ride adios that’s one thing. It’s another to say he’s “wrestling with the decision” or his dad to basically say he wants him to stay. And if it was likely early week that Knox was gone Cal should have put an end to the speculation that has ensued. I don’t think hes plugged in to the direction our fan base is headed. I mean rupp isn’t even filling up and cal has had to ask the fans to step it up. He needs to do something to inject enthusiasm into our fan base and being strung along by Knox for a week will not help.

I mean it sounded like cal Gave him a recruiting pitch. This would be like losing a recruit. You don’t know what you want to do? Just discuss it with your family in private. Don’t let dad come out and build it up like he’s gonna return. Of course all of this is based on him deciding to go. If he stays it will be just what the dr ordered and it will inject massive enthusiasm into our fan base

Knock,Knock,Knocking on heavens door.This place has been more or less sane since the season ended but if the chips don't start to fall pretty soon it is going off the rails.I can see it coming like a run away train. Mat Jones is going to get a Roy Williams case of vertigo cause he is leaning in so many directions all at once.

Maybe Knox Jr will go but Knox Sr will stay,same goes for PJ,we trade Green for Hollingsworth,Vanderbilt injures himself trying to make up his mind,instead of E J Montgomery we get E J Floreal.The NBA mistakenly drafts SKJ instead of SGA

We sign Hagans and Williams,start 5 point guards next season and play Globetrotter basketball and win the NCAAT with the band playing Sweet Georgia Brown

Well, this is one of my favorite all time posts. I don't know why, but I laughed too hard.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
It wouldn't sting so much if we hadn't had that nightmare end to the season.Yes we will have some guys back but I don't see a go to guy on our roster.Missing on RJ/Zion sucked.

Reactions: brianpoe
Personally I don’t think UK fans will be happy with all the shenanigans that have gone on with recruiting. Then Knox stringing us along. Lots of peoples hopes have been up bc of a certain radio show personality’s opinion about where certain recruits would go. I think apathy will set in for many if Knox leaves after his pops statements. If Knox just said it’s been a good ride adios that’s one thing. It’s another to say he’s “wrestling with the decision” or his dad to basically say he wants him to stay. And if it was likely early week that Knox was gone Cal should have put an end to the speculation that has ensued. I don’t think hes plugged in to the direction our fan base is headed. I mean rupp isn’t even filling up and cal has had to ask the fans to step it up. He needs to do something to inject enthusiasm into our fan base and being strung along by Knox for a week will not help.

90% of UK fans have no clue there have been any "shenanigans" nor does anyone think our most talented player going home to talk the biggest decision of his life over with his family constitute being strung along.

It's the first week of April. There's zero reason for him to rush.

Some good points, especially about the need for a boost. I look at Knox as having the potential to alter/boost the program in an atypical way, much the same way Patterson did when he chose Kentucky over a decade ago. Other players who had that type of impact would probably include the duel Bogans/Prince announcement that they were both returning.

It wouldn't sting so much if we hadn't had that nightmare end to the season.Yes we will have some guys back but I don't see a go to guy on our roster.Missing on RJ/Zion sucked.

It wouldn’t sting at all without a week of statements, cal trying to keep him and reports he Is torn. It is a Matt jones effect. To get as much behind the scenes as possible has junior wanna be journalists out like cockroaches to show us how the sausage is made. Well they keep telling me that we use tenderloin then i find out it’s lips and assholes. After a while you become numb and settle for the lips and assholes.

Reactions: bookerfan66
90% of UK fans have no clue there have been any "shenanigans" nor does anyone think our most talented player going home to talk the biggest decision of his life over with his family constitute being strung along.

It's the first week of April. There's zero reason for him to rush.

We have thousands and thousands of fans who waited on pins and needles for Williamson to announce his decision. We have thousands and thousands of fans who have watched us come up short in the recruiting battles. If you think 90% aren’t paying attention you are mistaken. It’s probably more like 90% waiting to see

As for going home that’s not the problem. The problem are all the public statements dad has made this weak about cal pitching him to stay, about dad wanting him to stay, about Knox “wrestling” with the decision. Shai putting off his announcement bc of knox etc Every day this week there has been statements even one today that Knox is leaning toward a return. I’m telling you after all that this week, not just taking time but the public comments there will be a backlash.

I mean i that's all the new news is we already knew that. He was taking a second trip home in 1 week because he is so torn and wanted to sit down with the family again before deciding. Don't see how that means he's gone. I saw that as a positive. That he is struggling with it and wants everyone's opinion before making the call. If that's it I still feel good about him coming back.

We have thousands and thousands of fans who waited on pins and needles for Williamson to announce his decision. We have thousands and thousands of fans who have watched us come up short in the recruiting battles. If you think 90% aren’t paying attention you are mistaken. It’s probably more like 90% waiting to see

As for going home that’s not the problem. The problem are all the public statements dad has made this weak about cal pitching him to stay, about dad wanting him to stay, about Knox “wrestling” with the decision. Shai putting off his announcement bc of knox etc Every day this week there has been statements even one today that Knox is leaning toward a return. I’m telling you after all that this week, not just taking time but the public comments there will be a backlash.

Zion Williamson was the most famous recruit in recent memory and announced on ESPN before a Kentucky game.

Kevin Knox is a guy 95% of fans who pay attention expected to go pro from the second he chose a school. Knowing he talked to his parents and coach and had a tough time deciding doesn't rile up anybody with a brain or a spine.

I know you're looking hard for a reason to be upset, but it's just not there. We assumed he was gone. If he had a hard time leaving, that's a good thing, not a bad one.

Reactions: JC43 and brianpoe
First 10 years

You mean like those good old days when Coach K would convince 5 star All-Americans to stay at Duke for four years? I'm also fairly certain Wright and Calhoun have never coached a freshmen-dominated team in their lives.

I mean i that's all the new news is we already knew that. He was taking a second trip home in 1 week because he is so torn and wanted to sit down with the family again before deciding. Don't see how that means he's gone. I saw that as a positive. That he is struggling with it and wants everyone's opinion before making the call. If that's it I still feel good about him coming back.

I did not say KK going home had anything to do with the guy’s report of Knox leaving.

He said the staff believes Knox is gone.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
Zion Williamson was the most famous recruit in recent memory and announced on ESPN before a Kentucky game.

Kevin Knox is a guy 95% of fans who pay attention expected to go pro from the second he chose a school. Knowing he talked to his parents and coach and had a tough time deciding doesn't rile up anybody with a brain or a spine.

I know you're looking hard for a reason to be upset, but it's just not there. We assumed he was gone. If he had a hard time leaving, that's a good thing, not a bad one.

You’re tone deaf if that’s what you think. But you’re entitled to your opinion. This became a different situation once we learned cal was encouraging him to stay and his dads statements which is the bottom line. Shai putting off his decision until he knows Knox’s bc he might follow suit. Leave it behind closed doors no problem no one would say boo. But for cal to go full out unprecedented to try and get him to stay. For dad to say he’s leaning toward him staying. Well that just builds hope on the heels of a huge let down in our recruiting class.

As this article says about knox it’s unprecedented under cal to have a guy on the fence like this. This will sting if he goes. You know it

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/4/5...sketball-kevin-knox-nba-draft-decision-update

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT