ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky @ Tennessee - Sunday edition

Coleman has the full ice treatment on his elbow and shoulder. He had the same on Friday after warming up. Not sure if its just precaution or if he hurt it Friday.

Here we go again with our bullpen. Ramsey makes a mistake and gets it up to Ammons doubles to right center, we intentionally walk Lipcius. Leftridge flies out for out two. Russell pops up. If Ramsey could be a bit more focused, he could be really good. He pitches three batters really well. Just one bad pitch in the whole inning.

Leadoff single for Pompey. Cats have the top of the order here in the 9th, so if they're going to make some noise, the right guys will be coming to the plate.

FINAL: Tennessee 5, Kentucky 3. Vols take 2 of 3 from Cats in Knoxville. UT came into series with 2 SEC East wins this season, 13th in ERA, 14th in opp BA, but held Cats to 3 hits in Game 1 and 4 hits in Game 3.

Not a good series loss for the Cats.

Too many runners left on base - only 4 hits on the day. One crucial error that led to a 3-run inning for the Vols, and gave up a career first HR in bottom 7th that gave Vols 5-3 and the eventual win.

Two series losses against Vols and Bama could cost the Cats a homefield 1-seed unless they get hot from here out.

No sugar coating this one. Bad series loss against UT with the chance to fight back to .500 in SEC play on the line. Missed opportunities leaving runners on early. Horrendous third inning. Have to think UK's chances of hosting just evaporated.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Series loss to Bama. Series loss to UT. I don’t see this team going anywhere and that is bitterly disappointing. Terrible coaching, terrible hitting and terrible pitching- this SEC season has had it all.

Reactions: law1127
This season is over. I'm done wasting weekends watching these games, just not fundamentally sound baseball and no clutch hitting.

Tennessee has lost one series at home...to Florida...you people have no clue how baseball works

Tennessee has lost one series at home...to Florida...you people have no clue how baseball works

Yea. We could and should have won, but UT has been tough at home. They took 2 of 3 from A&M a week ago and A&M had an RPI of 14.

No, I know how it works. We needed the series and lost it. No host for us.

It's going to be interesting. A week ago Vandy was possibly hosting. They got swept by Auburn, who probably just played their way to a hosting site.

Need Alabama to win again today.

The return of Thompson makes a sweep next weekend possible. And Vandy is playing poorly right now. The door is open. We have to force our way through.

Minnesota rocketing up the RPI rankings up 12 spots after getting 2 of 3 from Indiana. Indiana may also be playing their way our of hosting.

Bad series loss for the Cats. Both Hjelle and Lewis lost their games and we won on Saturday. Here's were we stand, a sweep of Miss State is a must if we want to host and then beat Vandy 2 out of 3. That would gives us a 16-14 SEC record and we will get to host. The supers are off the table.Very disappointed with the inconsistencies of the players plus some very bad coaching. Too many times this year the tem appeared to be flat and mid-week losses to NKU and Xavier were unacceptable.

Reactions: warrior_SW
Going 2-4 in final 2 series knocks us out of NCAA completely, may need to win 5 of 7 vs IU and SEC Just to get in

FINAL: Tennessee 5, Kentucky 3. Vols take 2 of 3 from Cats in Knoxville. UT came into series with 2 SEC East wins this season, 13th in ERA, 14th in opp BA, but held Cats to 3 hits in Game 1 and 4 hits in Game 3.
That is very, very ugly and embarrassing ...bet the guys feel horrible. Total lack of focus this weekend by the every day players. Shows you to respect every opponent in baseball.

Series loss to Bama. Series loss to UT. I don’t see this team going anywhere and that is bitterly disappointing. Terrible coaching, terrible hitting and terrible pitching- this SEC season has had it all.
Remember we lost to a team today who had no HC or PC with the recruiting coordinator at the helm.

Remember we lost to a team today who had no HC or PC with the recruiting coordinator at the helm.

You know, with the advent of the new radios to the catchers, this could certainly be a situation where you could cheat and still communicate with the coach that is thrown out.

Not saying this happened. Just saying that it could.

This team and this coach from the preseason on have talked about Omaha being the destination. It’s on the top of their Twitter account. And for the most part since the start of the SEC schedule, they have looked, played and coached like a team light years from going to Omaha. If you want to talk the talk, then you better win weekend series against teams like Bama and UT.

It's going to be interesting. A week ago Vandy was possibly hosting. They got swept by Auburn, who probably just played their way to a hosting site.

Need Alabama to win again today.

The return of Thompson makes a sweep next weekend possible. And Vandy is playing poorly right now. The door is open. We have to force our way through.
UK, Vandy and Mst all go into next weekend at 11-13. MST Comes to Lexington to close out the Cliff while Vandy heads to Kville , who at 10-14 is also looking at getting a piece of the pie. Should be an interesting weekend.

I have to emphasize that I have no reason to believe this happened. Just seems like it could.

Shouldn't be. Typically if you are suspended you aren't allowed in the dugout. I suppose you could have a runner relay messages from the clubhouse to the dugout, but that doesn't help on every play. However, now they could still sit in the clubhouse and watch the feed on TV and call plays/pitches into the catcher with the walkie talkie. I don't think those are monitored, so no one would really know if you were doing it.

This team and this coach from the preseason on have talked about Omaha being the destination. It’s on the top of their Twitter account. And for the most part since the start of the SEC schedule, they have looked, played and coached like a team light years from going to Omaha. If you want to talk the talk, then you better win weekend series against teams like Bama and UT.
AGREE...pitching staff has been anything but what was forcasted. Thompson , who I always thought was our best pitcher, going down was a huge blow and then Hjelle has been a shell of himself from last season. The middle of our line up has been pretty good, but no one has taken the resigns as DH and the experiment with Arod was a failure. Pretty sure unless there is an epic fold we have a shot at making the tournament and with ZT back maybe we'll make a good showing.

Reactions: irishcat1965
AGREE...pitching staff has been anything but what was forcasted. Thompson , who I always thought was our best pitcher, going down was a huge blow and then Hjelle has been a shell of himself from last season. The middle of our line up has been pretty good, but no one has taken the resigns as DH and the experiment with Arod was a failure. Pretty sure unless there is an epic fold we have a shot at making the tournament and with ZT back maybe we'll make a good showing.

It certainly didn't hurt Hjelle that a year ago we scored 10+ runs in 5 SEC games in which he pitched.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT