ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky v. Louisville (Super Regionals - #1)

Damn coach doesn't like Carson's ability to hit at all. This makes twice today he has took the bat out of his hands and he's been crushing the ball.
yeah, I don't get this. He had a good regional at the plate and his first AB he hit it hard.

That's a terrible way to lose.
I dont get the pitch hitter there. Carson much higher chance to get on.

That was our chance imo. UL not a great performance but still was enough despite stupid errors and timid hitting from UK

Don't understand that move..not best day for Coach Ming
Hated bunting Carson early after he crushed ball
Didn't like move to Logue
Really didn't like last pitch hit
Carson was seeing ball well
Oh well
Out hit them they just played cleaner baseball today

We were tentative all day but coach made a lot of poor decisions.

1. Carson bunting was a stupid play
2. Putting Logue in against UL's 2 best hitters.
3. Pinch hitting for Carson in the 9th for a guy with next to no hits all year.

We were tentative all day but coach made a lot of poor decisions.

1. Carson bunting was a stupid play
2. Putting Logue in against UL's 2 best hitters.
3. Pinch hitting for Carson in the 9th for a guy with next to no hits all year.

Bunt was only bad bc he didn't get in down.

I love that call. Those are the things that advance you if executed

Terrible day by Ming. Very questionable pinch-hitting Collett in that situation. Carson makes a bunch of mistakes, but he also has come up clutch several times. Also, is Becker every going to do something to justify being the clean-up hitter?

Very discouraging day. It's one thing to lose to a better team, but UL really wasn't very good either.

One fastball from Logue.
One good bunt or better read from Carson.
One inch to the right for Pompey.
Can't pin this loss on any one guy - just didn't get the job done.

Don't understand people being confused by the last move. You can disagree with it, but it isn't confusing.

Mingione gambling to tie it up with one swing vs string together 2-3 more hits to tie it.

Don't understand people being confused by the last move. You can disagree with it, but it isn't confusing.

Mingione gambling to tie it up with one swing vs string together 2-3 more hits to tie it.

With a guy who has two hits all season.

I think I take my chance to string 2 hits together and have great lead off looming

Regardless we must come out more aggressive and stop taking pitches right down the heart.

The last inning we did just that...

I imagine most people aren't like us and really want to like Louisville athletics. It's a nice city in a great state with some cool stuff to do.
I don't get that impression and have lived in several states. First, right or wrong, I don't think most outsiders think Kentucky is a great state or that Louisville is a nice city. Second, the university itself is hindered by a certain mediocre urban school status. It's Houston or Memphis or Cincinnati, that's the league it's in. Nothing about it to make you want to cheer. But then mostly what hurts are the multiple scandals of the last 3 years. When Fox Sports says Louisville is a "rogue athletics department", when Sports Illustrated says we're seeing a "shameful" display of a school that "only cares about winning", and when ESPN says Tom Jurich is an "embarrassment"....you've really depleted any good will you might have. Agree posters here are biased, but there's no groundswell of support out there for UofL......

With a guy who has two hits all season.

I think I take my chance to string 2 hits together and have great lead off looming
One being a pinch hit GS.

Look, I don't think Collett has had enough ABs to be put in that spot...but I understand why he did it...light tower power.

I will also say that many of the ones complaining about that decision (not you) also didn't like the decision to sacrifice Carson to get Heady an ab w/runners in scoring position w/less than 2 outs...not sure why they would've been fine trusting Heady w/2 outs (assuming Carson gets on but didn't hit a game tying 3 run HR) but not with 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd.

Your position is consistent - theirs isn't IMO.

Carson+Heady+Pompey all getting on base/hits or Collett for a HR. poor odds for both.

To be honest I'm looking at Carson to be in a situation for redemption to the mistake base running error. He has proved in the regional he can be clutch

Oh wellz

Did UL win or lose their first game last yr in the Supers?

Reactions: permdaddy

I think Carson had as many homers last weekend as the guy that hit for him had hits all season.

Whether Coach Mingione made the right or wrong decision is really irrelevant. He's a first year coach and has UK in the Supers for the first time ever.

He's earned the right to make whatever decision he wants.

I think Carson had as many homers last weekend as the guy that hit for him had hits all season.
UK rf a bunch smaller than UL. Carson can hit one out straight away, Collett to all fields.

I still would've left lineup as is - but the success rates of 3 straight hits or one bomb are probably both near .080-.100.

I think there are some other lineup issues that need addressing before next game though.

Whether Coach Mingione made the right or wrong decision is really irrelevant. He's a first year coach and has UK in the Supers for the first time ever.

He's earned the right to make whatever decision he wants.

I'm glad we have him and can't tell you how much I love what he has done for our baseball program in 1 year. He loves bunting and I don't like bunting in general. As a MLB fan that watches daily there is a reason that teams don't bunt anymore, the numbers back it up. You only get 27 outs and need to make the other team earn every out. Nothing to lose now go out tomorrow swinging and playing our game. GBB!

UK rf a bunch smaller than UL. Carson can hit one out straight away, Collett to all fields.

I still would've left lineup as is - but the success rates of 3 straight hits or one bomb are probably both near .080-.100.

I think there are some other lineup issues that need addressing before next game though.

Becker needs to move down. He is in a terrible funk at the worst time of the year and it's been going on for a month now.

To be positive that 9th inning gave me hope for tomorrow. We were both aggressive and selective at the plate.
To be honest, I do not know why McDonnell put his closer in with a 5-0 lead in the 9th. I believe he threw 25 or so pitches, and was hit harder than any other Card pitcher by far.

Becker needs to move down. He is in a terrible funk at the worst time of the year and it's been going on for a month now.
Absolutely - sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd like Mahan and Cottam up to 3-4, Reks to 5 and Becker to be near the bottom.

To be positive that 9th inning gave me hope for tomorrow. We were both aggressive and selective at the plate.
To be honest, I do not know why McDonnell put his closer in with a 5-0 lead in the 9th. I believe he threw 25 or so pitches, and was hit harder than any other Card pitcher by far.

Yep - that guy wont be intimidating if/when they use him again...which is part of the battle taking on a "ace" closer...the 9th was a big deal for us.

He needs to move OUT of the lineup, put Cottam or Heyer at the DH spot, or Catch Cottam and DH Heyer. Actually Squires should have caught today IMO, he hits lefty, and is a better defensive catcher.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
These Cats will not go down without a fight, or maybe not at all. Tomorrow Hjelle must be on his game, I believe he will, and we must grind out at bats against McKay.
We have done better against lefties lately, and will face a tough one tomorrow. But our approach at the plate must be more like it has been all season.

Damn coach doesn't like Carson's ability to hit at all. This makes twice today he has took the bat out of his hands and he's been crushing the ball.
Hello!!!!! Love NM, but that may be one of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen taking down Carson for Collett...a hr was not necessary there and besides I trust Carson more that Collett at this point in time.

Thing that stood out was the announcers talking about how the UL pitcher struggled with his breaking ball coming in and we started the game watching fastball after fastball. Very frustrating, but oh well have to bounce back!

It appears many on here never played much baseball. Throwing in the towel on the series prior to the first game ending. Things can change fast in baseball. Players in this sport have real short memories. UK has a tougher task but they turn on tomorrow and it's a one game series. Don't give up so fast. UK finished this game playing more relaxed and they didn't quit. Sure wouldn't want to be stranded behind enemy lines with some of this crew!

Well I finally finished watching. I held out and didn't peek at the score. It was a weird game. First off, that was the first time in a while that UKs pitchers have had a higher pitch count than our opponent. Part of that was on our hitters. We then seemingly refused to swing at good pitches. We then end up hitting their closer better than anyone.

Just strange. Need to bounce back.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I wasn't too upset with the Cats effort, they just must focus on cutting down on mistakes. I felt that Carson did not go full speed going to second base on basically a pass ball. The pitch selection to that punk Ellis was puzzling, 4 straight breaking balls to a slugger allows him to time the ball, a fast ball away would have done the job. Logue has been serving up home runs all year. I have no problems with Collet batting in the ninth, however I would have battted Carson and let Collett hit for Heady. I think the Cats will be more aggresssive tommorow and go after McKay. Hjelle will hold Louisville down. It will be the 4th straight elimination game for the Cats and they played well in the previous 3.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
Well I finally finished watching. I held out and didn't peek at the score. It was a weird game. First off, that was the first time in a while that UKs pitchers have had a higher pitch count than our opponent. Part of that was on our hitters. We then seemingly refused to swing at good pitches. We then end up hitting their closer better than anyone.

Just strange. Need to bounce back.
I think in the ninth inning every batter swung at the first pitch but one..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT