ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Edwards

I think it’s a basketball IQ problem honestly. The core of this team knows how to play basketball DJ, Rob, Reed, Reeves, Mitchell and from the looks of it Z all not only react to what the other team is doing physically, but understand the concepts of how they are being defended and how to attack it. If you aren’t those guys you need to be bringing energy and hustle like Thiero, Burks, and even Bradshaw to an extent. Edwards does not do that.

I feel bad for him. He did something to earn those stars. The “First pick in the draft” talk was outlandish but I watched him in the All-Star games and thought he could be James Young. He frustrates me but it’s because I bought into the hype manufactured by the pundits. His shot is fine and I haven’t seen him pout. I hope his inner circle convinces him to return next year because he could make a huge leap if he works on his handle and gets in better shape.
I think he earned those stars by showing a lot of potential. He still has that, but he’s not in high school anymore and he’s really going to have to work extremely hard to eventually be one of the better CBB players at any position (stretch 4 or SF). Expecting that incoming 5-star high school players are going to be the best players at their positions as freshmen in college – or even one of the best – is just not reality all that often. And not coming to grips with what the stars by a high school players name are generally meant to convey (future potential) is where I believe the fan expectation problem often comes.

But I agree with you that I would like to see him return and work on the things you mentioned. Plus, I personally think his perimeter shot needs a ton of repetition. I think his 3pt. shot may look ok, but I think it's basically a hope and a prayer when he fires it up at this point.

I agree with everything but the empty platitudes. If he becomes great, it will be because he puts in the work and not because of what Cal tells him. Edwards' future success is in his hands and only he can decide to put in the work to get his body right and work on the mechanics of the game.
Well that part is about keeping confidence instilled in him which is a tricky thing to do when you are telling someone their role will be diminished. Could add, you are going to be great but it’s up to you to make that happen as you can see it isn’t easy. It takes hard work, perseverance, a positive can do attitude, and always expecting more of yourself no matter your level of play.

Personally I do think he can get there, it’s just not going to be this year and cal can’t sacrifice this teams success trying to make it happen. Nothing says you have to be great at age 18 or 19 to make the NBA. Terrence Jones came back and had a solid nba career and I do believe Edwards has more offensive potential than jones had. Hes nowhere near the bulldog but maybe that is something he can develop.

This will never happen but when Adou comes back and the emergence of Big Z, I prefer if he got 0 minutes and focused on the gym and getting better for next year. I don't see him coming back next year regardless though whether he gets guaranteed a second round pick or transfers. I think Justin Edwards the guy is a great teammate overall he just for the time being doesn't benefit us on any facet of the game.

He played 13 mins yesterday. If Thiero gets back, could be less than that.

His minutes will go down, as they should.

But I’m glad we have him and I think he will prove that before it’s over.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Starting him is only adding more pressure on him because he knows he isn't playing well enough to start. So, he comes out every game pressing to show that he is worthy and when it doesn't go well, it just makes matters worse.
Debatable. Starting him shows the coach still believes in him to be one of the best in the team.

Like it or not but there is a reason top players choose Cal and I'm sure part of that is due to his loyalty and patience with a guy to break through.

I'd be starting someone else by now too but I at least understand what Cal is attempting to do. Is it a fool's errand? Time will tell.

Debatable. Starting him shows the coach still believes in him to be one of the best in the team.

Like it or not but there is a reason top players choose Cal and I'm sure part of that is due to his loyalty and patience with a guy to break through.

I'd be starting someone else by now too but I at least understand what Cal is attempting to do. Is it a fool's errand? Time will tell.
This.

Cal is doing this because he wants the next top 5 guy who is considering UK to say, “Cal didn’t give up on Edwards when he struggled, so he’s not going to give up on me.”

Hopefully Edwards starts playing well soon.

If he can’t get going by the end of February, Cal has to bench him.in March.

Cal usually plays the best 8 or 9 in the postseason. Usually the top 7 get the most minutes. Unless the light comes on soon for Edwards, he should not play much in March. He’s the 9th man at best. And if Thiero gets healthy, he’s 10th man.

He had some moments. 2-3, maybe 4, 5 tops were good the rest were bad. Hopefully by the SEC tournament he's finally found a stride. By the end of that Cal can't afford to give him any more leeway.

The coach can believe all he wants, but the player is the one who has to do it and he knows that he isn't earning his minutes. He knows that no one else would start him playing as poorly as he is playing. I wouldn't be surprised if he is feeling a level guilt receiving playing time ahead of his teammates who are obviously playing much better. His family, friends and coaches might lie to him about his production, but the stats don't lie.

It’s debatable for sure. I think it could also send the message that you can half a$$ it and start here based off your high rank. It could also send a message to lower ranked recruits that they can’t overtake a higher ranked player no matter how much they outperform them.
But it seems to me that even though Edwards is still starting, he’s not in the game at crunch time.

He is fine. The thing that he can do most to help this team out is be the guy who does it all. Be the hustle guy, the defensive stopper, the guy with the motor that never stops.

I will say that when he drives and is aggressive like he wants to rip the rim off the backboard, there isn’t much that will stop him, he just needs to do that more often.
Except he does none of that.

Well that part is about keeping confidence instilled in him which is a tricky thing to do when you are telling someone their role will be diminished. Could add, you are going to be great but it’s up to you to make that happen as you can see it isn’t easy. It takes hard work, perseverance, a positive can do attitude, and always expecting more of yourself no matter your level of play.

Personally I do think he can get there, it’s just not going to be this year and cal can’t sacrifice this teams success trying to make it happen. Nothing says you have to be great at age 18 or 19 to make the NBA. Terrence Jones came back and had a solid nba career and I do believe Edwards has more offensive potential than jones had. Hes nowhere near the bulldog but maybe that is something he can develop.
Just curious, why do you think he can get there? What do you know about this kid other than the stars he came here with and his performance on the court? From what I have seen, there is more of a reason to believe he will never live up to the hype than to believe he will eventually get there. He doesn't shoot well, he doesn't show exceptional athleticism, and he doesn't handle the ball well. So, exactly what potential are you seeing from Edwards?

He is fine. The thing that he can do most to help this team out is be the guy who does it all. Be the hustle guy, the defensive stopper, the guy with the motor that never stops.

I will say that when he drives and is aggressive like he wants to rip the rim off the backboard, there isn’t much that will stop him, he just needs to do that more often.
Absolutely. Not sure about minutes. I hate to read older people ripping someones son or grandson or granddaughter Etc. Some players develop differently and at different speeds. It takes some kids longer to adapt to the speed of the college game. Hopefully he gets good advice and works hard and doesn’t make a bad decision. In a couple years he can fulfill his dream.

The coach can believe all he wants, but the player is the one who has to do it and he knows that he isn't earning his minutes. He knows that no one else would start him playing as poorly as he is playing. I wouldn't be surprised if he is feeling a level guilt receiving playing time ahead of his teammates who are obviously playing much better. His family, friends and coaches might lie to him about his production, but the stats don't lie.
I don't think there is a question if he knows he is under performing and is lacking confidence. Cal simply just doesn't want to pile on that by taking away his starting spot when we already have two bench guys willing to play that role and are doing it well.

The other side of the coin is optics to future top recruits.

Just curious, why do you think he can get there? What do you know about this kid other than the stars he came here with and his performance on the court? From what I have seen, there is more of a reason to believe he will never live up to the hype than to believe he will eventually get there. He doesn't shoot well, he doesn't show exceptional athleticism, and he doesn't handle the ball well. So, exactly what potential are you seeing from Edwards?
I am curious to know what he sees in him as well.

When anyone is enabled it does nobody any good. Fans can see he does not deserve to start or play 22.5 minutes a game
I hope he turns it around cause Cal ain’t going to change nothing

I don't think there is a question if he knows he is under performing and is lacking confidence. Cal simply just doesn't want to pile on that by taking away his starting spot when we already have two bench guys willing to play that role and are doing it well.

I am equally concerned about bad optics. I don't want players believing that Kentucky no longer demands excellence and if you come with enough stars you can start no matter how badly you perform. There is nothing wrong with coaches requiring players to earn their playing time. The NBA won't give playing time based on what players did prior to coming to the NBA.

Last edited:

If a guy can't handle his starting spot taken away because he isn't performing then there are much larger issues with that player and ability to face adversity. It does nothing for Justin to continue to start the games and it actually will get to a point where it can start to hurt his confindence.

If a guy can't handle his starting spot taken away because he isn't performing then there are much larger issues with that player and ability to face adversity. It does nothing for Justin to continue to start the games and it actually will get to a point where it can start to hurt his confindence.
Both of you guys have fair criticism, it's just clear what Cal is attempting to do, you don't have to agree with it.

Based on his play this year alone no I would say he will be going pro in something other than sports. That being said there has to be more to his game than what we have seen for him to be projected as one of the top picks in next years draft prior to the beginning of the season. He does have great mechanics on his shot so I think his shooting percentages will improve. His ball handling ability is ok, not elite, but definitely not Whitney level bad. He needs to learn to play with an edge but overall I just think he’s lost as things aren’t coming easy for him probably for the first time ever and he is probably pressing a bit. Game just needs to slow down for him before he can reach his full potential and see what his possibilities are. That’s going to take at least another year in college and maybe 2 more before he’s ready to move on. Nothing wrong with that at all. I like seeing players in college longer anyway. Different time but MJ played 3 years, would love for the college game to get back to that and quit drafting on BS potential because they are tall and can chew gum and dribble at the same time.

A couple of observations...why is it every time the camera is on Edwards, it looks as though he just finished running 10 miles! He looks tired 30 seconds into the game. I have to question whether he is in basketball shape as it doesn't appear he is. The next observation is basketball IQ. I don't see a lot of smart plays offensively or defensively. I think he seems to be a step late on a lot of plays as he thinks about what to do rather than just reacting. As Cal was preaching to the team that you have to earn your minutes, Edwards wouldn't be starting and wouldn't be getting more 7 minutes per game. It will be interesting how many minutes he will be getting with Big Z now in the fold and when Thiero returns.

There are a disappointing amount of people on this site that are like a flock of chickens. They see the weak chick/bird and can't help themselves but to peck it to death. Lay off Edwards, he's a good kid on our team.

I agree….edwards is not as good as he was supposed to be, but he is also not as bad as some make him out to be. I don’t really think we need more threads and comments doggin the kid out. He takes the floor for us and does good things at times. His minutes have gone down, as they should have. I say let’s leave the kid alone
No, what we need is a coach with enough humility to admit his mistake and put him on the bench. Edwards would play better and have more fan support coming off the bench.

• Love
Freshman should be a role player off the bench maybe 10-12 minutes a game max. Needs another year at KY or somewhere

New Flash for Cal… You are not doing Edwards any NBA favors by continuing to try to turn him into something he’s not going to be this season!

Not that this is the first time, but this situation once again shows that Calipari doesn’t have the team’s best interest for them to win, by putting the best roster on the floor at ALL TIMES!
Its a klutch thing if Cal dont start him they want send him anymore recruits

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT