ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Wright said something interesting regarding the starting 5

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
He said he believes our starting 5 is our best defensive lineup. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone mention that. Interesting.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree. I’m not a numbers cruncher. I just think it adds another layer to this tired argument.

Crap did I really just start another lineup thread?

Our D isn't good so we should start a worse defensive lineup? I thought most on here were of the opinion that our offense was good enough, we needed to improve on defense (that is MHO as well). I don't have the answer but don't think we can outscore the best teams unless defense improves.

He said he believes our starting 5 is our best defensive lineup. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone mention that. Interesting.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree. I’m not a numbers cruncher. I just think it adds another layer to this tired argument.

I don’t think there is any statistics to back that claim up. They also only play together at the beginning of each half for about 3 minutes each, maybe 4 tops, which is another oddity. Probably won’t find another starting 5 not being on the floor together at any other time of the game beyond the first stoppage of play each half in all of basketball.

Well, I think Thiero and Onyensu are plainly our best defensive options at the 4 and 5 spots. And I think it fair to say that about Wagner and Reeves as well. So I’d say that’s a solid opinion for four positions.

But I can’t say I agree on the omission of Sheppard. I’d sure think the guy on track to potentially become the all-time single-season steals leader would have to be included in our best defensive lineup somewhere.

If only Cal and Co. could teach these players to up their defensive presence in spurts. Even that could be effective, if only Cal would try and sell it. I think this team would buy into it. Can you turn the defense off and on, yeah... Geez who knows, just typing...

A thing he said I thought was super interesting was he said you never know which one of their 3 bigs is going to get you. He said Z has been awesome, Ugo starts and Bradshaw looks good today, LOL.

Ugo starts, nicest thing Jay Wright could say.😛

A thing he said I thought was super interesting was he said you never know which one of their 3 bigs is going to get you. He said Z has been awesome, Ugo starts and Bradshaw looks good today, LOL.

Ugo starts, nicest thing Jay Wright could say.😛
The thing about having 3 competent bigs is that you don’t have to waste time on one of them if he’s not producing early and often. On to the next guy.

The starting 5 isn't the best defensive team out there. Of the 3 bigs and 3 point guards, I would place UGO #3 and Wagner #3 in each group. While UGO had that big game where he blocked 10+ shots, he is continually out of position especially on the Pik N Roll. Instead of confronting the dribbler on the Pik N Roll, UGO continually is on the wrong side of the Pik and allows the guard to go down hill to the basket. I'm not sure why the UK coaches don't see this or correct it as Z and Bradshaw do a much better job of pushing the guard away from the basket. Regarding Wagner, I don't think I've seen a guard who allows more straight line drives to the basket since Cal has been here. Once again, positioning (overplay the dribbler's strong hand) is the key along with effort. At this point, the objective of the guards should be to stay in front of the dribbler rather than trying to put pressure 30 feet from the basket. I wish Cal would use some sort of a 1-3-1 defense during stretches of the game allowing UK's length to slow down the opponents scoring. Having the opponents throw over the defense rather than giving up straight line drives would allow UK to defend something other than a Pik N Roll.

I don’t think there is any statistics to back that claim up. They also only play together at the beginning of each half for about 3 minutes each, maybe 4 tops, which is another oddity. Probably won’t find another starting 5 not being on the floor together at any other time of the game beyond the first stoppage of play each half in all of basketball.
Maybe in the HISTORY of basketball. That’s the most ……ahh never mind.

And that just tells you what Cal really thinks of that group of 5. That's he's starting it for reasons other than basketball purposes.

If Wagner wasn't hitting the 3's in the beginning we would have instantly been way down once again. It may be a good line-up but evidently not to start a game.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-

Al McGuire would have said "the difference is the type of wire on the screen door of your submarine"

Yeah but Jay, our defensive efficiency is not good.

We probably lose to teams in a tourney game that excel on defense.

Not to be a downer, but that's a real statistic.

The real game that will be coming up is against TN.

The starting 5 isn't the best defensive team out there. Of the 3 bigs and 3 point guards, I would place UGO #3 and Wagner #3 in each group. While UGO had that big game where he blocked 10+ shots, he is continually out of position especially on the Pik N Roll. Instead of confronting the dribbler on the Pik N Roll, UGO continually is on the wrong side of the Pik and allows the guard to go down hill to the basket. I'm not sure why the UK coaches don't see this or correct it as Z and Bradshaw do a much better job of pushing the guard away from the basket. Regarding Wagner, I don't think I've seen a guard who allows more straight line drives to the basket since Cal has been here. Once again, positioning (overplay the dribbler's strong hand) is the key along with effort. At this point, the objective of the guards should be to stay in front of the dribbler rather than trying to put pressure 30 feet from the basket. I wish Cal would use some sort of a 1-3-1 defense during stretches of the game allowing UK's length to slow down the opponents scoring. Having the opponents throw over the defense rather than giving up straight line drives would allow UK to defend something other than a Pik N Roll.
As you stated, our biggest problem on defense is staying with your man; not beside him, not following him, but keeping your body between him and the basket! Never thought of the 1- 3 - 1 zone which would cut down on the straight drives to the basket and force them to throw over the length of our guys with their long wingspan. Even CCC ran a 2-3 zone against the Hogs a few times. At least mix it up defensively which you and I could probably incorporate into the game plan, but not our $9mil coach!

I also would like some more full court pressure applied, again not all the time but do it occasionally. Two benefits: (1) Wears them down and (2) Gives us less time to have to defend in the half court. We already put pressure on our opponents with our fast paced offensive (thanks Coach Welch), let’s do the same with our defense!

I thought it was pretty funny that as he said it the graphic showed Arkansas started out 6-6.

If Wagner wasn't hitting the 3's in the beginning we would have instantly been way down once again. It may be a good line-up but evidently not to start a game.
So, if it had been different it would have been different.

I heard it and when our backups came in and forced several turnovers in a row I said that he said that. Check the game thread out.

Well, I think Thiero and Onyensu are plainly our best defensive options at the 4 and 5 spots. And I think it fair to say that about Wagner and Reeves as well. So I’d say that’s a solid opinion for four positions.

But I can’t say I agree on the omission of Sheppard. I’d sure think the guy on track to potentially become the all-time single-season steals leader would have to be included in our best defensive lineup somewhere.
He is also going to finish 2nd all time for blocked shots in a season by a guard. Second only to Deandrae Liggins .

Color commentators just say things to fill voids. Very few if any spend time watching games to learn any type of history about the teams they’re watching that day. They have a sheet of crap prepared for them like saying things like Willie Cauley Stein played wide receiver in high school, and Bam flipped over a coffee table.
The common fan knows way more about their team than guys calling the games.
Now if Jay Wright really spent time watching film etc it would be different. I really like him and would trade Cal for him in a second.

DJ was good offensively yesterday, but his biggest contribution was slowing down Tramon Mark who was giving Antonio the business. His defensive presence slowing him down helped jumpstart our 2nd half run

I don’t think there is any statistics to back that claim up.
You're not going to find statistics to back up a lot of claims and opinions about this team, but for what it's worth the starting five absolutely locked down Auburn at the start and set the tone for the rest of the game. Auburn only scored two points in like the first five or so minutes.

You're not going to find statistics to back up a lot of claims and opinions about this team, but for what it's worth the starting five absolutely locked down Auburn at the start and set the tone for the rest of the game. Auburn only scored two points in like the first five or so minutes.
They certainly did against Auburn, been about the only team I can recall of recent time however they didn’t start off strong offensively out of the gate. Auburn game was more of an anomaly than the norm. Just going back to the Gonzaga game which is 7 games, 5 of the 7 teams had scored anywhere from 7-10 points by around the 17:00 mark. Only Auburn which you mentioned and ole miss with 5 points had less. Cant imagine allowing 7-10 points in roughly 3 minutes of playing time in most games would translate into a strong defensive unit.

He may be right about that. But, in my opinion, you can't focus on all defense when making a starting lineup. It's got to be a mix of defense and offense.

Good news on this: we're getting better offensive play from Wagner and Edwards of late. If those 2 can continue to produce at a higher level than they did in January and into February, Calipari can let it ride as is without hurting the team.

I'd like to see the numbers that actually back up that statement regarding the starters being our best defenders. I'm not sure I buy it. I'm becoming more convinced that Ivisic is becoming as effective defensively as Onyenso, and there is no question who is the better offensive player.

Reactions: Rockfly78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT