ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky @ Tennessee - Sunday edition

It certainly didn't hurt Hjelle that a year ago we scored 10+ runs in 5 SEC games in which he pitched.
Agree CB3... Was going to include that just slipped me...Lewis nor Hjelle got any offensive support this weekend

Last edited:
You expect your ace to shut the other team down like Singer does for the gators almost every outing...Hjelle does not do that

Reactions: law1127
You expect your ace to shut the other team down like Singer does for the gators almost every outing...Hjelle does not do that
Hjelle is not Singer...not many are. Auburn pitcher struck out 15 vandy batters today and the offense scored 11 runs I think.

Even if we make the NCAA tournament, they would have to win the first 3 games to advance to the Super Regionals. Our bullpen is not deep enough to survive a loss and our hitters are so inconsistent with their game plan that winning the regional is a long shot. We have a better chance o winning a super regional than the first regional. Losing Thompson and Collett affected this team big time. Our lineup is better than average 1-6 but is not any good from 7-9 thus inconsistent offfense.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Hjelle has done all right in conference. 3.86 ERA isn't terrible. However, unlike last year, our offense has not really helped him at all. 2 weeks in a row we've scored just 2 runs in game 1. The UGA and USC games are the only two that we've scored over 5. So, we have been 5 or under in 6 of his games and Hjelle is 3-4 because of it.

If? C'mon, Gabe. LOL. This is like the stuff the basketball fans were saying about NIT this past season. I had to talk them off the ledge. Do I need to do that again? :sunglasses:
Say what you will Jeff , but this team still has to take care of business to make the tournament . It is a long way from being a lock.

This team is very erratic,which is concerning for Mingione and his staff ,in creating a consistent effort and resulting performance. Hopefully Ming can rally the troops ,to play up to their preseason hype,or it will end up a very disappointing season for the players,coaches,and fans!

If? C'mon, Gabe. LOL. This is like the stuff the basketball fans were saying about NIT this past season. I had to talk them off the ledge. Do I need to do that again? :sunglasses:
Making the tournament and doing damage there are two different animals. Our bullpen is shaky and our hitting is inconsistent. I think they must sweep MSU next weekend and win two out of three against Vandy to have any chance of hosting a regional.

Would take a catastrophic set of circumstances to not make the NCAA.at this point (1-2 wins the rest of the way) and a one game elimination in SEC tournament.

Our metrics will continue to keep us solidly in the field and our SOS the rest of the way compared to other non SEC teams doesn't do a lot to diminish that.

Probably have to go 5-2 (IU game included) to feel comfortable about hosting.....and to be honest if that meant being the 16th 1 seed and possibly matching up with Florida in Supers, then I'm okay with be a 2 in almost any other regional.

As disappointing as this weekend was and as maddening as this "elite" offense can be when it comes to execution. Now that our starting pitching is back in tact, I'll take those 3 against most anyone elses come the postseason and then manage the bullpen best we can to get to Mach.

I would say most good teams suffer from the same bullpen woes as we do....an elite closer and then hoping for the best shuffling in and out a bunch o' dudes.

Would be nice to get the offense fine tuned on just doing the little things over the last couple of weeks, but pitching is whats going to define us in the postseason and I believe the starting pitching will be even more dominant once outside of the SEC meat grinder.

Boy you guys love that RPI . . . but don't you sort of have to actually win quite a few games as well? No one in the SEC got a NCAA bid last year with a losing conference record.

That being said, lets go 5-2 vs. IU and SEC and make a good showing in Hoover and it will all be a moot point.

Boy you guys love that RPI . . . but don't you sort of have to actually win quite a few games as well? No one in the SEC got a NCAA bid last year with a losing conference record.

That being said, lets go 5-2 vs. IU and SEC and make a good showing in Hoover and it will all be a moot point.

I looked at that earlier in the season as well and it did make me nervous. However this year is distinctly different from last year in many of the years in the SEC. Typically you have a lot of teams at the top several teams fighting at the bottom and then little more scattered in the middle. This year you basically have Florida at the top, Alabama at the bottom and then everyone else is within only a couple of games of one another. So, this year you have a lot closer SEC race all the way from 2nd to 13th and even if a team like LSU does better in conference by a game then they may still be left out because their RPI, which is a huge factor in baseball.

They have won quite a few games. The undisputed best team in the country (Florida) is only about seven games better this season. Look at the teams across the country and their records. UK is fine. They're not where they wanted to be, but people are acting like this is a .500 club.

They've got the starting pitching and offense to make a run if they can get hot at the right time. Big IF, I know, but no reason to write them off.

Reactions: cats1068 and GGCAT
They have won quite a few games. The undisputed best team in the country (Florida) is only about seven games better this season. Look at the teams across the country and their records. UK is fine. They're not where they wanted to be, but people are acting like this is a .500 club.

They've got the starting pitching and offense to make a run if they can get hot at the right time. Big IF, I know, but no reason to write them off.
And there's still time to put together a run heading into post season. Hopefully that run will start tonight.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT