ADVERTISEMENT

Jones saying he's hearing Gabriel may be gone soon

this does suck, but if Vandy and PJ come back, it won't really matter. Cal typically goes with a 6.5 man rotation. We have a ton of guards that are going to play and Gabriel was never going to start.
Yeah but you still need those players in practice and in games to show the freshman how it is.

This culture that Cal has created is ridiculous. These guys feel like total failures if they don't leave after 2 years. We will never win another title with all freshmen every year unless the talent level is so much greater than everybody else.

People will bash this, but its true. Cal must change to win when it matters. We can't just be a weigh station to the pros, its one thing to lose top guys, but even marginal college players are leaving the program (Hami, Wenyen, PJ, not to mention SKJ and Wynyard leaving). Contrary to popular believe on here you need both talent and experience to win in the NCAA tourney unless you have an super team like the AD team.

It's whining to not be happy that we may lose at least 6 players off this year's team? Now, if we get a grad transfer to replace WG, I'll feel better. And I will still be confident if we keep PJ, JV and QG. But this hemorraging has to stop.

its not going too. QG and/or PJ will also be leaving. so since its not going to stop....what are you going to do about it?

Sorta how Duke had a transcendent Bagley , very solid upperclassmen along with “best recruiting class ever” last year and made it exactly ONE game further than the Cats? Also not winning their Conference Tourney ? What culture is K creating at Duke?
They feel like “total failures ?” Did some of our players say they felt like total failures ?

IF Gabriel leaves it’s a terrible decision on his part. In no way is he remotely ready for the NBA, but Cal can only do so much. I’m very confident Cal and Co have told Gabriel he’s better off returning and working on his game, but at the end of the day he’s a 20 something year old who will make his own decisions.

GOOD on Cal though for busting his A$$ to secure some top guys for next years team though
If I am a Duke fan I am having a similar reaction to UK fans. Though they won our title 3 years ago and perhaps there isnt the same sense of urgency.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
This culture that Cal has created is ridiculous. These guys feel like total failures if they don't leave after 2 years. We will never win another title with all freshmen every year unless the talent level is so much greater than everybody else.
No one has ever won one without significant contributions by 4 year players. Uconn was close one year so I'll include a 3 year player too.

Reactions: Cut-Nets1
I never expected Gabriel to come back, don’t think he should go but this guy almost left last year. I hope he has a good career in Europe or wherever he goes. Now if PJ or Vanderbilt goes I’ll be surprised

Reactions: DanHalen88
Gabriel or PJ leaving would be the first one that makes the wrong decision.

It's interesting that we heard all about Cal making a case for Knox to stay, but we don't hear anything about the same conversation with the fringe 2nd rounders.

Reactions: Primedfor9
I think he means trying to get guys in that next tier down with the belief that they'll stick around or don't view themselves as pro prospects as soon.

Turns out, all kids want to get to the league, so you should at least grab the ones who are good enough to dominate right away.

We haven't had a freshman dominate anything in a while. We've have good freshman, but not dominating. Kat and AD??

I think this is the dilemma. Does next years team have a Wall, Cousins, AD, Knight, MKG, Towns type of talent?

I dont think Cal can get enough dominant frosh to overcome lack of experienced talent. Not if he is to win another title. We can be really good. Just not title good.

oh well. i guess you shouldnt bother watching games anymore.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
It's whining to not be happy that we may lose at least 6 players off this year's team? Now, if we get a grad transfer to replace WG, I'll feel better. And I will still be confident if we keep PJ, JV and QG. But this hemorraging has to stop.
The last sentence here is whiney and entitled.

Gabriel or PJ leaving would be the first one that makes the wrong decision.

It's interesting that we heard all about Cal making a case for Knox to stay, but we don't hear anything about the same conversation with the fringe 2nd rounders.

Because none of their families are talking.

But if you think he told Kevin Knox that he could come back and improve and that he'd love to keep coaching him but just hit ignore when Wenyen Gabriel called to talk, I don't know what to tell you.

I think he means trying to get guys in that next tier down with the belief that they'll stick around or don't view themselves as pro prospects as soon.

Turns out, all kids want to get to the league, so you should at least grab the ones who are good enough to dominate right away.
Which is probably why Krzyzewski tossed whatever reservations he had about 1 and dones. Also why Kansas has become such a transfer factory.

5 star recruits, by and large, don't want to be in college. Period. You can't depend on them staying for any significant time, almost no matter what.

The only hope for college basketball to develop any stability is probably if the NBA ups G League salaries and uses it as more of a true developmental minor league. Ideally, with a rule that a kid either goes straight out of HS, or isn't eligible for the draft for at least 2 years.

We'd be waving bye-bye to almost all elite talent, but the players coming in would really be choosing college, as opposed to now when it's more of a "no other realistic option" thing.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Because none of their families are talking.

But if you think he told Kevin Knox that he could come back and improve and that he'd love to keep coaching him but just hit ignore when Wenyen Gabriel called to talk, I don't know what to tell you.
I didn't say that. My guess is that he had the same conversation with all of them. I'll give you a pass for being pissy, as we're all frustrated here.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Which is probably why Krzyzewski tossed whatever reservations he had about 1 and dones. Also why Kansas has become such a transfer factory.

5 star recruits, by and large, don't want to be in college. Period. You can't depend on them staying for any significant time, almost no matter what.

The only hope for college basketball to develop any stability is probably if the NBA ups G League salaries and uses it as more of a true developmental minor league. Ideally, with a rule that a kid either goes straight out of HS, or isn't eligible for the draft for at least 2 years.

We'd be waving bye-bye to almost all elite talent, but the players coming in would really be choosing college, as opposed to now when it's more of a "no other realistic option" thing.

I still don't think that stops it though. It just moves the talent line required.

If the G-League develops, that means there's more spots for more players to get paid. Then the elite guys jump straight to the league. Then the guys left behind dominate college because there's no elite talent and move on to take the G-League spots vacated when the elite guys move to the NBA.

There's no way to *really* fix it, because being paid actual dollars is way better than being paid in a degree you don't want and won't use and we can't allow *that* or this whole thing will be a pseudo-amateur sham. [eyeroll]

I didn't say that. My guess is that he had the same conversation with all of them. I'll give you a pass for being pissy, as we're all frustrated here.

Yeah, my bad. I wasn't talking directly to you. More a comment on that overall line of thinking. There are people who think that because we don't hear about it, that it doesn't happen.

Still, sorry about that.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I still don't think that stops it though. It just moves the talent line required.

If the G-League develops, that means there's more spots for more players to get paid. Then the elite guys jump straight to the league. Then the guys left behind dominate college because there's no elite talent and move on to take the G-League spots vacated when the elite guys move to the NBA.

There's no way to *really* fix it, because being paid actual dollars is way better than being paid in a degree you don't want and won't use and we can't allow *that* or this whole thing will be a pseudo-amateur sham. [eyeroll]
Which is the last team to win a title without some experienced talent that contributed?

Reactions: Cut-Nets1
Ok. It's whiney to not want to lose more than 6 people off this year's team? We are in Bizarro World.
Exactly.With the rumors PJ is also leaving I don't see how people don't see we would have a major problem next season.I get Knox,Shai and even Diallo leaving but this would be crazy.

Which is the last team to win a title without some experienced talent that contributed?

Again, which teams have tried?

The nature of college basketball isn't such that any team is just trotting out five freshmen and playing no one with any experience.

If we had won it this year, people would have pointed to Wenyen being an important part of the rotation. Duke had Grayson Allen. No one is trying to do the thing that you all keep saying is impossible to do.

It isn't impossible, it's just not being attempted because the circumstances that would require it are incredibly specific.

This is getting out of hand.. IF Gabriel goes and one of PJ or Vando... I’m not quite as confident about next year.
If this keeps happening after mediocre seasons under Cal, I’m not too confident about any year moving forward. Kids are seeing they don’t have to win much at the college level to get to the big time. Just show some flashes here and there, and voila, millionaire.

Time to get rid of the one and done and let kids go out of high school if they want. Maybe then they’ll learn their lesson.

Some I’m sure feel like that if they don’t leave after 1 year. I love Coach Cal but some of the turnover (that shouldn’t occur) is highly questionable and frustrating!

Reactions: KFuqua
When? This past season? So we're 0-for1?
I was bending including 3 year players, which WG will be. The actual fact is no team has won without significant contributions by 4 year players. We tried that in 14, 15, 18 and we will again in 19. Losing a quality 3 year player like WG would be bad.

Reactions: BaronReborn84
If this keeps happening after mediocre seasons under Cal, I’m not too confident about any year moving forward. Kids are seeing they don’t have to win much at the college level to get to the big time. Just show some flashes here and there, and voila, millionaire.

Time to get rid of the one and done and let kids go out of high school if they want. Maybe then they’ll learn their lesson.

Yeah, I am fine with trying to do with mostly freshmen, if those freshmen are the elite of the elite, and we throw in a sophomore, junior or transfer in there. But we can't do it with very good, but not great classes and very little returning talent.

Reactions: kats23
Again, which teams have tried?

The nature of college basketball isn't such that any team is just trotting out five freshmen and playing no one with any experience.

If we had won it this year, people would have pointed to Wenyen being an important part of the rotation. Duke had Grayson Allen. No one is trying to do the thing that you all keep saying is impossible to do.

It isn't impossible, it's just not being attempted because the circumstances that would require it are incredibly specific.
I think you are right. I guess my point is that trying seems to require a hell of a frosh class. I dont see that next year, though perhaps 2019 is trending that way. Impossible to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT