ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bruce sucks.......

Hate to see this classic thread stalled. So here it is for further debate.

No change IMO...He still sucks. He'll go into a huge slump where he bats .100 with 3 strikeouts a game. It doesn't change with Bruce. He's just amazingly streakly.

Yes, I'm aware and don't need to be advised it's only about halfway through the season but Bruce is looking a lot better to this point of the year. I've been aggravated in the past as much as anyone with Jay's lengthy slumps. Saw analysis on MLB Network of the adjustments to the mechanics in his batting stance to increase the view of the strike zone. Being more selective at the plate too. 2nd in the NL in RBIs. Latest rumors are the Dodgers/Giants wanting to make a push for him. He's increased his trade value, hovering around .280 batting average and on pace for over 30 homers/100 RBIs.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware and don't need to be advised it's only about halfway through the season but Bruce is looking a lot better to this point of the year. Saw analysis on MLB Network of adjusted the adjustments to the mechanics of his batting stance to increase the view of the strike zone. Being more selective at the plate too. 2nd in the NL in RBIs. Latest rumors are the Dodgers/Giants wanting to make a push for him. He's increased his trade value, hovering around .280 batting average and on pace for over 30 homers/100 RBIs.

Hope he's hitting around .300 the last week of July. Would love to see the Reds unload him for a couple of strong prospects.

Last I saw he was batting about .100 for the Mets, think the Reds had given him all the time you could ask for him to mature as a hitter.

By the way, Reds well over .500 since all star break, so perhaps there is hope for 2017.

Did Bruce get traded? I figured he just went into one of his massive slumps and wasn't doing anything for the Reds! [laughing]

After 25 games with the Mets, and 99 AB, he is batting .169 with 2 HR, a whopping 6 RBIs . . . and 27 Ks.

Really glad to see him go, to be honest.

2nd half success has more to do with getting a healthy starting rotation back and the bullpen not near as bad as it was to start the year with Iglesias/Lorenzen in their now. Billy Hamilton finally showing potential to be a true lead off hitter and Votto has been on fire since June. Definitely not shocked with Bruce's struggles. It's obvious his performance thus far in NYM has been atrocious but in Bruce's defense, he is leaving a great hitter's park for a pitchers park. NYM already had one of the worst offenses in the league and injuries to Cespedes, Duda, D'Arnaud, Walker, Cabrera & Wright don't help what little offense they had going on. Bruce was basically all they had going for them and it showed for awhile with the Mets slide in August. I expect his power numbers will be better than this, low avg and K's is what it is. Live and die that way with many raw power hitters. Todd Frazier batting .217 so far. Critics got their wish, Bruce is gone. Dilson Herrera can tear up AAA pitching but haven't seen much yet from his stints with the Mets and whoever the hell the throw in was, just another excuse for the Reds to be cheap. Overpay the wrong player or for Jocketty to sign an ex-Card. With Phillips not waiving his no-trade clause, Senzel, Peraza and possibly Suarez, where does an IF like Herrera fit into the equation? Senzel is tearing it up at Double A, maybe moved along quicker having played college baseball. My feeling is Cozart is next to be dealt.

Last edited:
Although I'll agree nothing is as bad as Dunn in the OF, Bruce's defense has left a lot to be desired lately. Still, I'd be willing to overlook it with a better approach at the plate. Guys that don't seem to have any rhyme or reason at the dish irritate the hell out of me.

I cannot believe Bruce is only 34. Seems like he has played for 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT