ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas loses another one

I thought Duke was widely considered the shoo-in.
Possibly, before Roach and McCain bailed. They’re going to be good, but no more formidable than they were with Jabari Parker, Jayson Tatum and of course the Zion/Barrett team. I’ve never been a Tyrese Proctor fan. I guess he still has time to figure it out but I’ve never understood the allure.

But they get Prickerson back! I mean Dickenson. He was just such a difference maker for them last year!

I know Cal killed us again, but I will never, not ever, stop rejoicing when those Jailhawks get knocked out before the second weekend.

We could be 0-40 and I would still be happy when they lose. Same goes for EweTee. Screw em both.

Reactions: Fox2monk
In addition to Furphy and Kugel, they have now lost Elmarko Jackson for this season. I know they supposedly got the greatest incoming class/transfer portal ever, but I need the pundits to slow their rolls. They have practically shipped them the title already.
That a big loss for them, typically Self guys really come on their second and third years, they still have Harris somehow but nobody to back him up now. They have a loaded roster but it’s all on the wings and forwards. LaBaronPhilion loss is big now.

Reactions: HAWK1962
Really at this moment everyone and I mean that is chasing UCONN and Hurley. Kansas will be good how good we shall see.

Reactions: HAWK1962
Kansas looks to be very thin again. They obviously have some good college players, but some flawed ones they rely a lot on as well. In my opinion, Harris has the ability to be a much better PG, but he is too passive to take full advantage of his skills. And who is supposed to help him at the PG spot? Adams at PF is little more than an athlete. I would kind of compare him to a very poor man's Poythress, but he's not nearly as fluid of an athlete as Poythress and much less skilled. Kansas' wings are good pieces but seem duplicative as much as additive.

What a shitty ****ing program lol. They don't care who they recruit over. Not sure why any player would choose to go there, knowing Self would take a convicted felon over them in a heartbeat.
BS. EVERY team (including UK) recruits over players. The name of the game is to amass the most talent / best team possible. There is no "nice guy" approach to the team building if you have any ambitions of winning. If you can improve the team, you do it, just like the players will look for the best option for THEM, coaches do the same. Dog eat dog world, if you are not thinking that way, you will get left behind.

Kansas looks to be very thin again. They obviously have some good college players, but some flawed ones they rely a lot on as well. In my opinion, Harris has the ability to be a much better PG, but he is too passive to take full advantage of his skills. And who is supposed to help him at the PG spot? Adams at PF is little more than an athlete. I would kind of compare him to a very poor man's Poythress, but he's not nearly as fluid of an athlete as Poythress and much less skilled. Kansas' wings are good pieces but seem duplicative as much as additive.
Still with Harris, Adams, Dickinson, and Storr they will be good for sure. I agree some of the pieces don’t fit and the lack of guards will be hard to over come.

Reactions: G-PIP
BS. EVERY team (including UK) recruits over players. The name of the game is to amass the most talent / best team possible. There is no "nice guy" approach to the team building if you have any ambitions of winning. If you can improve the team, you do it, just like the players will look for the best option for THEM, coaches do the same. Dog eat dog world, if you are not thinking that way, you will get left behind.

NOBODY does it like Kansas though, and that's facts. What is this, their THIRD guy who decommitted after just committing there, all due to changes in the roster? Sure doesn't seem like Pope is willing to just take any 1-5 starting spot at this current time. He seems content with his roster save for a few possibilities left.

Look I agree that coaches now need to play this game, and fill out a roster, but it sure seems that kansas' roster was just fine before they kept trying to grab what might be slightly better talent. I'm not sure that's the right way to do this. Because at some point, players might not bother even looking at Kansas because they know Self will recruit over them at the drop of a hat.

NOBODY does it like Kansas though, and that's facts. What is this, their THIRD guy who decommitted after just committing there, all due to changes in the roster? Sure doesn't seem like Pope is willing to just take any 1-5 starting spot at this current time. He seems content with his roster save for a few possibilities left.

Look I agree that coaches now need to play this game, and fill out a roster, but it sure seems that kansas' roster was just fine before they kept trying to grab what might be slightly better talent. I'm not sure that's the right way to do this. Because at some point, players might not bother even looking at Kansas because they know Self will recruit over them at the drop of a hat.
Really now ? He (Pope) signed Garrison and damn near caused Williams to change his mind. Guaran Damn tee you, if he could have got ANY of the top portal guys he was chasing, he would have signed them, players already committed be damned. Example, if you think he could have landed Davis, he wouldn't have ? You are very naive if so. Pope knows his ass is in the spotlight taking this job, he isn't worried about hurting feelings, nor should he be.

Reactions: JASUN74
lol. Duke doesn’t look as good as UK unless that one FR is at the level of Zion or AD.
They are stacked, I mean they finally got some upperclassman help and losing their top 2 older guards and forward hurts but still loaded. If the freshman develop and Flagg is on that level. If Malachi is a legit Center they will be tough. Now will he be more Cousins level or Bradshaw? That’s the question but they have the talent. The transfer they just got from Rice really shores up their lineup IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: JASUN74
Really now ? He (Pope) signed Garrison and damn near caused Williams to change his mind. Guaran Damn tee you, if he could have got ANY of the top portal guys he was chasing, he would have signed them, players already committed be damned. Example, if you think he could have landed Davis, he wouldn't have ? You are very naive if so. Pope knows his ass is in the spotlight taking this job, he isn't worried about hurting feelings, nor should he be.

"Damn near" still means it ultimately didn't happen.

As for the rest, I simply disagree. Kansas now had 3 guys back out, we haven't had anyone leave. That's all the info I need to see Self is doing things differently in Kansas.

Was any of the three players gone expected to be key players or starters ? The 3 guys who signed after them, are they better than the guys who left ? You know, important facts in the equation. So you are telling me that if, say Alex Karaban was interested in leaving UCONN for UK, Pope wouldn't sign him ? Answer that honestly and that will pretty much explain why Self continued to try and sign the best talent possible. I hate Kansas as much as the next person, but trying to make the team better is not a bad thing.

Was any of the three players gone expected to be key players or starters ? The 3 guys who signed after them, are they better than the guys who left ? You know, important facts in the equation. So you are telling me that if, say Alex Karaban was interested in leaving UCONN for UK, Pope wouldn't sign him ? Answer that honestly and that will pretty much explain why Self continued to try and sign the best talent possible. I hate Kansas as much as the next person, but trying to make the team better is not a bad thing.

Im not saying Pope won't EVER recruit over someone else if the opportunity presents itself.

But again, Kansas lost 3 guys that just got recruited over. On top of a roster that many of us already said was suspiciously heavy duplicate pieces and guys who want minutes.

And FURTHER you have a coach (Self) who basically gave up on last year's team to start focusing on the 2024 team. And that's not speculation lol. He admitted it. He totally back the bus over his team and left them out to dry.

At some point the signs point to a coach eho is showing absolutely zero loyalty to his players and I think you need to show at least a LITTLE bit to make this era of basketball work.

"Damn near" still means it ultimately didn't happen.

As for the rest, I simply disagree. Kansas now had 3 guys back out, we haven't had anyone leave. That's all the info I need to see Self is doing things differently in Kansas.
"We haven't had anyone leave" LOL, WTF are you talking about? Fland, Knox, Quantance, Richmond, Big Z, Onyenso, Bradshaw, Burks, Theiro don't count??? Don't let your biases lead you to writing false info.

One guy, Kugel, decommitted at Kansas.

4 5 stars. 2 4 stars. The top forward. The top center. Yeah, they're hurting.
I suppose you mean Duke signed the top forward and top center in the high school recruiting rankings. Because I would bet neither of them is the best forward or the best center in CBB next season. I doubt either will be the best at their position in the ACC next season. And if both are drafted #1 & #2 in the NBA draft after next season that doesn't change a thing about who was the best player at their position.

I'm not claiming that Duke won't be a good team. They might leave our guys in the dust next season. But I'm thrilled UK won't be relying on freshman, and as long as there's a one-and-done rule and an open transfer portal I'm hoping Duke lands and starts the top 5 ranked high school players every year.

No, none of them count. They left due to coaching change, not being recruited over.

Dude.. what is going on here lol.. Is this the twilight zone?

Also, can I get a twilight zone episode predictive model?

(I hope you know that this entire joke is me making fun of the people who kept asking you to fix the model to their liking)

Reactions: BBUK and Fox2monk
"We haven't had anyone leave" LOL, WTF are you talking about? Fland, Knox, Quantance, Richmond, Big Z, Onyenso, Bradshaw, Burks, Theiro don't count??? Don't let your biases lead you to writing false info.
Nobody has left under our current coach, those guys left because of Cal.

Almost like the coach that recruited them......left.....Naaah.

If Hurley leaves, I could definitely see Kansas going after a player or two. Norlander said that Self was looking for another player even before Jackson got hurt, so even though they replaced him, it would stand to reason that they would still be interested in adding one more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT