ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to SC game?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. Give BV time - SC has some good edge rushers so we have to keep them out of BV's face.
2. Make SC's passing offense beat us. Not convinced their QB is much of a passer and, at least to my eyes, they have fewer game changers on the outside than normal. Spy on the QB and front 7 have to play well. SC's OL played pretty poorly against ODU - they'll come out fired up to prove that was a fluke. Their QB seems very limited in his ability to pass so don't concede easy 5-6 yard throws that allow him to find some rhythm. Make him read the defense and make big-time throws. My guess he's not going to consistently beat us that way.
3. No huge TOs that give them cheap points. I don't think they'll be able to drive consistently against our D and their D is pretty good so a cheap TD or FG could mean a ton in this game.
4. Special teams need to be solid - punting to flip the field, coverage teams, punt/kick return for the Cats to set up a score.
5. They tend to have a bunch of guys who woof all game long - we need to ignore that crap, keep our focus and make the woofers eat their words.
6. Get several 3-and-outs so we can control the ball and wear their D out.

1. Give BV time - SC has some good edge rushers so we have to keep them out of BV's face.
2. Make SC's passing offense beat us. Not convinced their QB is much of a passer and, at least to my eyes, they have fewer game changers on the outside than normal. Spy on the QB and front 7 have to play well. SC's OL played pretty poorly against ODU - they'll come out fired up to prove that was a fluke. Their QB seems very limited in his ability to pass so don't concede easy 5-6 yard throws that allow him to find some rhythm. Make him read the defense and make big-time throws. My guess he's not going to consistently beat us that way.
3. No huge TOs that give them cheap points. I don't think they'll be able to drive consistently against our D and their D is pretty good so a cheap TD or FG could mean a ton in this game.
4. Special teams need to be solid - punting to flip the field, coverage teams, punt/kick return for the Cats to set up a score.
5. They tend to have a bunch of guys who woof all game long - we need to ignore that crap, keep our focus and make the woofers eat their words.
Hell that is pretty much the WHOLE parts of a game. When I think keys to a game, I think of a couple things, not every faucet of the game. We do not have to win EVERY faucet of the game to win, just a few key ones.

Simple. Block, and win the turnover battle. Do those 2 things, UK wins fairly easy. I am concerned with SC's defense getting after BV and cause him to make quick decisions / mistakes.
I would add tackle. They have two good runners in QB and RB

Reactions: satcheluk
I would add tackle. They have two good runners in QB and RB
Not really. Unless you consider 3 yards per carry great (I don't). They as a team rushed 56 times for 174 yards, 3.1 yards per carry. Not great. Especially against a team like ODU. The SC offensive line got pushed around against a Sun Belt cellar dweller.
To further my points :
Sanders - 24 carries / 88 yards / 3.7 per
Sellers (QB) - 22 carries / 68 yards / 3.2 per carry.

Turnovers : Old Dominion 4 (FOUR) South Carolina 1

Old Dominion fumbled twice inside their own 10 yard line and led to the only 2 SC TD's. Also, the QB for ODU threw a interception in the SC endzone. South Carolina even with the two gift TD's and 4 turnovers to 1 margin, still only won 23-19. IF Old Dominion had only fumbled once inside their own 10, they would have won even while losing the turnover margin 3-1. ODU was picked to finish 6th in a 7 team Sun Belt East division. Not exactly a powerhouse.

If UK wins the turnover margin 4-1 against South Carolina, the game will not be close.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Pretty sure you could cut and paste most of these for every game. :)
Having said that, I agree with everything. Their QB can run and he's big, so need to punish him every time by gang tackling and forcing him back into traffic. Also, he has a nice deep ball, so I like our typical deep zone and experienced LBs dropping into underneath passing lanes. I suspect we can easily confuse him by bringing the simulated pressures from different angles. Lastly, make sure the special team guys are ready for shenanigans because I don't think they can beat us without some freaky plays/turnovers.

Another Lair classic!!

And the key: limit turnovers. Old Dominion lost by 3 in Columbia, and fumbled twice within their own 10 yard line, spotting the Cocks 14 points.
Indeed. I suspect they will play better, but if we both play our A game, we smoke them. The only way we lose is if we lay an egg or -3 TOs/special teams TDs.

This is going to be Brock’s coming out party. To many talented weapons on our offense for them to lock in on.

This is going to be Brock’s coming out party. To many talented weapons on our offense for them to lock in on.

Would love to see it!!

Should be a rout, but we seem to keep inferior SEC opponents in games at Kroger field. If our defense plays like they are capable of doing and Brock just does the simple things correctly, we will beat them handily.

Also, USC played ODU @ Williams Brice in Columbia. Playing on the road is much different, particularly for freshmen. We need to be focused, but not fearful.

Agreed....but this one boils down to not turning the ball over...and UK wins comfortably. UK is decidedly more complete roster and team.
My thoughts exactly. They couldn't score on ODU without getting turnovers that put them in the red zone. If we don't turn it over, we win comfortably imo. They won't run on us and their qb can't throw.

As much criticism that it gets on here , this is absolutely the team to play a conservative zone against. Just do your job,keep the recievers in front of you, keep your eyes on the quarterback , Dline stay in your rushing lanes and set the edge . This kid can’t throw well enough to beat us and their oline won’t be able to block our front seven . And no stupid special team screwups .

As much criticism that it gets on here , this is absolutely the team to play a conservative zone against. Just do your job,keep the recievers in front of you, keep your eyes on the quarterback , Dline stay in your rushing lanes and set the edge . This kid can’t throw well enough to beat us and their oline won’t be able to block our front seven . And no stupid special team screwups .
Yes and yes....don't' lose it.

UK has contributed mightily to the silly 2 game losing streak to USC...and damn near lost the game 3 years ago with CROD/Ali fumbling the ball into oblivion.

Just run the ball, leave a TE to block on edge rushers a bit and we'll be fine. Beamer will do a special teams trick....so be on guard for those moments in game and make USC earn all the points.

I don’t get to watch much of the USCjr game but my initial thoughts were if we come out and smack them in the mouth, they will lay down. There wasn’t much fight in them. ODU gifted them that game with a turnover at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT