ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky no longer a blue blood

HenryMuto

All-American
Mar 31, 2012
Geneva, Ohio
On the way home on XM all I heard was how Kentucky is no longer a blue blood and how they are a tier below the likes of Duke, UNC and UCONN.
I was sickened to hear that this is how people actually look at our program.
They said this place no longer holds the prestige it used to and it was clear by how many turned us down.

Also listening now to CBS and Parrish and he said Norlander reported Kentucky did not want to wait on Billy Donavan and how it was a mistake you couldn't wait 5-7 days.
I agree 100% you have to wait on Donavan and it was a huge mistake to jump the gun I get you want to build your roster faster but Pope would been there in 7 days if Billy said no but I am pretty sure Billy wasn't saying no.

Pope has 0 NCAA wins and 0 conference titles this is exactly why we wanted to get rid of Cal.

I hope for the best but I fear this was a huge mistake to not wait on Billy Donavan and by the sounds of it he would have likely came here.

What happens when you wait 7 days for Donovan, he ends up winning his games, then you have to wait another week or two, and by then the transfer portal is dry? Or worse yet, be declines after making you wait for weeks?

From all the reports I'm seeing, they talked to Donovan through back channels and they obviously didn't feel like he was interested enough to take that gamble.

If I’ve learned anything over the last 10 years it’s that the grew up on social media generation doesn’t understand the definition and root/origin of the word ‘BlueBlood’.

You can’t catapult programs that are inferior in every statistical measurement past other programs when discussing all time even if you don’t think they are as relevant in a 5 year snapshot in time.

On the way home on XM all I heard was how Kentucky is no longer a blue blood and how they are a tier below the likes of Duke, UNC and UCONN.
They said this place no longer holds the prestige it used to and it was clear by how many turned us down.

Also listening now to CBS and Parrish and he said Norlander reported Kentucky did not want to wait on Billy Donavan and how it was a mistake you couldn't wait 5-7 days.
I agree 100% you have to wait on Donavan and it was a huge mistake to jump the gun I get you want to build your roster faster but Pope would been there in 7 days if Billy said no but I am pretty sure Billy wasn't saying no.

Pope has 0 NCAA wins and 0 conference titles this is exactly why we wanted to get rid of Cal.

I hope for the best but I fear this was a huge mistake to not wait on Billy Donavan and by the sounds of it he would have likely came here.
What happens if Donovan says no like he has twice before?

I agree with most of the post….but I would point out that college sports have changed in the last five years. The coaches at ALL the Power 5 schools are making so much money that’s much much harder to move any of them now. Even Alabama Football struggled to replace Saban this year. Coaches are choosing happiness and stability over money at a higher rate then ever before.

Bullshit. People have lost their ability to think and conjure up their own organic opinions. These pinheads cheer for the demise of UK basketball and they're all clowns. Even when they praise UK ... it's just static noise in their own echo chamber and should be ignored, because they know nothing. They're all a pack of yapping dogs. I suppose these same clowns are now yapping about how great Arkansas will be.

lol you know how much NIL money is about to pour into this program?

What happens when you wait 7 days for Donovan, he ends up winning his games, then you have to wait another week or two, and by then the transfer portal is dry? Or worse yet, be declines after making you wait for weeks?

From all the reports I'm seeing, they talked to Donovan through back channels and they obviously didn't feel like he was interested enough to take that gamble.
If Billy had been interested I would've have wanted Mitch to wait. This isn't about one season (next year), this is about the potential to get a guy that we KNOW can win titles at UK vs a guy who is a large unknown. But, I have no idea what Donovan's motivation level was for UK, he may still not be interested.

It's not a top 5 job any longer, sorry to say. If it was would have gotten who we wanted.
You’re wrong. It is. We offered a guy who wanted it and was ready to leave his self built program and his family didn’t want to leave. He values that over career advancement. It happens.

Then we offered a back to back champ that’s NE born and raised, wants the Knicks job one day and lives right outside of NYC, while coaching the most successful program of the 2000s. That was always an assumed ‘No’ but you had to see if the money would win out bc we are in a different tax bracket than UConn.

And then we hired who we hired. You wouldn’t be making this same statement if we offered Donovan, Pearl, Beard, Wade. Our list of top candidates and most the national media/public’s list looked vastly doffeeent than our choir boy AD and that’s where this “everyone turned us down mantra is coming from. We were told no by 1 realistic candidate. Oats is a gray area #2 but that wasn’t pursued heavily. And then 2 dudes who will never coach college again and 1 other who nobody thought was realistic until they say the offered amount.

No longer a blue blood? People have lost their damn minds.

Opinions don’t change fact. Our heritage, history and passion for the game isnt erased by recency. UK is a blueblood, and will always be a blueblood. It’s already established. Take a look around the media, social media, other fan forums.

“Nobody’s” dont captivate a nation.

Last edited:

UK is 100% a blueblood. This coming from an Indiana fan. You have to let talking heads talk. They creat controversy to get you riled up to get clicks. Look at what KSR or outkick. Dan Dakich. Guys like that.

From what I hear Billy Donovan wasn’t interested. I think everything will work out.

Kentucky was and is a blue blood because of the fan base. The accomplishments in the past are still there. The culture is still here and it will be as long as people make it happen. Cal was toxic in many ways, but that situation is at an end.

The odds were GREATLY in favor that Donovan would have relished the attention from Kentucky, strung them along, and then said "Nah!".

Kentucky is the winningest and most consistent program and therefore the greatest program in college basketball history. Championship wise UCLA might have the edge, but Kentucky is the program that everyone wishes their program could mirror in successfulness.

Not a blue blood? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t see why everyone was so enamored with Donovan.

Hadn’t coached or recruited a college athlete in a decade and is already a two-time NCAA champion. Easy to rest on those laurels from long ago.

If you say so. 🙄

It's not a top 5 job any longer, sorry to say. If it was would have gotten who we wanted.

There’s another factor at play. Cal was a big figure. Casts a huge shadow. I don’t think a lot of people wanted to follow that act.

If Pope doesn’t succeed, there will be more interested candidates next go round because the narrative of “following Cal” becomes “resurrecting UK”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT