ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky at Missouri (Rubber Match)

Ritter makes a good play but the throw from his knees is poor and it's another run. 10-6

I remember at the end of the season last year we all agreed giving Mingione this year would only be dragging on the inevitable. And here we are with another wasted season. Good times.
Yep it was mentioned a few times.

Lead off walk. Our pitchers really miss. I mean MISS! We bounce a ton of pitches and really make the catchers work. Seems to have been that way for 3 seasons.
The catchers get back at them with careless tosses back to the mound. Rubalcaba nearly threw the ball over Guilfoil's head. Always good to make a pitcher who is struggling with control have to leap to get the ball back for the next pitch.

The catchers get back at them with careless tosses back to the mound. Rubalcaba nearly threw the ball over Guilfoil's head. Always good to make a pitcher who is struggling with control have to leap to get the ball back for the next pitch.
Lol. I saw that. We may need the 2B and SS to both cross and back up the throw back to the pitcher like in LL.

That disaster of a 3rd inning reminded me a lot of the Florida game last year. It just looked like the team quit. All while Mingione was smiling and laughing in the dugout. The only thing funny is him thinking he’s a head coach.

That's another part of Lawson v. Ming that stands out. I don't watch the softball team a ton but any time I've watched them she is engaged and focused entirely on the game. She's not sitting on the bench or cracking up with players. She's constantly coaching. Ming seems like a hype man, not a coach.

Probably the last chance for a series win. SCAR's a possibility, other weekends are doubtful....pretty much cemented themselves in the SEC cellar.

Still a lot of teams at the bottom but Missouri and Ole Miss hold tie breakers over UK. So we have to finish a game ahead of them. Right now I'd say we're closer to not making the SEC tournament than we are to making the NCAA tournament.

If mingione is coaching here next year I won’t watch a second. It’s time to move on and hopefully Mitch hires someone who can lead us out of the bottom and take this program to a new level.
After NM's first year ...everybody thought he was the ONE, I know I sure did, but it's turned out to be a disaster. Not another school in the SEC would stand for this. My buddies and l went to EVERY game in the regional that first year and I'm telling you it was an absolute blast. I LOVE baseball and would love for UK to be competitive, but sadly l certainly can't see it happening under NM. One thing's for sure, there's no excuse left for it not to happen. Look @U6, Vandy, IU, UT and many others with the same obstacles as UK has.

Hate to be this way, but I hope we don’t make the SEC tourney so that guarantees Ming is gone. Great speaker, terrible baseball coach.
I just feel like 2017 was a fluke and that we're rarely going to be better than we were like a year ago. More likely to be like 2019 than 2017. That isn't competitive in this league and we shouldn't stand for it.

I just feel like 2017 was a fluke and that we're rarely going to be better than we were like a year ago. More likely to be like 2019 than 2017. That isn't competitive in this league and we shouldn't stand for it.
The 2017 team had a lot of talent. Several guys collecting checks at different levels. Dare I say, we possibly under achieved ???
Evan White was a hitting machine that season
Becker and Mahan were bulldogs
Tristan Pompey was great in some big moments
Pitching staff was loaded
Coach inherited quit a team IMHO

If mingione is coaching here next year I won’t watch a second. It’s time to move on and hopefully Mitch hires someone who can lead us out of the bottom and take this program to a new level.
If Mingione is retained, fans will be very unhappy. Recruiting will be horrible. Program heading in the wrong direction. Mitch can’t justify keeping him.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
That disaster of a 3rd inning reminded me a lot of the Florida game last year. It just looked like the team quit. All while Mingione was smiling and laughing in the dugout. The only thing funny is him thinking he’s a head coach.
Cohen recommended him to Mitch. I hope Mitch figured out to not listen to him anymore.

Reactions: Basil Cat
After NM's first year ...everybody thought he was the ONE, I know I sure did, but it's turned out to be a disaster. Not another school in the SEC would stand for this. My buddies and l went to EVERY game in the regional that first year and I'm telling you it was an absolute blast. I LOVE baseball and would love for UK to be competitive, but sadly l certainly can't see it happening under NM. One thing's for sure, there's no excuse left for it not to happen. Look @U6, Vandy, IU, UT and many others with the same obstacles as UK has.
UK administration excuse book has been used up for several years now. When your first two years are your best, that’s not a good sign.

Hate to be this way, but I hope we don’t make the SEC tourney so that guarantees Ming is gone. Great speaker, terrible baseball coach.
I said the same thing last year. I look at it as addition by subtraction.

The 2017 team had a lot of talent. Several guys collecting checks at different levels. Dare I say, we possibly under achieved ???
Evan White was a hitting machine that season
Becker and Mahan were bulldogs
Tristan Pompey was great in some big moments
Pitching staff was loaded
Coach inherited quit a team IMHO

To be fair to Mingione... that team had some big question marks going in. As I recall, they didn't return a single SEC starter. So we had to replace all 3 weekend guys and we moved Hjelle from the closer to the Friday starter. Then everyone hit way better than they ever had. Most prominent was the SS, whose name escapes me.

Not only did the Cats lose a series which likely ended their realistic hopes to make the NCAA, but tomorrow I get to go to Dodger Stadium to see the Reds play. I do get to see the 2020 world champions play if only versus a pretty darn solid AA baseball club

Last edited:
To be fair to Mingione... that team had some big question marks going in. As I recall, they didn't return a single SEC starter. So we had to replace all 3 weekend guys and we moved Hjelle from the closer to the Friday starter. Then everyone hit way better than they ever had. Most prominent was the SS, whose name escapes me.
I think it was Connor Heady. Respectfully I believe most of the questions surrounded a new staff, obviously I know. Regardless the team had lots of talent explode that year whether it was expected or not.

Also , you know things are bad when Kyle Tucker is tweeting about the baseball teams leadership / performance. Glad to see baseball getting some attention outside this board lol.

Reactions: SeanCain
I think it was Connor Heady. Respectfully I believe most of the questions surrounded a new staff, obviously I know. Regardless the team had lots of talent explode that year whether it was expected or not.

That was it. But as I recall, there was a lot of nervousness on how we find 3 SEC starters. Lewis was another and he was a sophomore I believe but hadn't pitched much due to injury. Then I think Logue had been a midweek starter but not particularly sharp. But a lot of guys came in and performed much better than they had previously, which gave me a lot of hope.

Reactions: Basil Cat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT