ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky - WVU 2010

But a year later it was sweet revenge.

Then again in 2015 when we literally almost beat them by 90.

And i think UK beat them again in WV just recently.

OK. I actually don’t think it was by any means chess over checkers with Huggy and Cal. Yes, the 1-3-1 was a problem. But unless my memory failed me just now, I don’t think WVU made a 2-pt fg in the first half. A lot of the threes were contested as well. It wasn’t like Gohlke getting wide open off screen. I even saw Cal yelling at 11 (Jesus, he was so fast), to feed it to Boogie and chastise Pat for jacking a three. It was the flukiest game I’ve ever seen.

The second half was us panicking.

That team, two-platoon, and Fox-Monk-Bam were the best teams in the country those years. We definitely should have at least two more titles.

Ok. I finished the watch. It’s amazing we won 35 games with no shooters. Makes this season even more frustrating.

Sorry for the soliloquy boys. Yeah, I don’t blame this one on Cal. Cousins, contrary to what he said on the pod with John Wall, didn’t do much even when fed in the post. We also missed so many FT’s. A comedy of errors.

Reactions: bIhawk
Sorry for the soliloquy boys. Yeah, I don’t blame this one on Cal. Cousins, contrary to what he said on the pod with John Wall, didn’t do much even when fed in the post. We also missed so many FT’s. A comedy of errors.
Missing FTs is a staple of Calipari teams and it has cost him several games. At that point in his career, and certainly now, Calipari teams missing FTs is squarely on him for never emphasizing them in practice.

Yeah but key Calipari things cost us the game, fans and the team knew they had no shooters so why Chuck like 30 3’s that game? Another zone we didn’t prepare for. Didn’t get Cousins enough looks, Wall should have drove all night. Missed FT’s another staple of Cal. Not to mention they lost their best PG before that game. We got beat by Joe Mazulla dude.

Reactions: CROCAT
How to beat 1-3-1? Easy, just have known sharpshooters Wall and Bledsoe jack up 30+ threes...

Another Cow coaching masterclass which cost us a showdown with an inferior Duke team in the FF

Now go watch us pound the air out of the ball half dozen times to end the 2015 Wisconsin debacle if you really want to make it hurt.

As an aside and on the subject of that team, it still blows my mind that the “Platoons!!!” were even a thing by that point in the season. Trim that bunch down to a more formal lineup as the season went on and we’re 2015 champs.

Reactions: kats23
Now go watch us pound the air out of the ball half dozen times to end the 2015 Wisconsin debacle if you really want to make it hurt.

As an aside and on the subject of that team, it still blows my mind that the “Platoons!!!” were even a thing by that point in the season. Trim that bunch down to a more formal lineup as the season went on and we’re 2015 champs.
Just like this season, too many players and too many decisions for Cal to make in game. Once the Poythress injury happened, the platoon went it away. It became tying to get 9 players equal minutes. Cal is not good at that.

Reactions: Imafan4evr_
Poor coaching aside, I firmly believe we would have won that game had Jamie Luckie not been officiating. When he refs “his game” he calls so many fouls that players cannot get in a rhythm and then laughs that it’s not his “fault players can’t shoot.” He advocates giving “the little guy more latitude” and I think that cost us. Hear him yourself in this video https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/jamie-luckie-and-kentucky.263353/page-2#post-6804184
(I also think our Higgins-called game vs Cornell 30-something hours prior also factored in to fatigue and affected the WVU game. It was far too close of a game and commentators like Bilas were saying some calls “were impossible to miss” the way Higgins had.
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...s-thread-2005-2017.232127/page-2#post-5815145

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/just-watched-the-2010-cornell-game.234796/#post-5892738 )

Last edited:
Cal somehow causes his teams to feel extreme pressure during real big games and they don't perform well. It has been that way since he has been here. Latest example: The Cats were the underdogs when they went to Tenn during the last reg season game, less pressure, they performed well. On they other they were favorite and pressured during both tourn games. Look how those went down. It seems the younger the player the more. they display the pressure. So, nothing will change that except getting a new coach or maybe going with older, more mature players. JMO

Poor coaching aside, I firmly believe we would have won that game had Jamie Luckie not been officiating. When he refs “his game” he calls so many fouls that players cannot get in a rhythm and then laughs that it’s not his “fault players can’t shoot.” He advocates giving “the little guy more latitude” and I think that cost us. Hear him yourself in this video https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/jamie-luckie-and-kentucky.263353/page-2#post-6804184
(I also think our Higgins-called game vs Cornell 30-something hours prior also factored in to fatigue and affected the WVU game. It was far too close of a game and commentators like Bilas were saying some calls “were impossible to miss” the way Higgins had.
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/...s-thread-2005-2017.232127/page-2#post-5815145

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/just-watched-the-2010-cornell-game.234796/#post-5892738 )
Lucke was the absolute worst. I think he is the one who T’d up Liggins in that game.

You jokers act like nothing good happened during the Coach Cal's era lol wtf, y'all joining Louisville fans next season, I guess.

Kind of funny how the jokers were saying that if he couldn't make it to the final 4 with that team, he was never going to do it at UK. Instead he took UK to the Final 4 the next season as a 4 seed and beat the #1 overall seed in Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT