ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden McDaniels plays Monday 11am on espnu

That's the one of the dumbest and most arrogant things I've ever heard a recruit say. Not only is he forgetting about number 1 pick Fultz from 2 years ago, or other top talent theyve received in the last 10 years with multiple high 4 stars and a few 5 stars, but it also sounds like a selfish AND pitty move. He chose Washington because he is the kind of top recruit they've been missing and he can go there and be THE man, while also doing poor ole Washington a huge favor. It's a brag to him and insult to UW. What an ass.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
McDaniels has a great frame. Needs to bulk up a bit but that’s expected. He’s having to guard Scottie Lewis rn and is getting worked a bit. Lewis on the other hand is giving him trouble swiping at the ball every time Jaden dribbles. Nice 3 to end the first quarter for Jaden!

It's just been Kentucky's luck lately that we have to not only battle an NBA legend for recruits, but now players that go elsewhere trying to go toe to toe with us for the same guys.

Definitely a little snake bitten the last few years.

Federal Way seems to be a terribly coached team. McDaniels in love with the 3, has missed an awful lot. God given ability is there tho

Reactions: Aike
Not very impressed tbh. He’s 2-15 from the floor. Also he’s more of a long 3 type player than he is a true inside guy. Very little sample size here but I can tell you he’s not going to be a true 4/5 man for us. Need to grab someone with some size and strength!

My Lord I hate to be negative but we whiffed badly on Antoine and Lewis. Not impressed one bit with Jaden. Just doesn’t seem to give a damn. We don’t need any more of those! So disappointed...

Reactions: Cowboys&Wildcats
Scottie Lewis gets MVP of the game with 26pts on 9-14 from the field. He holds McDaniels to 10pts on 4-18 shooting. Sheesh.

Problem with McDaniels now is that he’s not strong enough for the 4 and unable as a 3 to guard a quicker wing like Lewis.

Jaden McDaniels plays like dog crap every time the bright lights come on. Not surprised in the least he’s laying an egg on national television.

He’s the definition of “Kentucky isn’t for everyone” and I all but guarantee you he doesn’t come to UK. He’ll stay in Washington and be Stewart’s wingman.

He’s exactly like Cam Reddish, all hype and measurables and very little actual basketball ability at this stage.

You gotta wonder.. What will McDaniels give us in just 6 months of basketball. For as good as he may be in the future, sounds like a player who will frustrate us all season.

Maybe we go all in on Hurt.. Maybe Cal needs to think about ways we can retain EJ and Richards.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
LineSki, I think that may be our best case scenario as well. I’m probably taking too much from one game but man oh man he sucked badly in this game with a huge opportunity to make a statement on national tv. It wouldn’t have been as bad if he’d have been going all out but he seemed to lack hustle and interest. Idk man, I couldn’t be more disappointed in what I saw.

Brooks may be a better option.
Doesn't have the upside but may fit the college game better and is a more versatile defender.

Since we are not getting the top big men anymore, I'd like to see us just start targeting the ones in the 50-80 range and be happy with solid bigs that are not going to wow anyone with flash or go OAD. I'd rather have the best guards and wings. Cal loves him some bigs though, and that's great if we get them. Problem is we aren't anymore.

Agreed. I watched Kofi Cockburn yesterday and he’s a poor mans Udoka Azubuike, he would fit that type of player. Really big, strong, and aggressive. Had 17 yesterday against #1 IMG.

Reactions: Catzman
Didn't shoot it well or have a great game. Happens. It's the problem with 1 game. I'd wait to see him play a bit more and on a even scale (he had nothing close to teammate like Antione/Lewis duo and playing at 8 am PCT isn't really how I'm going to project his career going) to see what he can do. A few things I noticed:

--He needs a coach like Cal, needs to be pushed and have things kept as real as possible. He loafed a bit, sulked because shots weren't falling, settled for being one dimensional as a scorer (stayed on outside instead of moving his game in) and the key aspect being missed by coaches right now that Cal understands is "positionless" doesn't just apply to letting tall kid jack up jumpers-it means making the entire team versatile enough that it's a tough cover. McDaniels has the skills, he needs to be pushed.

-Andrew Slater dropped a hint (IMO) of where McDaniels may be leaning when he stated after the game it won't be the last time Lewis and McDaniels match up-with Lewis being a UF commit, Usually taken as somewhat of a hint from a guy like Slater.

-McDaniels skill set is unmatched, you just have to be pushed to use it and not settle for proving you are a face up/jump shooter. He went from under the radar to blowing up over the Summer. You can see why it takes time to evaluate players, because if you see a 6'10 kid light it up with his skills in 1 game, you can't see areas he needs to improve and get blinded by his size/skills, and if you see him struggle with shot like today, you can write him off as a KD "Wannabe". It's why you evaluate what the player is/will be and how he fits with how you do things. Once again, Calipari is the type of coach this guy needs and it's just up to him/his camp to realize this. Go where he's allowed to do what he wants.....and it'll be delaying development.

-Watch these HS games just for fun/seeing guys we've seen in small doses (AAU) or not at all. Liked the mobility and nasty side to him, just needs to learn how to deal with struggles within a game and not settle or keep trying to do something that isn't working--which is why Cal pounds "drive the ball" into shooters heads--more ways you attack a defense, harder you are to defend. (Monk, Knox and now Herro are prime examples) Thought he was a good teammate and passer and didn't ball hog, and just needs to learn how to maximize his talent instead of settling for easy way-which so many young guys are doing--firing up jumpers/3's.

Scottie Lewis deserves credit for working on jumper-he was putrid all Spring/Summer and it already looks 10X better. Antione is a great fit for Nova and will be part of Jay Wright's best recruiting class he's had. Really like he/Robinson-Earl who played yesterday.

You gotta wonder.. What will McDaniels give us in just 6 months of basketball. For as good as he may be in the future, sounds like a player who will frustrate us all season.

Maybe we go all in on Hurt.. Maybe Cal needs to think about ways we can retain EJ and Richards.

I’ve been saying for awhile that is Hurt is the answer, not McDaniels. Hurt’s game will fit perfectly between Richards at the 5 and Whitney at the 3.

Agreed. I watched Kofi Cockburn yesterday and he’s a poor mans Udoka Azubuike, he would fit that type of player. Really big, strong, and aggressive. Had 17 yesterday against #1 IMG.

Has Cockburn committed anywhere ? Just have not heard much on him. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT