ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Pilgrim thinks we don't get Hunter because of our practice facility

Where did I say it didnt? I didn't even say they should build a new one. I'm just saying you're a fool if you think it doesn't matter.

Yeah, it “matters” like missing the tournament or losing in the opening round matters. It “matters” like having a nickel instead of a penny or $99 billion instead of $100 billion matters. We already have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Maybe with a new practice facility we could get the entire top 10 of the recruiting class and Cal could coach them all the way to the Sweet 16. Worth every penny.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yeah, it “matters” like missing the tournament or losing in the opening round matters. It “matters” like having a nickel instead of a penny or $99 billion instead of $100 billion matters. We already have the #1 recruiting class in the country. Maybe with a new practice facility we could get the entire top 10 of the recruiting class and Cal could coach them all the way to the Sweet 16. Worth every penny.
Or maybe we could get Hunter Dickenson and maybe now we don’t. No offense man but your comments are nothing but straw man BS.

It was asked and answered. Barnhart said Cal had $30 million in pledges, no actual money on hand for a facility that would cost $70 million. Y’all are saying he said no to a free facility as if Cal had all the funding needed. The Joe Craft Center cost $30 million and y’all think you can build a new one today with construction costs and inflation for the same money? Y’all can be sold any lie just like that “offensive coordinator “ for basketball BS.
There is no "y'all" to this. I'm not blaming anyone. Simply said it's a question that needs to be asked. Also from what I understood it wasn't about building a new facility, it was about upgrading it. Upgrades are necessity for all the top programs in both major sports. No matter what people think of Calipari, he's not wrong in this discussion and I agree with everything he said about Kentucky's status as a basketball program and how people are often shocked at the facilities not matching the status. You can not like how someone coaches or is running the program and still agree with a take they have about a topic that helps the program whether he's the HC or not.

So you answered the question. It's not happening. So what is Barnhart doing to upgrade this moving forward? Calipari or not, it's a huge part of his job to get projects like this done.

Jesus, y’all are still on this nonsense. BS was reported. He allegedly had $30 million in pledges for a practice facility estimated to cost $70 million+. What’s obsurd is the weird obsession over a damn basketball practice facility. Here is Kansas’ facility, can someone tell me what is special about this?

There's more to a facility than a gym. Are you truly that simple that you don't understand that a facility is about other aspects than the gym itself? Not sure why someone asking/discussion this issue and not accusing a side but talking about what was allegedly said is so upsetting to you personally?

The words "IF" and "Supposedly" were used. It was a topical discussion and seems simple enough. One side is saying they can get upgrades done, the other is saying they can't. #1 thing to achieve is to improve the facilities and operate as a top tier program. It's not about Calipari or Barnhart. It's about keeping Kentucky among the top programs in the country in an area that others have passed them by.

If you honestly don't think this stuff matters, then why should Mark Stoops and his mid level FB program get any $ since he'll never compete with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc...?? Why even waste a dime there. Just tell him "you're good". He needs upgrades to compete and improve the program and deserves it, but if we operate with mindset you seem to embrace, I'd pump all the $ into Basketball and tell him--work with what you have.

There's more to a facility than a gym. Are you truly that simple that you don't understand that a facility is about other aspects than the gym itself? Not sure why someone asking/discussion this issue and not accusing a side but talking about what was allegedly said is so upsetting to you personally?

The words "IF" and "Supposedly" were used. It was a topical discussion and seems simple enough. One side is saying they can get upgrades done, the other is saying they can't. #1 thing to achieve is to improve the facilities and operate as a top tier program. It's not about Calipari or Barnhart. It's about keeping Kentucky among the top programs in the country in an area that others have passed them by.

If you honestly don't think this stuff matters, then why should Mark Stoops and his mid level FB program get any $ since he'll never compete with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc...?? Why even waste a dime there. Just tell him "you're good". He needs upgrades to compete and improve the program and deserves it, but if we operate with mindset you seem to embrace, I'd pump all the $ into Basketball and tell him--work with what you have.
Do you know what the issue is with UK’s facilities vs others? I’m truly curious on it. When this popped up last year, I asked others what the issues were and never got a clear answer. Is it because UK’s is just slightly outdated and not modern? I’m guessing it’s like a brand new apartment with all the fancy amenities vs a slightly older one that is still nice but has aged a bit. But I’m am really curious what is the big thing people mean when they say UK facilities are not up to par with others. I always like your feedback, so figured I’d just ask you ha.

There is no "y'all" to this. I'm not blaming anyone. Simply said it's a question that needs to be asked. Also from what I understood it wasn't about building a new facility, it was about upgrading it. Upgrades are necessity for all the top programs in both major sports. No matter what people think of Calipari, he's not wrong in this discussion and I agree with everything he said about Kentucky's status as a basketball program and how people are often shocked at the facilities not matching the status. You can not like how someone coaches or is running the program and still agree with a take they have about a topic that helps the program whether he's the HC or not.

So you answered the question. It's not happening. So what is Barnhart doing to upgrade this moving forward? Calipari or not, it's a huge part of his job to get projects like this done.
Specifically what upgrades are you talking about? We’ve had several including a $4 million dollar locker room, new floor, new lights, new video room. What facilities aren’t matching matching the status?

Do you know what the issue is with UK’s facilities vs others? I’m truly curious on it. When this popped up last year, I asked others what the issues were and never got a clear answer. Is it because UK’s is just slightly outdated and not modern? I’m guessing it’s like a brand new apartment with all the fancy amenities vs a slightly older one that is still nice but has aged a bit. But I’m am really curious what is the big thing people mean when they say UK facilities are not up to par with others. I always like your feedback, so figured I’d just ask you ha.
They will never give you any specifics because they’re just repeating propaganda. Our facilities are top notch despite the BS they put out.

I do not. It's why I asked specifically about this topic but apparently annoyed the faction of the fans who don't like the topic being brought up. Maybe we should go back and read what Calipari said and see if he mentioned specifics. I do know that facility upgrades are mentioned by all programs in both major sports. For instance and I get it's Alabama but many would say Kentucky is the Alabama of CBB. Here's a peek at some of the things they added in '21:

Specifically what upgrades are you talking about? We’ve had several including a $4 million dollar locker room, new floor, new lights, new video room. What facilities aren’t matching matching the status?

I don't know--I'm ASKING. It's a topic and it's being brought up by ATHLETES. It's why I ASKED the question and said I'm curious to know what is going on. You act like you are or work for Mitch Barnhart. If recruits/their families are talking of how behind the facilities are, then it's something worth discussing. Calipari or not-they need to stay ahead of this, which is true. I'm not accusing anyone of anything other than pointing out that Athletic Dept and Barnhart or whomever is the AD needs to get this done. It's part of the job. Whether we feel it's needed is irrelevant, players saying something does matter.

It's why I brought up that Calipari said he had $/donations lined up and was told no. Is that true (even mentioned that a few times and said both men should be asked). You responded and seem to get agitated/angered by the discussion which is completely relevant and necessary no matter who is the coach or AD.

I don't know--I'm ASKING. It's a topic and it's being brought up by ATHLETES. It's why I ASKED the question and said I'm curious to know what is going on. You act like you are or work for Mitch Barnhart. If recruits/their families are talking of how behind the facilities are, then it's something worth discussing. Calipari or not-they need to stay ahead of this, which is true. I'm not accusing anyone of anything other than pointing out that Athletic Dept and Barnhart or whomever is the AD needs to get this done. It's part of the job. Whether we feel it's needed is irrelevant, players saying something does matter.

It's why I brought up that Calipari said he had $/donations lined up and was told no. Is that true (even mentioned that a few times and said both men should be asked). You responded and seem to get agitated/angered by the discussion which is completely relevant and necessary no matter who is the coach or AD.
I could be wrong, but I believe some maybe agitated because this was discussed at length when it happened and Calipari’s statements are not true. Barnhart was willing to go on record and answer questions about this but good luck trying to get Calipari to provide direct answers to interview questions.

Calipari does not have $30M lined up. He “thinks” that’s how much he could quickly raise. That’s a big difference. Secondly, what he’s asking for would cost $70M. So the money Calipari thinks he can get is less than half of what’s needed. It also means that the project will need capital investment from UK. In order for that to happen, there is a process that must be followed and a firmer commitment on donations in order to get the project off the ground.

Barnhart told Calipari we could do this, but explained here’s what has to happen next to get this going. Instead of getting to work on these next steps, Calipari decided it would be better to complain about it to the media. This has resulted in the practice facility thing being blown way out of proportion.

He had $30 million in pledges, not donations. The Joe Craft center cost $30 million 17 years ago. A new facility would cost $70 million.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe some maybe agitated because this was discussed at length when it happened and Calipari’s statements are not true. Barnhart was willing to go on record and answer questions about this but good luck trying to get Calipari to provide direct answers to interview questions.

Calipari does not have $30M lined up. He “thinks” that’s how much he could quickly raise. That’s a big difference. Secondly, what he’s asking for would cost $70M. So the money Calipari thinks he can get is less than half of what’s needed. It also means that the project will need capital investment from UK. In order for that to happen, there is a process that must be followed and a firmer commitment on donations in order to get the project off the ground.

Barnhart told Calipari we could do this, but explained here’s what has to happen next to get this going. Instead of getting to work on these next steps, Calipari decided it would be better to complain about it to the media. This has resulted in the practice facility thing being blown way out of proportion.
See that's all I wanted to hear, an answer. Now they need to get going on the process of improving the facilities and come up with a plan for the future. I don't care if Calipari is coaching or not. It's an important aspect to help the program. Appreciate your answers and those of us who didn't follow this were asking and it was only brought up because it applied to what Dickinson's family supposedly didn't like about their visit and has been brought up by other players as well.

Appreciate your response.

I mean, our facilities do suck compared to a ton of teams, we are very much average in terms of P6 schools and their basketball facilities.

We can be frustrated with Cal's lack of success on the court, acknowledge this class is incredible, AND admit we need a huge upgrade in our facilities. All things can be true. And all things are true.

No idea why our fans think it's 1 or the other with these things.
seems pretty nice to me. Are you pushing Cal's narrative?

Best post on the topic so far. Well said.

What other facilities have you been to?

I actually used to work for a company that had me travel for work all over the place, and you'd be shocked at how easy it is to go check these out.

Usually if you walk in and ask the secretary for a tour, they will have a manager show you around, I would do it all the time, only got turned away once or twice.

Almost all of the ones I mentioned above I have visited, plus:

Oklahoma
Florida
Florida State
Miami
UCF
Georgia Tech
Kansas State
Rice
SMU
Nebraska
Michigan State
etc, etc,

I have actually been to a 2 or 3 dozen minimum probably. They are really cool to check out.

Yep, he doesn't answer. But he just "threw out" the wild claim that UK facilities suck compared to "a ton of teams."
It's a ridiculous point. A handful of teams might have better facilities, if they have been updated in the last 5 years or so. Hardly a "ton" of teams as that is just ridiculous hyperbole.

Reactions: dl51344
Yep, he doesn't answer. But he just "threw out" the wild claim that UK facilities suck compared to "a ton of teams."

Damn man, I thought we were having a nice chat? What's up with this response?

You gave me 10 whole minutes to respond and I was still typing it out??

WTF?

• Haha
I actually used to work for a company that had me travel for work all over the place, and you'd be shocked at how easy it is to go check these out.

Usually if you walk in and ask the secretary for a tour, they will have a manager show you around, I would do it all the time, only got turned away once or twice.

Almost all of the ones I mentioned above I have visited, plus:

Oklahoma
Florida
Florida State
Miami
UCF
Georgia Tech
Kansas State
Rice
SMU
Nebraska
Michigan State
etc, etc,

I have actually been to a 2 or 3 dozen minimum probably. They are really cool to check out.
I'd be willing to bet that Kentucky has better facilities than all of those.

I'd be willing to bet that Kentucky has better facilities than all of those.

Kentucky does have better facilities than those, which is why I did not list them in my first post.

Kansas State, Nebraska and Michigan State are really close or maybe on par or slightly better than Joe Craft, but it's super close.

But I promise man, look up the ones I posted earlier, they are all nicer than Joe Craft.

I am not blowing smoke, I think you've seen me post enough to know I don't just put BS out there like Sandler just insinuated.

Joe Craft feels old and dated, has leaks everywhere, the team lounge area is really small, etc.

Oklahoma's was terrible but they just built a brand new sports performance center attached to the practice facility (funded by Blake Griffin), and it's incredible. I'll post it if I can find it.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Kentucky does have better facilities than those, which is why I did not list them in my first post.

Kansas State, Nebraska and Michigan State are really close or maybe on par or slightly better than Joe Craft, but it's super close.

But I promise man, look up the ones I posted earlier, they are all nicer than Joe Craft.

I am not blowing smoke, I think you've seen me post enough to know I don't just put BS out there like Sandler just insinuated.

Joe Craft feels old and dated, has leaks everywhere, the team lounge area is really small, etc.

Oklahoma's was terrible but they just built a brand new sports performance center attached to the practice facility (funded by Blake Griffin), and it's incredible. I'll post it if I can find it.

Here it is: https://soonersports.com/sports/2019/8/13/211773565

I toured it in 2021 when I was in OKC for work, it was awesome. They also had a whole wall full of Jordan shoes similar to UNC's and it was sweet also.

But other than these two, was really surprised at how outdated Oklahoma's was (for the record, it was built 1 year before Joe Craft).

Here it is: https://soonersports.com/sports/2019/8/13/211773565

I toured it in 2021 when I was in OKC for work, it was awesome. They also had a whole wall full of Jordan shoes similar to UNC's and it was sweet also.

But other than these two, was really surprised at how outdated Oklahoma's was (for the record, it was built 1 year before Joe Craft).
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54

We should build a $14 million practice facility to double Oklahoma $7 million practice facility.

This feels old and outdated?

This feels old and outdated?

Have you ever been there in person?

Have you been to 2, 3, 4 dozen other practice facilities?

If not, then sit this one out, because I have. Been to Joe Craft couple dozen times and been to the facilities of probably at least 25-30 other schools.

It is outdated. Not sure what else to tell ya bro.

Have you ever been there in person?

Have you been to 2, 3, 4 dozen other practice facilities?

If not, then sit this one out, because I have. Been to Joe Craft couple dozen times and been to the facilities of probably at least 25-30 other schools.

It is outdated. Not sure what else to tell ya bro.
I’m not sitting anything out. I know BS propaganda when I see it. Dickinson didn’t have an issue with Villanova’s facilities but ours are an issue for his one year? LOL OK. In what ways are our facilities lacking? What these schools with superior facilities have the we don’t? When you say outdated what are you talking about that’s outdated? Is it the weight room, practice court, players lounge, meeting rooms, or something else?

If you can’t give specifics, sit this one out.

Dickenson was just the canary in the coal mine

The best players will ask for a blank check

there will never be enough money for a state of the art practice facility

nor will it matter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT