ADVERTISEMENT

Jon Sumrall Watch

Coach White is very personable, and extremely good at speaking and such. A true professor of the game, without being too dry. He is sort of a younger, taller version of Eddie Gran . . . in about two seconds you know these guys know more
about football than most any, and would be practicing medicine or rocket science had football not caught their fancy.

But Jon Sumrall has that freaky combination of ALL OF IT. If you thought Bradley Dale Peveto could give a talk to make you run through a wall, wait till you see Sumrall in action.

It’s all speculation, and reading tea leaves.

Maybe Sumrall is at Bama, LSU or Georgia by the time Stoops retires.

But if he gets a shot, here, take an opportunity to meet him. And there will be a lot of those opportunities . . . he’s the kind of Coach who will crowd surf the fan base. But don’t take your checkbook: he’ll have you donating to the school or NIL before you leave his presence.
Sumrall won’t be at either of those schools. I could see him going to Mississippi State though if they cut ties with their current coach. I could see Arkansas as a possibility too. But I think Sumrall would also crawl to UK to coach here if he was offered. Similar to Mark Pope on the basketball side. Kirby Smart isn’t leaving UGA anytime soon. He’s a lifer there. He probably wants to break Saban’s records.

I’m convinced that some who post persistent negativity after beating a Top Ten team on the road are either employees of another University or as merely a fan of another program, Somehuywhodoesntlikeuk.
I love Sumrall. I love following his career as a head coach being a former player and coach here. I’ve been a Stoops supporter (although more luke warm the past year or so) and I hope Sumrall continues to win and can be our next coach when Stoops moves on. I don’t think there are any problems with that.

I love Sumrall. I love following his career as a head coach being a former player and coach here. I’ve been a Stoops supporter (although more luke warm the past year or so) and I hope Sumrall continues to win and can be our next coach when Stoops moves on. I don’t think there are any problems with that.
This. I’m not asking for or insisting Mark should move on right now, but when the next move is made I want John Sumrall as Kentuckys next head Coach. It’s just the right fit all the way around. Time will tell but the man is making a big time name for himself.

What's the McClendon/Schnellenberger deal?

Seriously?! You must be young.

“Cholly” McClendon had great success at LSU and Howard Schnellenberger at Miami, and then even at Louisville. Both were Bear Bryant guys who, had the timing and support been right, could have been at Kentucky.

Same with Jerry Claiborne, who spent his most productive years at VPI and Maryland, being passed over by UK twice prior to his hiring in 1982.

I don't think any coach has had the OC turnover that stoops has had in his coaching career.

Maybe a year, ago, I saw an average for coordinators that was above two, but below three years. Eddie Gran was here for four.

Curry had I think 4 or 5 in his seven years.

Maybe a year, ago, I saw an average for coordinators that was above two, but below three years. Eddie Gran was here for four.

Curry had I think 4 or 5 in his seven years.
I know gran was here 4 but I don't believe any others were here more then 3 and I think that was Neal Brown ,then in no particular order he has Shannon Dawson 1,Scankarello 1 ,liam 1 and 1 ,GRAN 4 ,Brown 3 maybe 2 . That's a whole lot of turnover considering Brown and Gran was half of his tenure.

“Cholly” McClendon had great success at LSU and Howard Schnellenberger at Miami, and then even at Louisville. Both were Bear Bryant guys who, had the timing and support been right, could have been at Kentucky.

Same with Jerry Claiborne, who spent his most productive years at VPI and Maryland, being passed over by UK twice prior to his hiring in 1982.
Nope, I'm knocking on geezer status. I remember missing on howard and regretting it, but not McClendon.

Reactions: KT34

Had we put an effort into retaining Bear Bryant instead of prioritizing Basketball (and I know the Cadillac vs Lighter deal was largely debunked) we might be the greatest overall college athletic program in history.

Had we put an effort into retaining Bear Bryant instead of prioritizing Basketball (and I know the Cadillac vs Lighter deal was largely debunked) we might be the greatest overall college athletic program in history.

Bear Bryant was promised after the basketball point-shaving-scandal/death penalty that Rupp would be fired. That, along with Paul Hornung saying no to go to Notre Dame are the most believable tales I have read or have been told. I also give credence to the tale told by Lexington’s most well-known Pharmacist in
that day, to a good friend of mine in 1964; Bear had been chasing skirts and won several chases. And numerous folks were pressuring him to get out of Dodge, likely including the Happy Chandler family, whose daughter was a target of Bryant’s wandering eye.

I honestly think it was all of the above: the move to A & M came at a good time for Bear, for several reasons.

But he was only at A & M three seasons before “Mama called,” and he answered. I doubt Kentucky could have retained him for Love or money with the Bama job opening just a couple of years after the A & M job opened.

Last edited:
Bear Bryant was promised after the basketball point-shaving-scandal/death penalty that Rupp would be fired. That, along with Paul Hornung saying no to go to Notre Dame are the most believable tales I have read or have been told. I also give credence to the tale told by Lexington’s most well-known Pharmacist in
that day, to a good friend of mine in 1964; Bear had been chasing skirts and won several chases. And numerous folks were pressuring him to get out of Dodge, likely including the Happy Chandler family, whose daughter was a target of Bryant’s wandering eye.

I honestly think it was all of the above: the move to A & M came at a good time for Bear, for several reasons.

But he was only at A & M three seasons before “Mama called,” and he answered. I doubt Kentucky could have retained him for Love or money with the Bama job opening just a couple of years after the A & M job opened.
I think your last part is key. No way he is staying after the 1957 season. He would have gone to Bama.

As long as Barnhart is AD Brad White will be the next coach. I dont agree with but I am not making the decision. I think Mitch and Stoops will retire at the same time.
Man, I just think that's an epically bad decision. How many SEC football teams hire an assistant to be HC? If Brad White wants to be a HC he needs to leave and get a job. Prove himself and then see where things are. It's just an insanely bad idea.

Rhet Lashlee should be interviewed if Stoops leaves. He has done more than Sumrall. Offensive mind

Man, I just think that's an epically bad decision. How many SEC football teams hire an assistant to be HC? If Brad White wants to be a HC he needs to leave and get a job. Prove himself and then see where things are. It's just an insanely bad idea.
A lot of SEC head coaches were hired as former coordinators not as head coaches.

UF or Auburn isn't going to hire Sumrall. He isn't a sexy enough hire that both fanbases require. Both teams want coaches or coordinators from the P4. Sumrall not as highly coveted as Kentucky fans make him out to be.
I'd wholeheartedly disagree. He's going to be a hot name for P4 jobs this cycle. I think he's good enough he can be patient too. If Florida moves on from Napier, for example, Sumrall will be in the thick of that hire. They'll strike out on the "sexy" hires and then get to the next group. That's where he's at, and probably at the top.

Hit me with a list of most recents.
In the league currently, you have Kirby, Lebby, Beamer, Lea, Pittman, Stoops and Venables. 3 of the top 5 teams in the nation are led by guys in their first head coaching gig. As has been proven over and over again, there is no exact science to getting a great HC. Some up and comers work, some don't. Some P5 guys work, some don't. Some coordinators work, some don't.

Last edited:
Hit me with a list of most recents.
Coordinators or position coaches:
Miss St- offense
Arkansas- neutral OL coach
USC- offense TE coach
Vandy- defense coach
UK- defense coach
UGA- defense coach
Oklahoma- defense coach

Little HC experience at lower levels:
Missouri- offense coach
UF- offense coach
Texas AM- defense coach
UT- offense coach

Upper Guys:
Alabama- offense coach
Auburn- offense coach
LSU- offense coach
Texas- offense coach
Ole Miss- offense coach

Notice the majority are offensive minds. 9 of the 16 if my numbers are right.

Last edited:
In the league currently, you have Kirby, Pittman, Stoops and Venables. 3 of the top 5 teams in the nation are led by guys in their first head coaching gig. As has been proven over and over again, there is no exact science to getting a great HC. Some up and comers work, some don't. Some P5 guys work, some don't. Some coordinators work, some don't.
I said SEC. And comparing Kirby to Brad White is pretty funny. Most. Recent. I'll wait if you want to have a real conversation about it. Hell, give me the last 10 years of SEC coaching hires that were assistants. Don't just cherry-pick what you think are good examples. Throw them all out there.

I will agree though, there's no exact science to it. But a proven track record as a head coach is a darned good indicator.

I said SEC. And comparing Kirby to Brad White is pretty funny. Most. Recent. I'll wait if you want to have a real conversation about it. Hell, give me the last 10 years of SEC coaching hires that were assistants. Don't just cherry-pick what you think are good examples. Throw them all out there.

I will agree though, there's no exact science to it. But a proven track record as a head coach is a darned good indicator.
I edited my post. There are 7 current guys in the SEC who came straight from being an assistant

And I'll do the same for you. Give me the past 10 years of guys who were hired from the G5 ranks. Throw them all out there. Proven success as a HC at the G5 level is not an indication that you will be a successful P5 HC.

And I'll do the same for you. Give me the past 10 years of guys who were hired from the G5 ranks. Throw them all out there. Proven success as a HC at the G5 level is not an indication that you will be a successful P5 HC.
Not at all. And I didn't say they had to come from the G5. It's just my belief that if you're an SEC program you don't have to take a flier on a Brad White type. At least not at UK now. Post Joker (assistant fail, btw) sure, but Stoops (assistant win, btw) has elevated the program beyond that. Nothing is guaranteed, but there are measures from experiences that can certainly manage the risk.

Alright, here we go. Last 10 years (2015 on), guys that were hired in the SEC::

Coordinators/Assistants (5 active, 5 fired)
Georgia - Kirby Smart
Mizzou - Barry Odom
Ole Miss - Matt Luke
MSU - Joe Morehead
UT - Jeremy Pruitt
Arkansas - Sam Pittman
USC - Shane Beamer
Vandy - Clark Lea
MSU - Zach Arnett
MSU - Jeff Lebby

Former P5 HC (5 active, 4 fired, 1 death)
USC - Will Muschamp
LSU - Ed Orgeron
Florida - Dan Mullen
Texas A&M - Jimbo Fisher
Ole Miss - Lane Kiffin
MSU - Mike Leach
LSU - Brian Kelly
Auburn - Hugh Freeze
Texas A&M - Mike Elko
Alabama - Kalen DeBoer

Former G5 HC (3 active, 2 fired)
Arkansas - Chad Morris
Mizzou - Eli Drinkwitz
Auburn - Brian Harsin
UT - Josh Heupel
Florida - Billy Napier

Reactions: mrschwump
Not at all. And I didn't say they had to come from the G5. It's just my belief that if you're an SEC program you don't have to take a flier on a Brad White type. At least not at UK now. Post Joker (assistant fail, btw) sure, but Stoops (assistant win, btw) has elevated the program beyond that. Nothing is guaranteed, but there are measures from experiences that can certainly manage the risk.
Oh, I agree on Brad White. It's not that he can't be successful, I just feel like we have the guy at Tulane who is Brad White but can recruit better, has the "it" factor and is a UK grad. I think we both agree that Sumrall is the right choice, but that doesn't mean that he will be more successful as a P4 HC than a current coordinator.

I have nothing against Sumrall. I think he is a good young coach but if the AD doesn't interview other coaches, then it is a lazy hire. A national search should be conducted if Sumrall is the best option then hire him.

Oh, I agree on Brad White. It's not that he can't be successful, I just feel like we have the guy at Tulane who is Brad White but can recruit better, has the "it" factor and is a UK grad. I think we both agree that Sumrall is the right choice, but that doesn't mean that he will be more successful as a P4 HC than a current coordinator.
We agree a lot more than I initially thought. Basically summed up my thinking. I'm not sure it's a good thing for you though, normally being on the same wavelength as me is a bad thing!

I have nothing against Sumrall. I think he is a good young coach but if the AD doesn't interview other coaches, then it is a lazy hire. A national search should be conducted if Sumrall is the best option then hire him.
I can't imagine any rational thinking person wouldn't think the same way.

I know gran was here 4 but I don't believe any others were here more then 3 and I think that was Neal Brown ,then in no particular order he has Shannon Dawson 1,Scankarello 1 ,liam 1 and 1 ,GRAN 4 ,Brown 3 maybe 2 . That's a whole lot of turnover considering Brown and Gran was half of his tenure.
I like coordinator continuity. However, there are a couple things that must be included in the conversation. Brown and Coen took other jobs. Before Stoops, I rarely remember other schools wanting our coordinators as coordinators or HCs. Coen is on the list twice and it was obvious he preferred the NFL over the college game. I think Stoops tried to reproduce Coen's first year by bringing in Scang. His system with all its verbiage was too complicated to be implemented in one year. (Which is needed in today's transfer/NIL world.)

Oddly, Gran had the longest tenure with the least amount of talent, but was relieved of OC responsibilties. (Gran fell on the sword for recruiting reasons and doesn't receive enough credit for his impact on the program. That's a post for anothe day.)

The only reason we still have White is because he turned down LSU and I think he's made it known in coaching circles that he's not trying to jump into just any HC position.

Bottom line - I agree that we've had too much OC turnover. They thought Coen was going to give them a minimum of 3 years when he returned. But, we've had some OCs that other teams have come after for various appealing opportunities. I don't have a clue about Hamdan's future dreams. But, we need to get at least 3 years out of him (preferably 4) then support him if he takes a HC position.

I like coordinator continuity. However, there are a couple things that must be included in the conversation. Brown and Coen took other jobs. Before Stoops, I rarely remember other schools wanting our coordinators as coordinators or HCs. Coen is on the list twice and it was obvious he preferred the NFL over the college game. I think Stoops tried to reproduce Coen's first year by bringing in Scang. His system with all its verbiage was too complicated to be implemented in one year. (Which is needed in today's transfer/NIL world.)

Oddly, Gran had the longest tenure with the least amount of talent, but was relieved of OC responsibilties. (Gran fell on the sword for recruiting reasons and doesn't receive enough credit for his impact on the program. That's a post for anothe day.)

The only reason we still have White is because he turned down LSU and I think he's made it known in coaching circles that he's not trying to jump into just any HC position.

Bottom line - I agree that we've had too much OC turnover. They thought Coen was going to give them a minimum of 3 years when he returned. But, we've had some OCs that other teams have come after for various appealing opportunities. I don't have a clue about Hamdan's future dreams. But, we need to get at least 3 years out of him (preferably 4) then support him if he takes a HC position.
Not every coordinator wants a HC job and that may be where White is. John Chavas was a top notch DC for years at TN and elsewhere but turned down many HC offers. Gran too. These guys want to coach but don't want the responsibility a HC has, dealing with media/alums, etc. Re Coen, this is just my opinion based on nothing but guessing, didn't pony to the recruiting involved. I have no idea what UK does post-Stoops but I don't think UK will have a problem finding a good coach and that's good news.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT