ADVERTISEMENT

KenPom Just Dropped

It’s a basketball board and I didn’t see a thread. Surprisingly Auburn is ahead of Bama. Thought you all would want to know. If not, no worries.
Fair enough, a lot of fans of other fanbases on here just come to stir shit up. To answer the original question Kentucky is lower than I think they should be. Kentucky be around around 22-30. Arkansas around 15-25, and Auburn shouldn’t be ahead of bama

Reactions: Hogs1988
Fair enough, a lot of fans of other fanbases on here just come to stir shit up. To answer the original question Kentucky is lower than I think they should be. Kentucky be around around 22-30. Arkansas around 15-25, and Auburn shouldn’t be ahead of bama
It’s all just guessing for now, anyways. Both teams will be good.

Just FYI. Thought you all would be interested.
Animation Pink GIF by Ana Caro

To the extent any statistical analysis went into this, I’m sure having a number of guys from middling to bad teams last year factored into it. Drexel, OSU, OU, wake and WVU didn’t exactly light the world on fire and we’re depending on transfers from those schools to carry the load.

Reactions: UKortho
It's meaningless until there are games played, I would say at least 5 per team. So, any modeling right now, has way too many assumptions to be valid.
This is coming from a Statistician who has developed a model.

All the critics really seem to think well be a middle of the pack team next year. I know its Popes first year and he had to do a full rebuild so I wont hold it against him.

I do hope were a top 25 team though :)

#42??!! That's hilarious. It's going to be awesome way outperforming national expectations this year vs what we had been doing for many years now.
It has 9 SEC schools ranked above us. Our SEC record will determine our national ranking. First year coach with total rebuild has a ton to do with our ranking. I do think we will outperform our ranking. 10 teams will not make tourney from SEC so we will have to out perform Kenpom's bullshvt.

Just looked. He has us losing 4 of the last 5 games and 4 in a row starting with the Jan 7th game. Total record is projected at 18-13 (8-10).

Just looked. He has us losing 4 of the last 5 games and 4 in a row starting with the Jan 7th game. Total record is projected at 18-13 (8-10).
Nah. If someone wants to believe we could lose 4/5 to start SEC play... ok, that's whatever. But this team is not finishing the season like that. And I don't even have to look at the schedule. I expect us to be a real problem by the end of conf play.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I just hope our delusional fans do not turn on Coach Pope. I hope they understand he can't be expected to turn this program around year one with a total rebuild through the portal

I just hope our delusional fans do not turn on Coach Pope. I hope they understand he can't be expected to turn this program around year one with a total rebuild through the portal
Barring a disaster (KP in Louisville), he should get 3 years to build a contender.

Reactions: Edgarman
Barring a disaster (KP in Louisville), he should get 3 years to build a contender.
I'd like to see him get 4 or 5. I'm sure fans won't be THAT forgiving. But I think there's a real chance he gets some guys to stay for the full 4 years, especially the way he's gone out and targeted KY kids.

I actually think this year is going to go better than we initially thought. I think a sweet 16 is very realistic. And I think if he can do that early, he buys a lot of grace going forward. His teams should only get better.

To the extent any statistical analysis went into this, I’m sure having a number of guys from middling to bad teams last year factored into it. Drexel, OSU, OU, wake and WVU didn’t exactly light the world on fire and we’re depending on transfers from those schools to carry the load.
Don't try to reason on this board. It's not wanted.

But, yeah, I agree.

I can see a scenario this team is a few games over .500 and middle of the pack in conference. I also see a scenario it wins 25 games and is top 3 in conference. My gut tells me it's a roughly 10 loss team, somewhere around 4-6 in conference and a 5/6 seed in the tourney.

Don't try to reason on this board. It's not wanted.

But, yeah, I agree.

I can see a scenario this team is a few games over .500 and middle of the pack in conference. I also see a scenario it wins 25 games and is top 3 in conference. My gut tells me it's a roughly 10 loss team, somewhere around 4-6 in conference and a 5/6 seed in the tourney.
20-11 (10-8) is likely and not horrible under the circumstances.

Reactions: Eagles_Ball
If we have to be in the 40s.. whatever I guess. BUT the real head scratcher is BYU being 20 spots higher.. with a ton of roster turnover and a BRAND new college coach. He has never been a head coach in college and I believe his highest position was assistant. Then he spent the last 7 or 8 years in the NBA. This guy is very unproven at this level. And it seem BYU took a big swing on him.

So how come we're not giving Pope, who was already a HC, the benefit of the doubt, now that he's at a real program with resources ... but we will for a guy who has very little actual coaching experience, first time running the show, in a conference that's going to be just as difficult as the SEC. With Pope it's "well let's wait and see" but with Kevin Young I guess he's just going to have them rolling day1?

Make it make sense.

20-11 (10-8) is likely and not horrible under the circumstances.
Agreed. It's a lot of new guys meshed together. It's also a lot of guys that were just okay players on just okay teams. But there is a lot of experience. Gates had success his first year at Mizzou doing basically the same thing, but he had Kobe Brown. Ditto for Otzelberger with Iowa State his first year there, granted they were 7-11 in conference. The BigXII was the best conference in the nation that year too. Those are the two best comps I can come up with off the top of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT