ADVERTISEMENT

Kids starting to pull out of the draft. Clayton back to Florida

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Two of Florida Gators basketball’s top players from the 2023-24 season, who had collegiate eligibility still remaining, decided to try their hands at becoming professionals last month. Both of them have decided to return to the program in what will be a huge boon for head coach Todd Golden.

Just days after Will Richard decided that he will play his senior season with the Gators, fellow junior guard Walter Clayton Jr. has chosen to do the same, according to multiple reports. Clayton tested the draft waters but, like Richard, was not invited to the 2024 NBA Combine.

Florida got FAUs other best player in Alijah Martin to replace Zyon Pullin. They will have a great group of guards next year. Golden also got a couple of solid bench bigs to help with their depth too.

Two of Florida Gators basketball’s top players from the 2023-24 season, who had collegiate eligibility still remaining, decided to try their hands at becoming professionals last month. Both of them have decided to return to the program in what will be a huge boon for head coach Todd Golden.

Just days after Will Richard decided that he will play his senior season with the Gators, fellow junior guard Walter Clayton Jr. has chosen to do the same, according to multiple reports. Clayton tested the draft waters but, like Richard, was not invited to the 2024 NBA Combine.

Thanks for sharing.

None of these guys had a chance to be drafted. The whole entering the draft and testing the waters has gotten ridiculous. Now excuse me because I am old but I remember when a kid had to be dominant at the college level before even thinking about leaving early. Which back then came after their junior or senior year. I sure wish that was the case today. Sorry I was just reminiscing.

None of these guys had a chance to be drafted. The whole entering the draft and testing the waters has gotten ridiculous. Now excuse me because I am old but I remember when a kid had to be dominant at the college level before even thinking about leaving early. Which back then came after their junior or senior year. I sure wish that was the case today. Sorry I was just reminiscing.
I agree with you for what it's worth.

Hard pass on Trevon Brazile, please god
in living color GIF

Why wouldn't they get feedback to see what they need to improve on to have a better chance?

I feel like if you’re under 25 , you’re a kid
Not really, only recently have 18 year olds been thought of as kids. They used to get houses and married in my parents day. I know that’s basically impossible nowadays but they can still be adults and start their journey into the world.

Last edited:
Florida got FAUs other best player in Alijah Martin to replace Zyon Pullin. They will have a great group of guards next year. Golden also got a couple of solid bench bigs to help with their depth too.
Martin is a great pickup for Florida, but a much different player than Pullin. I’m not sure what Todd’s plans may be, but I can’t imagine he has Martin filling their point guard spot. If Florida has a weakness next season, I suspect that will be it - pg.
Pullin was unexpectedly fantastic.

As a fellow old timer, I share your sentiments. Bit it is now setup for kids to gain some great experience by partaking in pre-draft camps/workouts.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Why wouldn't they get feedback to see what they need to improve on to have a better chance?
This “get feedback” reason for entering the draft is the MOST over exaggerated, useless reason for putting your name in considering all of these kids have agents now. These kids “entourages” now KNOW how the NBA scouts and teams feel about their games. These agents are in contact with Pro people the ENTIRE time these kids show ANY remote ability to have a shot at the NBA. And these scouts have told these kids and their agents EVERY ASPECT of their game’s that needs improvement before they ever enter their names.

So about the only reason left for these kids to enter their name into the draft would be to get MORE money from the school’s NIL to return to college.

If Robinson stays in the draft I will admit that’s a huge hit to Kentucky. Also Torres said BYU thinks they have a good shot to get him back.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Not really, only recently have 18 year olds been thought of as kids. They used to get houses and married in my parents day. I know that’s basically impossible nowadays but they can still be adults and start their journey into the world.
I mean, I was shoulder to shoulder with 18 year olds in Iraq. Some were kids, some were young men. Everyone left a little older.

Martin is a great pickup for Florida, but a much different player than Pullin. I’m not sure what Todd’s plans may be, but I can’t imagine he has Martin filling their point guard spot. If Florida has a weakness next season, I suspect that will be it - pg.
Pullin was unexpectedly fantastic.

Clayton will probably be the primary ballhandler. I assume that's what he's going to focus on as well in his final year. It is a concern. I wouldn't be surprised if Golden snagged a backup PG type in the portal with his final scholarship.

Butler, Brea and Carr still have to remove their names as well. Williams is removing his.

Those 3 plus Robinson and maybe a reclass or Wooga. That will finish our class out.

BBN is teetering right now when it comes to buying into UK's roster next year. Robinson would change that, obviously. He becomes the guy that ignites a little hope as the final piece to a decent team.

I'd still like us to close with Poplar and Robinson. I don't think we'll beat Alabama or Calipari for Riley this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT