ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky no longer a blue blood

What happens when you wait 7 days for Donovan, he ends up winning his games, then you have to wait another week or two, and by then the transfer portal is dry? Or worse yet, be declines after making you wait for weeks?

From all the reports I'm seeing, they talked to Donovan through back channels and they obviously didn't feel like he was interested enough to take that gamble.
Then hire freaking Chris Beard or Bruce Pearl! You don’t go from option 1/2 and skip all the better candidates for option 43 just because he happened to play here and you don’t want your feelings hurt by people turning you down anymore.

On top of the dozen of reasons why this is BCG/Joker level hire, it’s even worse when you factor in that Mitch is paying him top 5 in the nation money! Hes going to make more than Nate Oates next year. It’s absolutely unfathomable and infuriating. It’s like he intentionally tried to pick the worst person he could. The only move dumber would have been Shaka (who his dumbass called) or Crean/Payne. Now we have our own version of Payne but the difference is our moron AD won’t be smart enough to fire him after 2 years and will probably let UK fall down the record books the entire 5 years. Thats why Mitch HAS to be gone before Pope by ANY means necessary. He can’t be the person making the next choice. He’s repeatedly shown in the two major sports that he doesn’t have a damn clue what he’s doing.

If it makes you feel better - or worse ? - we weren’t getting our “first choice” even in 2007 or 2009

I believe we tried some combo of Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, and Billy Donovan - one or both of those openings - and they all turned us down then - and we ended up with BCG and Cal.

Cal obviously turned out really well (til the end) & we know how Billy went.

On the way home on XM all I heard was how Kentucky is no longer a blue blood and how they are a tier below the likes of Duke, UNC and UCONN.
I was sickened to hear that this is how people actually look at our program.
They said this place no longer holds the prestige it used to and it was clear by how many turned us down.

Also listening now to CBS and Parrish and he said Norlander reported Kentucky did not want to wait on Billy Donavan and how it was a mistake you couldn't wait 5-7 days.
I agree 100% you have to wait on Donavan and it was a huge mistake to jump the gun I get you want to build your roster faster but Pope would been there in 7 days if Billy said no but I am pretty sure Billy wasn't saying no.

Pope has 0 NCAA wins and 0 conference titles this is exactly why we wanted to get rid of Cal.

I hope for the best but I fear this was a huge mistake to not wait on Billy Donavan and by the sounds of it he would have likely came here.
C'mon Henry .. dont you think its naive to think KY didnt have a really good feel for what Billy would do , whether its a week or 3 weeks . He musta been a no , or we wouldnt have moved on so quickly . Regardless Pope can coach , he was doing great considering its BYU . He will be fine here

If Billy D wanted the job he would have let UK know and Mitch would have waited. Pitino said Donovan did not want it.
We got a guy who did want it and not just for money.
Liked Givens saying the same. Nothing but positives from everyone.
Breath of fresh air.

Then hire freaking Chris Beard or Bruce Pearl! You don’t go from option 1/2 and skip all the better candidates for option 43 just because he happened to play here and you don’t want your feelings hurt by people turning you down anymore.

On top of the dozen of reasons why this is BCG/Joker level hire, it’s even worse when you factor in that Mitch is paying him top 5 in the nation money! Hes going to make more than Nate Oates next year. It’s absolutely unfathomable and infuriating. It’s like he intentionally tried to pick the worst person he could. The only move dumber would have been Shaka (who his dumbass called) or Crean/Payne. Now we have our own version of Payne but the difference is our moron AD won’t be smart enough to fire him after 2 years and will probably let UK fall down the record books the entire 5 years. Thats why Mitch HAS to be gone before Pope by ANY means necessary. He can’t be the person making the next choice. He’s repeatedly shown in the two major sports that he doesn’t have a damn clue what he’s doing.
You mean the wife beater, Chris beard? Yeah, that's a great look for the program.

Reactions: bouncebackcats
Kentucky is no longer a blueblood is the most freezing cold take I’ve ever heard 😂😂

You mean the wife beater, Chris beard? Yeah, that's a great look for the program.
1. She said he didn’t hit her.
2. I’d rather have a wife beater who wins and puts us in the final four than one of Mitch’s good boys who will have the roster looking like Vanderbilt’s with zero chance at winning.

What happens if Donovan says no like he has twice before?
We shouldn’t ever give anyone a a third chance to say no. Outsiders and radio personalities don’t call the shots here. The reason some say that is because they hates us and hope we stay the way we have been the last five years. After they take a look at the list, they will realize we are the bluest of blue bloods.

Whoever said that is a dipshit. Cal didn’t make us a blue blood. Him leaving doesn’t make us not one.
Many of those saying that were the ones saying that hiring Cal would not bring UK back on top anytime soon, but he did in the beginning.

Haters.

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
On the way home on XM all I heard was how Kentucky is no longer a blue blood and how they are a tier below the likes of Duke, UNC and UCONN.
They said this place no longer holds the prestige it used to and it was clear by how many turned us down.

Also listening now to CBS and Parrish and he said Norlander reported Kentucky did not want to wait on Billy Donavan and how it was a mistake you couldn't wait 5-7 days.
I agree 100% you have to wait on Donavan and it was a huge mistake to jump the gun I get you want to build your roster faster but Pope would been there in 7 days if Billy said no but I am pretty sure Billy wasn't saying no.

Pope has 0 NCAA wins and 0 conference titles this is exactly why we wanted to get rid of Cal.

I hope for the best but I fear this was a huge mistake to not wait on Billy Donavan and by the sounds of it he would have likely came here.

Henry,

I enjoy a lot of your posts, but you're wrong on this one - and the national media is lazy and hates us.

The all-time winningest program with 8 National Championships, yet no longer a Blue Blood is a buffoon-level take and you shouldn't be paying any attention to it.

What idiot said that, you can't base that on who the current coach is, and if anything Cal is the reason we are not in that top tier, what has Cal done in the last 9 years. Nothing. I say give Pope a chance, the guy can coach, is smart, has a passion for UK, has a high energy motor and bleeds blue more than 2/3rds of the fans on this site.

LMFAO no longer a blueblood…

You don’t lose blue blood status by having a bad four year stretch. We are still first in all time wins and have more championships than every school they mentioned. The only accurate thing they can say is, in this current moment, our program is not at the level those others are. Either they don’t understand the concept of blue blood, or they just want to hate because it makes them feel good. You don’t erase 100 years of history with a four year stretch. Smh

It's not a top 5 job any longer, sorry to say. If it was would have gotten who we wanted.
There are many factors in a coach accepting the job. You have to find the right guy at the right time in their career. Drew or Hurley wasn’t in a position to make a move regardless of what program was offering

At one point Billy Donovan also had 0 ncaa wins and 0 conference titles. All coaches have to start somewhere.

I get the logic of hiring a seasoned coach here I really do. But that doesn’t mean they will succeed here and the fact Pope lacks that doesn’t mean he’ll fail.

Other names thrown around has had stretches where they weren’t good in the tournament as well.

Can we at least give this guy a shot here.

Wrong!!!!!! Really? You you have the most wins and seven championships and you’re no longer a blue blood? OK.

I would say the Opposite. The Pope hire defines us as a Blue Blood. Not extorting Hurley or poaching Drew but by bringing one of our own home. Saying we are Kentucky we do not need what is hot just the name on the jersey. That is blue blood as it gets look at UNC look at Duke. Not only do we have a blue blood as a coach but one that also bleeds blue.

/thread

Don’t despair. You have about 12 other teams in your satchel that could rise to Blue Blood status

Reactions: kennyskywalker34
The only concern I have with Pope is that we didn’t go extreme opposite.

Like when two people break up and you go for someone that’s the polar opposite just because of what happened.

Cal recruited at a high level. Problem was he made it 100%! about the players. To IMO the detriment of the team. Even last year we had a crazy talented team.

There’s no doubt Pope will make this about UK. The Mitch comment about players playing for the front of the jersey. Everything being said. That’s all well and fine. But hopefully this isn’t extreme. Pope hasn’t recruited well. Will he here? It remains to be seen.

It’s ok for Hurley to get up and say about how their players love playing FOR UConn and whatnot but that first title team had I believe 3 players drafted to the NBA. They had talent to go along with it.

You need BOtH. You need to have guys able to sacrifice for the team but you also need talent

It's over. We have a coach. Move on, or give X all of your t-shirt money. Enough crying

Blueblood status doesn't go away. You either are one or aren't.

If Kentucky is no longer a blue blood, then lay the blame squarely at Calipari’s feet. And you’re sorry he left? He caused this perception!

You’re 2025 NCAA Basketball Championships UK Wildcats that will shut up a bunch of morons!!!!

UConn as a blueblood is a JOKE! How many FFs did they have before 1999?! Lmao Elite Eights?! Bahahahahaha idiots!
The same guys saying this, will go.

''Titles are all that matter, bro, that's why Uconn is a blueblood''.

Ok, well Jordan is better than Lebron. Titles are all that matter.

''Bro, other things than titles matter''.

Modern sports media is a dumpster fire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT