ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Vanderbilt is absolutely the most ridiculous...

Are you guys paying attention?

He is not on any draft boards. I guess the G League is still the pros..

If he isnt drafted he makes $35k in the G league and if injured he is done.

How long will that $35k last?

How long will a club wait on an undrafted player to rehab?

Kid couldnt function on a private jet now he will be riding a school bus hundreds of miles each week.

Better chance of injury:

35 games vs college kids closely refereed
or
80 games versus grown ass men with families busting ass to make a roster

I could argue this all night... i get your points but the dollars are not there right now... he is NOT Harry Giles.

He could and probably will play internationally. It’s obvious that he’s not going to be drafted.

Reactions: brianpoe
One thing for sure...we won't miss his offensive prowess...

tnCGik.gif

It’s ok for a kid to come here and not like Kentucky as much as some die hard fans. Get real.
He had nothing but good things to say about UK. Didn’t bring any trouble or anything bad. Had injuries. Is in his best interest to go get his money while he still can.
Not really a big deal.

You dumbasses in this thread bashing a kid are exaclty why UK fans get the name we get. It’s his decision so live with it. He’s one injury away from being looked at like a “risky” draft pick. I want him back to but I understand why he left!
Speaking as one of the dumb a**es, I have a hunch that many fan bases would be a least marginally concerned with a fairly mediocre-and as we were reminded daily-young team losing five players to the draft, particularly when two of those players were not projected by most of the top draft projection services to even be drafted. Many projections don't have JV or WG in their top 100. Throw in the SKJ transfer, and you can make a pretty good case that we're losing many, if not all, of the kids that would normally build the foundation of our team. Any way you look at it, JV would be a very risky pick right now. I'd think most self respecting NBA scouts would be at least somewhat interested in whether or not he can hold up under a season of College Basketball before investing millions in him for a much more grueling season of Professional Basketball. While I'm semi-ranting, we're awfully quick to call out fans for "bashing" but from my perspective, what I mostly see, outside of some lashing out, are fans that are concerned about JV, his future, and the future of the UK program as we see more and more marginal players leave after a year or two. If that's being a dumb ass, count me in.

It’s ok for a kid to come here and not like Kentucky as much as some die hard fans. Get real.
He had nothing but good things to say about UK. Didn’t bring any trouble or anything bad. Had injuries. Is in his best interest to go get his money while he still can.
Not really a big deal.

Heres my problem with it and call me selfish, bash me, dont care.

We are not winning another title like this. Im sorry, not happening. Players who are here in body only but their mind is in the league. Not playing for unspeakable reasons and then declaring for the nba etc...its contagious, cancerous imo, not good for morale, program, etc imo.

2009, 2012, 2015 guys bought the eff in. Period.

All had nba aspirations but werent sitting out semesters, games, and tournaments making vague comments about why with Cal scratching his head saying "he'll play when he wants to play." That culture needs to change before its gets any worse.

Spin it how you want...its his decision blah blah blah. Just because its a players decision doesnt mean its the right one. I could quit my job today, sit on my ass, go broke because its my decision.

Players first should be about a player doing what is TRULY BEST for him, not just the program being supportive that he made a "decision."

Quit school for 35,000/year? Lmao. That wont even cover your housing costs in most markets.

Last edited:
I dont Blame him. One more injury in college and he doesn’t make a dime. At least try to get one contract just in case.

If he cant stand up to the rigors of basketball, and his camp knows this...then what team is going to give him hundreds of thousands of $$/ millions of $$ to an injured player who cant even play college basketball without fear of being injured?

Even if he goes overseas he will be playing a much more rigorous schedule with GROWN ASS MEN...

Wish him the best but I think (if looking at a business decision) he made a terrible choice

Heres my problem with it and call me selfish, bash me, dont care.

We are not winning another title like this. Im sorry, not happening. Players who are here in body only but their mind is in the league. Not playing for unspeakable reasons and then declaring for the nba etc...its contagious, cancerous imo, not good for morale, program, etc imo.

2009, 2012, 2015 guys bought the eff in. Period.

All had nba aspirations but werent sitting out semesters, games, and tournaments making vague comments about why with Cal scratching his head saying "he'll play when he wants to play." That culture needs to change before its gets any worse.

Spin it how you want...its his decision blah blah blah. Just because its a players decision doesnt mean its the right one. I could quit my job today, sit on my ass, go broke because its my decision.

Players first should be about a player doing what is TRULY BEST for him, not just the program being supportive that he made a "decision."

Quit school for 35,000/year? Lmao. That wont even cover your housing costs in most markets.

We do have some returning experience, along with the possibility of Travis and an excellent class coming in. We are without a doubt in the mix for a FF/Title run next year...yet again under Cal.

Reactions: Poetax and sefus12
Some of ya'll only don't like the decision cause you selfishly want UK to be benefit. You don't know his options and what teams have told him.

Nor do you ?

Im pretty liberal when it comes to our guys and going for the dreams. IF they can make some bank? GO for it! no problem at all..but don't act all self righteous when some are a bit peeved in general (not bashing) that one of our guys who played like 12 games is leaving without even being drafted.

You act like you care so much about JV and everyone else is "selfish"
Maybe some think that the best BUSINESS DECISION (in his best interest) for JV was to come back, work on your game (like shooting) build more hype, make more connections and very easily go mid first round next year(maybe even lottery)

Your fake concern for JV is cringe inducing

He is a textbook example of a kid that really may need a college degree in case of a nagging injury destroying his career. He will not get drafted for the big money payoff due to his history of foot issues. He may not even be able to play overseas. What a joke. Good luck and may he learn to make better decisions on his own regarding his life in the future. It will have to be on his own because all the parasites advising him will have abandoned him by that point if he is unable to play basketball.

He has the rest of his life to get a college degree. Heck, even if he makes the minimum G-league salary for a couple years, he's had an opportunity very few people have...to get paid for playing a game.

We do have some returning experience, along with the possibility of Travis and an excellent class coming in. We are without a doubt in the mix for a FF/Title run next year...yet again under Cal.

The potential is always there, but lets see how the season unfolds before we start penciling UK in the FF. Lots of possibilities and unprovens at this point.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I don’t think we will see JV in Lexington again. Ever. One of the Harrison’s made the league without being drafted. Will never be a star, but made some money. That’s about the best scenario I see for JV if he's healthy.

I mean honestly...and I am being honest. If I had the choice between having WG/JV back OR Travis come in...I would rather have Travis.

We will be young again but we do have some returning guys unlike some years (PJ, QG, Richards) to go along with an EXCELLENT class...

Im wayyy more stoked and hopeful for next year at this time than I was last year at this time

He has the rest of his life to get a college degree. Heck, even if he makes the minimum G-league salary for a couple years, he's had an opportunity very few people have...to get paid for playing a game.
True....but by playing ONE more year at UK he could have potentially completed an associates degree, improved to first round of draft and made more in his first contract than 10 years of G league or Euroball. Not very smart.

...and as soon as his pro aspirations don't exist anymore he can come back to UK and finish his degree, for free.
Much easier said than done. He will probably not have access to tutors, preferential class scheduling, a real connection to the university, friends, housing issues, etc. It sounds great, but how many one and dones have returned to finish their degrees?? I don't know exact numbers, but I bet it is a very small number due to the above mentioned barriers. Most don't want to come back with their tails between their legs as perceived failures in pro bball. It is an option, but the choice is still very suspect and his path is rocky. His life, his choice though. Hope it works out for him.

You're missing the bigger picture.... He's an injury away from working at McDonald's with no degree and no future in basketball.

Doesn't he have a scholarship for life? He's rolling the dice for sure, but he's kind of in a no-win situation. I hope he can go overseas, or dramatically improve his offensive game. I know Kentucky is a place where they take care of their own; would he be able to come back to Kentucky if things do not pan out?

Reactions: sambowieshin
The whole make money before you get injured again makes 0 sense to me. He's not going to get drafted and will be playing overseas. So even if he did come back and get injured, he can STILL go play overseas. Not sure the major rush out of the door.

I ALWAYS wish the best for these kids but after Briscoe, Vanderbilt, and Gabriel leaving, I will never make an effort to follow them or support them.

Much easier said than done. He will probably not have access to tutors, preferential class scheduling, a real connection to the university, friends, housing issues, etc. It sounds great, but how many one and dones have returned to finish their degrees?? I don't know exact numbers, but I bet it is a very small number due to the above mentioned barriers. Most don't want to come back with their tails between their legs as perceived failures in pro bball. It is an option, but the choice is still very suspect and his path is rocky. His life, his choice though. Hope it works out for him.
That's actually a decent counterpoint. I'm not even saying I agree with his decision, but I can certainly understand it. Maybe he heard good things regarding his performances in limited minutes here from an organization, and I can't really criticize a big man with foot issues wanting to risk putting off money another year and risk losing any potential to make it ever.

I get why he did it. At the same time.. He will fail along with WG.. And Cal needs to turn that into a sales pitch.

14 games, some great rebounding but no offensive game whatsoever. Rumored to have had a bad attitude, and couldn't even stay healthy enough to play in the tournament. Normally I side with those sticking up for the one and done's who decide to leave early but in this case, excuse me if I don't kiss Vanderbilt's feet for the fact that he graced us with his presence for all of 14 regular season games. He wants to play pro ball so badly and compete at the next level? Good luck, pal. We'll see what happens to your frail frame when you are bumping under the rim with pros. Assuming he even gets drafted and/or makes an NBA roster.

You don't have to play 80 games to sign a contract. Ask Fultz. Ask Giles. Some team obviously told him something worth hearing. Just wish him well.
That's not necessarily true. Look at WG. NOBODY had him ranked in the top 1000 and there is only 60 spots lol. No, here at UK these deer jump off 60 foot bridges without looking. No rhyme or reason.

That's not necessarily true. Look at WG. NOBODY had him ranked in the top 1000 and there is only 60 spots lol. No, here at UK these deer jump off 60 foot bridges without looking. No rhyme or reason.
You understand there are more places to play professional basketball than the NBA right? You understand there are players overseas making millions of dollars per year who couldn't cut it the nba? The kid wants to get paid NOW . Some team & agent somewhere will gladly pay WG. Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

Wow! Can’t believe the venom on this board. JV had no choice and I don’t blame him for chasing his dream. I hope someone will give him a chance. I hope he does well and gets a contract at some point. Why? He was a Wildcat player. Why? Cal wanted him? Why? Because if he had been able to play without injury he would have made a big difference in how we ended up last year. That didn’t happen as we all know. Put yourself in his place. He’s got one chance to make the league. If he has another injury he’s done. If he has it here no pay day. If he gets a contract and then has an injury he gets paid. Easy choice as far as I’m concerned. When all is said and done I believe we get Travis and win number 9. No one will give a crap if we have a good season. Those of you attacking JV need to find something else to do with your spare time. So much hate inside a person leads to heart attacks and loneliness. Those of you with kids would be telling your kid to do the same thing. We are BBN we shouldn’t be hating on our kids. This is something Auburn, TN, Duke, UNC, IU and Kansas would do. But we’re better than that Right?

You understand there are more places to play professional basketball than the NBA right? You understand there are players overseas making millions of dollars per year who couldn't cut it the nba? The kid wants to get paid NOW . Some team & agent somewhere will gladly pay WG. Not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp.
Yes Sir I understand. But WG is not seeing no million dollar payday anytime soon.

I'm sorry, but as a lifelong UK fan, who still gives to the university, I can't give my ultimate support to a guy who hardly plays, isn't close to being ready for the pros and leaves after one season. I don't hate the guy, but I don't care about his NBA career or what he does from this point on. I guess that makes me a monster, and that's fine. I get why Knox and SGA left, I get why guys like Fox, AD and Cousins leave - but I'm not going to get all giddy (like some on here) when Vanderbilt, Goodwin, Gabriel or others who leave way too soon score 5 points in a pro game, have a G-League breakout game or signs a 10-day contract. Thanks PJ, Nick, Quade and Baker for coming back.

He already proved his worth haha
I am really concerned that future recruits may read this board. We have great fans but the flipside is, we have terrible, self centered vocal fans as well. I couldn't find more hatefilled people unless I attended an Evangelical Church.

Nor do you ?

Im pretty liberal when it comes to our guys and going for the dreams. IF they can make some bank? GO for it! no problem at all..but don't act all self righteous when some are a bit peeved in general (not bashing) that one of our guys who played like 12 games is leaving without even being drafted.

You act like you care so much about JV and everyone else is "selfish"
Maybe some think that the best BUSINESS DECISION (in his best interest) for JV was to come back, work on your game (like shooting) build more hype, make more connections and very easily go mid first round next year(maybe even lottery)

Your fake concern for JV is cringe inducing

Nobody has mentioned it yet that I know but in his video he said he received info that helped him to decide to stay so it will be interesting to see what that was.

Wow! Can’t believe the venom on this board. JV had no choice and I don’t blame him for chasing his dream. I hope someone will give him a chance. I hope he does well and gets a contract at some point. Why? He was a Wildcat player. Why? Cal wanted him? Why? Because if he had been able to play without injury he would have made a big difference in how we ended up last year. That didn’t happen as we all know. Put yourself in his place. He’s got one chance to make the league. If he has another injury he’s done. If he has it here no pay day. If he gets a contract and then has an injury he gets paid. Easy choice as far as I’m concerned. When all is said and done I believe we get Travis and win number 9. No one will give a crap if we have a good season. Those of you attacking JV need to find something else to do with your spare time. So much hate inside a person leads to heart attacks and loneliness. Those of you with kids would be telling your kid to do the same thing. We are BBN we shouldn’t be hating on our kids. This is something Auburn, TN, Duke, UNC, IU and Kansas would do. But we’re better than that Right?

Could you expand a bit on why he had NO choice?

Nobody has mentioned it yet that I know but in his video he said he received info that helped him to decide to stay so it will be interesting to see what that was.

The only one foolish enough to do that would be Lavar Ball.

I am really concerned that future recruits may read this board. We have great fans but the flipside is, we have terrible, self centered vocal fans as well. I couldn't find more hatefilled people unless I attended an Evangelical Church.

It was a play on Cal’s quote and a joke, Nancy. I’m about as hateful to the program as Affleck to Damon. Take your windmill battles somewhere else, Mr Quixote. Screw yourself, you don’t know a thing about me. Nut job

1. This scholarship for lifetime needs to go away. You get a scholarship for the years you are playing for UK. If you leave before 4 years, you should pay for your education out of your pocket if you come back. And if you can't get a degree in 4 years with all the help athletes get...then it's on you. The amount of money everyday people pay for their own families education to have this racket for athletes lacks reality. If all kids get a scholarship for life...why not leave UK as fast as you can...you'll get a free ride later if you want it.
2. Cal's one and done is continually pushing the line of reasonableness further and further as the years go by. We were not a top 20 team and yet we still have 4 guys declaring for NBA...how can people explain away this nonsense?
3. The UK product is getting further and further from a great product.

How anyone sees the Vanderbilt situation as making sense....this is just amazing how many UK fans see all things Cal/players are good to go no matter what decision they make nowadays.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT