ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden McDaniels plays Monday 11am on espnu

UK PG recruit Sharife Cooper having a nice game. 6-2 if you measure to the top of his ‘fro.:)

I still see McDaniels as a small forward who can play some power forward. He just doesn't do anything for me as a rim protector that the team needs to succeed next year. Whitney could probably fill the same need that McDaniels does which is why I would love to see the N'faly Dante reclassify.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
been watching the high school games this weekend like a lot of others
Cockburn is big, but not very mobile, doesn't rebound too well & isn't a rim protector
Dante is pretty mobile & seems to have a pretty touch but wanders outside a lot
Cooper seems pretty quick & pretty good range

how did Stewart look today in hoophall classic

Thankfully, today is the last game he'll play until the McDonald's All American game. The way high school hoops is scheduled makes it incredibly convenient for us to scout properly.

Too bad Cal didn’t sign the Miss St center 4 yrs ago. He has improved greatly and would have been great for us last year and this year. Type of player we need.

Not very impressed tbh. He’s 2-15 from the floor. Also he’s more of a long 3 type player than he is a true inside guy. Very little sample size here but I can tell you he’s not going to be a true 4/5 man for us. Need to grab someone with some size and strength!

Easy—they’re not machines! He is a highly skilled player who will add probably 10-15 lbs in UK’s weight program. A lot of people thought KD was too skinny and believe he averaged over 25 a game playing at Texas.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I think people are being way too harsh on Mcdaniels.He's a very talented young man who had a bad game.It happens to everyone.

Yep. Some folks are acting like Hurt is incapable of a bad game. These kids aren't machines. What if someone evaluated Hagans merely from one of his poorer games or SGA last year from the KSU game.

Many on here will be disappointed by him in year one. He’s not ready to be a impact player especially at college PF

That's fine. I'll take him for the long-term dividends. UK needs impact wing forwards in the NBA in order to sell UK as a healthy destination for that type of player down the road. McDaniels will be the type of NBA guy we'll want to be associated with on that end in a few years.

Reactions: Fox2monk
as i've said from the jump McDaniels has long term NBA superstar potential but he isn't ready to be a sure fire college star. People per usual called me a hater and not a real fan, and i didn't know anything about basketball etc.. Guess what I still want him. He's the kind of the 3 man the game is moving towards. We need guys like this. If Cal can get him clicking by January or February of next of next year that's what we need.

That's fine. I'll take him for the long-term dividends. UK needs impact wing forwards in the NBA in order to sell UK as a healthy destination for that type of player down the road. McDaniels will be the type of NBA guy we'll want to be associated with on that end in a few years.

I think Knox will grow into that roll as well.

Is it me or did ESPNU spend the entire day basically recruiting McDaniels to Washington? I got so tired of it I turned off the last game at half. Liked Brooks though looks ready for college right now IMO.

Unbelievable how some are discrediting the kid after one bad performance.

We have lot of reactionary folks in our fan base and just as many who don't do projections, to them a guy is what they see in the moment never mind what they will develop into in a year or two (or will fail to).

Add in some having extreme trouble seeing beyond three point shooting and you get a lot of "hot takes".

Hope it was just one of those games. I truly believe Cal and staff would greatly help this kid if he wants to be pushed. Some don't so we will see.

I would love to have McDaniels on the team next year but there is no way he's 6'11. I just wonder though what has changed at Washington to make these kids all of a sudden want to play there. You never see them on television so what gives. Quade was suppose to be somewhat homesick so he moves his butt clear across the other side of the country. A philly kid in Seattle, crazy stuff.

McDaniels will probably end up in the mold of Chandler Parsons but I don't see ANY toughness in him. I like the Herros, the Johnsons, the MKGs of the world. The ones who not only accept the challenge, but WANT to take it head on amd pound it into the ground. Hurt has that from what I've seen, that swagger and hustle.

McDaniels has all the gifts in the world but it looks like zero drive at this stage. He either comes here and Cal pulls it out of him, turns him into a superstar, or he comes in and pulls a EJ Montgomery/Skal and proves he needs more time before he's ready for the big boys.

Give me a 2nd year Ej Montgomery, And Some how land Edwards, with the commits we have coming in and let's BAll!

Jaden McDaniels plays like dog crap every time the bright lights come on. Not surprised in the least he’s laying an egg on national television.

He’s the definition of “Kentucky isn’t for everyone” and I all but guarantee you he doesn’t come to UK. He’ll stay in Washington and be Stewart’s wingman.

He’s exactly like Cam Reddish, all hype and measurables and very little actual basketball ability at this stage.
Except Reddish would be our best player if he were here. McDaniels has to put on a bunch of weight.

I still see McDaniels as a small forward who can play some power forward. He just doesn't do anything for me as a rim protector that the team needs to succeed next year. Whitney could probably fill the same need that McDaniels does which is why I would love to see the N'faly Dante reclassify.
So do we move Whitney to the four? He’s got the build but he much better suited at the 3

Reactions: jace2012
C - EJ/Richards
F - Whitney/McDaniels
F - McDaniels/Allen
G - Herro/IQ/Baker
G - Maxey/IQ

A starting five that can all shoot with efficiency. A lottery point guard. A leader in Herro. Two versatile lottery level forwards. A sophomore Montgomery dripping with lottery potential. Rim protection in Richards. A solid 6th man in IQ. Two good role players in Baker and Allen.

I like that roster more than anything we've had since 2015.

You gotta wonder.. What will McDaniels give us in just 6 months of basketball. For as good as he may be in the future, sounds like a player who will frustrate us all season.

Maybe we go all in on Hurt.. Maybe Cal needs to think about ways we can retain EJ and Richards.
But in 5 years we will remember him as a superstar and claim him as another NBA player.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
So do we move Whitney to the four? He’s got the build but he much better suited at the 3

Hopefully. I'd like to see Cal go with a faster, more versatile lineup. It could be a more elite version of what he ran his last few years at Memphis.

Reactions: jace2012
But in 5 years we will remember him as a superstar and claim him as another NBA player.

This x100. What McDaniels does at UK is secondary to what he could become. We need more representation from wing forwards in the league besides Knox and a mostly irrelevant MKG (sorry, but it's true).

Duke hasn't just beat us for the Barrets and Ingrams of the world because of Nike. They've also beaten us for those guys because K has a great track record with elite wing forwards and Cal has only had CDR and MKG historically. If you want to land these kids in abundance, you have to prove you can do well with them.

Give me a 2nd year Ej Montgomery, And Some how land Edwards, with the commits we have coming in and let's BAll!

A second year EJ probably starts at the 5 for UK next year, with Richards in reserve.

McDaniels most likely would find a spot at the 3. Whitney moves to the 4.

This x100. What McDaniels does at UK is secondary to what he could become. We need more representation from wing forwards in the league besides Knox and a mostly irrelevant MKG (sorry, but it's true).

Duke hasn't just beat us for the Barrets and Ingrams of the world because of Nike. They've also beaten us for those guys because K has a great track record with elite wing forwards and Cal has only had CDR and MKG historically. If you want to land these kids in abundance, you have to prove you can do well with them.

But if McDaniels has motor issues, it could backfire. For scouts and CBB writers to be that unimpressed with him (and not just for a weak Stat line), that's worrisome for his contributions next year.

Not that I wouldn't take him.. Just that if he doesn't pan out that plan turns into a detriment to his recruitment of SFs and stretch 4's going forward.

But if McDaniels has motor issues, it could backfire. For scouts and CBB writers to be that unimpressed with him (and not just for a weak Stat line), that's worrisome for his contributions next year.

Not that I wouldn't take him.. Just that if he doesn't pan out that plan turns into a detriment to his recruitment of SFs and stretch 4's going forward.

I don't think he'll bust. It's worth the risk as there's a greater chance he succeeds than busts. Having Whitney going after him for a season will only help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT