ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Edwards

Jan 5, 2018
Where do we stand 17 games in? What can he bring to this team? Is it a fit issue, or was he just overrated? I hope he improves.

He needs to play 7-10 mins a game until he proves he’s better than that.

At this point his primary value is just filling mins at the 3. Without Thiero, we have Dilly, DJ, Shep, Reeves, and Edwards to play 120 mins in spots 1-3. DJ and Dilly are too small for the 3. So that leaves Reeves, Reed, and Edwards for that spot. He’s not a major liability just not a big asset either. He can make plays but they’re too infrequent to count on him for major mins.

Just my opinion obviously.

My honest opinion is he could sit the bench the rest of the year and this team wouldn't miss a beat but probably improve statistically. He has potential to be a good player down the road but his hands have to get a lot stronger. He has a decent looking shot but he doesn't have the basketball iq to really help this team at the moment.

He is fine. The thing that he can do most to help this team out is be the guy who does it all. Be the hustle guy, the defensive stopper, the guy with the motor that never stops.

I will say that when he drives and is aggressive like he wants to rip the rim off the backboard, there isn’t much that will stop him, he just needs to do that more often.

Give him the same minutes he's been getting, if not less, but bring him off the bench both to start the game and to start the second half. We just play better when he's not in the lineup and I'd rather get off to better starts to start the game and to start the second half. Momentum matters.

He is fine. The thing that he can do most to help this team out is be the guy who does it all. Be the hustle guy, the defensive stopper, the guy with the motor that never stops.

I will say that when he drives and is aggressive like he wants to rip the rim off the backboard, there isn’t much that will stop him, he just needs to do that more often.
Huh? When has he done that? He’s arguably our worst finisher at the rim lol

He’s not fine and doesn’t do much of anything much less all. His last two drives to the basket have both resulted in misses as they were very slightly contested. D1 players do not miss those. Defensively he’s not helping either. He just seems lost as he has never struggled this much before. If I’m cal I sit down with him and tell him you are going to be a great ball player, I still believe in you, but this team has other guys that are just performing better and I want you to help support those guys in what can be a special season. You are going to be playing less but still a very important part of this team but in a backup role that I need you to be ready when called upon. Don’t hang your head but use it as a opportunity to grow in the game, give me all you got when called upon because it’s only a matter of time before your time to shine will come. Just play loose. have fun and enjoy the process of this transition and above all else don’t forget that you are going to be great.

He’s a solid but not spectacular piece. Fair defensively. Fair offensively.

Needs to hustle. Hit the boards. Knock down open looks.

Probably should get a little better at sharing the wealth, especially consider how good some of his teammates are offensively.

beat-dead-horse.jpg

Probably should get a little better at sharing the wealth, especially consider how good some of his teammates are offensively.
Hustle!!! With Thiero coming back (hopefully) he needs to at the very least match Adou's intensity. We're 17 games in now, 3 more to go before Tennessee. If not by then, sorry about your luck.

I feel bad for him. He did something to earn those stars. The “First pick in the draft” talk was outlandish but I watched him in the All-Star games and thought he could be James Young. He frustrates me but it’s because I bought into the hype manufactured by the pundits. His shot is fine and I haven’t seen him pout. I hope his inner circle convinces him to return next year because he could make a huge leap if he works on his handle and gets in better shape.

I agree….edwards is not as good as he was supposed to be, but he is also not as bad as some make him out to be. I don’t really think we need more threads and comments doggin the kid out. He takes the floor for us and does good things at times. His minutes have gone down, as they should have. I say let’s leave the kid alone

It just hasn't clicked for him yet. But I still like him getting around 10 minutes a game. It's not like he's giving nothing out there. He still provides a little production, plays with a smile on his face. He needs time on the court to improve. This team is stacked, but if he improves it takes us to another level.

I do hope he makes a return (unless he just goes bonkers the rest of the season). We need depth next year and I could see him having a monster 2nd year.

We got great things going on with this team, Big Z getting elgible and going global. Thiero is able to start to work out and we got negative nancies going straight to our weak link 9th man who is starting to show improvement. He is a freshman. Give it a rest. Ridiculous.
Go Cats!!

i mean we have seen plenty of guys come in and work. The guards we have make it easy there is so much space. He just is not ready yet and needs to see his role diminish unless he earns more through his play

Reactions: March 22
He definitely shouldn’t get “Earned Not Given” tattooed across his chest.

I do hope he makes a return (unless he just goes bonkers the rest of the season).
Yeah, I bet he's crazy yearning to return after fans go out of their way to slag him multiple times a day for weeks on end.

Reverse Stalkers. If that's not a thing, it should be. Frankly it's at least as creepy as ordinary Stalkers.

I am not sure what you have seen from Edwards that meets the definition of solid. With all of the talent on this team, it makes no sense to use up valuable minutes on someone who isn't producing at the level of so many others. Cal is doing him no favors by starting him which causes him to play against the opponents' best players. He would be far better off coming off the bench because he would be playing against lesser competition which might give him a chance to gain some confidence and become productive.

Last edited:
If he doesn’t turn it on soon, he is going to be down to spot minutes by March.

Cal usually gets down to his top 8 by March and he’s barely number 9 right now and when Thiero gets back he is pushed down to 10.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The game is to fast for him right now. I have no idea when thing come into focus for him but right now he is more of a negative than a positive when he is on the floor.

I don't like writing that either. I hope things click for him soon.

He's awkward and you can tell he's overthinking everything.

I'd keep starting him unless he has the courage to say, "Coach, bring me in off the bench. There's other guys who deserve my spot right now."

Maybe Cal's been waiting for that from him, but you can also tell that Edwards is one of the pampered players who Cal refers to in the post games who's not used to having a lesser role.

If he's not clicking my early February, go with the three-guard lineup and bring him in off the bench and subsequently decrease his minutes.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He’s not fine and doesn’t do much of anything much less all. His last two drives to the basket have both resulted in misses as they were very slightly contested. D1 players do not miss those. Defensively he’s not helping either. He just seems lost as he has never struggled this much before. If I’m cal I sit down with him and tell him you are going to be a great ball player, I still believe in you, but this team has other guys that are just performing better and I want you to help support those guys in what can be a special season. You are going to be playing less but still a very important part of this team but in a backup role that I need you to be ready when called upon. Don’t hang your head but use it as a opportunity to grow in the game, give me all you got when called upon because it’s only a matter of time before your time to shine will come. Just play loose. have fun and enjoy the process of this transition and above all else don’t forget that you are going to be great.
I agree with everything but the empty platitudes. If he becomes great, it will be because he puts in the work and not because of what Cal tells him. Edwards' future success is in his hands and only he can decide to put in the work to get his body right and work on the mechanics of the game.

He's awkward and you can tell he's overthinking everything.

I'd keep starting him unless he has the courage to say, "Coach, bring me in off the bench. There's other guys who deserve my spot right now."

Maybe Cal's been waiting for that from him, but you can also tell that Edwards is one of the pampered players who Cal refers to in the post games who's not used to having a lesser role.

If he's not clicking my early February, go with the three-guard lineup and bring him in off the bench and subsequently decrease his minutes.
Yep. I still think he got off to a bad start and the thoughts started swirling in his head, expectations of play, expectations of draft position, expectations of #1 pick hype, and he's just never been able to recover. He doesn't seem to have a killer instinct at all. Hopefully he can eventually, whether this year or not, get it together because generally that type of hype isn't unfounded.

I feel bad for him. He did something to earn those stars. The “First pick in the draft” talk was outlandish but I watched him in the All-Star games and thought he could be James Young. He frustrates me but it’s because I bought into the hype manufactured by the pundits. His shot is fine and I haven’t seen him pout. I hope his inner circle convinces him to return next year because he could make a huge leap if he works on his handle and gets in better shape.
“His inner circle “ are the ones applying pressure and will be the ones that push him to leave .

Yep. I still think he got off to a bad start and the thoughts started swirling in his head, expectations of play, expectations of draft position, expectations of #1 pick hype, and he's just never been able to recover. He doesn't seem to have a killer instinct at all. Hopefully he can eventually, whether this year or not, get it together because generally that type of hype isn't unfounded.
Starting him is only adding more pressure on him because he knows he isn't playing well enough to start. So, he comes out every game pressing to show that he is worthy and when it doesn't go well, it just makes matters worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT