ADVERTISEMENT

Kawhi Leonard to Toronto, Spurs get DeRozan

Ok who is better? TO still has the underwhelming Lowry at PG? And Derozan dosent lock it up on D like KL.

Ibaka, Danny Green, Lowry, and now Kawhi makes a solid core.

Derozan is not getting replaced with he best 2-way player in the NBA. You also slide Danny Green into the 2-guard role and he is a much better shooter...so is Kawhi. A lot better defensively and now a better shooting team.

Toronto now has the best player in the East(if/when healthy?)...do they have the best team...maybe

Reports coming out that Kawhi already doesn't want to play in Toronto..

Is he the Primadonna of this era's NBA? Starting to look like he's been the catalyst in all of this nonsense.
37342011_2189107914469286_243255926759358464_o.jpg

post.php

Sort of odd for Raptors. I get they dumped Derozan contract and save a ton of money, but you are getting a 1 year rental in Kawhi. No possible way he signs a deal after this year with Toronto. He is headed to Hollywood to team up with LeBron. Much better deal for Spurs as they get a legit all star, and serviceable big in Poetl, and a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Ok who is better? TO still has the underwhelming Lowry at PG? And Derozan dosent lock it up on D like KL.

what do you mean who is better? (not sure what you are saying)

This is a win-win for both Spurs and Toronto.

If Toronto can keep Kawhi (highly unlikely), that's huge upgrade. Not sure why people think Demar is anywhere near ballpark of Kawhi when fully healthy. TO was #1 seed with Demar...with Kawhi, that's exponentially better team.

Sort of odd for Raptors. I get they dumped Derozan contract and save a ton of money, but you are getting a 1 year rental in Kawhi. No possible way he signs a deal after this year with Toronto. He is headed to Hollywood to team up with LeBron. Much better deal for Spurs as they get a legit all star, and serviceable big in Poetl, and a 1st round pick.
But the pick the Raptors gave up will be a bottom 5 first round pick...and if Kawhi leaves...then they won't be saddled with big contracts and they can get going on a rebuild.

its pretty even trade. Spurs aren't getting anywhere near the star of Kawhi. The gap between Demar and Kawhi is huge, and the trade doesn't really offset that.

If Kawhi stays in Toronto and stays healthy, spurs got what they could have with the condition they were in, but Raptors completely win the trade.

They are going out swinging with this. We'll see. I think they'll lose Kawhi, but they get Demar's contract off. Might as well restart the rebuild.

its pretty even trade. Spurs aren't getting anywhere near the star of Kawhi. The gap between Demar and Kawhi is huge, and the trade doesn't really offset that.

If Kawhi stays in Toronto and stays healthy, spurs got what they could have with the condition they were in, but Raptors completely win the trade.

They are going out swinging with this. We'll see. I think they'll lose Kawhi, but they get Demar's contract off. Might as well restart the rebuild.

I feel like the Spurs win huge

Derozan is probably the best player they were going to get. I think Papavich can coach him up and get a more efficient game out of him.

I don't think Derozan is near the player that Kawhai is, but now you don't lose him for nothing.

I 100% believe KL bolts for the Lakers after 1 year. I don't believe this makes the Raptors the favorites in the East, let alone the NBA.

Reactions: Fox2monk and MWes11
But the pick the Raptors gave up will be a bottom 5 first round pick...and if Kawhi leaves...then they won't be saddled with big contracts and they can get going on a rebuild.

Still.. if they wanted to rebuild, you try and get draft picks for derozan, not give them up, to take on a player who might be proving to be a bit of a head-case.

Toronto might be trying to rebuild, but they are taking a long road to get there.

Also, Dwane Casey.. lol. What a circus.

Reactions: Cindog28 and MWes11
Still.. if they wanted to rebuild, you try and get draft picks for derozan, not give them up, to take on a player who might be proving to be a bit of a head-case.

Toronto might be trying to rebuild, but they are taking a long road to get there.

Also, Dwane Casey.. lol. What a circus.
But this move is the move to win a championship

Top 5 players...with a Finals MVP and DPOY in their prime don't come into your organization very often. They also have a good supporting cast around him and now a great chance to play in the NBA Finals. This is not a rebuild.

Look at every franchise...how often to "rebuilds" work when it comes to getting to the Finals or getting an elite superstar? Not often. This is a risk worth taking...if they don't take it...they fall slowly with an aging/uninspiring core that isn't fitting in with the modern game....and end up rebuilding anyways.

Now...they have a chance to compete for a title and maybe sign Kawhi back. If they don't, then they can rebuild sooner and now they have the BAD Derozan contract off the booth.

Like the poster said above, Kawhi has no desire to be in Toronto. With all his antics lately, wouldn't surprise me if he takes a bunch of games off this year as well with an "injury". He wants to be in LA. He seems to be becoming more and more of a bitch as far as if he doesn't get what he wants he is going to take his ball and go home.

Toronto had the second best record in the NBA last year. Lebron is out of the east now and Kawhi is better than DeRozan. I don’t know if Kawhi will play or give 100% effort. But if they can convince him to play and play hard (which he should otherwise he’s seriously jeapordizing his contract the following year) the Raptors could make the finals for the first time in franchise history.

Like the poster said above, Kawhi has no desire to be in Toronto. With all his antics lately, wouldn't surprise me if he takes a bunch of games off this year as well with an "injury". He wants to be in LA. He seems to be becoming more and more of a bitch as far as if he doesn't get what he wants he is going to take his ball and go home.
And if he takes off another year for an "injury"...during a contract year....?

That will make 2 years off playing in actual games for a mysterious injury all while forcing one team to trade him and refusing to play for another...heading to his 3rd team in 3 years.

That will cost him a lot of $$$$$$$. He has to play well to earn his max deal.

Reactions: Fox2monk
@HoptownCat93 IF they get that version of Kawhi. I don't think it's a matter of getting a worse version.. it's by how much. Toronto is not going to win anything with a player who doesn't want to be there.

I don't know why teams aren't eyeing 2019 FA and the 2020 season. WHat are they truly contending for with GSW having that monster team? Toronto should have dumped Derozan for picks and started building from there.. NOT give away a pick for a 1-year Kawhi headache.

And if he takes off another year for an "injury"...during a contract year....?

That will make 2 years off playing in actual games for a mysterious injury all while forcing one team to trade him and refusing to play for another...heading to his 3rd team in 3 years.

That will cost him a lot of $$$$$$$. He has to play well to earn his max deal.
Not saying he is taking the whole year off, but he will sit more games than he should. I honestly believe he has talked to the Lakers already and there is zero doubt in my mind he ends up there next year when he is a free agent. It is the only place he wants to be. He is getting the max deal next year whether he plays 82 games, or 65 games if he is healthy.

Either way, they aren't getting by the Celtics or Sixers, imo. If your second best option is Kyle Lowry, you are in trouble.

But, point taken that he can't be a dickbag for 2 years in a row. the media won't buy that he did this to two franchises now and no one will want him.

Still, You can say the Cavs are worse.. but no way Boston doesn't take their spot. Seems like more of the same from Toronto, but now with not as bright of a future (assuming Leonard leaves..)

Not saying he is taking the whole year off, but he will sit more games than he should. I honestly believe he has talked to the Lakers already and there is zero doubt in my mind he ends up there next year when he is a free agent. It is the only place he wants to be. He is getting the max deal next year whether he plays 82 games, or 65 games if he is healthy.

I believe the Lakers can offer him about 80 million less than if he would have stayed in San Antonio, and they can only offer four years where the Raptors could still offer five.

Reactions: MWes11
I believe the Lakers can offer him about 80 million less than if he would have stayed in San Antonio, and they can only offer four years where the Raptors could still offer five.
Yeah I believe you are right. But it won't matter if the Raptors can offer him 5, he isn't re-signing there.

I get the Raptors salary dump with the Derozan move, I just think they went the wrong route with a 1 year rental in Kawhi and giving up a 1st round pick. I think they could've got a lot more from another team who was willing to give up picks and young prospects for Derozan, especially at the trade deadline mid season to a contender who felt Derozan could take them to the next level. .

Reports coming out that Kawhi already doesn't want to play in Toronto..

Is he the Primadonna of this era's NBA? Starting to look like he's been the catalyst in all of this nonsense.
37342011_2189107914469286_243255926759358464_o.jpg

post.php

You are conveniently ignoring the reports that Derozan doesn't want to go to San Antonio.

Now just wait... in a few months the Raptors will flip Kawhi (and possibly Green) to the Lakers for some young players.

Everyone knows Kawhi wants to go to LA and will not resign in Toronto. Lebron isn't going to want to waste this season, so he'll pressure management to get a deal done.

Yeah I believe you are right. But it won't matter if the Raptors can offer him 5, he isn't re-signing there.

I get the Raptors salary dump with the Derozan move, I just think they went the wrong route with a 1 year rental in Kawhi and giving up a 1st round pick.

It's a protected 1st round pick that becomes 2 second rounders after a year.

The Raptors won this trade.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Danny Green is a role player at best lol. Poetl has more potential. Raptors GM should be shamed endlessly

Looks like that Canadian weather is going to cause a quad flare up, and kawhi will sit out all year, if not traded again.

You are conveniently ignoring the reports that Derozan doesn't want to go to San Antonio.

I mean, I posted my reports..

I don't like either player TBH. Demar isn't that dude, he's not an Alpha and couldn't handle the playoffs. Kawhi quit on his team. I wouldn't want either of them on my team, unless, I guess, it's the most absolute place they want to play.. But if it's anything that isn't exactly what they want (city, coaching, etc).. they will be team cancers.

Still, It seems that both teams are taking each other's baggage.. but Spurs got a player and a 1st round pick, along with the lesser head-ache (even if said head-ache is a better talent).

But this move is the move to win a championship

Top 5 players...with a Finals MVP and DPOY in their prime don't come into your organization very often. They also have a good supporting cast around him and now a great chance to play in the NBA Finals. This is not a rebuild.

Look at every franchise...how often to "rebuilds" work when it comes to getting to the Finals or getting an elite superstar? Not often. This is a risk worth taking...if they don't take it...they fall slowly with an aging/uninspiring core that isn't fitting in with the modern game....and end up rebuilding anyways.

Now...they have a chance to compete for a title and maybe sign Kawhi back. If they don't, then they can rebuild sooner and now they have the BAD Derozan contract off the booth.

Derozan is owed 83 million
Except they got him for 2 years, with a player option for the 3rd.

Better to get an all star for a couple years than dome young guys who may or may not work out.

Still, It seems that both teams are taking each other's baggage.. but Spurs got a player and a 1st round pick, along with the lesser head-ache (even if said head-ache is a better talent).

The Spurs got a top 20 protected pick that turns into 2 second round picks after a year.

Raptors won 59 games last year...with Demar Derozan...

That team was well rounded team, basically they got better because they utilized everyone more than focused on DD and KL. With Kawhi, they actually now have the best player in Eastern Conference.

if Kawhi does play, that's a good 60+ team. Arguably go from starless team with 59 wins, to Team with a star that wins 60+. That's a legit good team, and would be good finals potential.

Its a risk worth taking. They weren't going to win with Demar Derozan, but now with Kawhi they have a chance.

you have to take that risk. It'll probably backfire, but it's not all doom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT