ADVERTISEMENT

Jones saying he's hearing Gabriel may be gone soon

I think Cal has got to change this way of thinking by our players. I don't know that he pitched WG on being a OAD, and it may work on some players, but it shouldn't be the case that marginal players are leaving way before they need to be. And yes, I know WG is not a OAD.

This culture that Cal has created is ridiculous. These guys feel like total failures if they don't leave after 2 years. We will never win another title with all freshmen every year unless the talent level is so much greater than everybody else.

That hurts, but its Vanderbilt and Washington that are the ones we need to return. If they return with the guys we have coming in we will be in great shape.

We're to the point now, though (assuming Gabriel does go) that we can't lose anyone else or our chances next year start to get questionable. Without PJ, we're not a serious title contender imo. Green and Vanderbilt are needed for depth and experience.

I think Cal has got to change this way of thinking by our players. I don't know that he pitched WG on being a OAD, and it may work on some players, but it shouldn't be the case that marginal players are leaving way before they need to be. And yes, I know WG is not a OAD.

cal changing his thinking got us into this mess with the 2016 and 2017 classes. glad he is going back to being cal

Reactions: blubo and jace2012
if you're a foreign born player, it is MUCH easier to make a team overseas. Some countries are only allowed 1 or 2 Americans on the court or on the team at a time.

I know he was born elsewhere, but isn't WG an American? He's been here since 3.

This is the culture we have created at Kentucky. How do you turn us back to normal or can we. These players have been recruited to be one and done and reach your dream earlier than you would have at another school. Other schools furnish players to the NBA but we sell get there as fast as you can. If somebody drafts Gabriel it will just further the reputation of UK as a feeder school.

Is it fair? I don't know but it is reality.

I think he means trying to get guys in that next tier down with the belief that they'll stick around or don't view themselves as pro prospects as soon.

Turns out, all kids want to get to the league, so you should at least grab the ones who are good enough to dominate right away.

yup.

Yeah, this is the soul crushing part.

SKJ and WG should be here next season. Ones gonna go pro overseas, the other transferred.

We can’t have 4 year players. It’s wild and frustrating.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Well if you leave and only have one more year to graduate, that's on you. There is absolutely no way to stop it and that sucks. His minutes was up and would have got a lot of playing time this year.
Well if he leaves, good luck to him.

That hurts, but its Vanderbilt and Washington that are the ones we need to return. If they return with the guys we have coming in we will be in great shape.
If nothing but freshmen and sophomores equals "great shape", then yeah. You do realize no team has won a championship without significant contributions by juniors and/or seniors, right?

this does suck, but if Vandy and PJ come back, it won't really matter. Cal typically goes with a 6.5 man rotation. We have a ton of guards that are going to play and Gabriel was never going to start.

This culture that Cal has created is ridiculous. These guys feel like total failures if they don't leave after 2 years. We will never win another title with all freshmen every year unless the talent level is so much greater than everybody else.

Sorta how Duke had a transcendent Bagley , very solid upperclassmen along with “best recruiting class ever” last year and made it exactly ONE game further than the Cats? Also not winning their Conference Tourney ? What culture is K creating at Duke?
They feel like “total failures ?” Did some of our players say they felt like total failures ?

IF Gabriel leaves it’s a terrible decision on his part. In no way is he remotely ready for the NBA, but Cal can only do so much. I’m very confident Cal and Co have told Gabriel he’s better off returning and working on his game, but at the end of the day he’s a 20 something year old who will make his own decisions.

GOOD on Cal though for busting his A$$ to secure some top guys for next years team though

Edit- not being combative Seccats , just sayin :)

Last edited:
I think this is the dilemma. Does next years team have a Wall, Cousins, AD, Knight, MKG, Towns type of talent?

I dont think Cal can get enough dominant frosh to overcome lack of experienced talent. Not if he is to win another title. We can be really good. Just not title good.

Reactions: kb22stang
ADVERTISEMENT