ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Vanderbilt is absolutely the most ridiculous...

It was a play on Cal’s quote and a joke, Nancy. I’m about as hateful to the program as Affleck to Damon. Take your windmill battles somewhere else, Mr Quixote. Screw yourself, you don’t know a thing about me. Nut job
I know you come across as a rude, crude man. But, don't take my word for it, just reread your posts. if you are not a"nut job" you will realize you are a dick.

I know you come across as a rude, crude man. But, don't take my word for it, just reread your posts. if you are not a"nut job" you will realize you are a dick.

I never said I’m not a dick.... in fairness. Now please continue with going to screw yourself

The potential is always there, but lets see how the season unfolds before we start penciling UK in the FF. Lots of possibilities and unprovens at this point.
So can we have your picks for the final 4 in April? Will that be late enough?

Yes Sir I understand. But WG is not seeing no million dollar payday anytime soon.
Probably right? Hard to say, D. Miller made over 5 million in his time overseas, now he's in the NBA . But he's gonna see a lot more than he would be getting at UK next season. Money, and minutes.

I mean honestly...and I am being honest. If I had the choice between having WG/JV back OR Travis come in...I would rather have Travis.

We will be young again but we do have some returning guys unlike some years (PJ, QG, Richards) to go along with an EXCELLENT class...

Im wayyy more stoked and hopeful for next year at this time than I was last year at this time

Exactly how I feel. This group has something special. If any coach can get them to come together, it Cal.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I am apathetic about Vanderbilt leaving as it doesn't really pertain to my life, but with that said, I honestly believe the only time you'll ever read about him again will be in the "where are they now" stories on KSR.

and that reality is setting in on alot more fans at UK of late. While some fans don't notice it and just see the program as a whole, other fans, and I suspect its a good number of them, have a hard time rooting for a kid who is only at UK because its the fastest way to a payday.

yes, they are coached to say the right things, do the right things - and their willingness to do that should count for something, but once you realize they have zero allegiance to UK, you just get burned on them - and the more that happens, the less interest you have in the season to season aspirations of the program.

When UK fans are being asked to cheer for a player that is on the court because they are chasing money, I just wonder how sustainable that relationship is. Yes, I'm old, but that isn't what college fandom is about. Matter of fact, its pretty damn far from what college is supposed to be about. We bleed blue, they bleed green.

Great post , kinda sad because it dead on balls accurate .

Reactions: KFuqua
Good riddance. Great rebounder, but the guy can’t even make layups. His range is about 4 inches, and that may be stretching it.

Last edited:
Wow! Can’t believe the venom on this board. JV had no choice and I don’t blame him for chasing his dream. I hope someone will give him a chance. I hope he does well and gets a contract at some point. Why? He was a Wildcat player. Why? Cal wanted him? Why? Because if he had been able to play without injury he would have made a big difference in how we ended up last year. That didn’t happen as we all know. Put yourself in his place. He’s got one chance to make the league. If he has another injury he’s done. If he has it here no pay day. If he gets a contract and then has an injury he gets paid. Easy choice as far as I’m concerned. When all is said and done I believe we get Travis and win number 9. No one will give a crap if we have a good season. Those of you attacking JV need to find something else to do with your spare time. So much hate inside a person leads to heart attacks and loneliness. Those of you with kids would be telling your kid to do the same thing. We are BBN we shouldn’t be hating on our kids. This is something Auburn, TN, Duke, UNC, IU and Kansas would do. But we’re better than that Right?
I am not attacking the kid. I am attacking the adults that are advising the kid. If he does get a pro contract, chances are it is not going to be a good one with his history of injuries. If he is able to play one full year of pro ball, he may get a better contract only if he has some good stats and a team is willing to pay him bigger bucks. He will not even come close to receiving the intense coaching and national spotlight he would be getting at UK next year. So he is leaving to make 50 grand a year in Lithuania or 35 grand in the G League? I seriously doubt any NBA team is gonna sink more than that into him. Hell, he could make that right now selling cable tv with no degree.
If he gets injured next year, not only will he have NO money, he will have NO degree either. If he returned this year, remained injury free and had a great season, he could potentially be making millions. If he returned and got injured, he is not missing out on much money at this point; his basketball career would be shot down and he could continue getting his degree for a life outside of basketball.
Sorry, it is just an assinine decision however you slice it.

I am not attacking the kid. I am attacking the adults that are advising the kid. If he does get a pro contract, chances are it is not going to be a good one with his history of injuries. If he is able to play one full year of pro ball, he may get a better contract only if he has some good stats and a team is willing to pay him bigger bucks. He will not even come close to receiving the intense coaching and national spotlight he would be getting at UK next year. So he is leaving to make 50 grand a year in Lithuania or 35 grand in the G League? I seriously doubt any NBA team is gonna sink more than that into him. Hell, he could make that right now selling cable tv with no degree.
If he gets injured next year, not only will he have NO money, he will have NO degree either. If he returned this year, remained injury free and had a great season, he could potentially be making millions. If he returned and got injured, he is not missing out on much money at this point; his basketball career would be shot down and he could continue getting his degree for a life outside of basketball.
Sorry, it is just an assinine decision however you slice it.

Pretty much identical to my thoughts. It IS a terrible decision. If we are looking at these kids futures as business decisions, he made a terrible one when he could EASILY go lottery/mid first round next year by coming back to work on his game, build more hype and make even MORE connections for himself.

$5-$9 million guaranteed from an NBA team > $30 -$50k (maybe) from a random G league team or obscure 3rd world country pro team

Reactions: sambowieshin
Also, not to say it is any way financially comparable (it isn't, I know) , but lets not forget that if a Cat graduated from UK, played at UK and was even a semi fan favorite...even if pro ball isn't in the cards, I am pretty sure with Cal/UK/Alumni connections a guy like JV...or any UK player really could EASILY find a very well paying job in Lexington or Kentucky after graduating. Easily.

1. This scholarship for lifetime needs to go away. You get a scholarship for the years you are playing for UK. If you leave before 4 years, you should pay for your education out of your pocket if you come back. And if you can't get a degree in 4 years with all the help athletes get...then it's on you. The amount of money everyday people pay for their own families education to have this racket for athletes lacks reality.

Disagree here. I don't think we should remove something that's good to try and prevent something that really only affects the fans and the scoreboard of a game. While I do agree with you that the cost of tuition has become increasingly absurd, I don't think a kid should be penalized for advancing early in his career. If they choose to come back and finish the academic challenge that they started, our university should encourage that.

2. Cal's one and done is continually pushing the line of reasonableness further and further as the years go by. We were not a top 20 team and yet we still have 4 guys declaring for NBA...how can people explain away this nonsense?
3. The UK product is getting further and further from a great product.

How anyone sees the Vanderbilt situation as making sense....this is just amazing how many UK fans see all things Cal/players are good to go no matter what decision they make nowadays.

I 100% agree here. When we are a 1 seed, legitimately a contender for the tournament and have 4-5 players that are unanimously considered to be first round draft picks, then by all means they head to the NBA after the college basketball season ends. The culture that has been created by a few guys who left prematurely and were not mentally or physically strong enough to compete at the pro level is hurting our program and our brand. Vanderbilt is a bad example for our school. I understand when a guy like Kyrie Irving comes in as a top, elite recruit, plays a few games and justifies the praise he's receiving but then gets injured, it's understandable that he should leave. But based on the info from a Sea of Blue article yesterday, Vanderbilt is only showing up on three of the countless mock draft sites, all of them showing mid-late 2nd round.

The fans who s#it on players constantly are a bad look for our fan base. On the other side, the ones who won't dare criticize a single thing about our players and coaching staff, while condemning people who do are living in a fantasy world. Similar to our political world, it's the extremists on both sides that are having the negative effect on things.

It was a play on Cal’s quote and a joke, Nancy. I’m about as hateful to the program as Affleck to Damon. Take your windmill battles somewhere else, Mr Quixote. Screw yourself, you don’t know a thing about me. Nut job
My post was directed at the multiple posts bashing personal decisions by UK players. Your post was mild compared to the others but it came at a time when I decided to answer all of the others. I can see that you were making a play o
If Vanderbilt screwed your woman and deek punched you in the face.... would you still hold the view that we should always be cheerleaders for the players no matter what?

Point is.... its ok for people to be upset at players or coaches.....
Sure, people can be disappointed but some on this board take their disappointment to a level that is beneath what we, as fans should stand for. I am embarrassed for our fan base when a few self serving idiots trash players because of a decision that players make for themselves and their families.

I’m not so sure it was JV jumping because he has frailties that could be further exposed.
Matter of fact, I think that was the least of it. I believe, honestly, it had much more to do with the handlers and his attitude clashing with Cal. Too many rumors of issues. Even Cal made snide comments about his playing and team chemistry and he NEVER throws his kids under the bus.
I wouldn’t be shocked at all to find out later that JV was either told that the handlers need to go and he needs to play, or he will be asked to leave. I also think this was known before the SECT. Cal gave him his chances.

My post was directed at the multiple posts bashing personal decisions by UK players. Your post was mild compared to the others but it came at a time when I decided to answer all of the others. I can see that you were making a play o

Sure, people can be disappointed but some on this board take their disappointment to a level that is beneath what we, as fans should stand for. I am embarrassed for our fan base when a few self serving idiots trash players because of a decision that players make for themselves and their families.

You are "embarrassed?" bc a few people take their disappointment a bit to far?

Out of the hundreds of thousands of UK fans, maybe like 4 have taken their disdain for JV "to far"

You are "embarrassed?" bc a few people take their disappointment a bit to far?

Out of the hundreds of thousands of UK fans, maybe like 4 have taken their disdain for JV "to far"
Maybe I should count them. But if it is four as you say, they stand out in a big way. It doesn't take many to make a fan base look bad.

Disagree here. I don't think we should remove something that's good to try and prevent something that really only affects the fans and the scoreboard of a game. While I do agree with you that the cost of tuition has become increasingly absurd, I don't think a kid should be penalized for advancing early in his career. If they choose to come back and finish the academic challenge that they started, our university should encourage that.

I'm not certain is it good to try. I see it nothing more than an "all in" recruiting pitch - something that moves UK ahead of other programs in a head to head recruiting battle and it sounds great to the parents. Send my kid to UK, he can chase his dream to play professional basketball and once he's done with that, if he needs to he can get an education on the Kentucky dime.

The problem is two fold - its just a matter of time before anyone who is recruiting these kids offers the same thing, Duke probably is already, and two - once its in place - its a safety cushion that encourages the kid to go to the G-league, overseas or whatever even if the NBA isn't an option - and that will happen at every program that jumps on that bandwagon - creating more turnover and a further dilution of college talent. Not that these kids are returning back to college because they value the education, but the message is now "school will always be there". So their sole reason to return is if they believe another year at UK versus making money in the g-league or in another professional league is more valuable to them in the long run. Even the marginal kids who realistically would never have a shot in the pros -who would stay 4 years and get an education - have the option to jump. Its penalty free decision making.

You can say its all about the kids, but its nothing more than a recruiting pitch, and the schools can do it because the reality is most of these kids will probably not come back. Its like an extended warranty on an item you're never going to use.

The potential is always there, but lets see how the season unfolds before we start penciling UK in the FF. Lots of possibilities and unprovens at this point.

I agree after missing such a golden chance last year with maybe the easiest path we will ever have, maybe we should let the season play out first

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I agree after missing such a golden chance last year with maybe the easiest path we will ever have, maybe we should let the season play out first

There was no golden chance...except to get our asses kicked in the Finals against Nova. And Cal would have been bashed for it...like always...for not winning in the Final Four enough.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I will have to look up the current Rookie scale, but I believe the lowest a first round pick will make in the NBA is around 1 million per year and that is a three year guaranteed contract. There is almost no chance that any basketball player not taken in the first round will make anywhere close to that in the same time frame. If Vanderbilt rolls the dice and bets on himself he could have returned to college, shown his injuries are behind him and that his game has improved, and easily played himself into the first round. By choosing to come out early he very likely is costing himself hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars.

People have to make their own choices, but for me this is a very short sighted move. I hope it works out for the young man but I have a pretty strong feeling that this is going turn into a cautionary tale and not a success story. I don't know who is advising him, but I doubt they have his interests at heart.

I'm not certain is it good to try. I see it nothing more than an "all in" recruiting pitch - something that moves UK ahead of other programs in a head to head recruiting battle and it sounds great to the parents. Send my kid to UK, he can chase his dream to play professional basketball and once he's done with that, if he needs to he can get an education on the Kentucky dime.

The problem is two fold - its just a matter of time before anyone who is recruiting these kids offers the same thing, Duke probably is already, and two - once its in place - its a safety cushion that encourages the kid to go to the G-league, overseas or whatever even if the NBA isn't an option - and that will happen at every program that jumps on that bandwagon - creating more turnover and a further dilution of college talent. Not that these kids are returning back to college because they value the education, but the message is now "school will always be there". So their sole reason to return is if they believe another year at UK versus making money in the g-league or in another professional league is more valuable to them in the long run. Even the marginal kids who realistically would never have a shot in the pros -who would stay 4 years and get an education - have the option to jump. Its penalty free decision making.

You can say its all about the kids, but its nothing more than a recruiting pitch, and the schools can do it because the reality is most of these kids will probably not come back. Its like an extended warranty on an item you're never going to use.

While your opinion probably isn't the most favorable one, I would say it's sadly the most accurate one. Other programs will begin doing this and yes, it will be looked at as a safety net for kids who jump to the NBA prematurely only to fall extremely short. The optimistic side of me says that it's great because kids who don't succeed in the NBA and don't want to go the route of heading overseas only to share a bunk bed with some teammate who speaks a different language have the ability to return to Kentucky and get a college degree. Even though the value of a college degree is not what it used to be 10/20 years ago, it will still help some of these guys land on their feet and begin their life beyond basketball. The pessimistic side of me agrees with your post. I just went with my optimistic side initially because we have enough negativity on these boards as it is.

Reactions: TankedCat
There was no golden chance...except to get our asses kicked in the Finals against Nova. And Cal would have been bashed for it...like always...for not winning in the Final Four enough.

definately was to make it to the final four, but not to win the championship

You don't have to play 80 games to sign a contract. Ask Fultz. Ask Giles. Some team obviously told him something worth hearing. Just wish him well.

Vanderbilt isn't even in the same conversation as Harry Giles and Markelle Fultz.

His whole situation, from the start, was just ridiculous really.

Don't wish him ill-will, but we will likely never hear from him again, unless you can live stream games played in Yemen.

This nonsense drives me crazy. The idea that any of us should give a crap about Vanderbilt over Kentucky fandom is beyond stupid. I don’t care one iota about Vanderbilt’s pro career. My interests lie with Kentucky’s success, not a guy who played like 10 games for us so he can “achieve a dream.”

Eating up the recruiting pitch at the expense of your own interests? None of you would care at all about any of these guys if they went to school somewhere else so let’s cut the “I just want to see these kids achieve their dreams” stuff.

We would’ve lost to Loyola in the next round. We weren’t beating them with the way they played and certainly weren’t beating Michigan. But yes, Nova would have destroyed us.

Vanderbilt isn't even in the same conversation as Harry Giles and Markelle Fultz.

His whole situation, from the start, was just ridiculous really.

Don't wish him ill-will, but we will likely never hear from him again, unless you can live stream games played in Yemen.
They’re delayed.

ADVERTISEMENT